• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, I've bookmarked a couple of posts by Galaxy users who insist that the latest version of Android adds nothing over Touchwiz. Would love to see their reactions if Hangouts+SMS/MMS is 4.4 only (even if I doubt that will happen).

MMS integration is huge. Sending mms (gifs in particular) is just broken on Android and is a big reason I want to switch to the iPhone 5s (just been waiting for Pebble to get their act together and support iOS7)

Do you mean broken outside of the fact that videos don't get automatically resized? Cuz that aspect drives me nuts.

you have any sports teams? I don't use it, i just dropped it there for the screenshot.

On a creepy google note, i'm not sure how long this has been there for as I have always taken public transportation until i moved to CA... but for my commute home card on a no traffic 25 minute ride, i will often see Traffic to Home - 44 minutes (6 minutes less then usual). So, it knows how much normal traffic is for the time i leave... which is creepy as shit

I believe Google bought out Waze and is using their community feedback real time traffic data. It's pretty accurate.

MattDoza

Finally found some marked KitKats. On sale too, 3 for $2. Although, I don't know why I got 3, you can only enter once, right?

Just submitted it. Didn't indicate that I had to use a password with numbers and letters, so I had to resubmit, and then it told me I already entered today. GREAT! Wasted code lol.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got an email, won $5.

Gvaz

Banned
wAvFoG6.png

Unfortunately they're not Chrome apps. This is just the equivalent of Chrome desktop's "Make application shortcut."

Still, one more step forward..

chromephone.jpg

The funniest thing here is I have no idea why Chromebooks are a thing in the first place.

I work at best buy and these things do not sell. By that I mean they're one of the highest returned items in the entire computer department. People keep buying them because they think it's a cheap laptop then go "i can only really browse the internet with this" or "I tried connecting to my work and the software isn't compatible".

They get it because it's dirt cheap because they think laptops are too expensive (we sell them for a loss actually, this is why companies push so much accessories, because they really should be like $150 baseline more expensive.) but then are unsatisfied that it's basically not a windows laptop regardless of us explaining it to them.

The funniest thing here is I have no idea why Chromebooks are a thing in the first place.

I work at best buy and these things do not sell. By that I mean they're one of the highest returned items in the entire computer department. People keep buying them because they think it's a cheap laptop then go "i can only really browse the internet with this" or "I tried connecting to my work and the software isn't compatible".

They get it because it's dirt cheap because they think laptops are too expensive (we sell them for a loss actually, this is why companies push so much accessories, because they really should be like $150 baseline more expensive.) but then are unsatisfied that it's basically not a windows laptop regardless of us explaining it to them.

Chromebooks are awesome, because they are secure and everything is sandboxed in a sandbox and you can't get malware on it … "Web apps (and Native Client) instead of Java. …, encrypted partitions, an entire second copy of the system image in case the first is infected or altered. Resumes and boots instantly. Built-in Google Drive support in the file manager (oh and there's a file manager.) Better support for web standards. Automatic and seamless updates. The list goes on." (it doesn't, actually). It's like Google's Windows RT.

Gvaz

Banned
Chromebooks are awesome, because they are secure and everything is sandboxed in a sandbox and you can't get malware on it … "Web apps (and Native Client) instead of Java. …, encrypted partitions, an entire second copy of the system image in case the first is infected or altered. Resumes and boots instantly. Built-in Google Drive support in the file manager (oh and there's a file manager.) Better support for web standards. Automatic and seamless updates. The list goes on." (it doesn't, actually). It's like Google's Windows RT.

Right but it's the lack of basic windows functionality that gets it returned right back to the store.

People want to run apps, apps they'd run on a computer. People want to pop in a dvd/bluray into their laptop or whatever.

People don't want a glorified internet browser for $200-250 or up to $1500. They want a laptop for $200-250 and the general public doesn't realize that that kind of price range is lala land.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
At the end of my short android experiment, I can see why Samsung sells better. Sense is pretty, but it chugs on year old hardware, basic functionality can be unintuitive at times, etc. Android (last year's version) has improved immensely from when I last used it. The core apps like search and Gmail are fantastic. The app store is a million times better than the WP one I'm used to. Not up there to the Apple one in my iPad, but its getting closer, devs need to spend a bit more time on the android versions.

I need to spend more time with android, but I feel like the One X and Sense isn't a fair way to judge the platform. I'll sell this phone and see about an N7 or N5.

Fox318

Only chromebook thats any good anyway is the pixel.

Gvaz

Banned
Only chromebook thats any good anyway is the pixel.

We don't carry the pixel for the same reason we don't carry the $1000 Surface RT lap monitors (you know, those $950 something 27" tablets with windows surface or RT or whatever it's called you can use like a huge tablet?), no one is interested in buying them in my zone.

this_guy

At the end of my short android experiment, I can see why Samsung sells better. Sense is pretty, but it chugs on year old hardware, basic functionality can be unintuitive at times, etc. Android (last year's version) has improved immensely from when I last used it. The core apps like search and Gmail are fantastic. The app store is a million times better than the WP one I'm used to. Not up there to the Apple one in my iPad, but its getting closer, devs need to spend a bit more time on the android versions.

I need to spend more time with android, but I feel like the One X and Sense isn't a fair way to judge the platform. I'll sell this phone and see about an N7 or N5.

It wasn't until next year's model the HTC One where HTC toned town Sense and and reviewers started liking it. I haven't used the newer Sense so I don't have a real opinion - just regurgitating information.

gcubed

I think the one x has the new sense (5)?

It's definitely gotten better all the way up the one, but it's still not "speedy".

Sense 5 is an overhaul from what I understand. It's streamlined and makes minimal changes so it runs smooth. No hiccups like Touch Wizz gives you.

tino

Banned

I had a 11.6" Chromebook for a couple months. Both my wife and me really liked it. Its perfect to use on bed. It s less than $200 and it weight and feels exactly like the 11" Macbook Air.

If all you do is browse online when watching TV. There is no difference between the Samsung Chromebook and the 11" MBA.

It's also perfect to use in Starbuck, you can really use it for 6 hours and longer.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think the one x has the new sense (5)?

It's definitely gotten better all the way up the one, but it's still not "speedy".

Yeah, there's supposed to be an update with sense 5 and android 2.2 but....... at&t.

Also, why doesn't the Nook hd+ get more mentions? I know its basically orphaned, but you get google play, 1080p screen and an SD slot for $80 less than a Nexus 7? What am I missing here?

DXPett1

I believe Google bought out Waze and is using their community feedback real time traffic data. It's pretty accurate.

I had my first traffic alert from this the other month (13 minute commute lol) and it blew me away. It was times perfectly and I took its advice which made for a smooth ride home. Google Now at full strength is creepy good

Re: Hangouts SMS/MMS integration vs Voice, noonegivesashitharrisonford.gif outside the US about Google Voice. Google themselves probably have zero people staffed for it

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finally found some marked KitKats. On sale too, 3 for $2. Although, I don't know why I got 3, you can only enter once, right?

Just submitted it. Didn't indicate that I had to use a password with numbers and letters, so I had to resubmit, and then it told me I already entered today. GREAT! Wasted code lol.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got an email, won $5.

Can I have one of your other codes then?

I still have yet to find these kit Kat's in the wild.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah, there's supposed to be an update with sense 5 and android 2.2 but....... at&t.

Also, why doesn't the Nook hd+ get more mentions? I know its basically orphaned, but you get google play, 1080p screen and an SD slot for $80 less than a Nexus 7? What am I missing here?

Go to XDA

1) Unlock Boot loader
2) Root
3) Immediately S-Off
4) Install TWRP 2.6.3
5) Flash Clean ROM or Viper
6) Roll with Sense 5

PS: The problem the One X has compared to Sammy is GS3 and Gnote both had 2 gigs of RAM. HTC didn't go to 2 gigs till the One. So it gimps multitasking to an extent.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

9r1FxlP.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm excited for automatic Hangouts status indicators. Driving, tablet, phone... So cool.

Sense 5 is an overhaul from what I understand. It's streamlined and makes minimal changes so it runs smooth. No hiccups like Touch Wizz gives you.

TW is smooth. the only reason it wasn't at the GS4 launch is Samsung saw the HTC One's buzz and pushed their release date up.

because the HiSense Sero 7 Pro exists.

Desavona

Well i bought an xperia Z1 yesterday and i must say im very happy with my purchase :)

My previous phones have been GS1, GS2, iPhone 4 and a GS3 im quite used to TW so does anyone know how when you go to contacts and swipe left and right on the contact it either call or SMSs ? Is there a way to do that on the Sony? Im really missing that feature plus smart stay (keeps phone from sleeping while you look at it) also :(

Build quality of this thing is amazing! I already washed it in the sink lol.

XRTPger.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_3-review-996.php

Well i bought an xperia Z1 yesterday and i must say im very happy with my purchase :)

My previous phones have been GS1, GS2, iPhone 4 and a GS3 im quite used to TW so does anyone know how when you go to contacts and swipe left and right on the contact it either call or SMSs ? Is there a way to do that on the Sony? Im really missing that feature plus smart stay (keeps phone from sleeping while you look at it) also :(

those are TouchWiz features.

Download EX Dialer off the playstore (it's free). It replaces the stock dialer/contact list and has the swipe left/right to call text feature.

wilflare

Because SMS/hangouts integration would be a legitimately good feature, not a gimmick that has minimal utility beyond generating a bunch of news stories?

they better have a dark theme to go along with that Hangouts/SMS update

are all of you using Chrome for Android?

Cipherr

Because SMS/hangouts integration would be a legitimately good feature, not a gimmick that has minimal utility beyond generating a bunch of news stories?

Google Now is no gimmick. Its probably the best built in mobile app introduced by the big 3 in the last 2 years. I said it as soon as it came out, and I still stand by it: All the other mobile OS's will copy Google Now. Apple is already CLEARLY headed to copying it with their 'Today' section in iOS and the acquisition of Cue.

Its just great software all around, its useful and easy to get accustomed to, and currently only Android has it. Only piece of innovative software the smartphone market I have seen in a whiiiiiiiiiile.

Google Now is no gimmick. Its probably the best built in mobile app introduced by the big 3 in the last 2 years. I said it as soon as it came out, and I still stand by it: All the other mobile OS's will copy Google Now. Apple is already CLEARLY headed to copying it with their 'Today' section in iOS and the acquisition of Cue.

Its just great software all around, its useful and easy to get accustomed to, and currently only Android has it. Only piece of innovative software the smartphone market I have seen in a whiiiiiiiiiile.

It's pretty much a gimmick outside the US and maybe Canada and the UK.

Hi, I want a drawing tablet. But I don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars.

The Wacom Cintiq is too expensive for my tastes, right now.
As does a lot of Microsoft based stuff like the surface.

Even the 10 inch versions of the Samsung Galaxy Note, which are supposedly pretty good for drawing, are a lot more than I'd like to spend.

But a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is in my price range. I don't suppose that would suffice for drawing until I get more money or prices come down?

I'm kind of interested in the Samsung Galaxy tab 2. For a few things. Drawing, browsing and posting on the internet, and playing games like Mega Man via emulators with the keyboard. I doubt I could beat Mega Man 1 with a touchscreen, even on a 10 inch screen. But if Android emulators had proper keyboard support, I'm pretty good at playing classic console games on a keyboard. So it's an option.

How would you rate this device in general, and for my needs?

yyzjohn

Banned
Google Now is an added feature to the Google Search app. Which has been on every version of android.

Sure but Google Now is totally new functionality built into search and wasn't on older phones already. SMS exists in all phones just in a separate app. Not like the older phones can't handle SMS.

tino

Banned
I just realized most of the Android OEM are start doing the good naming schemes of Leica/Apple/Samsung. We have LG Op G, G2, and Sony Z, Z1 and hopefully G3 and Z2 next year. All the minor OEM are following the same naming scheme of Ascent P1/P2, Xiaomi 1,2,2S,3 etc.

That leaves HTC with the dumbest flagship phone name without any possible way to name a follow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom