• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr4656

I still want Voice integration. I don't use SMS since I decided not to get scammed anymore. Voice would be awesome.

I wonder how the transition will work for the public. Do they see their Messages app just disappear? How would they know the SMS app is now integrated into Hangouts? Assuming an OTA 4.4 update to a Nexus 4.

They would probably put it where it their Messages app would be or some sort of alert to let people know.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I still want Voice integration. I don't use SMS since I decided not to get scammed anymore. Voice would be awesome.

I wonder how the transition will work for the public. Do they see their Messages app just disappear? How would they know the SMS app is now integrated into Hangouts? Assuming an OTA 4.4 update to a Nexus 4.

What do you mean by "voice integration"? Aside from sending SMS it's pretty integrated... calling people on the Chrome extension uses my Google Voice number, and I imagine receiving texts to your Voice number will now send them to Hangouts after this update... And when you send SMS/MMS with the update, it'll use your Voice number...

leave the old Messaging icon around for 1.3, which just opens Hangouts, and then it disappears in 1.4 or 1.5

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
leave the old Messaging icon around for 1.3, which just opens Hangouts, and then it disappears in 1.4 or 1.5

If it's anything like Chrome, which replaced the stock browser starting with the original Nexus 7 (I think?), the stock messaging app will still probably be available for everyone that currently has it installed, but new Nexus devices will have it removed and you'll have to use Hangouts (or sideload Messenger.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What do you mean by "voice integration"? Aside from sending SMS it's pretty integrated... calling people on the Chrome extension uses my Google Voice number, and I imagine receiving texts to your Voice number will now send them to Hangouts after this update... And when you send SMS/MMS with the update, it'll use your Voice number...
Will it use data Voice SMS or actual SMS from my Voice number? That's my concern. I don't want any SMS in my life. Hopefully you're right in that Google kills the Voice app with this update.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think the Voice app and service will stick around a while longer, and Google will funnel people through it to get their own numbers and set up visual voicemail and caller blocking, etc., but yeah, eventually I think even those features will be integrated.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Eventually, yes. Now? I don't think so. But we'll see.

Kit Kat conference invites sent out today? Let's hope so. What day of the week were invites sent out in the past? It's either this week or next.

Atruvius

Wanted to download Google Keyboard but couldn't find it in the Play Store. Had to use Google to get to it's Play Store page. "This item isn't available in your country" Why would you do this, Google, why?

kehs

Banned
You must live in canada, they haven't figured out how to express bagged milk in a manner that anyone could understand.

Groof

Wanted to download Google Keyboard but couldn't find it in the Play Store. Had to use Google to get to it's Play Store page. "This item isn't available in your country" Why would you do this, Google, why?

It's still only available for English speaking countries. I pushed it down from the web store instead, worked like a charm!

Atruvius

It's still only available for English speaking countries. I pushed it down from the web store instead, worked like a charm!

Tried that on my computer but unofortunately it didn't work either. Guess I have to buy either Swype or Swiftkey or wait until they make it available for the umlaut people.

CoilShot

I'm in the process of getting a new phone and I've been using a iPhone 5 and before that a
Samsung galaxy note 2. I was thinking about getting a note 3 but after reading a lot of comments on news sites and forums I see this LG G2 in the mix now. Why is everyone pretty much recommending the LG G2 over the note 3 or am I missing something?

Groof

Tried that on my computer but unofortunately it didn't work either. Guess I have to buy either Swype or Swiftkey or wait until they make it available for the umlaut people.

Did you even try going into its page? That's how I did it, unless something has changed.
Don't know what's taking them so long though, it still supports all languages it used to.

Atruvius

Did you even try going into its page? That's how I did it, unless something has changed.
Don't know what's taking them so long though, it still supports all languages it used to.

Yeah. I pressed "Install" then there's a listbox which says "No eligible devices for app install".

Eventually, yes. Now? I don't think so. But we'll see.

Kit Kat conference invites sent out today? Let's hope so. What day of the week were invites sent out in the past? It's either this week or next.

Nexus 7 (2013) invites sent Wednesday, conference one week later

Nexus 4 invites sent out Wednesday, conference 11 days later

Invites tomorrow (9th), conference on the 16th, launch two weeks later on 30th.....???

Groof

Yeah. I pressed "Install" then there's a listbox which says "No eligible devices for app install".

Well, guess they fixed that then. If you're willing to go through the trouble, your next best bet is finding the apk somewhere and sideload it on your device.

Nicktendo86

Well, guess they fixed that then. If you're willing to go through the trouble, your next best bet is finding the apk somewhere and sideload it on your device.
Yeah I am sure android police will have it on their archives somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard to find.
Edit: lol, well that's that solved then!

Nicktendo86

Eric Schmidt calls Android 'more secure than the iPhone'

I would have posted this as a new thread but judging by the ignorant comments in the verge comments, I don't think it would be a good idea. He is right, the iPhone has had many times more vulnerabilities than Android over the years and malware is pretty much a non issue. I mean that did that recent Google stat show, malware affected 0.001% of devices?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/7/4814422/eric-schmidt-says-android-is-more-secure-than-iphone

So is the downgraded Nexus 5 camera still going to be good?

I'm hoping the software update that boosted the Moto X's camera performance means that Google is getting their shit together on their camera software.

If my Nexus 4 had LTE and a better camera, I'd probably keep it around for another year. Since the Nexus 5 will fix the former (and hopefully the latter), I see myself keeping it for two.

tino

Banned
That would be amazing. I'd even pay 399 for 16gb+3000 battery. OEMs really should differentiate the higher tiers of phone models with other features beside storage space.

I call bullshit on this rumor. If they are charging 100 more, it need to be 64GB.

Blackhead

Redarse
I call bullshit on this rumor. If they are charging 100 more, it need to be 64GB.
Huh?
Google's recent trend has been 16GB, +$50 for 32GB, +$100 for 32GB with extra (LTE) on the tablet line.
It makes sense for +$100 for 32GB with extra (battery) on the phone line.

So is the doiPhone ed Nexus 5 camera still going to be good?

I'm hoping the software update that boosted the Moto X's camera performance means that Google is getting their shit together on their camera software.

If my Nexus 4 had LTE and a better camera, I'd probably keep it around for another year. Since the Nexus 5 will fix the former (and hopefully the latter), I see myself keeping it for two.

Nexus 4:
Sony IMX111PQ 1/4.0″ Exmor R BSI sensor

Nexus 5:
Sony IMX179 1/3.2" BSI + Optical Image Stabilization

The Nexus 5's camera is comparable to the iPhone 5 without OIS. With OIS, it should be even better.

mturco

Between that recent Moto X camera update and the HTC One's camera overexposing everything in postprocessing, I think we can safely say software is a huge part of the quality of the camera.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
COPPY
LLShC.gif

(chatting on Hangouts with him right now lol)

Nexus 4:
Sony IMX111PQ 1/4.0″ Exmor R BSI sensor

Nexus 5:
Sony IMX179 1/3.2" BSI + Optical Image Stabilization

The Nexus 5's camera is comparable to the iPhone 5 without OIS. With OIS, it should be even better.

Let's hope so.

At first, I was fine with the Nexus 4's camera, but it has becoming an increasingly large gripe I have with the phone - second to only the lackluster battery life.

Still love the phone, though. Buttery smooth as always.

Let's hope so.

At first, I was fine with the Nexus 4's camera, but it has becoming an increasingly large gripe I have with the phone - second to only the lackluster battery life.

Im actually pretty pleased with the battery life on the Nexus 4. I can usually get to about 14% with moderate/heavy use by the end of the workday.

Then again, my last two phones had a worse battery life so this is quite the upgrade.

tino

Banned
Let's hope so.

If the N5 pan out exactly like the rumor then I think google pretty much give up on competing on the high end.

Google's "Nexus Program" has been pretty confusing and constantly changing in the last 4 years. This is first time I think they settle down on a model.

If the N5 pan out exactly like the rumor then I think google pretty much give up on competing on the high end.

Google's "Nexus Program" has been pretty confusing and constantly changing in the last 4 years. This is first time I think they settle down on a model.

What? The Nexus 5 specs are high-end.

tino

Banned
Lol. Question: is the iPhone 5S a highend phone?

iPhone has always had class leading camera and soc (at least on the GPU side), and maybe screen.

Why do you think google can sell the phone for 350? They have to cut corners some how. Sorry to break the news to you.

mturco

iPhone has always had class leading camera and soc (at least on the GPU side), and maybe screen.

Why do you think google can sell the phone for 350? They have to cut corners some how. Sorry to break the news to you.

Ok well we have a Snapdragon 800 with an Adreno 330 GPU. Those are both class leading. The screen is 5" 1080p IPS which is now pretty standard so we won't know until we see it but the Nexus 7 2013 has excellent color reproduction, so there's reason to believe this will too. The camera is looking as good as the iPhone 5 but with OIS. The battery looks decent and we don't know what battery life to expect yet. So explain to me exactly what aspects are not high end?

And for the record, I'm not one of the people expecting it to cost $350. I'd love to be wrong but I'm thinking more $450.

Edit: Oh, and on top of all of this, it will inevitably be smoother than every Android flapship this year. Count on it.

wilflare

is there any browser that has a "reader" feature like Safari iOS?

it basically makes non-mobile website mobilized/formatted for easy reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom