• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twofold

Anyone else having wakelock issues with the latest whatsapp update? Or is it just me?

(Nexus 4 running stock).

QiBPAEB.png

MubezqA.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Android-GAF,

Those of you running custom ROMs on your device I wonder this. Do you always immediately update to the latest build as soon as it becomes available, or do you keep your current build?

Signed,
Brettison (md5sum=xfonh8tr)

My N4 is crazy. Only battery 'user' since the last full charge has been android os. No screen, no data, no wakelocks, nothing.

Anyone else having wakelock issues with the latest whatsapp update? Or is it just me?

(Nexus 4 running stock).
Good 'ol wakelocks. Don't have any with whatsapp but I kinda believe everyone has at least one wakelock issue on his phone, especially the Nexus line :/

Fatalah

So Android-GAF,

Those of you running custom ROMs on your device I wonder this. Do you always immediately update to the latest build as soon as it becomes available, or do you keep your current build?

Signed,

I usually wait for some user commentary before switching to the latest ROM. It usually takes about 2-3 days for enough feedback to be posted.

twofold

My N4 is crazy. Only battery 'user' since the last full charge has been android os. No screen, no data, no wakelocks, nothing.

Good 'ol wakelocks. Don't have any with whatsapp but I kinda believe everyone has at least one wakelock issue on his phone, especially the Nexus line :/

Yeah, it's super annoying. I really like Android, but bullshit like this really annoys me. I want my phone to work without my having to google random things and troubleshoot apps - is that really too much to ask for?

Groof

(Nexus 4 running stock).

Running stock on an N4 as well and I have no issues with Whatsapp. But like others say, there's always some wakelock going on. In a similar case, the messaging app LINE was doing the same thing since last night and just tore my battery up. Force closed that sucker and now all is fine.
For the time being.

Call me crazy but I don't think anyone should ever have to troubleshoot their phones and find out root causes for wakelocks. One of the worst things about Android and always makes me consider going back to iPhone. Too bad Apple are idiots and refuse to accept that no one wants to use their garbage ass stock apps and that people need a way to replace them. Ditto for inter-app sharing.

Also, it's sad that notifications are still a complete and utter mess on Android. It's like no apps behave the same way. Some apps will pause music while playing a notification, others will play over it. Even the same app (like Pocket Casts) will react differently to notifications from different apps. SMH.

jokkir

So Android-GAF,

Signed,

I update immediately since it's so easy to do so. Running Cyanogenmod + using CyanDelta to update makes everything a breeze. Though, there are some bad builds that happen once in a while and wish I didn't update but the CM team usually fixes it right away

thespot84

We've also seen "ok google now" in a video I think.

Also 7 phonemes (unless you're counting blends, like 'goo' is really 'guh' and 'oooo', in which case it's 6). I'd just short of guarantee that this is all phoneme based recognition, which works quite well when trying to match to a known word (called speech 'verification', rather than detection). Each additional phoneme in the phrase makes verification easier by a large margin. 7 phonemes may not be the hard limit, but it's in the ballpark.

Vanillalite

Pocket-Lint Article

HTC One Max 5.9-inch 1080p phablet reportedly coming in September

A source has told German phone site Mobile Geeks that the HTC One Max will be available in "early September" in order to duke it out directly with Samsung's latest device. The Note 3 is expected to be announced during a second Samsung Unveiled event just before IFA in Berlin at the beginning of September, so HTC could be looking to rain on the parade in that sense.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Unless your battery is draining rapidly, ignore your wake lock. People always want to tinker then complain about having to tinker. That Whatsapp one is an issue, though. Uninstall, reinstall.

As for notifications, yeah, go back to the iPhone with its robust notification system.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Running stock on an N4 as well and I have no issues with Whatsapp. But like others say, there's always some wakelock going on. In a similar case, the messaging app LINE was doing the same thing since last night and just tore my battery up. Force closed that sucker and now all is fine.
For the time being.

"Whatsapp"?
zWVbK.gif

Googy punishing you for not using Hangouts.
FuqnPhm.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what's the skinny on the Moto X phone? Not a top of the range, but a mid range phone? So S3 ballpark, not S4?

SimleuqiR

"Whatsapp"?
zWVbK.gif

Googy punishing you for not using Hangouts.
FuqnPhm.gif

Does Hangouts have the ability to know who from your contacts (via a phone# ) also has Hangouts installed?

I like the ability to go through my contacts and see who already has Whatsapp installed. I just more likely that they will reply through it than Hangouts. SMS integration is a must. I still get faster responses through SMS than I do through Hangouts. Heck, sometimes I don't get any response through Hangouts and have to send text messages instead.

It's hard to change people's habits...I just don't see Hangouts picking up any steam.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hangouts does not have that ability to indicate yet. But if someone has not set up Hangouts, I believe they get emails.

But you must keep in mind that SMS and GVoice integration is coming to Hangouts, and it will be an all in one app eventually. So whether you send a text, a hangout message or a voicemail, they will all come to one inbox.

gcubed

So what's the skinny on the Moto X phone? Not a top of the range, but a mid range phone? So S3 ballpark, not S4?

s3.5. Better processor, have to wait for actual reviews to see about the screen or camera

its a dual core s600 basically (has less ram throughput)

AndyD

aka andydumi
s3.5. Better processor, have to wait for actual reviews to see about the screen or camera

its a dual core s600 basically (has less ram throughput)

Not bad. My wife is due an upgrade, so maybe I will get her this and no contract (if reasonably priced) instead of an S3 for really cheap or an S4 for near $200.

Vanillalite

Yeah bitches! Just got my comcast letter telling me it's time to switch out my modem. I could do it all online, and they'll send me a new one!

This in theory should mean I'm moving to DOCIS 3.0 and get the boss speed boost. I should be going from like 25 down to 50 down with the upgrade! My landline internet is finally catching up to my LTE speeds I get minus the crappy cellphone ping! :p

PS: Upload finally hits double digits too! :D

A slightly less stylish version of the Xperia SP with 2GB RAM instead of 1GB. Will be priced similarly and run a similarly vanilla-ish version of Android.

Processor is no biggie at a low price. It's the dual core version of the S600 CPU which is nothing to scoff at but yeah quad woulda been nice.

Battery is all that matters. Everything else I'm sure will be solid. How is it possible that every single piece of this phone has leaked EXCEPT the size of the battery inside.

Processor is no biggie at a low price. It's the dual core version of the S600 CPU which is nothing to scoff at but yeah quad woulda been nice.

Battery is all that matters. Everything else I'm sure will be solid. How is it possible that every single piece of this phone has leaked EXCEPT the size of the battery inside.

FWIW I heard ~1800mAh, battery was sacrificed to make it thin but it's not info from my regular source.

Anyone know of good 10 inch tablets either on the market or coming soon.

My laptops USB ports gave up the ghost today and I reckon I will replace the entire laptop with a desktop and an android tablet.

Been looking at the nexus 10 and the xperia Z tablet. Any word on a nexus 10 refresh?

Vanillalite

Anyone know of good 10 inch tablets either on the market or coming soon.

My laptops USB ports gave up the ghost today and I reckon I will replace the entire laptop with a desktop and an android tablet.

Been looking at the nexus 10 and the xperia Z tablet. Any word on a nexus 10 refresh?

Get the Sony tablet of the two. The Nexus 10 supposedly has to many little problems that haven't been fixed via updates.

I'd also say to wait and see if we get a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 refresh. Then you'd also get the stylus support. Current model is around a year old though.

FWIW I heard ~1800mAh, battery was sacrificed to make it thin but it's not info from my regular source.
wtf that's shit and the phone doesn't even look thin to me in pics. Such motorola fail if that is true. Would it cost that much to put their 2500mah or 3000mah battery in it that they already used in last years phones?

tino

Banned
I look around for new One X price on ebay, they are around 300/350 depend on the memory. I expect nothing more from the Moto X.

I expect moto X to be no more than $249. Why can't they have the announcement already, the whole world already seen the phone and all the features lol.

There was one rumour that said it's a normal 2100mah battery or therabouts which definitely isn't bad but man is it just disappointing considering this is motorola's goddamn strength. Something they have that other makers haven't caught up to yet. And they don't put it in their next big phone lol.

We'll see though, 2500mah and up and I'm in day 1 (if the price is truly low). 3000mah and I'm there day -1 regardless of price. I reallly do love the size of the phone.

Maybe battery will be one of the customizations!!!!1111

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom