• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Why do you keep mentioning the NEXT GOOGLE FONE (tm) as if its the real thing? Who says google will make a Nexus 5? The way google position the marketing this IS the successor of the N4.

We saw the ugly mug of this phone (with the moto logo in the corner) since half year ago. Where is the leaked image of the Nexue 5 where?

Christ enough with the logo in the corner, it's not on the phone

Why would the nexus 5 leak already, it's pretty far off still. And I don't see why it wouldn't be coming, especially if google wants to keep up the facade that they aren't showing motorola any favouritism.

I think next year might be a different story.

Deep down, Android-GAF has always been about specs.
am I android-gaf? I also love iOS and post in those threads too :( Only spec I care about in the year 2013 is battery life and camera. Everything else is adequate.

Deep down, Android-GAF has always been about specs.

Specs are nice will not say no but so long as the phone is faster than my Galaxy nexus takes much better pictures and has a long lasting battery I am easy.

Also concur with Pyro whilst I don't love iOS I do think Apple makes the best all round smartphone out there bar none.

tino

Banned
Why would the nexus 5 leak already, it's pretty far off still. And I don't see why it wouldn't be coming, especially if google wants to keep up the facade that they aren't showing motorola any favouritism.

am I android-gaf? I also love iOS and post in those threads too :( Only spec I care about in the year 2013 is battery life and camera. Everything else is adequate.

If its not leaked you shouldn't bring it up in every one of your post. You are basically misleading casual Android-GAF.

I do like the second video here for the moto x: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...-command-on-video-confirms-some-specs_id45292

when he clicks the link for reddit I like how it fluidly transitions into the browser. The future of android I hopes.

If its not leaked you shouldn't bring it up in every one of your post. You are basically misleading casual Android-GAF.
is casual android gaf even a thing? If you're posting in the thread in community I don't give a shit lol.

yyzjohn

Banned
Although I'm not planning on upgrading from my nexus 4 until next year I hope the Moto X is received well and sells well. If it looks good I might be on board if they have a 2014 refresh of it.

I don't know if it has been posted, but a lot of the pics and videos are straight from Reddit user http://www.reddit.com/user/KronikBudz who has the phone.

I haven't tried asking him anything, but he seems to be pretty open to posting info. The back of the phone doesn't look removable he said... so I guess you can't swap plates after it leaves the factory?? I dunno; maybe it's just his prototype. Also, he says everything is extremely fast.

EDIT: The always-on search is called Open Mic, and you can change the trigger phrase, but it has to be of a certain length.

4rbfEOu.jpg

There's no noticeable battery drain with the feature enables, allegedly.

I don't know if it has been posted, but a lot of the pics and videos are straight from Reddit user http://www.reddit.com/user/KronikBudz who has the phone.

I haven't tried asking him anything, but he seems to be pretty open to posting info. The back of the phone doesn't look removable he said... so I guess you can't swap plates after it leaves the factory?? I dunno; maybe it's just his prototype.
thanks for that

oh wow the phone is actually a great size. He said 2.5 inches wide and 5 inches tall. That's 63.5mm wide and 127mm tall which is pretty great these days. I hope google sticks with this size or less for now and always.

Groof

I'm gone for one day and look at all this discussion happening.
At this point with all the leaks that have been going on, they should just formally announce the Moto X and just send out the spec sheet. Everything seems to be good and fluid right now and honestly, stock Android (or close to stock in this case) seems to be an easy task to handle for anything from the S4 Pro and above.
In the leaked videos we see the phone be very responsive and if that holds true even in everyday life, then the silicone won't be much of an issue. I'm with Pyro on this one, the only specs we really need to know at this point is battery and camera. Are those two stellar, combined with a compelling price point I can definitely see this phone becoming a favourite. Especially if the customisation options will be wide and available across the globe, though I doubt that.

Personally however, I'll be waiting for next year's holiday season. As long as my N4 runs as it has been up to now I'll be in no rush to upgrade.

edit: and that bezel-less frame is quite the thing, too.

It is customizable. The phrase you use just has to be a certain length I believe he said. Obv no one is gonna say moto magic that's horrible lol.

tino

Banned
I have to admit customizable trigger phrase is pretty cool. Most people will set it to "OK HAL 9000" or "OK Agent Smith" etc.

Hey Gaf, I've been using my HTC One for a month or two now and absolutely love it.

But lately I've been having problems with one of my contacts, specifically my mom.

For every contact on my phone my ringtones work perfectly. I get notification blinking saying I had a missed call or text or whatever. But with my mom, I get no notification, I get no ringtone, and I have to go into my messages or phone history to find out if I had a missed call or text.

Any ideas on why this happens only with her? I checked and don't have her blocked, by the way. It's just a confusing and annoying thing that keeps popping up because obviously it's my mom, so it's kind of essential to have good communications going.

Ephemeris

Other than checking to see if there's any other contacts that her number is tied to, I'd just remake the contact card.

Can go to the website and copy-paste instead of doing it on the phone.

kehs

Banned

Your not androidgaf, you're hatergaf.

lbr

thespot84

does certain length min minimum or maximum? you'd think for the sake of eliminating false positives it would have a minimum, not a maximum. i.e. bitch wouldn't work, but klaatu barada nikto would

tino

Banned
since the only data point we have is 'ok moto magic' which is 6 syllables, 7 phonemes, my guess is the minimum would be somewhere around there. IMO the best phrase would be something from an obscure foreign language.

It shouldn't be that hard, if the phone has a couple mikes, it can tell if you are it at arm's length and speak into it.

3phemeral

since the only data point we have is 'ok moto magic' which is 6 syllables, 7 phonemes, my guess is the minimum would be somewhere around there. IMO the best phrase would be something from an obscure foreign language.

Seems logical to avoid unintentional activation. Though, I imagine it might be difficult with a requirement like that, even if generic.

With "Google," I was perfectly content with that default Google Now phrase. But anything beyond that comes off as an attempt to personify the device by referring to it via almost pet name-like moniker. But who knows, maybe it'll actually catch on.

Ephemeris

Seems logical to avoid unintentional activation. Though, I imagine it might be difficult with a requirement like that, even if generic.

With "Google," I was perfectly content with that default Google Now phrase. But anything beyond that comes off as an attempt to personify the device by referring to it via almost pet name-like moniker. But who knows, maybe it'll actually catch on.

Call yours Ephemeris. I'll wave the royalties.

Or download titanium pro and delete anything you want, including carrier and manufacturer bloat that often can't be deleted through those means.

We've also seen "ok google now" in a video I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom