• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

Does it matter to you? Who's buying this thing, anyway? I sure won't be. I know gcubed said he might but he's one out of the whole thread. Plus he owns a GNex. A Startac is an upgrade from that POS.

I'm getting a new phone soon and options are always good but I know i'll end up with a S4 or Note 3 anyway >__>

gcubed

Does it matter to you? Who's buying this thing, anyway? I sure won't be. I know gcubed said he might but he's one out of the whole thread. Plus he owns a GNex. A Startac is an upgrade from that POS.

Solely on the basis of it not being a gigantic phone and being cheap off contact. If the lg g2 is the next nexus, that's too big for me

kehs

Banned

I might buy it. My dad probably will.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So another week is beginning and still no news about the Nexus 7 refresh...

Instead we get leaked info about this Moto X trash that nobody in their right mind gives a flying fuck about.

android_fail.jpg

Having to activate Voice Search has been my biggest barrier to using it more frequently, even in Google Glass.

An always on feature, especially with a customizable phrase, would make it really appealing to me. I'm going to make mine "Computer," or "Jarvis."

"Computer, how long will it take to get to Bon Chon Chicken?"

Sign me up for the Moto X and for not being in my right mind blah blah specs Snapdragon who cares.

I hate how everything has leaked except the battery size. Anyway it's probably going to be low just like the rest to keep costs down, which means auto-skip. That's the one thing motorola had going for them.

Nexus 5 it is.

Maybe next year we'll see a more refined phone that google and motorola will do but this one is seriously nothing special. I lol'd at the wrist twisting and the "silent notification". I also don't get the touch to take a picture.

This almost smells like a samsung phone the way they're adding stupid features just because they might look good in commercials.

Vanillalite

You guys are insufferable.

Sorry we aren't going crazy over a mediocre phone with specs similar to a phone released last July not this. If that makes us insufferable then so be it. I'd rather be insufferable than make a stand for mediocrity.

If this phone really does cost $199 then none of this matters as it will easily be a great value phone but I don't think anyone here is judging it on price or any of that. Simply looking at the hardware and the software features. It's middling. Some of the features are seemingly nonsensical.

Some of us actually enjoy and use the "stupid features". You're not the only person on the planet.
you like not being able to focus your camera because unless I'm looking at this wrong it looks like you won't be able to, unless you can turn this off. Also silent notifications instead of LED? So now the screen on time for your phone will be longer than it has to be killing the battery even further? Even if it is in a low power state when it does it, definitely wasting more battery than an LED. Which has always been a stupid weakness of android phones which of all companies motorola should be able to improve.

I didn't say a single word about the voice stuff because I don't mind that either way. Also if the battery is indeed huge Droid Maxx style then I take everything back and I'm first in line :p Also the rest of the specs simply aren't that good, but again if it's 199 then fine.

vdlow

The only thing in the leaked videos that I said "Look, this is cool" was the always listening Google Now. I think that this should be an option since the early days of Now. It makes sense, at least for me.

After the initial hype for the XFON died down, I opted for a gently used VZW Note II to replace my dying Galaxy Nexus. Getting a good price on it, and not having to extend my contract means I can easily wait until my contract expires in February and see if we want to move to a different carrier.

FWIW, my wife has an iPhone S4, and couldn't care less about it one way or another. I could probably swap her phone out for an S IV or a One, and she'd hardly know the difference as long as she still had her Facebook and Slate apps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think always on voice capability is cool. But I have a feeling that'll make its way AOSP anyway.

Are notification lights dead on future Google phones?
Where would you get that idea? The Nexus phones have them.

Vanillalite

Wow..android gaf doing its best gaming impression. Bunch of spec whores. ;)

I know this is tongue and cheek, but I take issue with this. Are we really spec whores if all we want is specs equal to all of the flagships from everyone else that have been out for months now?

We'd be spec whores if it had to have an S800 and 3 gigs of RAM with some crazy screen. :p

SimleuqiR

The only thing in the leaked videos that I said "Look, this is cool" was the always listening Google Now. I think that this should be an option since the early days of Now. It makes sense, at least for me.

I love Google Now, but in notification form. I've never speak to it and I don't see myself asking it questions, unless I'm driving and need some quick search results.

Speaking to your phone is gimmicky, unless your hands and eyes are occupied, and the only input is via voice commands, and output is through the loudspeaker.

Maybe next year we'll see a more refined phone that google and motorola will do but this one is seriously nothing special. I lol'd at the wrist twisting and the "silent notification". I also don't get the touch to take a picture.

This almost smells like a samsung phone the way they're adding stupid features just because they might look good in commercials.

It will definitely help sell the phone if they market it right. But they need to show these features to be practical; asking your phone what the weather is going to be like, while you are on a computer doesn't seem practical to me (you already can get this information while you are on your computer).

scott!

Neo Member
If it is between $200 and $300 off-contract through Google Play, I'll pick one up. I don't use my phone for much beyond phone calls, web browsing, and audio playback. I don't need the latest greatest processor or screen for that, and I feel like going with Android for a change after a long stretch with iOS.

jokkir

So when the Moto X is released, what do we hype up next? Carbon having more updates? lololol

Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7 refresh I assum

If it is between $200 and $300 off-contract through Google Play, I'll pick one up. I don't use my phone for much beyond phone calls, web browsing, and audio playback. I don't need the latest greatest processor or screen for that, and I feel like going with Android for a change after a long stretch with iOS.
for someone like you it may fit but to me $249 although a great price doesn't even seem that great value IF the Nexus 5 in October retains the same pricing as the Nexus 4 does. Muuuuuuch better specs and only $50 more. And it will likely include a lot of these features if I were to guess. At least baked into Key Lime Pie eventually.

$199 off contract would be the sweet spot for the moto x. Then I could see it CHANGING THE GAME like they said it would.

3phemeral

Is Google Now even robust enough to handle the kinds of requests people are going to assume they can do when they see that promotional video?

scott!

Neo Member
for someone like you it may fit but to me $249 although a great price doesn't even seem that great value IF the Nexus 5 in October retains the same pricing as the Nexus 4 does. Muuuuuuch better specs and only $50 more.
Have specific specs leaked concerning the successor to the Nexus 4, or is this just your prediction/conjecture?

zedge

I know this is tongue and cheek, but I take issue with this. Are we really spec whores if all we want is specs equal to all of the flagships from everyone else that have been out for months now?

We'd be spec whores if it had to have an S800 and 3 gigs of RAM with some crazy screen. :p

:p

I am disappointed that its some carrier exclusive however, thought it would be sold on google play for $300 or something.

zedge

OFFS... reading around the net about the X phone always listening and the same idiots going ape shit over kinect always being on are coming out of the wood work.. Oh noes google is now spying on you all the time too...

Vanillalite

How well do we expect the Droid DNA to be supported down the line?

According to HTC and other sources it is pegged to get Sense 5 and an update to 4.2.2 if that helps at all.

The international version of the phone dubbed the butterfly already has the update in Asia.

According to HTC and other sources it is pegged to get Sense 5 and an update to 4.2.2 if that helps at all.

The international version of the phone dubbed the butterfly already has the update in Asia.

Thanks.

But damn, just saw the rumored release date for the Moto X... I think I might have to hold out. It sounds kind of incredible.

Too bad the design looks like something from a phone from 2 years ago and so is the hardware. It's main feature could be enabled on all phones that use google now if google wanted to. Even if it launches at $299 off contract the nexus 4 is still a better value. This phone serves no purpose and putting a $500 million marketing campaign behind it is laughable. It's just going to tarnish the brand more than benefit it.

Cipherr

Too bad the design looks like something from a phone from 2 years ago and so is the hardware. It's main feature could be enabled on all phones that use google now if google wanted to. Even if it launches at $299 off contract the nexus 4 is still a better value. This phone serves no purpose and putting a $500 million marketing campaign behind it is laughable. It's just going to tarnish the brand more than benefit it.

Lets not be ridiculous. Moving into hyperbole territory now. Motorolas brand is absolute shit these days. Not even the "Droid" brand means anything worth mentioning these days. The only highlight the entire company has had in the last 2 years is the Maxx, which was known for battery life, and not its impressive specs, price, performance, design, display quality or anything of the sort.

The X being a midrange device and having a hopefully non-embarassing

(LOL ROBOTS)

ad campaign will do absolutely nothing to 'hurt' the already dead in the water brand.

Matugi

Literally every person in here is a prognosticator that is predicting doom for the phone YET WE HAVEN'T EVEN HAD AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

For God's sake people, relax. We still know little about the phone. It's just as likely to be an amazing piece of hardware as it is to suck. Christ.

Cipherr

Literally every person in here is a prognosticator that is predicting doom for the phone YET WE HAVEN'T EVEN HAD AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

For God's sake people, relax. We still know little about the phone. It's just as likely to be an amazing piece of hardware as it is to suck. Christ.

Smartphone GAF and enthusiast in general aren't big on midrange devices. Never have been, never will be. I don't think the reaction is surprising. Name one midrange device that has ever gotten the attention of this group? As close as you get is Nexus devices. And those are more high/midrange devices usually. Going forward, anything without a 1080p display and an s800 or equivalent probably isn't going to get much attention. Its the same issue WP8 OEM's face a lot of the time.

Lets not be ridiculous. Moving into hyperbole territory now. Motorolas brand is absolute shit these days. Not even the "Droid" brand means anything worth mentioning these days. The only highlight the entire company has had in the last 2 years is the Maxx, which was known for battery life, and not its impressive specs, price, performance, design, display quality or anything of the sort.

The X being a midrange device and having a hopefully non-embarassing

(LOL ROBOTS)

ad campaign will do absolutely nothing to 'hurt' the already dead in the water brand.

Yeah you are right. I don't even know why they are using the Motorola name. Might as well just call it a google phone.

tino

Banned
for someone like you it may fit but to me $249 although a great price doesn't even seem that great value IF the Nexus 5 in October retains the same pricing as the Nexus 4 does. Muuuuuuch better specs and only $50 more. And it will likely include a lot of these features if I were to guess. At least baked into Key Lime Pie eventually.

$199 off contract would be the sweet spot for the moto x. Then I could see it CHANGING THE GAME like they said it would.

Why do you keep mentioning the NEXT GOOGLE FONE (tm) as if its the real thing? Who says google will make a Nexus 5? The way google position the marketing this IS the successor of the N4.

We saw the ugly mug of this phone (with the moto logo in the corner) since half year ago. Where is the leaked image of the Nexue 5 where?

xptoxyz

Why do you keep mentioning the NEXT GOOGLE FONE (tm) as if its the real thing? Who says google will make a Nexus 5? The way google position the marketing this IS the successor of the N4.

We saw the ugly mug of this phone (with the moto logo in the corner) since half year ago. Where is the leaked image of the Nexue 5 where?

Even if a Nexus 5 exists, given this goes out to carriers and more people seem to be involved in the launch of this versus a Nexus device it seems easy to understand why it would leak much easier.

kehs

Banned

This motox is gonna take everyone by storm.

Then the haters will be all omg I was so wrong I wont admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom