• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
lol... Chrome's worse?
:/ pretty disappointing the batt only last 12hours on Note 3 with Dolphin

I match Dolphin with Greenify and it stops battery drain. But you constantly lose your pages. So a big tradeoff. But i can't use any other browser.

gcubed

Is it really that bad**? I wouldn't know from these reviews whose biggest complaints are that it's expensive, only works with Galaxy devices and that Samsung didnt wait until Apple released an imaginary iWatch to copy it (as though an Apple watch wouldnt be expensive or only work with iOS devices).

**Yes, it's bad.

Apple and Google's watches get reviewed better because they don't exist. Nothingness is better then the Gear.

wilflare

I match Dolphin with Greenify and it stops battery drain. But you constantly lose your pages. So a big tradeoff. But i can't use any other browser.

I don't get why Dolphin runs in the background when I'm not using it though :/
weird seeing it under the Battery Settings menu.

I'm on my Note 3... maybe I should root so I can use Greenify (read that it's a really nifty app)

Threi

notag
lol... Chrome's worse?
:/ pretty disappointing the batt only last 12hours on Note 3 with Dolphin
Chrome is usually the worst browser with regards to battery life.

I suggest AOSP browser. Depending on your device it can be installed without root.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's a false equivalence. 700 mAh doesn't make the phone double the price.

There's a lot of factors but that's certainly one. I don't doubt that Google had to make a lot of decisions in order to get the price down (like no SD card and 8mp camera.) The fact it's basically a G2 except for three things is mind bogglingly to me.

Man, people are so fucking spoiled. This is going to be the best phone of the year at a price that's 50%-70% of the competition.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Andrex, no one is spoiled. It's just no one but you is willing to praise Google for every decision they make. Also, SD cards were not cut due to costs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrex, no one is spoiled. It's just no one but you is willing to praise Google for every decision they make. Also, SD cards were not cut due to costs.

Oh? You're a hardware engineer and you work at Google? You know the process and the costs?

wilflare

Chrome is usually the worst browser with regards to battery life.

I suggest AOSP browser. Depending on your device it can be installed without root.

hmm guess I'll stick to Dolphin for now.. and stop messing around with my phone and enjoy it for what it is

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Oh? You're a hardware engineer and you work at Google? You know the process and the costs?
Every interview with the Android team and SD cards clearly indicates they were cut because they're confusing. Not due to costs. I've never even heard of that until you decided to make it up right now.

Bboy AJ

OK but that doesn't make it a reason.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
sd cards suck

I will never in my life understand this opinion. My 64gb sd card, which I paid $42 for, is amazing. The only reason i can see hating sd cards is if you are Apple and make $100 off every additional 16-32gb memory you sell.

OK but that doesn't make it a reason.
An SD card slot costs more than not having one. The reason low end phones have one is because it costs less to use a low capacity NAND and a SD card slot than us a high capacity NAND without one. High end phones will have a high capacity NAND so some manufacturers realize savings by excluding an SD card slot.

Toki767

I don't mind not having an SD card slot but at least provide more than 8GB of storage. Flash memory is dirt cheap nowadays.

Talon

There's a lot of factors but that's certainly one. I don't doubt that Google had to make a lot of decisions in order to get the price down (like no SD card and 8mp camera.) The fact it's basically a G2 except for three things is mind bogglingly to me.

Man, people are so fucking spoiled. This is going to be the best phone of the year at a price that's 50%-70% of the competition.
Andrex is excited for a Google product. News at 11.

Bboy AJ

I wish I could use my phone with Battlefield 4 already. Customizing kits is such a pain. There's just so much.

Which Android bros are playing with me on ps4?

Is it really that bad**? I wouldn't know from these reviews whose biggest complaints are that it's expensive, only works with Galaxy devices and that Samsung didnt wait until Apple released an imaginary iWatch to copy it (as though an Apple watch wouldnt be expensive or only work with iOS devices).

**Yes, it's bad.
Yeah, and they also totally ignore Sony and Moto watches and act like Samsung was first...

Right now, the S Watch only works with the Note 3 and Note 10.1. It's stupid to launch this without supporting the S3 or, hell, even the S4.
Well they could delay the watch or the Note 3...

I wish I could use my phone with Battlefield 4 already. Customizing kits is such a pain. There's just so much.

Which Android bros are playing with me on ps4?
i'll be getting a ps4 and BF4 but I rarely ever join the gaf threads, I'm one of those loners who just joins random games and plays and dominates and does all the work capturing flags myself :p

But I might join up. I'll see when it's out.

mturco

Yep. I'm not looking forward to inevitable outrage when (a) it costs more than $350 or (b) it isn't spec for spec the best phone on the market. People want it to be bar none the best phone available while still being ridiculously cheap. People need to realize that at $350, the Nexus 4 cost literally half the price of its competition and gave up very little to do so. The camera and battery life weren't great, but you're getting an otherwise top tier phone for half the price. That's insane.

The fact that this thing potentially has a SD800 in it is incredible and I don't think people realize it.

Groof

I can't wait for 3 months after the N5 launch where everyone will call it an outdated piece of shit and completely disregard it.

Bboy AJ

I can't wait for 3 months after the N5 launch where everyone will call it an outdated piece of shit and completely disregard it.

Andrex still won't have one by then.

mturco

People that do this are missing the point anyway. Nexus devices are 100% about the software and not the hardware. Samsung wins the spec war seemingly every year. The reason to buy a Nexus is to run stock Android. The end. If you don't value that, it's a much harder argument to make (unless you're on a prepaid plan in which case it's a no brainer).

Cipherr

You aren't being reasonable here. Except about the SD Cards, fuck them for removing that. But the battery thing you are going way overboard on. He has a point, the phone is 350$+ cheaper, there will be concessions made, and 2300 mAh is not 'atrocious' in any manner at all. Implying that it is just makes you look like the "bottomless well of wanting" these companies already think consumers are.

That's a false equivalence. 700 mAh doesn't make the phone double the price.

No it doesn't, but that doesn't mean what you seem to THINK it means. It doesn't mean they are ripping you off by not adding 700 mAh, it means they are eating costs on cpu and other components to maintain that price.

Its kinda of crazy how close to flagship specs these Nexus phones have gotten, and now a few mAh on the battery is the end of the world, when you know damn well if they matched the G2 in every spec and charged $700 you would be howling in disappointment.

Yep. I'm not looking forward to inevitable outrage when (a) it costs more than $350 or (b) it isn't spec for spec the best phone on the market.

Yeah, I don't know when this started, but that somehow has become some peoples expectation.... That it be the best specced device on the market, AND be vanilla android AND be a fraction of the cost of every other phone on the market. Some of the earlier Nexus phones were lower specced comparatively for their time, yet costed more. It seems the closer they get to flagship specs at a super low cost, the more disappointed people get. Shits getting a little nuts.

I realize this is probably only a discussion that would ever happen on an enthusiast board though, no average consumer would see a device that capable, at that price and scream bloody murder.

Groof

What is your avatar from?
Ace Attorney series.

People that do this are missing the point anyway. Nexus devices are 100% about the software and not the hardware. Samsung wins the spec war seemingly every year. The reason to buy a Nexus is to run stock Android. The end. If you don't value that, it's a much harder argument to make (unless you're on a prepaid plan in which case it's a no brainer).

Exactly. But the bigger problem is, the N4 was, as many people have stated, a top speced device for almost half the price of any similar phone at the time. If they will do the same with the N5, then it's just silly of people to complain. But it's inevitable. People will complain. People will hate it for whatever reason. People will disregard it and call it a cheap low speced piece of shit some time down the line.

Andrex still won't have one by then.

You don't need to own or use a product to be a shill for it, as long as you support the company behind it. At least that's what the gaming side taught me.

Exactly. But the bigger problem is, the N4 was, as many people have stated, a top speced device for almost half the price of any similar phone at the time. If they will do the same with the N5, then it's just silly of people to complain. But it's inevitable. People will complain. People will hate it for whatever reason. People will disregard it and call it a cheap low speced piece of shit some time down the line.

I thought the biggest problem people had with the N4 was the seemingly low-quality hardware and not the specs?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The N4 hardware was great. Well assembled and premium feeling. The problem was the glass back, which is a different category of oversight.

I find that hard to swallow considering the issue of note right now seems to be outrage that this phone will have a larger battery than the N4...

I'm not sure if I read that right, but wasn't that because the battery is weaker than the one in the phone it's based on? Some in here were hyped for the G2, because they thought the N5 would be the same phone with a button arrangement that makes sense and stock Android and not a lesser version. I guess that's where the disappointment is coming from. Not that it's warranted, though.

The N4 hardware was great. Well assembled and premium feeling. The problem was the glass back, which is a different category of oversight.

Again, I didn't follow the launch completely, but weren't there some other hardware issues including some weak availability months after launch? I remember that some people on GAF had to send the phone in several times. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

mturco

It's really like the iPhone at this point in that the specs are always respectable and very good (but rarely the best) and it doesn't matter because it's about the software experience. That's how I see it anyway.

I thought the biggest problem people had with the N4 was the seemingly low-quality hardware and not the specs?
No the biggest problem with the Nexus 4 was the fact that it didn't have LTE. I remember all of the reviews essentially saying "this would be the best phone on the market right now if it had LTE."

Bboy AJ

You aren't being reasonable here. Except about the SD Cards, fuck them for removing that. But the battery thing you are going way overboard on. He has a point, the phone is 350$+ cheaper, there will be concessions made, and 2300 mAh is not 'atrocious' in any manner at all. Implying that it is just makes you look like the "bottomless well of wanting" these companies already think consumers are.

No it doesn't, but that doesn't mean what you seem to THINK it means. It doesn't mean they are ripping you off by not adding 700 mAh, it means they are eating costs on cpu and other components to maintain that price.

Its kinda of crazy how close to flagship specs these Nexus phones have gotten, and now a few mAh on the battery is the end of the world, when you know damn well if they matched the G2 in every spec and charged $700 you would be howling in disappointment.

Yeah, I don't know when this started, but that somehow has become some peoples expectation.... That it be the best specced device on the market, AND be vanilla android AND be a fraction of the cost of every other phone on the market. Some of the earlier Nexus phones were lower specced comparatively for their time, yet costed more. It seems the closer they get to flagship specs at a super low cost, the more disappointed people get. Shits getting a little nuts.
Your post annoyed me so much that I went on my desktop just to respond to it. Why are you so quick to be complacent? I don't understand this.

First, I'm always the one harping about the N4's price. When the One/S4 released and everyone else had revisionist history about the N4's top of the line hardware, price, etc., I'm always posting about the history. You can look at my past posts, to include the N4's launch and my excitement about the price. Game changer.

Next, I never said 'atrocious.' And who said 700 mAh will double the cost of the phone? Come on, that's ridiculous. You guys are making false conclusions. Sure, Google will cut costs somewhere. But instead of cutting costs, I'd rather have a $400 phone that has a beast battery so I can be done looking for an ultimate phone. I bought the Nexus One day one, no problem. $350 price is awesome and the best feature of the phone but I can pay more to be completely satisfied. Heck, raise the price. It'll just make my N4's resale value even higher.

Here's the short and the long of it. What are the shortcomings of the N4? No LTE, weak battery, mediocre camera. From where I'm standing, only LTE has been solved. Battery is still mediocre (specced) and the jury is still out on the camera. Maybe the battery will be awesome with software optimizations. Great. But 3000 mAh would be better, no question. If that were to cost $50 more, so be it. Better than fatwallet losing their shit over a $300 phone they only care about because of the price.

Hey man, I bought a phone from you, you of all people should know I do in fact buy phones.

<3 Andrex

Groof

Exactly. And the glass back has held up really well for me at least. As of late I've been hearing some snapping noises when I press it hard though. Probably because I've dropped it a couple of times.

Bboy AJ

Again, I didn't follow the launch completely, but weren't there some other hardware issues including some weak availability months after launch? I remember that some people on GAF had to send the phone in several times. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Mostly Liquidus sending it in 30 times. I've sent mine in once, though. It had a strange push to the bottom of the phone.

Exactly. And the glass back has held up really well for me at least. As of late I've been hearing some snapping noises when I press it hard though. Probably because I've dropped it a couple of times.
I like the way my N4 is built. I think it feels great, has a nice heft, and I do like the glass back. I thought I'd hate the N5's plastic back, and I did from the first pics, but the latest ones look sharp. I still prefer the glass, though.

Groof

I like the way my N4 is built. I think it feels great, has a nice heft, and I do like the glass back. I thought I'd hate the N5's plastic back, and I did from the first pics, but the latest ones look sharp. I still prefer the glass, though.

Yeah man, I agree. Weight feels well distributed, doesn't feel too flimsy or too heavy. It's a nice thickness that sits well in your hand, the soft touch borders around it are a godsend for handleability and grip and also feels great in hand. The curved edges of the screen for easier swiping from the sides also seems like such a genius thing. The reflective etching on the back is also a real nice touch.
I could go on and on. I really like the N4, which is probably why I feel like I can actually use it for 2 full years.

mturco

Here's the short and the long of it. What are the shortcomings of the N4? No LTE, weak battery, mediocre camera. From where I'm standing, only LTE has been solved. Battery is still mediocre (specced) and the jury is still out on the camera. Maybe the battery will be awesome with software optimizations. Great. But 3000 mAh would be better, no question. If that were to cost $50 more, so be it. Better than fatwallet losing their shit over a $300 phone they only care about because of the price.

Actually the jury is still out on everything seeing as it hasn't even been announced let alone reviewed. We have no idea how good the camera or battery life will be because we've seen time and time again that you can't judge them based on specs. The iPhone is a great example. On paper it should have a decent camera and terrible battery life. Instead, it has an amazing camera and generally pretty good battery life.

As for putting in a bigger battery, I think it's more of a space issue than a cost issue. All of the phones with bigger batteries are significantly larger than the Nexus 5, so there's more space to fit a bigger battery. It really is that simple.

Bboy AJ

Actually the jury is still out on everything seeing as it hasn't even been announced let alone reviewed. We have no idea how good the camera or battery life will be because we've seen time and time again that you can't judge them based on specs. The iPhone is a great example. On paper it should have a decent camera and terrible battery life. Instead, it has an amazing camera and generally pretty good battery life.

As for putting in a bigger battery, I think it's more of a space issue than a cost issue. All of the phones with bigger batteries are significantly larger than the Nexus 5, so there's more space to fit a bigger battery. It really is that simple.

I conceded the jury still being out on the camera. And I conceded that software optimizations could help the battery life. That would be great. But at the end of the day, a bigger battery means more battery life.

I hope the camera is improved via software. I thought there was an issue with Nexus cameras, though, due to manufacturers not wanting to put their code out? As a result, Google can't really optimize the software on them. Thus mediocre results. Am I dreaming or is this actually a thing? I hope Google gets around this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom