• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tegra 4 performance is solid. It isn't like you are getting the Tegra 3 again.

Bigger problem the Nexus 10 has is it is the larger super high res tablet, but it is always released extremely late in the year. Ideally this is the device that needs the best chipset, but chipsets in Android land all launch before then.

It would almost be better to launch in the spring as that is when the new chips land in Android land. You'd think the cutting edge nexus tablet would have cutting edge hardware as well.

Quasar

Tegra 4 performance is solid. It isn't like you are getting the Tegra 3 again.

Bigger problem the Nexus 10 has is it is the larger super high res tablet, but it is always released extremely late in the year. Ideally this is the device that needs the best chipset, but chipsets in Android land all launch before then.

And given how the A7 soc did, I'm really curious to see what an upclocked version is like.

Fox318

On first appearance, this is solid

This is what you see when you open it up

KT9rEwD.jpg

I bought something to mount it so here is a side view.

pDS8iv2.jpg

I bought a case, this one right here on Amazon. It came with the mounting apparatus as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FATADG2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

4oD8RKh.jpg

I'm comparing S-Pens. From my Note 1 to the S-Pen for the tablet

CK9wsk0.jpg
I'm shocked it doesn't have micro USB 3.0

Chris R

Is there only a 16GB LTE Xperia Z Tablet? Or does it come in a 32GB flavor? I won one today and it has no mention of GB anywhere on the package, just wanting to know how much I could potentially sell it for.

Groof

Deffo wait for the announcement mate, depends on price/specs ratio for me.

Yeah, but unless the announcement is in two weeks, I don't know if I'll bother. The last N10 was never released here, and the new N7 is releasing tomorrow. And honestly, I can't wait to get rid of my old N7. Laggy ass mess, even with 4.3.

Nicktendo86

Yeah, but unless the announcement is in two weeks, I don't know if I'll bother. The last N10 was never released here, and the new N7 is releasing tomorrow. And honestly, I can't wait to get rid of my old N7. Laggy ass mess, even with 4.3.

Oh yeah, forgot you were up in, Sweden I think? Can't you order from Amazon.co.uk and get it sent over? Google need to really up their game with distribution, it really feels sometimes like they don't actually want to sell their products!

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
The only reason I plan to get a N10 is because of the screen size, if not I would have kept my N7. I surprised we haven't gotten any more leaks since it should be released along with kit kit and N5. I real wish google would release something between the N7 and N10.

Groof

Oh yeah, forgot you were up in, Sweden I think? Can't you order from Amazon.co.uk and get it sent over? Google need to really up their game with distribution, it really feels sometimes like they don't actually want to sell their products!
Yeah exactly. I could do that, depending in whether they ship it here or not, some items aren't shippable for whatever reason, but depending on price and specs I'd consider it. Hell I can get the N7 for £100 cheaper through a friend's employee discount, so the new N10 better be crazy good.

And I think it's easier for them to ignore some parts of the worl longer due to them not being "viable markets." Sweden for example is, while big, is very small populace-wise so it wouldn't be as big of a focus. But they seem to be getting their shit in gear, Finland got Play Music the other day.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Android Police posted those screenshots too.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...w-off-a-few-upcoming-features-of-android-4-4/

Nothing too exciting. Really hoping KitKat is more than that.

I thought Google's whole thing now was that point releases weren't too big a deal since apps were getting all the REAL upgrades via Play these days. That way they get around the carriers taking forever to slap their skins on the latest version before pushing them out.

Shouldn't we expect little tweaks that most people won't care about if that's the case? Pardon my ignorance if I'm misunderstanding the situation.

kulapik

Just got Themer. Pretty cool, but there are some things that bug me:

-Can't put theme's own widgets again if you delete them.
-The Themer button that substitutes the Play Button doesn't work like the video shows. They'll probably change it, but still.
-It's a BIT confusing.

But it's very cool, will keep with it.

mturco

I thought Google's whole thing now was that point releases weren't too big a deal since apps were getting all the REAL upgrades via Play these days. That way they get around the carriers taking forever to slap their skins on the latest version before pushing them out.

Shouldn't we expect little tweaks that most people won't care about if that's the case?

Well that's true and if Google did hold back major app updates and release them with Android updates it would obviously be insanely huge. But really if you look back at the previous big Android updates (4.0 in particular), it was never the core app updates that was being changed. In other words, I don't think updating core apps individually detracts from Android updates all that much.

Plus, I think most people are expecting/hoping KitKat is a visual refresh.

Horseticuffs

Well that's true and if Google did hold back major app updates and release them with Android updates it would obviously be insanely huge. But really if you look back at the previous big Android updates (4.0 in particular), it was never the core app updates that was being changed. In other words, I don't think updating core apps individually detracts from Android updates all that much.

Plus, I think most people are expecting/hoping KitKat is a visual refresh.

Thanks for the illumination. I haven't been on Android through too many major updates. I jumped straight from Gingerbread to ICS, and am now on Nexus devices so staying current as they happen.

One question, guys. As I said, I'm still pretty new to new major update roll-outs. I've heard horror stories of iOS users who get iOS 7 on their older device and it turns them into a real shitshow. Is that a concern on Android as well since so many of the app updates happen OTA already?

I've just bought a Nexus 4 and have an OG Nexus 7 and I've been concerned that upgrading to KK might make them sluggish. I don't know if it's a terribly real concern, but I'm so satisfied with the current UI that I'd consider staying on the current release if there's a hit to performance.

Zeppu

Why would anyone have a device with a new version of the OS and not just take screenshots but rather shitty sideways photos?

yyzjohn

Banned
Thanks for the illumination. I haven't been on Android through too many major updates. I jumped straight from Gingerbread to ICS, and am now on Nexus devices so staying current as they happen.

One question, guys. As I said, I'm still pretty new to new major update roll-outs. I've heard horror stories of iOS users who get iOS 7 on their older device and it turns them into a real shitshow. Is that a concern on Android as well since so many of the app updates happen OTA already?

I've just bought a Nexus 4 and have an OG Nexus 7 and I've been concerned that upgrading to KK might make them sluggish. I don't know if it's a terribly real concern, but I'm so satisfied with the current UI that I'd consider staying on the current release if there's a hit to performance.

You can always go back with Android. You can re-flash your entire phone to an older version of the OS if you like. Google publishes the code for the nexus devices, so if you save the versions, you can flash them at your leisure. I'm sure there are repositories out there that keep all the older Android versions since Google won't list a bunch of versions back on their site.

Here's a link to the factory images for nexus devices: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

mturco

I've never had an Android upgrade that made my phone slower but I've always run stock Android. I know some people were claiming 4.2 made their Nexus 4 slower when it first came out but I think they fixed it with 4.2.2. In general, I would say no, Android upgrades never degrade older devices unless the OEM decides to throw on more crap with it.

That's what I was hoping for and, to be fair, things like the status bar and dialer have been freshened up. Need to see those new animations as well.
I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of the white status icons. Maybe they'll grow on me after a while, but they just look so plain in the screenshots I've seen. I actually really like the blue icons and don't see why seemingly everyone hates them. I wouldn't mind Android as a whole looking a bit more like Google Now and other recent Google designs, though.

Really the big things Google needs to do in KitKat are:
- SMS integration for Hangouts or at least a redesigned Messaging app (also quick reply from notification)
- 3rd party plugins for Quick Settings (i.e., let apps create user-addable quick settings)
- Email app that doesn't suck (pinch to zoom would be nice)
- Maybe rethink the homescreen to integrate Google Now?

Other than that, I really don't know what else they could do.

dubq

I'm not normally one to go in for this kind of thing.. but in 2013, I don't know what to believe. A buddy of mine says that I shouldn't get a Nexus 5 due to Google's privacy issues, the NSA, Snowden, and all that..

I'll admit I'm not 100% up to snuff on all of that stuff.. but am I being a noob in even entertaining what he is saying or is there any merit to it? ..and even if there were, wouldn't it be more about the carrier and not the MFG? Would it even matter in Canada, for that matter?

I fully expect a full mocking if I'm being an idiot here. It's what I get for living in the sheltered land of iPhones all these years.

*hides*

SimleuqiR

Anyone get the impression that Google stop adding new feature to android after around 4.1?

AFAIK, they have been decoupling features from the main OS.

I rather have new features come the way of app / services updates (i.e. Android Device manager, Google Now, etc) than via an OS update.

The OS should definitely get faster, have a small footprint, tighter code, etc. That's what I want from an OS update.

I'm dying for them to detach the camera app and SMS app from the OS (ala Keyboard). Most OEMs like to use their own, so why should the Nexus owners suffer the wait?

Eanan

Is it worth rooting my device to get the adblock plus app running on my nexus 4 without the need to use a proxy, as im finding the amount of apps on android during web browser and some apps to be annoying.

Or is there any ad block apps that dont require a root, and can still work without needing to send you through a proxy server.

Ive never rooted a device before so not sure on the risks involved or if its a simple procedure.

Nicktendo86

Well android police said they have heard of white status bar icons, new animations and new notification APIs. Two of those are pretty much confirmed so I hope the notification one is, specifically SMS controls in the notification shade. The way cm handles it is perfect.

mturco

I'm not normally one to go in for this kind of thing.. but in 2013, I don't know what to believe. A buddy of mine says that I shouldn't get a Nexus 5 due to Google's privacy issues, the NSA, Snowden, and all that..

I'll admit I'm not 100% up to snuff on all of that stuff.. but am I being a noob in even entertaining what he is saying or is there any merit to it? ..and even if there were, wouldn't it be more about the carrier and not the MFG? Would it even matter in Canada, for that matter?

I fully expect a full mocking if I'm being an idiot here. It's what I get for living in the sheltered land of iPhones all these years.

*hides*
It won't matter whether you're on Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc the NSA can get whatever data they want. In other words, don't let privacy affect your decision because it won't matter. Google, Apple, and Microsoft all collect user data and could be forced to hand it over to the NSA.

AFAIK, they have been decoupling features from the main OS.

I rather have new features come the way of app / services updates (i.e. Android Device manager, Google Now, etc) than via an OS update.

The OS should definitely get faster, have a small footprint, tighter code, etc. That's what I want from an OS update.

I'm dying for them to detach the camera app and SMS app from the OS (ala Keyboard). Most OEMs like to use their own, so why should the Nexus owners suffer the wait?
Exactly. I think Google Play Game's Cloud Sync feature is huge (especially since it theoretically syncs with iOS games) and would have been a top feature of 4.3 had they not decoupled it from the OS.

Horseticuffs

When I upgraded from my One V, which was 4.1 if memory serves, to my Nexus 4 it blew my fucking mind when I logged in to my Google account and it started automatically downloading the same apps from my One V onto my Nexus.

If I recall correctly I was already logged into many of them, but perhaps those were only the Google ones. It was really awesome, though, because I was totally ready for it to be a nightmare setting up my Nexus like my One V and it all just sort of happened by itself.

I don't know if that was an OS change or an app change but it was certainly very new to me.

dubq

It won't matter whether you're on Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc the NSA can get whatever data they want. In other words, don't let privacy affect your decision because it won't matter. Google, Apple, and Microsoft all collect user data and could be forced to hand it over to the NSA.

Fair enough. I'm also in Canada so I'm not even sure if it would effect us to begin with. My buddy.. he's a bit paranoid.

dubq

The whole NSA thing has affected the entire world. The NSA has been spying on other countries' citizens too.

Right, but the level of paranoia my friend has is a little ridiculous.. which is why I am a bit ashamed of even entertaining his opinion on this. He thinks the feds are going to come for him if he texts a friend about a quarter-oz. of weed.

I'm sure he wears a snazzy tin-foil hat.

This. This right here. So much THIS. ;)

Vanillalite

Shit, wait for this or just get the N7?

Still base it on the size. I like the smaller form factor better, but both will be top of the line in the Android space for their size. One won't necessarily be better than the other, but rather just different because of the size.

Talon

Right, but the level of paranoia my friend has is a little ridiculous.. which is why I am a bit ashamed of even entertaining his opinion on this. He thinks the feds are going to come for him if he texts a friend about a quarter-oz. of weed.
I mean, if he's breaking the law, he's breaking the law.

You can be pissed off about getting pulled over for going 10 mph over the speed limit, but you were still going 10 mph over the speed limit.
Yeah, especially on civil citizens of a partner country.
You have no rights, German.

Blackhead

Redarse

If he's really paranoid then a Nexus + custom rom is the most private smartphone easily available.

Vanillalite

Also, don't date NSA data analyst.

On a side note about dating I remember once my crew all got together at our favorite local Mexican restaurant, and one of my buddies brought along this new girl he was dating. She happened to be a new local tv reporter.

The whole time it was like she was looking for a news scoop from all of us especially my best friend who was a police officer at the time. Needless to say I never saw her again after that night. LOL

Milchjon

Looking forward to seeing if they've come up with any actual benefit of a curved screen.

Because so far it sounds a lot like "because we can!"

mackattk

One of the benefits I can see is that the screen will be more protected against falls.

Cases will be kind of tricky though. I wouldn't mind trying a curved screen out, I'm certainly not sold on the idea yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom