• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the current rumors/thoughts on the pricing tier for the N5? Looking to switch my parents to tmobile and they're unsure about paying for new iphones, though their current ones apparently don't fully support 4G.

There are no rumors -- at least, nothing based on concrete information. However, it will likely be comparable to the original N4's pricing ($300/350) but with a small increase.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So am i reading right that the N5 may not be on Verizon? In that case is the G2 an appropriate approximation of what to expect?

mturco

So am i reading right that the N5 may not be on Verizon? In that case is the G2 an appropriate approximation of what to expect?

I highly doubt it will be on Verizon. Google had a bad experience with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and didn't even bother with the Nexus 4. I don't see any reason to believe that's changed at all since last year either. I switched off Verizon a few months ago for this exact reason. Google makes unlocked GSM phones and doesn't play games with carriers. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what Verizon wants.

tino

Banned
So, apparently, Google is taking camera tech seriously. Holy fuck.

Nexus 5 to have the first MEMS camera:

Basically, it's like a mini-lytro.

Here it is in action:

http://youtu.be/idtmJBa5u3Q

It's not like lytro at all, its like the current trend of taking a series of photos very fast and pick the best one (or photoshop a better one out of it). HTC One started this, both iPhone and S4 have similar features. How good this features are depend entirely on the software.

I do like the 1/3.2" sensor. It may be better than the Motox sensor.

thespot84

It's not like lytro at all, its like the current trend of taking a series of photos very fast and pick the best one (or photoshop a better one out of it). HTC One started this, both iPhone and S4 have similar features. How good this features are depend entirely on the software.

Entirely on software? Micro-Electrical-Mechanical-Systems Baby! That shit actually moves yo!

Uh, no. Re-read the article.

It takes a rapid set of pictures at different focus levels, then stores them all in one file. Then, you can tap/click on different areas in the picture to shift the focus, much like the lytro camera. It remains to be seen if the Gallery app will actually support this feature, of course, but if the N5 does support the MEMS feature, I'm sure Googy will find a way to take advantage of it.

What you're talking about is just burst mode. It's been around forever. This is different.

mturco

Nothing to do with software at all actually.

Voice coil motors are the current technology and they employ technologies that are a bit dated now. Auto-focusing in VCMs happens when a current is sent through a coil causing the moving elements of a camera to move in the direction of a magnet. There are a few set steps for the moving elements and at each one the camera evaluates the focus to determine whether the image is in focus or not (if not it just moves one step further and re-evaluates). It sounds complicated because it is. Plus, with that many steps locking focus could take a whole second. It is also imprecise and noisy.

MEMS technology on the other hand can focus nearly 7 times faster and is much smaller. It uses electrostatic force to draw to solid-state comb-shaped surfaces together, but they never touch and degradation takes much longer. Instead of having multiple moving elements you only have one with extremely quick auto-focus and power consumption of 1mW, hundreds of times less than VCM modules.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EWmof.gif
Google
p0QHO.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Reddit:

This article is bullshit. The only thing the log says is that the phone has an IMX179 camera sensor. There is literally no connection with MEMS other than the authour having googled "IMX179" and found the PDF from [Memscan](http://memscam.com/html_files/PDF/mems_cam_DOC8324F_C_Feb_2013.pdf).

The IMX179 is a sensor made by Sony, and is also used in other camera modules, including the one used in the [Meizu MX3](http://www.gizmochina.com/2013/09/09/meizu-mx3-camera-test-example-is/), which does not have MEMS.

It's certainly possible that the Nexus 5 will have a MEMS camera, but this article and its source are not proof of anything.

Atruvius

I got sick of waiting and finally bought the Xperia ZR. Post should probably deliver it on Friday or Monday.

So I don't have any kind of dataplan in my current contract so when I get the phone and turn it on it won't immediately start sending/downloading data, right? That would get pretty expensive if it did do that...

Edit. I actually have an unlimited data plan and didn't even know it. Though the speed is only 256kbps but the contracts monthly cost is only 2.9€ + calls and texts.

tino

Banned
Uh, no. Re-read the article.

It takes a rapid set of pictures at different focus levels, then stores them all in one file. Then, you can tap/click on different areas in the picture to shift the focus, much like the lytro camera. It remains to be seen if the Gallery app will actually support this feature, of course, but if the N5 does support the MEMS feature, I'm sure Googy will find a way to take advantage of it.

What you're talking about is just burst mode. It's been around forever. This is different.

So? Thats what I said, this new setup take a series of photos very fast (at different focus distance). Lytro doesn't do that. Lytro take 1 picture and also capture the 3D information of the scene at the same time. The out of focus area of the image (what the photographers called "bokeh") is simulated in software. If you look at the out of focus area of the a lytro photo, its bokeh is not like a real bokeh taken with a f/1.2 f/1.4 lens. The fake bokeh is more like the effect of "gaussian blur" filter in photoshop.

What this google setup doesn't do is that it does not simulate the bokeh. It makes a big difference because being a tiny ass 1/3.2" sensor (and low pixel count to booth), it has a huge hyperfocal range. Basically anything beyond 3 feet will be in-focus most of the time. If you object is a few feet away (instead of a flower that's 1 foot away), its impoosible to create the effect of a blurred background.

kinggroin

Banned
So? Thats what I said, this new setup take a series of photos very fast (at different focus distance). Lytro doesn't do that. Lytro take 1 picture and also capture the 3D information of the scene at the same time. The out of focus area of the image (what the photographers called "bokeh") is simulated in software. If you look at the out of focus area of the a lytro photo, its bokeh is not like a real bokeh taken with a f/1.2 f/1.4 lens. The fake bokeh is more like the effect of "gaussian blur" filter in photoshop.

What this google setup doesn't do is that it does not simulate the bokeh. It makes a big difference because being a tiny ass 1/3.2" sensor (and low pixel count to booth), it has a huge hyperfocal range. Basically anything beyond 3 feet will be in-focus most of the time. If you object is a few feet away (instead of a flower that's 1 foot away), its impoosible to create the effect of a blurred background.

Probably shouldn't have even brought up the HTC One's burst mode then. It just confused the point you were making.

*click link*
"Three minutes? How the heck can he talk about a slow gallery for three minutes? It's slow and unresponsive, OK. What else?"
"Oh wow."

How the fuck can that ship? My god Samsung. It actually makes me sad that they are the biggest android OEM.

Fwiw, my buddy's Note 3 (T-Mobile) doesn't do this at all.

His Note 2 does however. Only fix is to disable picasa sync.

thespot84

What are you saying, that there's no bokeh, or that it's actual blur from a varying focal length and not software rendered? I'm confused.

tino

Banned
What are you saying, that there's no bokeh, or that it's actual blur from a varying focal length and not software rendered? I'm confused.

That technology merely enable very fast AF motor (noted fast AF motor, not fast AF), there is no reason to assume it will simulate any fake bokeh. The Lytro thing was speculated by that blogger who obviously didn't know how lytro work.

If you are going to take many pictures and pick the best one out of them you will get realistic bokeh from a 1/3.2" sensor, that means noticeable bohek in macro shots and in non-macro shots, everything in the scene will be in focus.

As for the reason why a tiny sensor can not create noticeable blur background in a normal shot... you just have to read up on depth of field theory. The simply put it the bokeh effect is depends on focal length, sensor size and aperture all 3 things.

mturco

Reddit:

This article is bullshit. The only thing the log says is that the phone has an IMX179 camera sensor. There is literally no connection with MEMS other than the authour having googled "IMX179" and found the PDF from [Memscan](http://memscam.com/html_files/PDF/mems_cam_DOC8324F_C_Feb_2013.pdf).

The IMX179 is a sensor made by Sony, and is also used in other camera modules, including the one used in the [Meizu MX3](http://www.gizmochina.com/2013/09/09/meizu-mx3-camera-test-example-is/), which does not have MEMS.

It's certainly possible that the Nexus 5 will have a MEMS camera, but this article and its source are not proof of anything.

Welp. There goes that. Nice catch.

That's not even remotely what you said, but the point is moot now, since MEMS is probably not in the phone.

thespot84

That technology merely enable very fast AF motor (noted fast AF motor, not fast AF), there is no reason to assume it will simulate any fake bokeh. The Lytro thing was speculated by that blogger who obviously didn't know how lytro work.

If you are going to take many pictures and pick the best one out of them you will get realistic bokeh from a 1/3.2" sensor, that means noticeable bohek in macro shots and in non-macro shots, everything in the scene will be in focus.

As for the reason why a tiny sensor can not create noticeable blur background in a normal shot... you just have to read up on depth of field theory. The simply put it the bokeh effect is depends on focal length, sensor size and aperture all 3 things.

But within a few feet the old sensors and the mems sensers could produce some bokeh, right?

tino

Banned
But within a few feet the old sensors and the mems sensers could produce some bokeh, right?

Within short distant (flower and insect shots), old sensor and new sense will give the same bokeh effect, as long as the sensor size, and aperture value are the same.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

Beezy

Posted in the Nexus thread but here it is as well.

I was going to wait for the Nexus 5 but they usually make compromises at one feature or other and I wanted a premium device with great display and battery. This one seems to be perfect and grabbed it.

I had my eye on the Sony Xperia Z1 as well but the screen as per the impressions and reviews is similar to the Z which I think is still faded compared to the HTC One. Not to mention that coming from an iPhone 5 which is around 120grams, the Xperia Z1 is 170, quite a bump, thought I'd be more comfortable with the G2's 143 grams device.

So now I have the mix of iOS 7 iPhone 5 and LG G2. Will post some impressions later.
Which carrier? I've been wanting to hear more impressions on the Verizon LG G2 since they're basically guaranteed to not get the Nexus 5.

Just got the Chrome update. Seems a little stupid that on Chrome it's double tap and slide DOWN to zoom in but in Maps it's double tap and slide UP to zoom in. Shouldn't they have been made consistent?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just got the Chrome update. Seems a little stupid that on Chrome it's double tap and slide DOWN to zoom in but in Maps it's double tap and slide UP to zoom in. Shouldn't they have been made consistent?

I'm pretty sure it was consistent, but then they reversed it in the last update. Drove me crazy for a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom