• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturco

I've had zero battery problems with my ASOP One. If this has a bigger battery than the One i have no issues
Yeah I'm pretty impressed by how decent the battery life is. If the N5 is equal or better I'm happy.

I conceded the jury still being out on the camera. And I conceded that software optimizations could help the battery life. That would be great. But at the end of the day, a bigger battery means more battery life.

I hope the camera is improved via software. I thought there was an issue with Nexus cameras, though, due to manufacturers not wanting to put their code out? As a result, Google can't really optimize the software on them. Thus mediocre results. Am I dreaming or is this actually a thing? I hope Google gets around this issue.
Yeah that was/is a thing. The manufacturer has proprietary camera code and doesn't want it to be open sourced for obvious reasons so Nexus cameras are never as good as the phones they're based off. I really hope they do something about this because camera performance is like half software (again, see the iPhone).

hmm guess I'll stick to Dolphin for now.. and stop messing around with my phone and enjoy it for what it is
I'm using Next browser on my GN3, and went from 10% each hour to 5% each hour of battery drop. Right now, I'm at 58% with 9.5hrs of battery life used. I probably could go until tomorrow morning without charging, but obviously I won't. So far, coming from a Note 1, battery life is AWESOME! And the Next browser is ultra fast and has a lot of extensions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seeing how the N5 comes with image stabilization, Google would have to screw up the software really badly to ruin that camera.

Android 4.4 KitKat contains only a massive suite of camera enhancements, BELIEVE.

Yeah that was/is a thing. The manufacturer has proprietary camera code and doesn't want it to be open sourced for obvious reasons so Nexus cameras are never as good as the phones they're based off. I really hope they do something about this because camera performance is like half software (again, see the iPhone).

I think this was debunked a while ago. The Nexus images don't contain 100% open source code.

Cipherr

Your post annoyed me so much that I went on my desktop just to respond to it. Why are you so quick to be complacent?

I'm not being complacent, being complacent would be paying twice the price for a G2 and just living with the inferior software, wishing upon a star for timely updates and signing a contract with some carrier for two years. Looking for an alternative at a reasonable cost/value it the exact opposite of complacency.

And for the love of god stop defaulting out of debates by trying to paint anyone that sees something differently as 'kissing ass' a 'corporate apologist' or 'complacent'. It makes a simple debate into some ridiculous holy war that convinces absolutely noone.

I conceded the jury still being out on the camera. And I conceded that software optimizations could help the battery life. That would be great. But at the end of the day, a bigger battery means more battery life.

IMO you should have just led with that. Your argument seems to boil down to "Its possible for the battery to be bigger". If thats your beef then fine, because even at 3000 the battery COULD still be bigger, but arguing possibilities versus whats likely and reasonable is really of no interest to me. Everyone has a dream device, mines would have an SD slot.

What I was mainly talking about was calling a phone with a larger battery than the N4 mediocre, when its not released, when the One gets great battery life with the same size, and when we have zero idea what software will do with the battery. Its premature all around.

But even worse is using that premature conclusion to springboard into calling anyone who dares wait for more info as complacent and "willing to praise google" for whatever.

Threi

notag
I can't wait for 3 months after the N5 launch where everyone will call it an outdated piece of shit and completely disregard it.
Yup. Even better when samsung comes out with a new phone that completely outclasses it in specs yet runs slower.

wilflare

I'm using Next browser on my GN3, and went from 10% each hour to 5% each hour of battery drop. Right now, I'm at 58% with 9.5hrs of battery life used. I probably could go until tomorrow morning without charging, but obviously I won't. So far, coming from a Note 1, battery life is AWESOME! And the Next browser is ultra fast and has a lot of extensions.

looks interesting! hmm. any Dark Theme or Fullscreen mode

Groof

Yup. Even better when samsung comes out with a new phone that completely outclasses it in specs yet runs slower.

Seriously. How do people not see it? And it's always in really random spots too, where a phone with specs like that shouldn't hitch ever. Ever.

mturco

I'm still surprised by how much people care about SD card slots. I mean I get that it's a nice option to have and it's a cheap way to extend storage, but how do people not understand Google's reason for not having them? Not only are SD cards insanely slower than NAND, managing multiple filesystems on a phone is a nightmare. It gets even worse when you start letting users install apps to the SD card and then they plug it into a computer to charge it and suddenly all of those apps are inaccessible because the SD card is now hosted by the PC as removable storage. What if the user decided to move their launcher app to the SD card? Now they can't even access their homescreen and they have no idea why. It's just a mess and I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with it.

That said, 8GB on the N4 is ridiculously low, especially considering how cheap it is to add NAND. I mean at least they're not charging $100 to double the storage, but still. 16GB should have been the lower end size and 32GB should be the lower end size for the N5.

Cipherr

I'm still surprised by how much people care about SD card slots. I mean I get that it's a nice option to have and it's a cheap way to extend storage, but how do people not understand Google's reason for not having them? Not only are SD cards insanely slower than NAND, managing multiple filesystems on a phone is a nightmare. It gets even worse when you start letting users install apps to the SD card and then they plug it into a computer to charge it and suddenly all of those apps are inaccessible because the SD card is now hosted by the PC as removable storage. What if the user decided to move their launcher app to the SD card? Now they can't even access their homescreen and they have no idea why. It's just a mess and I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with it.

I want all my music locally stored on my phones, and full seasons of television shows locally stored on my tablets. Your argument is invalid.

:D

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hi guys, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I've got a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 here, the other half won it a number of months ago but never used it, at which point I started to just for general browsing, but of course it is annoyingly limited. I side loaded Chrome etc. but it just feels odd to need to do this on the device.

So, I've read you can install Android on the device replacing Amazons Kindle OS with stock Android. I'm generally an iOS guy so haven't a clue where to start, does anyone know of any good guides to do this step by step with explanations of everything as I go?

Cheers.

mturco

I want all my music locally stored on my phones, and full seasons of television shows locally stored on my tablets. Your argument is invalid.

:D

Haha yeah there's always one guy trying to keep 4 movies on his phone at any given time. I get having music stored locally though. For TV and movies, though, Plex is amazing. It even lets you sync stuff to your phone for offline viewing (although this might be a paid feature I forgot).

tr4656

Haha yeah there's always one guy trying to keep 4 movies on his phone at any given time. I get having music stored locally though. For TV and movies, though, Plex is amazing. It even lets you sync stuff to your phone for offline viewing (although this might be a paid feature I forgot).

Music can always be stored on Google Music as well. I can understand if you want FLAC + portable DAC but that shouldn't matter for most people.

Yeah, I don't know when this started, but that somehow has become some peoples expectation.... That it be the best specced device on the market, AND be vanilla android AND be a fraction of the cost of every other phone on the market. Some of the earlier Nexus phones were lower specced comparatively for their time, yet costed more. It seems the closer they get to flagship specs at a super low cost, the more disappointed people get. Shits getting a little nuts.

I realize this is probably only a discussion that would ever happen on an enthusiast board though, no average consumer would see a device that capable, at that price and scream bloody murder.
And even if all of those things came true, people would still complain because it's not on Verizon.

Zapages

Any folks how are Nexus devices in terms of battery life and crashes?

My Galaxy S2 is crashing even after the factory reset. :(

mturco

Music can always be stored on Google Music as well. I can understand if you want FLAC + portable DAC but that shouldn't matter for most people.
Yeah I just use Google Music for everything but it sucks when you don't have service for some reason. Caching everything for offline listening kind of defeats the purpose too.

Battery life has been pretty bad until recently (Nexus 7 2013 is pretty good but everything else has been bad to average). The Nexus 5 should have pretty good battery life, though. They're always very stable too.

SHIT

Banned
call me butt fucking crazy but I tested a moto x and note 3
and the moto x appeared smoother to me : /

what the the fuck is going on ?!

tr4656

Most of the time it's pretty terrible although recent devices have gotten a lot better. My Galaxy Nexus, for example, has really dismal battery life, while the 2013 Nexus 7 is good to decent. Nexus 5 looks to be good but not the best.

looks interesting! hmm. any Dark Theme or Fullscreen mode

It has full screen mode (actually, a swipe to the left gives you the extensions screen, which have QUITE a lot of options). I didnt see any themeing in the app itself. And just for reference:

msSMYjX.png

gcubed

call me butt fucking crazy but I tested a moto x and note 3
and the moto x appeared smoother to me : /

what the the fuck is going on ?!

My friend just got a moto x with the Verizon "mistake" so finally got a chance to play with it.

It feels much nicer in my hands then my One (I think the one, while it looks pretty, has sharp edges that bother me... And I hate the power button placement). It's also a perfect size.

I don't notice any difference in smoothness between it and the GPE One either... The only thing that's a glaring difference is the screen. Damn nice phone, Google could have really disrupted the market if they priced it appropriately.

manual supposedly leaked

specs:

4.95-inch 1080p IPS LCD
Snapdragon 800 quad-core CPU (MSM8947) at 2.3GHz
2GB RAM
32GB storage
Wireless charging
8MP rear camera with OIS; 1.3MP front camera
2300mAh battery
Accelerometer; ambient light sensor; Compass; Gyroscope; Proximity; Pressure sensors
HDMI out via Slimport
Notification LED
NFC; Bluetooth 3 (?); A-GPS; 802.11 b/g/n wifi

manual supposedly leaked

specs:

4.95-inch 1080p IPS LCD
2GB RAM
32GB storage
Wireless charging
2300mAh battery
Accelerometer; ambient light sensor; Compass; Gyroscope; Proximity; Pressure sensors
HDMI out via Slimport
Notification LED

Welcome to yesterday.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
YouTube has been a pain for me, too. Not sure why.

thespot84

manual supposedly leaked

specs:

4.95-inch 1080p IPS LCD
2GB RAM
32GB storage
Wireless charging
2300mAh battery
HDMI out via Slimport
Notification LED

is the screen on the G2 IPS?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Thanks to this thread, I'm now trying the Next Browser and I am loving it. I mostly used the stock browser or Dolphin, but this one is really slick and fast too. Gonna test it out tomorrow to see if it's not a battery hog.

tr4656

Thanks to this thread, I'm now trying the Next Browser and I am loving it. I mostly used the stock browser or Dolphin, but this one is really slick and fast too. Gonna test it out tomorrow to see if it's not a battery hog.

I always felt Firefox is the best browser. Any reason NextBrowser is good?

tino

Banned

I gave it a try the feature sets are very minimal. Going from 4.0 to 4.1 was a real bummer that I had to give up ICSBowser+. Chrome is a bad forum bowser.

I tried a bunch and settled on Maxthon.

rc213

Trying out Next Browser but it won't show my chrome bookmarks at all. The battery saving sounds awesome hopefully I can figure this out.

wilflare

Trying out Next Browser but it won't show my chrome bookmarks at all. The battery saving sounds awesome hopefully I can figure this out.

any reviews on the battery saving?
I switched from Dolphin to Chrome (beta) and I'm liking it
(at least it doesn't run on boot/in the background)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been using Circa. Really great news app.

@androidpolice: [New App] Circa News Reader Lands In The Play Store, Offers Bite-Sized News That's Tailored To Mobile Devices http://andp.lc/18UMBw3

Eanan

To people here from Ireland/United Kingdom, since our maps usually get lumped in together; what app do you use for your driving navigation? Im looking for a good app that is similar to Nokia drive in that it has offline map storage, is free and has turn by turn nav. Im a bit overwhelmed by the amount of navigation apps on the play store and dont have the time to test out 15-20 apps.

Thanks in advance.

kinggroin

Banned
Rayman Jungle Run looks redonkulously good on the new N7. Dem graphics @1080p on small screen!!!

but its not 1080p. its upscaled. you'd be hard pressed to find native 1080p games on consoles, let alone a much weaker mobile device.

/Numble

Yes, I'm still raw from that exchange

Maloney

To people here from Ireland/United Kingdom, since our maps usually get lumped in together; what app do you use for your driving navigation? Im looking for a good app that is similar to Nokia drive in that it has offline map storage, is free and has turn by turn nav. Im a bit overwhelmed by the amount of navigation apps on the play store and dont have the time to test out 15-20 apps.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't used Nokia Drive so not too sure if this is relevant, but I installed Sygic, and it stores the maps offline. I paid around £30 for Western Europe. The maps are pretty up to date and it shows fixed speed cameras.

I must point out that I haven't tried any other app as I'm happy with Sygic's offering.

Nicktendo86

I am not very good with technical stuff at all, does anyone know if that leaked service manual thing shows that the N5 will share the same fancy GRAM as the G2? I think that is what helps with screen on battery life so much with the G2 and would help a lot with the disappointment of a 2300mah battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom