• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Holy shit Twitter completely backtracked on their beta UI lmao. Looks better now without the useless drawer.

Looks worse because the bar on the bottom takes up screen real estate. The old useless drawer was useless, but at least it didn't get in the way of anything.

thespot84

I still can't wrap my head around the idea of either/or for BLE/NFC.

i always fantasized that all my devices (i'm talking shit like my dishwasher, fridge, lawnmower etc) would be laden with sensors, but would have no screen, and I could interface with them by going up and tapping my phone on it.

Basically, nothing would have buttons anymore, and your phone would provide the interface. I walk up to my washing machine, but i clothes in, tap the phone, the interface comes up where i select my wash cycle and all that fancy shit, and then i walk away and my phone alerts me when it's done. Another benefit of your phone as the interface is that you can upgrade the ui/software (and maybe firmware) in appliances that today would require a complete computer replacement and new set of buttons and knobs and whatnot from the maytag guy.

It's like chromecast, but for your washing machine.

But really, it's even more valuable when it's stuff you don't own. Got a presentation in someone elses office? walk up to the projector and tap your phone on it. Bam. Paired.

Need to print something off your phone at a friend's house? walk up and tap your phone on the printer. Bam. Printed.

Need to split the check at dinner? tap your phone on the table, a list of all the crap you had comes up, and you check off what was yours and pay for it. Bam. (paid for by Emeril).

All of this can be accomplished with some combination of NFC/BLE or both. Someone just needs to make my dream a reality.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That would be amazing.

I wish I could get rid of keys and wallets. All we need is a phone.

wAvFoG6.png

Unfortunately they're not Chrome apps. This is just the equivalent of Chrome desktop's "Make application shortcut."

Still, one more step forward..

chromephone.jpg

As someone who absolutely hates Java with all my being, this would be fantastic.

DXPett1

Why doesn't Twitter like people having easy access to lists?

This is one of the reasons I'm hanging on to Falcon Pro despite the developer going AWOL (more or less). If Twitter fixed this and added a inline browser I would go back to the OG app.

Indeed. There's space for both.

Agreed. NFC is great for transferring stuff between phones/tablets. I use this function all the time. If I could use Wallet I would day 1. Google need to help 3rd parties get their Systems integrated with Wallet. I would love a iOS passbook like feature for NFC systems. Stuff like Myki, Octopus, Oyster etc... should be able to add their cards to the digital wallet

Milchjon

I dreamed of using an Android phone and absolutely hating the keyboard.

I think I should stop reading about smartphones for a while :-/

Edit:

I really wish HTC would've put Android on their devices.
Gorgeous hardware, would've bought the heck out of them if they had used an actual full featured OS.

Sorry I had to and will stop now

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm going to swap SIM cards and use my One X as my main device for the entire day. First time I've used an android phone for a full day in more than three years. Wish me luck!

25 days in and the LG G2 is "almost too fast" is the worst thing Aaron from PhoneDog can say about it. Life's Good!

I got the LG G2 few days ago and I'm coming off from an iPhone 5 and I have to say the phone is blazingly fast.

The power and volume controls though felt weird at first sitting in the back, they actually are convenient. Then again with the double tap feature of the phone, you don't need the power button. You tap on the screen twice to wake up or tap twice on the empty screen to lock the phone, very convenient.

The display is gorgeous and I for one hate the AMOLED's on the Samsung's. Prefer the iPhone's, HTC One's display over them. As for the phone's size, though it has such a huge display, it doesn't look too big beside a HTC One X or the One. They did an excellent job with keeping the bezel to a minimum.

As for the battery life, with a phone having a 5.2 inch 1080p display, this device has an exceptional battery life. The best device I've owned in terms of battery life, it beats my , HTC One, iPhone 5, HTC One X, iPhone 4S, 3GS, the list can go on...

Haven't played with the camera much yet but I heard decent things about it. So looking forward to that as well.

compiled.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Farewell, Van. We shall remind you as the one who never really calmed down.

Doubt it. I'm having one of those crazy little random problems that drive you crazy and don't have an easy/obvious answer or explanation: I can't set reminders. One of the things I was most looking forward to was Google now, but it's slightly crippled where I live and setting reminders gives me a "can't reach Google at the moment" error. Ugh. I suppose I can use another app, and it's not like there is an easier way to set reminders on windows phone, but damn, why won't this crap just work?

tino

Banned
I'm going to swap SIM cards and use my One X as my main device for the entire day. First time I've used an android phone for a full day in more than three years. Wish me luck!

You would need more than one day to evaluate a phone. And please use a 3rd party launcher.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You would need more than one day to evaluate a phone. And please use a 3rd party launcher.

This is very true, but I'm not likely to use this for more than a day. I'm not having a problem with the launcher either, so I'm not changing it.

Doubt it. I'm having one of those crazy little random problems that drive you crazy and don't have an easy/obvious answer or explanation: I can't set reminders. One of the things I was most looking forward to was Google now, but it's slightly crippled where I live and setting reminders gives me a "can't reach Google at the moment" error. Ugh. I suppose I can use another app, and it's not like there is an easier way to set reminders on windows phone, but damn, why won't this crap just work?
Dunno, it should just work. I set reminders all the time.

Groof

That fact alone gave the G2 a billion plus points in my book.
That and it actually felt good in hand. And that screen mm mmmm

Shambles

You know you're doing Android wrong, when you're not using a 3rd party launcher.

I tried Holo HD on my N4 and it ended up making firefox a lot more stuttery. I don't use a lot of other apps but the launcher seems to reduce the smooth experience of the phone so I went back to the default launcher. Is this not usually the case with third party launchers? It was nice to basically double the amount of icons on each screen.

daoster

So after months of bitching and moaning about my Verizon Galaxy Nexus...I just went ahead and bought myself an HTC One on Ebay, and I decided to stick it out with Verizon.

I know that T-mobile offers the best deals, and if I want the latest and greatest phones with little to no BS attached. T-mobile is it.

I should really just go on TMobile...but...but...I really like Verizon's LTE service. And whatever I may think of their prices or the way they try to screw you over in terms of price, their I cannot complain about their service. And I love my unlimited LTE.

And I am just unsure of how reliable T-mobile's phone and data service holds up in the Bay Area, where my family lives (I pay for their plans), and I know for a fact that the Verizon service works flawlessly up there.

I know by going the HTC One on Verizon, I am giving up on what made my Galaxy Nexus great. Just browsing RootzWiki and XDA, the development scene for the Verizon HTC One is pathetically small, thanks to the locked bootloader, I'm sure. I am giving up on the chance of always having the latest and greatest version of Android. I am giving up on installing ROMs with cool new features, and the ability to easily remove Verizon bloatware. I am giving up a lot. But damn it, I can't stand my Galaxy Nexus anymore. The phone is fucking slow as molasses, it reboots wayyy too often, and the battery life, even with my giant extended battery, is weak as hell.

TL;DR By signing a deal with the devil for two more years, I am hoping that the advent of VoLTE and the dropping of CDMA on Verizon next year means that a future Nexus will come back to the Big Red.

So long Galaxy Nexus. Hello HTC One!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cool, everything is looking good, I'm customizing, let me change the wallpaper. Can't set it directly from flickr. OK. Open skydrive app, download photo....... not in the gallery. Where is it? Who knows. Android.

tino

Banned
EBay sells phones on contract?

A long time ago, the best on-contact deal I could find for a Treo 650 was a cellphone retailer on ebay. That's how I got my first Sprint phone. Its no difference from walking to a indirect wireless phone store and sign up a contract.

I think it was $50 for the Treo and once I got the phone, I called Sprint and setup the corperate discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom