• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

That explains the awkward sexting encounter I just had.

sidenote: milch, my 521 gets here tomorrow, please dont let van go off the deep end when I ask about stuffs in the wp thread. =(

Is this your first time with WP? If so, I'd be interested in some quick opinions, always been interested in it.

Milchjon

Unfortunately, Apple’s Slo-Mo tool only applies to clips that the Camera or Photos app exports—and the only way you can currently do that is through the Share sheet, which only supports YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo. Try and upload a video to a third-party app like Instagram, and all you can post is your 120fps source video.

Wait, what? Even fucking WP has had a "share to 3rd party apps" function forever.

Fatalah

Well, back to the Google Talk app then. Come on Google, we want full-fledged statuses back!

So it seems the Sept 25 Hangouts update I installed yesterday is not version 1.2, which explains why I don't see status icons.

The app is marked as 1.2 in the Play store, but 1.1 in the About section of the app. What is going on?!

Nicktendo86

Wait, what? Even fucking WP has had a "share to 3rd party apps" function forever.

In a lot of ways iOS is so behind the game it is not even funny, I try to explain these BASIC features that iOS is missing to iPhone users and most of the time they just don't care. Dat ecosystem lock in.

Edit: Fatalah, they do staged rollouts so only some people get the update at a certain time. Idea is they can locate bugs and fix them before everyone gets the update, but it is frustrating. Sometimes the log can update, you think you are getting the latest version, but you are updating to an older version.

Milchjon

To be honest, I played around with my co-workers recently updated (to iOS 7) iPhone 5 and animations on that OS are far ahead of anything I've seen on the Nexus line.

Not sure how el Goog will ever get Android to be that smooth. Maybe never.

They also seem to be causing actual motion sickness for some users :-D

gcubed

To be honest, I played around with my co-workers recently updated (to iOS 7) iPhone 5 and animations on that OS are far ahead of anything I've seen on the Nexus line.

In pretty sure if you added up all the time wasted waiting for the animations in ios7 and compounding that over years it could be in the days of your life wasted

SimleuqiR

They also seem to be causing actual motion sickness for some users :-D

Well, that's a testament to their "realism".
:-D

In pretty sure if you added up all the time wasted waiting for the animations in ios7 and compounding that over years it could be in the days of your life wasted

It's useless I know, but it's pretty and it sells phones.
First impressions are important. To someone coming from iOS looking to jump onto Android, the OS might seem slow and buggy as fuck. Which is not the case. It just might be perceived that way.

tino

Banned

Pppss animation transition is so beginner. I only use gesture to launch apps. Zero transition.

snacknuts

we all knew her

iOS: Looking great while not doing what you want to do (see: video sharing issue above)

Zeppu

I never quite understood why smoothness/animations are widely considered to be the the number 1 and 2 'features' which make an OS good. It baffles me as much as the rendering resolution/refresh rate for games.

A shitty game at 1080p60 is still a shit game.
A good game at a lower resolution, stuttery is still a good game but with annoying traits.

DXPett1

The app is marked as 1.2 in the Play store, but 1.1 in the About section of the app. What is going on?!

Where was it marked as 1.2? Remember the description section when updated is updated instantly where as the apk and version section is stagnated (still have no idea why this and OTA are this terrible to release)

A good game at a lower resolution, stuttery is still a good game but with annoying traits.

Bad analogy. Watching a movie on a flickering SD TV is not as enjoyable as watching it on a well calibrated hdtv. It's the means not the end.

Talon

I never quite understood why smoothness/animations are widely considered to be the the number 1 and 2 'features' which make an OS good. It baffles me as much as the rendering resolution/refresh rate for games.

You're conflating two different things. People that tout iOS' smoothness is talking about the responsiveness in the interaction of your fingers and the OS (see: the old scrolling on web pages, double tapping on an area and zooming in on a text block accurately).

A better metaphor is:

A game with tight, precise controls.

tino

Banned

Becasue this is one thing iPhone fanboys can always count on that has been better, is better and will always better than other systems.

What I don't understand this has never been brought up in OSX vs Windows frame wars. Mac OS (since OS9 ) has always had much smoother and more consistant transition than WIndows but nobody seem to care.

mturco

Kingdom Rush Frontiers is (finally) out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ironhidegames.android.kingdomrushfrontiers&hl
le1T0YGhEr9mCRMUqr0IbeSiRtF80uKwiZX_8lkff8HTQaeAWirAeFawZCknGNqU30U=h900-rw

Because it's simply a shitty and annoying experience. I find it exteremly annoying to use my Galaxy Nexus, when the scrolling and animation all stutter. It makes me feel like I'm waiting half of the time for the task to finish, because the animation is so slow and stuttery.

SimleuqiR

So the Hangouts online notification works.

This is my cousin:

She has two Gmail accounts (Google+ accounts) and occasionally she logs off of one of them.

So if someone has Hangouts on their phone and they are logged into it, the indicator will show green. If they log off, it will show gray.

Oh, and I'm sorry to actually point out something positive about iOS. God forbid another mobile OS does something better than Android >_>

This is my cousin:

She has two Gmail accounts (Google+ accounts) and occasionally she logs off of one of them.

So if someone has Hangouts on their phone and they are logged into it, the indicator will show green. If they log off, it will show gray.

Oh, and I'm sorry to actually point out something positive about iOS. God forbid another mobile OS does something better than Android >_>

It's about time!

I want to hangout with your cousin.

mturco

This is my cousin:

Well that's slightly more useful but it's still not an online status unless you're going to log off every time you want to appear offline.

Blackhead

Redarse
You're conflating two different things. People that tout iOS' smoothness is talking about the responsiveness in the interaction of your fingers and the OS (see: the old scrolling on web pages, double tapping on an area and zooming in on a text block accurately).

A better metaphor is:

Becasue this is one thing iPhone fanboys can always count on that has been better, is better and will always better than other systems.

What I don't understand this has never been brought up in OSX vs Windows frame wars. Mac OS (since OS9 ) has always had much smoother and more consistant transition than WIndows but nobody seem to care.

Actually Windows Phone had animations from day one and has always been smoother* than the comparable iPhone imo, especially when comparing the cheaper models — the cheap nokias are smoother than an iPhone running iOS7.

*smoother but thus slower than android and webos

Zeppu

Bad analogy. Watching a movie on a flickering SD TV is not as enjoyable as watching it on a well calibrated hdtv. It's the means not the end.

So you're saying that a bad movie on a calibrated HDTV is better than a great movie on a flickering SD TV. I'm not saying iOS is 'bad' or that the experience doesn't matter and obviously it's better to watch a movie on a well calibrated HDTV than on a flickering SD TV. But the fact remains that you can't claim that Suckerpunch is better than the Godfather because you watched Suckerpunch on an HDTV and the Godfather on a 24" SDTV.

A better metaphor is:

Whatever, different analogy, same point. A bad game with tight, precise controls isn't better than a good game with some input lag or imprecise controls. It's more annoying to play the latter but it doesn't make it a worse game.

Because it's simply a shitty and annoying experience. I find it exteremly annoying to use my Galaxy Nexus, when the scrolling and animation all stutter. It makes me feel like I'm waiting half of the time for the task to finish, because the animation is so slow and stuttery.

I too have a GN and I feel your pain. But even though it stutters to scroll, I can still don't have to upload a video to a mail server and get it back to send it to another application.

--

I get that not being smooth is a big flaw in Android, but I don't get why that's the only metric that people take note of. Do people really only judge books by the smoothness of their page turning?

Zeppu

oh wow...

is this real life?

Yeah that amazed me too. I never realized that when filming in slow motion it's actually capturing at a higher framerate than the eye can perceive. I always thought that slow mo cameras literally warped the time-space continuum, slowing down the entire universe but themselves and kept recording at a steady 30fps.

SimleuqiR

Oh I didn't think about not being connected to the internet. Yeah, I guess that is useful.

Also, I presume that when SMS integration finally arrives that for those contacts that do not have Hangouts installed, the application will just use their mobile # and send out a text message vs a hangouts message.

Here is hoping.

Talon

Yeah that amazed me too. I never realized that when filming in slow motion it's actually capturing at a higher framerate than the eye can perceive. I always thought that slow mo cameras literally warped the time-space continuum, slowing down the entire universe but themselves and kept recording at a steady 30fps.
Hahaha

+1
I get that not being smooth is a big flaw in Android, but I don't get why that's the only metric that people take note of. Do people really only judge books by the smoothness of their page turning?
It isn't, but it's a pretty critical factor when using a touch-based operating system.

Look, all (well most of us besides one or two people) are reasonable enough to know there are pros and cons with the two (relevant) operating systems in the mobile space.

Fatalah

Where was it marked as 1.2? Remember the description section when updated is updated instantly where as the apk and version section is stagnated (still have no idea why this and OTA are this terrible to release)

The September 25 update is marked version 1.2 under the Play Store's "What's New" release notes.

Samsung is going backwards technologically. The Note 4 will eschew a SD card in favor of a 120GB HDD and it will look like Gordon Gecko's phone. TouchWiz will complete its transformation to a Windows XP style OS, and it'll have all kinds of stuff running in the taskbar, like McAffee and Intel Integrated Graphics Control Panel.

okay, so it's not quite as ridiculous as it could have been, though it still sucks.

after checking with XDA and Twitter, it seems like you have to use an in-region SIM first, then you can use any region SIM. well, at least on the non-carrier models.

carrier models still need to be unlocked by the carrier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom