• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

So disappointed that there's nothing I can do with my Xperia SP's 8GB of internal memory :( It's so idiotic that apps can't be installed on the SD card. It's a great phone and a big upgrade over my Xperia P, but my Xperia P had double the internal memory. Bleeeh. I love Android but I've recently being suffering fragmentation issues and now this. It does make me wonder if I'd enjoy a phone that acts just like my iPod Touch, to be honest.

Even a Nintendo 3DS can install stuff on a SD card, lol. So much for Android being a super open, customizable OS :(

Eanan

I've used both a friends Samsung S4 and my Nexus 4 running stock 4.3 side by side, and didn't notice any lag whatsover on either device, so touchwiz must be well optimised now.

DXPett1

i've been following the nexus 5 development and i almost held out on android long enough. seems great, but increasingly i don't think he nexus program actually serves google's ends here. it's not going to significantly change the marketplace - the S V and One Two are going to look like they're going to look regardless. at most i think it's a development device sold in a limited capacity to the general public, and that's not much to get excited about.

The Nexus program was initially about setting the benchmark as well as giving a platform for devs to develop on (Nexus One, S, 7). Since then I believe it's been about creating relations with OEMs and the information/feedback that passes to and fro while providing for a niche market

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nice Nexus leak. We're done wondering about that phone now. It's all over. Let's start talking about 4.4 now.

so do i. interesting qualcomm doesn't seem to have anything else on the horizon though.

i've been following the nexus 5 development and i almost held out on android long enough. seems great, but increasingly i don't think he nexus program actually serves google's ends here. it's not going to significantly change the marketplace - the S V and One Two are going to look like they're going to look regardless. at most i think it's a development device sold in a limited capacity to the general public, and that's not much to get excited about.

google clearly have a good arrangement with lg here - desperate for relevance - and i think it should use that to push the envelope further. google's interests are not the device manufacturers, and a samsung hegemony on samsung's terms is terrible for the platform. google doesn't need a $350 nexus, it needs a $150-$200 nexus and it needs to market the hell out of it. at that price range, they could produce a fast, compelling device. not with the best camera, but a decent one. not with the nexus 5's 1080p screen, but a great one nonetheless. google wants most users to have a compelling mobile experience that hooks into their services, and that's exactly what the current android low-midrange isn't providing. with stock android, google could set their sights on the iPhone 5c and deliver for $400 less. the $700, contract, carrier-and-OEM led model is regressive for android.
so what you're saying is Google needs to sell the Moto X for $200? i agree.

Milchjon

Ars Technica's Galaxy Gear review has one of the best introductions ever:

When a new article is posted on the Internet, the first addition to the comments section is often an inconsequential, one-word statement: "First!"

The frequent "First!" cry of the Internet troll declares some strange pride in being the first to comment on an article. The commenter put little to no effort into the post; it added nothing to the conversation, and it was completely devoid of substance. The troll did secure the spot at the top of the thread, though, and every additional commenter will be forced to scroll past the pointless contribution.

The Samsung Galaxy Gear says "First!" in hardware form.
Samsung has beaten Google and Apple as the first major manufacturer to market, but much like the Internet commenter, it has sacrificed substance for the sake of timing. The Galaxy Gear is a product (with some impressive internals, no less) that has such limited use and such crippling compatibility requirements that it is currently the equivalent of hardware spam. While the Gear won't even come close to serving the needs of the vast majority of people, we're going to be talking about smartwatches a lot in the coming months, so if nothing else, the Gear provides a great starting point.

W8EFKqj.png

Great to hear. I've definitely been hearing some great things about the Galaxy Note in terms of drawing, which I would definitely like.

Unfortunately, as I look at Newegg, the 10 inch versions of the Galaxy Note are generally like $500 or more.

While, on the other hand, you can get a Galaxy Tab for much less money.

I don't suppose I could find a goodpossible tablet for drawing in that price range?
that's the new model, you can get the previous model for less

Just checked the specs sheet, it has exactly the same dimensions and weight as the N4.

133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1 mm - 139g

Can't help but wish that battery had a few 100mah more..... but HTC managed to squeeze plenty of life out of their 2300mah battery on the One, so perhaps Google's engineers can work wonders with the S800 chipset.

Groof

Yoshiya

so what you're saying is Google needs to sell the Moto X for $200? i agree.

yeah basically. i suspect that's the real strategic value of the moto purchase - gives google a nuclear option if samsung seriously threatens to obviate or replace google services and really go galaxy-first on its devices. google doesn't want device profits, and it'll take a scorched-earth approach to smartphones if it needs to, like any of the markets it's entered simply to undermine with a profit-negative product. all that matters is protecting search and adwords. in a differentiated android market google holds all the power, but samsung's dominance is a greater threat to google now than apple (who is mostly content to let it own the online service space).

The Nexus program was initially about setting the benchmark as well as giving a platform for devs to develop on (Nexus One, S, 7). Since then I believe it's been about creating relations with OEMs and the information/feedback that passes to and fro while providing for a niche market
i still don't think this justification stands - google has ceded control of the android market to a company that has no interest in being told what to do. the nexus 7 was perhaps the last nexus device to really have a role in setting consumer trends, and that's simply because it launched with aggressively low margins. if google wants to use the nexus program to advance android and not just "serve a niche market" - given that has no point and certainly does not call for an effective subsidy - it should move beyond LG and work with the next wave of low-cost chinese manufactures. google's aims are essentially antithetical to those of the android incumbents, if you can even use the plural anymore.

what was the point of the nexus 4 or nexus 10? they didn't inform the design of the S IV, one or note 10.1. those devices would have looked exactly the same regardless. the only apparent value of the current nexus program is to ensure forum-dwellers don't forget what stock android looks like.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Groof, are you sitting out the N5? I'm still undecided.

Atrocious? It's 200 mAh more than the Nexus 4, and 100 more than the Moto X (which had well reviewed battery life from most places.) Pictures aren't all about megapixels and battery life isn't all about mAh. Let's wait for reviews.

Again, though, optimize all you want. 3000 will be better than 2200, especially when both will be 'optimized.'

Atrocious? It's 200 mAh more than the Nexus 4, and 100 more than the Moto X (which had well reviewed battery life from most places.) Pictures aren't all about megapixels and battery life isn't all about mAh. Let's wait for reviews.

yeah, we're talking 3/4 of this:

6Ml5lep.jpg

could be worse.

Again, though, optimize all you want. 3000 will be better than 2200, especially when both will be 'optimized.'

$700 MSRP vs 2300mAh

yogloo

Hi, I want a drawing tablet. But I don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars.

The Wacom Cintiq is too expensive for my tastes, right now.
As does a lot of Microsoft based stuff like the surface.

Even the 10 inch versions of the Samsung Galaxy Note, which are supposedly pretty good for drawing, are a lot more than I'd like to spend.

But a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is in my price range. I don't suppose that would suffice for drawing until I get more money or prices come down?

I'm kind of interested in the Samsung Galaxy tab 2. For a few things. Drawing, browsing and posting on the internet, and playing games like Mega Man via emulators with the keyboard. I doubt I could beat Mega Man 1 with a touchscreen, even on a 10 inch screen. But if Android emulators had proper keyboard support, I'm pretty good at playing classic console games on a keyboard. So it's an option.

How would you rate this device in general, and for my needs?
Please try to buy galaxy note 8. It is one of the best device I have ever used.

Groof

Yeah I'll be sitting this one out. Mostly due to monetary reasons, but also because I still really enjoy using the N4. It works great and performs great, and I believe it'll do so for at least another year. It will also probably be supported as such.
Only reason I can see to switch would be battery life, but that's not that big of an issue either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

And $700 will always be more than $350. A Nexus is never going to be 100% like the phone it's based on. From my perspective, Google is still improving on it every year, and that's good enough for me.

kinggroin

Banned
I own an HTC Incredible. It takes a couple minutes for the notification bar to drop when pulled. The SD card sometimes falls out, even while the case is on. The screen is turning yellow in spots. The battery is worse than the VZW Galaxy Nexus,. I can't call 30% of my contacts because pressing 2 makes the phone reboot.

The N5 can't get here sooner.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So how good ROM support do you guys think the G2 will have in the next couple of years? Its only 150 for a Verizon upgrade and I am thinking of pulling the trigger. Certainly pick it over a S4, but a Droid Maxx is still tugging at me for some reason, the Motorola/Google experience out of the box is enticing.

If only the N5 were coming to Verizon.

On a side note, is there an app/widget that can continuously monitor Google Now voice activation while the phone is awake/on? Without a button.

I've been thinking of using S Health
just want something like a Running Companion of sorts...

found
-endomondo
-runtastic
-runkeeper
-zombies, run
-Google's own "My Tracks"

----
how do people run with the Note 3 anyway

Kind of wondering the same things. I use RunKeeper on iOS currently, but eyeing the S4 or the MotoX for my device. I like RK enough.

Might need to find a nice armband for it.

Yum, OIS, 32gb, and new screen tech.

I hope you people skipping this year will stick to your word, so I will have a better chance snagging one at launch. :)

You won't, though.

kehs

Banned
If it's not AMOLED, that means it won't have Active Notifications, or if does they'll be battery-draining. Is that correct?

Well it has a notification light, so probably not. Besides, that's a moto thing and not an aosp thing.

Every time I look at a samoled I get sad when I got back to my shitty LCD n4. =/

Played with an LG G2 today.

Gorgeous screen. Barely a bezel in sight.

But I just don't think I can go back to skinned Android after 18 months of GN/N4. I thought I could manage it, then I pulled the notification shade down and there it was..... some god awful Comic Sans MS-esque font. Who makes these design choices?

But I do have an itchy trigger finger, and the G2 is only £399, so if the N5 doesn't deliver in the battery life stakes then I may still take the plunge. :/

I've never had a non google expierence device.(Droid1, Galaxy Nexus, Moto Xoom) but the note 3 is making me switch.

Seems like if you are gonna get the G2 the only way to really use it is to flash a good rom on it.

I'm waiting to see if the G2 gets ROM support before I think about getting it. Haven't seen anything really pop up AOSP-wise yet.

This is pretty much my feelings on it as well after trying it out in store. However, you can change the font to Roboto and you can even turn on the CRT screen turn off effect if you like. Which is like the best feature ever.
I could see myself living with a G2, but after maybe 6 months I'd want to go back to stock. N4 has spoiled me.

I've been using an LG G2 for the past few days.

- That Comic Sans font, it isn't the default font but yeah you can switch it.
- I've never flashed an Android phone, so I wouldn't be able to answer any of those questions.
- The CRT screen effect is what I'm using right now for every time I lock my screen and it is pretty cool :p

I've been a smartphone user since the first iPhone came out which is in 2007 and I've used iOS, Android and WP7/8. The thing I'm most impressed with this phone is the battery, I don't make too many calls but I use lots of WhatsApp and browsing on my phone which consumes LTE. No smartphone has ever lasted me all day, at the end of the day, I need to get my phone to charge. Coming from an iPhone 5, which I will need to charge every 8-10 hours because of my heavy usage and all.
This phone lasted me all day and night and I still have 21% of juice left the next morning. For a 5.2 inch 1080p display, which is gorgeous, almost as good as the HTC One, the battery life on this phone is tremendous. The best of a smartphone I have ever used or seen. Keep in mind, I have the location services turned on all the time which consumes a lot more data and charge(usually have it turned off on the iPhone).

10116885635_e7655aef78_z.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any questions regarding the phone and hopefully I'd be able to answer.

Blackhead

Redarse
between that and the Note 3 review, it seems like someone has a grudge. they're still making 'too big' jokes about the Note... who does that?!

Seriously. FFS the Galaxy Gear isnt even Samsung's first watch. All these reviews are just trolling by stacking the Galaxy Gear against an imaginary perfect iWatch.

Blackhead

Redarse
But what if the S Watch is really that bad?

Is it really that bad**? I wouldn't know from these reviews whose biggest complaints are that it's expensive, only works with Galaxy devices and that Samsung didnt wait until Apple released an imaginary iWatch to copy it (as though an Apple watch wouldnt be expensive or only work with iOS devices).

**Yes, it's bad.

tino

Banned
The "First" burn is really good but Samsung isn't even remotely first.

They basically just want to beat Apple to the punch. Actually my theory is that Samsung want to fill the media with uselfess smartwatch buzzword so if and when the iWatch is announced people will lost interest.

Is it really that bad**? I wouldn't know from these reviews whose biggest complaints are that it's expensive, only works with Galaxy devices and that Samsung didnt wait until Apple released an imaginary iWatch to copy it (as though an Apple watch wouldnt be expensive or only work with iOS devices).

**Yes, it's bad.

Right now, the S Watch only works with the Note 3 and Note 10.1. It's stupid to launch this without supporting the S3 or, hell, even the S4.

Blackhead

Redarse
Right now, the S Watch only works with the Note 3 and Note 10.1. It's stupid to launch this without supporting the S3 or, hell, even the S4.

*shrug* support is coming and it's not like Apple hasn't launched features only for the latest model of the iPhone before. It's a weird complaint to be trumpeted so loudly by these reviewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom