• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh it is. It's complete shit compared to the Gmail app, but I use it for school and work email. There's no pinch to zoom and emails load zoomed in 100%. There's also no text reflowing, so you have to scroll horizontally to read anything. It's a nightmare.
yeah I used it briefly for work as well but all the scrolling and shit turned me off. Maybe it'll get a lot better though. Would be nice to have something gmail calibur.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
nexusae0_2013-10-01-10_06_06-Free-Wireless-Internet-_-Free-Internet-_-4G-Wireless-Internet-FreedomPop_t.png

Talon

Glad Samsung got caught on their bullshit. The fact that they've been called out twice for it should hopefully mean we nip this in the bud instead of another ATI/Nvidia fiasco for about three years with Quak.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Preordered my 32GB black Galaxy Note 10.1 today at Best Buy. I'm excited, it comes out October 10th.

Update, I found out Tiger Direct was selling them early, got in on the sale, it's shipped and I should get it tomorrow. Release dates suck! This one is white.

catmincer

Sony have been quiet about their 4.3 plans since they announced them. Was hoping we'd know a timeframe by now for the devices, unless they're going straight to 4.4.

kinggroin

Banned
Historically, we still have a few weeks to go.

Announcement dates:
Nexus S - December 6
Galaxy Nexus - October 19
Nexus 4 - October 29

I really hope I'm wrong.

I really hope it's sooner than all those. Its been hell without my One. Doubly so since I'm relegated to using an Incredible 4g.

I just updated Chrome Beta, and it seems Google reversed the double-tap zoom gesture. It's not really worse, just different. I'll probably get used to it in a few hours of browsing. If I were to explain how it feels now, it's kinda like you're pulling the page towards you instead of you moving closer to the page.

mturco

I really hope it's sooner than all those. Its been hell without my One. Doubly so since I'm relegated to using an Incredible 4g.

What happened to your One? And all the rumors say October 14th, so it's definitely possible. Also, while I'm at it...

Release dates:
Nexus S - December 16
Galaxy Nexus - November 17
Nexus 4 - November 13

So it's possible they could be shipping by the end of this month if they announce it on the 14th.

Fox318

The recent pic got my more hot and bothered than ever tbh. Where is dat shit google wtf you think you are impressing just release it.

They should have announced it weeks ago.

Unless KitKat has a crazy feature in it I feel like most people are going to not be as excited as they were for the Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus.

They should have announced it weeks ago.

Unless KitKat has a crazy feature in it I feel like most people are going to not be as excited as they were for the Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus.

There's a bit of revisionist history there. Few people were excited for the N4 when the specs first leaked. In fact, most people thought this was the skippable year, much like the Nexus S.

If it wasn't for the no-brainer price and the shortage, most people would've just stuck to their GNex.

Posted in the Nexus thread but here it is as well.

I was going to wait for the Nexus 5 but they usually make compromises at one feature or other and I wanted a premium device with great display and battery. This one seems to be perfect and grabbed it.

I had my eye on the Sony Xperia Z1 as well but the screen as per the impressions and reviews is similar to the Z which I think is still faded compared to the HTC One. Not to mention that coming from an iPhone 5 which is around 120grams, the Xperia Z1 is 170, quite a bump, thought I'd be more comfortable with the G2's 143 grams device.

So now I have the mix of iOS 7 iPhone 5 and LG G2. Will post some impressions later.

Fox318

I was going to wait for the Nexus 5 but they usually make compromises at one feature or other and I wanted a premium device with great display and battery. This one seems to be perfect and grabbed it.

I had my eye on the Sony Xperia Z1 as well but the screen as per the impressions and reviews is similar to the Z which I think is still faded compared to the HTC One. Not to mention that coming from an iPhone 5 which is around 120grams, the Xperia Z1 is 170, quite a bump, thought I'd be more comfortable with the G2's 143 grams device.

So now I have the mix of iOS 7 iPhone 5 and LG G2. Will post some impressions later.

Just need to get a good rom on that thing and you are set. I would consider the g2 but I use my phone so much as a GPS that I'm not sure I trust knock knock and volume functions on the touch screen.

Nice. Nova launcher that shit asap though. Enjoy the new phone.

So, apparently, Google is taking camera tech seriously. Holy fuck.

Nexus 5 to have the first MEMS camera:

The cryptic abbreviation is not important - what’s important is that MEMS cameras can focus 7 times faster than current cameras and take multiple images extremely fast. Those extremely quick capture times will allow for a quick succession of shots, and if the object is not moving fast, you'd be able to shoot first and focus later, like on a Lytro camera. Be it daylight or night time, a MEMS camera locks focus in a fraction of a second and multiple times faster than current cameras. The Nexus 5 will likely be the handset that brings the technology to the mainstream.

The secret is hidden in Nexus 5 logs where we see a mention of some component referred to as imx179. Doesn’t ring a bell, does it? Google will quickly reveal however that such a component exists and it is the MEMS camera we just told you about, manufactured by Digital Optics. Altogether, we have the following details about the Nexus 5 camera:

- 8-megapixel unit that is not backside illuminated (not BSI)
- f/2.4 aperture
- sensor size of 1/3.2” (a bit smaller than top shelf smartphones)

Basically, it's like a mini-lytro.

Here it is in action:

http://youtu.be/idtmJBa5u3Q

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If the battery life is even a slight step up over the N4... oh man. Finally a good camera (hopefully low light holds up.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If that camera is that awesome, insta buy.

What are the current rumors/thoughts on the pricing tier for the N5? Looking to switch my parents to tmobile and they're unsure about paying for new iphones, though their current ones apparently don't fully support 4G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom