• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I just realized most of the Android OEM are start doing the good naming schemes of Leica/Apple/Samsung. We have LG Op G, G2, and Sony Z, Z1 and hopefully G3 and Z2 next year. All the minor OEM are following the same naming scheme of Ascent P1/P2, Xiaomi 1,2,2S,3 etc.

That leaves HTC with the dumbest flagship phone name without any possible way to name a follow up.

HTC O2

kehs

Banned
Seventy fire hours, but then you gotta carry a tablet in your pocket, no thanks sammy.

Sure but Google Now is totally new functionality built into search and wasn't on older phones already. SMS exists in all phones just in a separate app. Not like the older phones can't handle SMS.

theres no reason why google now couldnt have worked with older androids

yyzjohn

Banned
Seventy fire hours, but then you gotta carry a tablet in your pocket, no thanks sammy.

theres no reason why google now couldnt have worked with older androids

The point is SMS is already on every phone it wouldn't take much to move it from the existing messaging app and into hangouts. Google Now has no bearing.

3phemeral

Hi, I want a drawing tablet. But I don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars.

The Wacom Cintiq is too expensive for my tastes, right now.
As does a lot of Microsoft based stuff like the surface.

Even the 10 inch versions of the Samsung Galaxy Note, which are supposedly pretty good for drawing, are a lot more than I'd like to spend.

But a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is in my price range. I don't suppose that would suffice for drawing until I get more money or prices come down?

I'm kind of interested in the Samsung Galaxy tab 2. For a few things. Drawing, browsing and posting on the internet, and playing games like Mega Man via emulators with the keyboard. I doubt I could beat Mega Man 1 with a touchscreen, even on a 10 inch screen. But if Android emulators had proper keyboard support, I'm pretty good at playing classic console games on a keyboard. So it's an option.

How would you rate this device in general, and for my needs?

The Note tablets are actually quite good with drawing. The main problem you'll face with Android stylus-enabled tablets is the software support for drawing apps that compare to their PC counterparts. Some swear by Sketchbook Pro, but I find it's not quite up to the level of a Photoshop CS5. You have other drawing apps that you can also export as psd files, but that's entirely on how familiar - and ultimately reliant - on your familiarity with the PC versions.

Hardware wise, the Note tablets are perfectly capable of producing similar level work, but it's a matter of whether you're willing to work with the software, and that's hard to determine if you don't have a unity with you to get accustomed to. Plus, I gather they're not as robust in terms of large file handling as you would for a full-blown core i5/7 CPU versus an atom processor designed around a mobile, low-power usage platform.

Wacom has a monopoly for a reason, and it's because they make the best hardware. Although, tablet PCs with wacom pens work pretty damned good too (you might be able to find a fujitsu stylistic for $200 on ebay), but it's 2006 technology and it's a pretty inelegant solution compared to modern products.

The Note tablets are actually quite good with drawing. The main problem you'll face with Android stylus-enabled tablets is the software support for drawing apps that compare to their PC counterparts. Some swear by Sketchbook Pro, but I find it's not quite up to the level of a Photoshop CS5. You have other drawing apps that you can also export as psd files, but that's entirely on how familiar - and ultimately reliant - on your familiarity with the PC versions.

Hardware wise, the Note tablets are perfectly capable of producing similar level work, but it's a matter of whether you're willing to work with the software, and that's hard to determine if you don't have a unity with you to get accustomed to.
Great to hear. I've definitely been hearing some great things about the Galaxy Note in terms of drawing, which I would definitely like.

Unfortunately, as I look at Newegg, the 10 inch versions of the Galaxy Note are generally like $500 or more.

While, on the other hand, you can get a Galaxy Tab for much less money.

I don't suppose I could find a goodpossible tablet for drawing in that price range?

kehs

Banned
The point is SMS is already on every phone it wouldn't take much to move it from the existing messaging app and into hangouts. Google Now has no bearing.

Well, Mr. Page had been getting rid of all the people responsible for all those initiatives that allowed for backward compatibility.

I'm just saying, their track record hasn't been that clean and now with management it'll prob be worse.

3phemeral

Great to hear. I've definitely been hearing some great things about the Galaxy Note in terms of drawing, which I would definitely like.

Unfortunately, as I look at Newegg, the 10 inch versions of the Galaxy Note are generally like $500 or more.

While, on the other hand, you can get a Galaxy Tab for much less money.

I don't suppose I could find a goodpossible tablet for drawing in that price range?
There are always the non-Cintiq versions, which a lot of artists still use. You can even get 20 inch Bamboo tablets for the price you're looking for. It really depends. The downside to having your drawing tablet be the screen is that your hand can block when you're inking. The good thing is that it's more intuitive.

Screen-based drawing tablets are always going to be super expensive and you're not going to want to skimp on specs if you're looking for something that will handle large files. If you're just using the Note a sktech-only device with no real polishing, then it's perfect for note taking and doodling ideas before they're finalized.

I bought a T902 recently, and it's great (I'm actually using it now), but there are a lot of issues with palm rejection and interference while using the stylus and having weird bugs pop up. My bf has a note phone, note tablet, and a Samsung Seures 7 Slate, all of which have superior palm rejection. The Series 7 Slate he bought on ebay for a ridiculous $400, and it runs fine for most tasks. It would probably even be great for some medium-size photoshopping. Only problem is it tends to run hot during heavy use with full screen brightness, but he hasn't had the same issues I do with glitchy pen detection when my palm is resting on the screen while inking.

Devices like these really benefit from you being able to get your hands on one and spending a good amount of time familiarizing yourself with it. If you can get access to something like this, I think it would highly benefit your decision-making process.

Good app for filming, anyone?

I have a N4, and the deafult app keeps refocusing when filming and ruins every video.

For photos I usually use Camera FX, and the app allows you to lock the focus. I'm looking for something similar.

Hi, I want a drawing tablet. But I don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars.

The Wacom Cintiq is too expensive for my tastes, right now.
As does a lot of Microsoft based stuff like the surface.

Even the 10 inch versions of the Samsung Galaxy Note, which are supposedly pretty good for drawing, are a lot more than I'd like to spend.

But a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is in my price range. I don't suppose that would suffice for drawing until I get more money or prices come down?

I'm kind of interested in the Samsung Galaxy tab 2. For a few things. Drawing, browsing and posting on the internet, and playing games like Mega Man via emulators with the keyboard. I doubt I could beat Mega Man 1 with a touchscreen, even on a 10 inch screen. But if Android emulators had proper keyboard support, I'm pretty good at playing classic console games on a keyboard. So it's an option.

How would you rate this device in general, and for my needs?

if you want to draw, you definitely want a Note or better.

Fox318

Just played with a Note 3 at best buy.

Damn that phone is big and the fake leather feels really good.

If the Nexus 5 isn't the holy grail I'm, gonna pick it up.

Played with an LG G2 today.

Gorgeous screen. Barely a bezel in sight.

But I just don't think I can go back to skinned Android after 18 months of GN/N4. I thought I could manage it, then I pulled the notification shade down and there it was..... some god awful Comic Sans MS-esque font. Who makes these design choices?

But I do have an itchy trigger finger, and the G2 is only £399, so if the N5 doesn't deliver in the battery life stakes then I may still take the plunge. :/

Fox318

The notes are the real Samsung flagship phones.
I've never had a non google expierence device.(Droid1, Galaxy Nexus, Moto Xoom) but the note 3 is making me switch.

But I just don't think I can go back to skinned Android after 18 months of GN/N4. I thought I could manage it, then I pulled the notification shade down and there it was..... some god awful Comic Sans MS-esque font. Who makes these design choices?

But I do have an itchy trigger finger, and the G2 is only £399, so if the N5 doesn't deliver in the battery life stakes then I may still take the plunge. :/
Seems like if you are gonna get the G2 the only way to really use it is to flash a good rom on it.

Toki767

I'm waiting to see if the G2 gets ROM support before I think about getting it. Haven't seen anything really pop up AOSP-wise yet.

Groof

This is pretty much my feelings on it as well after trying it out in store. However, you can change the font to Roboto and you can even turn on the CRT screen turn off effect if you like. Which is like the best feature ever.
I could see myself living with a G2, but after maybe 6 months I'd want to go back to stock. N4 has spoiled me.

Seems like if you are gonna get the G2 the only way to really use it is to flash a good rom on it.

I know, I did mean to check out XDA to see if Root/Flashing is a possibility.

But even then... I don't really want to have to mess around with custom roms. I've flashed CM on budget devices, but on a flagship device it should have a brilliant user experience out the box. :/

I think the N5 is the inevitable purchase. Here's hoping that the battery life improves a lot over the N4.

Pyrokai

Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I'm looking to sell my Galaxy S3 that no longer is in use or has service. Can I just throw this thing up on eBay? How can I make sure it works for whomever buys it from me? Isn't there an MEID or something like that? I'm not real sure on these things...

Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I'm looking to sell my Galaxy S3 that no longer is in use or has service. Can I just throw this thing up on eBay? How can I make sure it works for whomever buys it from me? Isn't there an MEID or something like that? I'm not real sure on these things...
What model number is it?

Artem would definitely notice something like that, he has crazy OCD, you can tell from all of those articles on the tiny changes in apps.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mad props to MattDoza for hooking me up with a free Kit Kat code!

Alright GAF what should I spend my $5 on? I need game or app suggestions.

So typically touchwiz on any Samsung device is awful. Slow as balls and stutters like hell. I put the Note 3 through it's paces today and no issue in sight. I think Samsung may have actually found hardware powerful enough to push their software. Took a while but it was impressive.

tino

Banned
Just got a mint Xperia Z from eBay. The fucking guy didn't included the SIM tray.

I took a chance and cut the SIM myself and just stick it in. Lo and behold you don't really need the SIM tray to get the work.

Chrome browser OTHO is really hard for me to adjust to. I wish there is something like ics browser + on 4.1 :(

wilflare

What kind of app are you looking for, what kind of features?

I've been thinking of using S Health
just want something like a Running Companion of sorts...

found
-endomondo
-runtastic
-runkeeper
-zombies, run
-Google's own "My Tracks"

----
how do people run with the Note 3 anyway

Purported Service Manual Gives A Look At The Next Nexus Phone, Reveals 32GB Storage, 8MP OIS Camera, Photos, And More

nexusae0_image5.png

That battery is atrocious.

So typically touchwiz on any Samsung device is awful. Slow as balls and stutters like hell. I put the Note 3 through it's paces today and no issue in sight. I think Samsung may have actually found hardware powerful enough to push their software. Took a while but it was impressive.
Hahahaha what? TouchWiz performance has been great except for the GS4 launch, which they rushed.

reKon

Banned

It's not, but I really wish it was at around 2700mAH. Is it really that big of a cut cutting issue for them? Or is it an engineering issue?

Anyways, this thing looks like it's going to be amazing at $350.

They resolved my major complaint about not offering a 32 GB, size which was an absolute must for me (which is the reason why I avoided the Nexus 4 and chose the HTC One over the S4).

Toki767

Wait...can you register a bunch of those Android Kit Kat codes using a different e-mail each time and then get free $5 credit every time?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I think the only thing that would get me to upgrade from my N4 is a massive leap in battery life. Looks like I'll be skipping the N5 (although I could be persuaded still).

Snapdragon 800 also supposedly charges your phone 75% faster than 600. The 800 is more efficiently battery wise I believe because each core can individually throttle up and down depending on the situation.

If google optimizes well, it could be great.

Yoshiya

Dat 800, glad they put it in. I want.

so do i. interesting qualcomm doesn't seem to have anything else on the horizon though.

i've been following the nexus 5 development and i almost held out on android long enough. seems great, but increasingly i don't think the nexus program actually serves google's ends here. it's not going to significantly change the marketplace - the S V and One Two are going to look like they're going to look regardless. at most i think it's a development device sold in a limited capacity to the general public, and that's not much to get excited about.

google clearly have a good arrangement with lg here - desperate for relevance - and i think it should use that to push the envelope further. google's interests are not the device manufacturers', and a samsung hegemony on samsung's terms is terrible for the platform. google doesn't need a $350 nexus, it needs a $150-$200 nexus and it needs to market the hell out of it. at that price range, they could produce a fast, compelling device. not with the best camera, but a decent one. not with the nexus 5's 1080p screen, but a great one nonetheless. google wants most users to have a compelling mobile experience that hooks into their services, and that's exactly what the current android low-midrange isn't providing. with stock android, google could set their sights on the iPhone 5c and deliver for $400 less. the $700, contract, carrier-and-OEM led model is regressive for android.

Toki767

All LG have to do to make a dent in Samsung's business is to not touch the default Android skin. They can add whatever features they want but I don't want to look at such ugly coloring schemes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom