• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One-handed Operation for All Screens

One-handed operation feature can be found on almost every phablet device out there. Its main purpose is to make it easier for consumers to use certain functions such as the keyboard and keypad. With the Galaxy Note 3, Samsung brings one-handed operation up a notch by allowing you to adjust the scale and position of all screens by swiping the edge of the screen.

7aBofSG.jpg
Samsung gonna samsung

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-samsung-galaxy-note-3-s-pen-refocused

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Nexus line is released earlier and earlier each year.

January: Nexus One
December: Nexus S
November: Galaxy Nexus
November: Nexus 4

Nexus 4 was released like a week earlier than the GN. Maybe the N5 will come out in late October.

Eanan

Ok so im recently after switching from Windows Phone to Android and have a few questions that id love to get some answers on, on if it is possible to do these things that I used to like about windows phone. Thanks id advance.

1) When I set my pin or pattern lock on my phone, is it possible to have it only show up after 15-30 mins of the phone being locked without unlocking, as its slightly irritating having to do the pattern every single time I unlock the phone, which can happen every minute or so during college hours.

2) Is it possible to show my birthday calender, which ive added to google calender, to show on the home screen under the time or whatever and change automatically.

3) On the native gmail app, whenever I load it, it always shows the "priority" inbox first and I have to keep switching back to regular inbox. Is it possible to have it show the regular inbox including priority emails also as standard.

4) On email topic, is it possible to merge both of my gmail accounts (and possibly my yahoo also) into one email client and not have to keep switching between the two unless I specify. Windows phone did this well, all emails from various domains merged together into one big inbox.

5) Is it possible to merge my contacts together with their skype, google +, facebook, twitter, phone number etc. details and have them all appear together when I click their name on the people/phone app?

6) Finally, whats the equivalent on Nokia maps for android, in that you can download complete maps of your country, and save them on your phones memory, and then use very little data when using it for driving directions with GPS.

Thanks.

Hey for anyone here that has ever made an app. Is it hard to learn to do from scratch? I mean not complete scratch. I just find myself really bored sometimes and was thinking about picking it up as a hobby and just learning to do some stuff. What language is best to start off with that you can do a lot with but isn't overly difficult?? Javascript? Objective C seems difficult. Is there something else I should know? Any tips on a site to start?

Help cure my occasional (sometimes frequent) boredom. I figure it's a cool thing to learn.

kehs

Banned
eanan, for the timeout settings go to ..settings > security > Automatic Lock > Bunch of time settings from 0 to 30 minutes. And of course turn off the "power button automatically locks" option.

Eanan

eanan, for the timeout settings go to ..settings > security > Automatic Lock > Bunch of time settings from 0 to 30 minutes. And of course turn off the "power button automatically locks" option.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for.

If it matters for the other questions also, im running 4.3 on nexus 4.

Ok so im recently after switching from Windows Phone to Android and have a few questions that id love to get some answers on, on if it is possible to do these things that I used to like about windows phone. Thanks id advance.

1) When I set my pin or pattern lock on my phone, is it possible to have it only show up after 15-30 mins of the phone being locked without unlocking, as its slightly irritating having to do the pattern every single time I unlock the phone, which can happen every minute or so during college hours.
what phone and what version of Android? 4.0 and up should have the option to lock after X minutes in security settings when you have a pattern/pin/pass lock.

2) Is it possible to show my birthday calender, which ive added to google calender, to show on the home screen under the time or whatever and change automatically.
use a calendar widget? i dunno...

3) On the native gmail app, whenever I load it, it always shows the "priority" inbox first and I have to keep switching back to regular inbox. Is it possible to have it show the regular inbox including priority emails also as standard.
settings -> @gmail account -> inbox settings

4) On email topic, is it possible to merge both of my gmail accounts (and possibly my yahoo also) into one email client and not have to keep switching between the two unless I specify. Windows phone did this well, all emails from various domains merged together into one big inbox.
you can use the email app but you'll have to set it up for POP/IMAP

5) Is it possible to merge my contacts together with their skype, google +, facebook, twitter, phone number etc. details and have them all appear together when I click their name on the people/phone app?
there are replacement phone apps that do stuff like that, and some OEM phone apps also have that type of functionality.

6) Finally, whats the equivalent on Nokia maps for android, in that you can download complete maps of your country, and save them on your phones memory, and then use very little data when using it for driving directions with GPS.

Thanks.
there are several apps like that, both paid and free... NavFree is a popular free one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hey for anyone here that has ever made an app. Is it hard to learn to do from scratch? I mean not complete scratch. I just find myself really bored sometimes and was thinking about picking it up as a hobby and just learning to do some stuff. What language is best to start off with that you can do a lot with but isn't overly difficult?? Javascript? Objective C seems difficult. Is there something else I should know? Any tips on a site to start?

Help cure my occasional (sometimes frequent) boredom. I figure it's a cool thing to learn.

I'd say JavaScript is the easiest because everyone already has a browser and text editor and that's really all you need. The Chrome Dev Tools (included with Chrome) also makes it really easy to debug. JS lets you hang yourself if you're not careful though, it was rushed out the door in the early 90's and parts of it shows. Thankfully it's gotten really easy to ignore the bad parts and focus on the good parts. Speaking of, I would recommend JavaScript: The Good Parts if you're interested enough to read a book on the subject. It's super short and a light, pleasant read.

I have no experience targeting Android with JS though. My only knowledge of developing Android apps is with Java and man, Java can be a huge pain sometimes. The static/non-static stuff drives me up the fricking wall, and having to do threads in Java is not very fun if you don't use the right libraries (and even with them, Java was not designed to be asynchronous like JS is...)

Hope that helps. I always like answering questions about this stuff, lol.

Use a calendar widget that supports multiple calendars? I use Neat Calendar Widget.

You can set up GMail to fetch from other providers and enable the "send as" function so you can e-mail using those addresses from GMail. Alternatively, you can add GMail to the default e-mail app as POP3/IMAP. I prefer the former.

I don't use this feature but some apps have contact syncing in the accounts section of the system settings like Facebook, G+, LinkedIN.

I'd say JavaScript is the easiest because everyone already has a browser and text editor and that's really all you need. The Chrome Dev Tools (included with Chrome) also makes it really easy to debug. JS lets you hang yourself if you're not careful though, it was rushed out the door in the early 90's and parts of it shows. Thankfully it's gotten really easy to ignore the bad parts and focus on the good parts. Speaking of, I would recommend JavaScript: The Good Parts if you're interested enough to read a book on the subject. It's super short and a light, pleasant read.

I have no experience targeting Android with JS though. My only knowledge of developing Android apps is with Java and man, Java can be a huge pain sometimes. The static/non-static stuff drives me up the fricking wall, and having to do threads in Java is not very fun if you don't use the right libraries (and even with them, Java was not designed to be asynchronous like JS is...)

Hope that helps. I always like answering questions about this stuff, lol.
thanks. And Yeah back in university I took 2 or 3 Java classes and remember just saying WUT most of the time. But I started doing javascript on my own just by doing tutorials and stuff and it seems a lot more friendlier to learn. And I'll check out that book.

I just don't get all these tools. Do all android devs use the SDK that comes with eclipse and all that? Is that what you use to make apps? I once made something stupid in unity and was able to run it on android pretty easily but it was very basic. I was just reading this because it was the first link that came up: http://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/running-app.html and I'm already semi lost when it starts talking about manifests lol.

That's the problem, I always want to get into this but the beginning is always so overwhelming. Guess I just gotta keep at it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
thanks. And Yeah back in university I took 2 or 3 Java classes and remember just saying WUT most of the time. But I started doing javascript on my own just by doing tutorials and stuff and it seems a lot more friendlier to learn. And I'll check out that book.

I just don't get all these tools. Do all android devs use the SDK that comes with eclipse and all that? Is that what you use to make apps? I once made something stupid in unity and was able to run it on android pretty easily but it was very basic. I was just reading this because it was the first link that came up: http://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/running-app.html and I'm already semi lost when it starts talking about manifests lol.

That's the problem, I always want to get into this but the beginning is always so overwhelming. Guess I just gotta keep at it.

Yeah, I've been using Eclipse and the Android ADT plugin since it first came out six years ago. Eclipse isn't great but it could be worse, I guess. My only real issue is that it tends to freeze and slowdown on my computer.

Eclipse with the ADT plugin makes it pretty easy. All you really need to know is that after you install the plugin, all you need to do is make a new blank Android project and setup an Android VM image (or set your phone up for development by installing the right drivers and changing some settings on your phone.)

You only need to mess with the Manifest if you're adding permissions or changing details about how your app should run. I _think_ there's a visual editor for it with the ADT plugin, so you shouldn't get too lost.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Good addition that isn't a big deal to me. But I can appreciate it. Now where's Voice SMS integration?

jokkir

Yeah, I've been using Eclipse and the Android ADT plugin since it first came out six years ago. Eclipse isn't great but it could be worse, I guess. My only real issue is that it tends to freeze and slowdown on my computer.

Eclipse with the ADT plugin makes it pretty easy. All you really need to know is that after you install the plugin, all you need to do is make a new blank Android project and setup an Android VM image (or set your phone up for development by installing the right drivers and changing some settings on your phone.)

You only need to mess with the Manifest if you're adding permissions or changing details about how your app should run. I _think_ there's a visual editor for it with the ADT plugin, so you shouldn't get too lost.

I find Eclipse to be pretty fast for the most part. The speed difference going from Android Studio to Eclipse is probably why I think so lol.

Manifest isn't too hard to understand, I think. Just the behaviour of your app like what Andrex said. Plus, what activity it uses.

How many months did that take them? We're not going to see SMS support for another 2-3 years at this rate.

It had it before. Just not as obvious as that icon

I find Eclipse to be pretty fast for the most part. The speed difference going from Android Studio to Eclipse is probably why I think so lol.

Manifest isn't too hard to understand, I think. Just the behaviour of your app like what Andrex said. Plus, what activity it uses.

It had it before. Just not as obvious as that icon
is it normal for it to be this confusing at first? I'm still going through that build your first app guide and it's confusing left and right. I get the basic concepts like the view and viewgroup stuff so far but there seems to be no introduction to all this code, it's just there. I'm guessing I'll pick up on it as I go?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
is it normal for it to be this confusing at first? I'm still going through that build your first app guide and it's confusing left and right. I get the basic concepts like the view and viewgroup stuff so far but there seems to be no introduction to all this code, it's just there. I'm guessing I'll pick up on it as I go?

Yeah I don't ever read any of that unless I'm looking for a solution. Just focus on building one part of the app at a time and looking up what you need to do that.

jokkir

Yeah, you'll understand it the more you keep at it. I'm actually still learning and still building my first app but things are slowly starting to make sense the more I look up Android development (videos, documents, tutorials, etc.) It's like every other programming language and the steep learning curve.

Yeah I don't ever read any of that unless I'm looking for a solution. Just focus on building one part of the app at a time and looking up what you need to do that.
yeah that's what my game plan sort of

Yeah, you'll understand it the more you keep at it. I'm actually still learning and still building my first app but things are slowly starting to make sense the more I look up Android development (videos, documents, tutorials, etc.) It's like every other programming language and the steep learning curve.
yeah like above I'll probably have a small idea in mind just to see something made and then just research how to do specific parts and hopefully it all makes sense.

Eanan

Thanks for the replies guys, some very helpful info there.

One final thing thats been bugging me a lot lately, is when I double tap in a game, on the menu, or where ever, the screen zooms in and shows a blue border around the display. Is there anyway to disable this as I cant figure it out, as its very annoying in games where you have to tap fast.

Running 4.3.

With all the recent updates I can say that I won't feel disgusted anymore, should I switch from Windows Phone to Android. That is a good thing. Thinking about Andrex' use of those fucking faces however ...

jokkir

And remember, if Developer Options isn't enabled you have to go to Settings > About and tap on Build Number a couple of times to activate it.

JonnyBrad

How many months did that take them? We're not going to see SMS support for another 2-3 years at this rate.

It took them 18 months to add a history link to the menu in chrome. I don't know wtf goes on at google sometimes. They need a better management structure.

Husker86

Search for Android Tutorials from MyBringBack or TheNewBoston. Should be the same tutorials by the same guy, but they're posted slightly differently for his website (mybringback) or TNB.

This was the first thing I started with when learning programming and he is pretty easy to listen to and nice and detailed. He assumes no Java background which makes it even easier if you had no programming background, like me.

SimleuqiR

tumblr_lt3hacxl1f1r2bilso1_500.gif

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/25/google-search-update-rolling-out-as-well/

Google Search just received an updated on Android as well within the last few minutes. It’s like a Google app update holiday!

This update makes your phone waterproof, to take advantage of the golden showers.

Today's the day for updates to Google's Android apps. The latest to get a revision is the company's main Search app, which sees a slew of new features and minor tweaks. That includes the ability to display a related website based on your current location, as well as offer sports and flight updates in realtime instead of on a 15-minute delay. Beyond that, you'll now be able to set reminders based on things like album or book releases, view event tickets from select websites, and see additional Smart TV cards (which require an actual smart TV) for news and music that's currently on your TV. Another feature that's said to be "rolling out gradually" is the ability to automatically tell others when you've left work.

Threi

notag

Forward your yahoo emails to your gmail account, create a label and filters so you know which email came from where, add outgoing accounts to your gmail so you can send using those email addresses

*edit*

A bunch of google apps updating at once? Looks like it's time to take a break soon

Toki767

I hate the way Google rolls out updates in stages. Just let everyone be able to update the app at the same time instead of waiting.

To me, the Note sort of stands as its own product line with the pen functions and size being differentiators.

With this Galaxy Fucks, though?

I wonder how they'll even price it. Does the S4 get a price drop or does this one fit in between the S4 and Note 3?

Groof

I hate the way Google rolls out updates in stages. Just let everyone be able to update the app at the same time instead of waiting.

Seriously. And as easy as it is, I dislike sideloading them. It feels like they're forcing themselves to use staged rollouts just because they have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom