• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atruvius

I just got the Xperia ZR and have been exploring it for 30 minutes and am now downloading a system update for it. There's a lot tinker around! The phone is a lot bigger than I thought it, I can't really use it one handed, but maybe I'll learn.

What are the most useful apps for Android, Swype etc.?

tino

Banned
Really liking Chrome (Beta) thus far and surfing MOBILE GAF seems pretty pleasant thus far. Why is Chrome bad for forums?

On some other forums the font display is completely broken. Large size for first post and tiny size for the rest. And if there is a large image, text in that post is even smaller.

Of course GAF looks good. Mobile GAF looks good on every browser.

It's not :( 30th is the rumour, appearntly the 14th is when the n5 gets certified or something which was the cause of the rumour/confusion.

I've not heard that. Link?

Certified for what exactly? That doesn't really make sense, since it's already been Bluetooth and WiFi certified, and it passed the FCC weeks ago.

kehs

Banned

Certified for what exactly? That doesn't really make sense, since it's already been Bluetooth and WiFi certified, and it passed the FCC weeks ago.

All of Google's products have to pass through an OHA certification to make sure it doesn't exceed any of the current products from the OEM partners. If it does, it goes back for final tweaks to tame it down. Its the reason a lot of unconfirmed delays always happen to nexus products. This is also part of the reason a majority of the OG people involved with android are jumping ship. The OHA is super pissed with the nexus project. Except for Asus since their making the same margins but with less overhead.

RJM77

It's not :( 30th is the rumour, appearntly the 14th is when the n5 gets certified or something which was the cause of the rumour/confusion.

They should do it earlier than the 30th. Hype up the kit kat tie in early enough for people to go buy kit kats to hand out at halloween.

All of Google's products have to pass through an OHA certification to make sure it doesn't exceed any of the current products from the OEM partners. If it does, it goes back for final tweaks to tame it down. Its the reason a lot of unconfirmed delays always happen to nexus products. This is also part of the reason a majority of the OG people involved with android are jumping ship. The OHA is super pissed with the nexus project. Except for Asus since their making the same margins but with less overhead.

I've followed Android for years, since before the G1 launch, and I've never heard of this strict OHA certification and/or the associated drama with it. The only drama that comes to mind is when Google stopped Acer from launching their OS.

There is an Android compatibility test, so maybe, you're confusing it with that. I've also never heard of the OHA being the reason Nexii devices get delayed or nerfed. I tried Googling it, but I came up short. Do you have a link? That would explain a lot, if true.

What coppy says lol, its an acceptance date mentioned by Android police's Artem.
https://plus.google.com/107797272029781254158/posts/1HahekQTUQX

Technical Certification is when carriers certify a device to work on their network. While carriers are part of the OHA, this certification is done for all devices -- iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone. So, it's not quite what Coppy said.

Still, your point still stands. It seems the 14th might just be when T-Mobile and other carriers are expecting to certify the device.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Really liking Chrome (Beta) thus far and surfing MOBILE GAF seems pretty pleasant thus far. Why is Chrome bad for forums?

I'm on the Chrome Beta channel as my main browser. I got no problems with it. Hell IDK what happened, but I randomly ran a sunspider test last night and finally cracked the 1000 barrier on my Nexus 7 with Chrome beta.

anyone using Press for Android or feedly?
any recommendations?

I use feedly on my phone/tablet/pc. Works great for me, and I see no reason to switch to Press especially since Press isn't free. I have similar feelings about Antennapod and Pocketcasts.

So... Saw the Note 3 just now in the Sprint store and ugh... Sprint has an obnoxious new 4G LTE logo in the notification bar!?

The back feels nice, screen looks great, phone feels super light and super fast.

Verizon

SimleuqiR

9 hours on the Nexus 5.

Screen-Shot-2013-10-07-at-10.13.18-AM.png

Is WCDMA that innificiant.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nearly half the battery life? Downgrade? I don't believe that chart.

mantidor

Hmmm did something happened recently with Android or its apps? I made no change at all and the battery is draining up like crazy, and by crazy I mean not even plugged makes it go up.

I have a galaxy s4, but I haven't updated anything significant, battery app says "wakelock" is consuming the most... how? this is all kinds of insane.

edit: I'm listening to music, could it be that? first it was with poweramp which appear to be eating battery like crazy, but I uninstalled it and now is the same problem with google music.

thespot84

Hmmm did something happened recently with Android or its apps? I made no change at all and the battery is draining up like crazy, and by crazy I mean not even plugged makes it go up.

I have a galaxy s4, but I haven't updated anything significant, battery app says "wakelock" is consuming the most... how? this is all kinds of insane.

edit: I'm listening to music, could it be that? first it was with poweramp which appear to be eating battery like crazy, but I uninstalled it and now is the same problem with google music.

wake lock is something that apps have to keep the system awake, ie all apps have one. You have to find out WHICH wakelock is causing the problem.

Nearly half the battery life? Downgrade? I don't believe that chart.

Yeah, that service manual has a lot of weird typos. That talk time is definitely wrong.

So you're agreeing? WCDMA is 50% efficient? 3/4 of 25hrs is 19.75 hours.....

No. WCDMA = GSM. It's old tech. The service manual is riddled with typos, and the 9 hours of talk time makes absolutely no sense considering the G2's amazing talk time, which is what Faceless was trying to point out.

mantidor

wake lock is something that apps have to keep the system awake, ie all apps have one. You have to find out WHICH wakelock is causing the problem.

Yeah it seems its a hardware problem, the thing isn't charging even when turned off, it seems the battery crapped on me, uurgghh I swear, this is my last Samsung phone ever. Let's see if the guarantee process isn't a pain in the ass like last time.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom