• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorBait

I feel your pain. Add to the fact, that I'm probably gonna jump from big red for this thing too, all the assorted fees of switching carriers are just racking up in my head. It hurts mane.
If you are thinking of going to AT&T, look into AIO Wireless. I just did a little reading on them yesterday and it sounds like their plans are pretty good deals.

this_guy

If you are thinking of going to AT&T, look into AIO Wireless. I just did a little reading on them yesterday and it sounds like their plans are pretty good deals.

I used them for a few months. They have good plans, but they don't have premium sms. Premium sms are those short code numbers for voting on American Idol, getting security texts from your bank, dual authentication with Gmail/Facebook, etc. This was a deal killer for me.

Greetings, Android Gaf :) I beg your pardon for being cavalier but I've just lost my phone, the new Huawei Ascend P6 looks awesome and I wanted to know if it was a safe bet ?
Moving up from ios to android. Light side, here I come.

Greetings, Android Gaf :) I beg your pardon for being cavalier but I've just lost my phone, the new Huawei Ascend P6 looks awesome and I wanted to know if it was a safe bet ?

there aren't going to be too many people here with experience with that device, but it had good reviews!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

I've read up on it and it seems to be a good device, actually. If you can, get some hands on time with it before you make the jump.

tino

Banned
Samsung why don't you put something actually useful like a better camera in the phone?

This is just nonsense! noise.

It looks like an iPhone. Hell even the software acts like iOS.

iavi

Wow. This is exactly what I was looking for. As long as they can port my # from Verizon, I'm sold. Thanks!

GOOGLE GIVE ME A RELEASE DATE. I"M SET.

there aren't going to be too many people here with experience with that device, but it had good reviews!

Indeed - with, it seems, maybe just a propensity to heat during use. It's the reason why I was a little worried... :/

I've read up on it and it seems to be a good device, actually. If you can, get some hands on time with it before you make the jump.

Yep, very good point (I'm not used to regularly change my phone); not sure I can find it in brick&mortar shops in my country, though.
Thanks !

Groof

Most experience I've had with one was in a store the other day. It felt pretty sturdy, but it's light as a feather, and that was with the huge security attachment that was on it. It was slightly too light for my tastes, because it felt like it was about to fly out of my hand at any second. As for software experience, in the short time I tried it it felt pretty snappy. But do note it was pretty short.
Either way, reviews seem to be good, so at least try it out first. Do note you'll get a heavily skinned version of Android. So who knows how performance will be down the line.

THRILLH0

Banned
Wow, fuck this chrome update. Why would you restrict tab swiping to the address bar so that I now have to drag down to display it before switching tabs?

What the hell was wrong with swiping from the edge of the screen?

ajpw

BWFJz58CMAAFdcY.png

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/387672198996963329

every time I see a galaxy phone it always looks so gingerbread

Wow, fuck this chrome update. Why would you restrict tab swiping to the address bar so that I now have to drag down to display it before switching tabs?

That's the reason I used Chrome over other browsers. That was back in beta though, so I've long switched over.

bjscott05

I agree. I'm not a fan of the new tab switching at all. Not to mention it is easier to reach anywhere on the side compared to just the top.

THRILLH0

Banned
That's the reason I used Chrome over other browsers. That was back in beta though, so I've long switched over.

It's infuriating. I understand the status bar swiping for people who can't quite get to the edge of their screen because of cases etc but why go out of their way to remove something?

Most experience I've had with one was in a store the other day. It felt pretty sturdy, but it's light as a feather, and that was with the huge security attachment that was on it. It was slightly too light for my tastes, because it felt like it was about to fly out of my hand at any second. As for software experience, in the short time I tried it it felt pretty snappy. But do note it was pretty short.
Either way, reviews seem to be good, so at least try it out first. Do note you'll get a heavily skinned version of Android. So who knows how performance will be down the line.

Okay, looks very, very good then. Thanks a lot for your impressions !

Eanan

Is anyone here using CMod 10.2 and franco.kernal nightlies? I just installed them both and am getting a weird orange, inverted colour on my phone. Anyone else getting the same?

tr4656

is there any browser that has a "reader" feature like Safari iOS?

it basically makes non-mobile website mobilized/formatted for easy reading

Firefox. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...+to+enable+Reader+Mode+in+Firefox+for+Android

Reviews seem pretty good, I would personally never touch any Huawei product though.

Is anyone here using CMod 10.2 and franco.kernal nightlies? I just installed them both and am getting a weird orange, inverted colour on my phone. Anyone else getting the same?

I have a Galaxy Nexus with franco.kernel nightly with Pacman and my colors are fine.

tr4656

Why that ?

My fundamental problem with them is potential backdoor (although I'm not safe from the NSA either but I'd rather not have someone else have it as well) and skepticism about customer support. Its pretty easy to get a Galaxy S/Note, iPhone, and the One, or something like an Nexus 7 replaced but I'm not sure about Huawei. If I wanted a Chinese phone, I'll get a Xiaomi.

Also, their skin is total shit.

Am I the only one using Play Games wrong? What's the point of this app? I added a bunch of friends who I know play games and have it enabled for say Clash of Clans but I don't see any activity anywhere. I don't see them listed under active players. I can't see what games they play nor their progress. Is there any use to this thing? It seems even more useless than GameCenter.

What's your screen on time?

Here is the update of the battery life on my LG G2. Keep in mind, I haven't used the phone as much as I used to the last few days. Hasn't been turned off at all but just using Wifi most of the time rather than the LTE. I did make few calls, used it for browsing and a lot of texting over Viber/WhatsApp.

10162760063_a4a31844b9_z.jpg

10162762123_d0f9bc9442.jpg
10162521894_b2c58e013e.jpg

I'm in the process of getting a new phone and I've been using a iPhone 5 and before that a
Samsung galaxy note 2. I was thinking about getting a note 3 but after reading a lot of comments on news sites and forums I see this LG G2 in the mix now. Why is everyone pretty much recommending the LG G2 over the note 3 or am I missing something?

I don't know why it is better than the Note 3 because I haven't looked into the Note just for the reason because it has a AMOLED screen which I am not a fan of.

The LG G2 however is a stunning phone. Great piece of hardware and I am very much used to the rear buttons and they are quite comfy to be honest. The double tap feature to wake up or lock the screen is very convenient.

Coming from an iPhone 5, the battery life is stunning. Never has a smartphone lasted me all day and this one surprisingly does.

The only gripe I have is how long it would take to update the Android software, never owned an LG phone and I heard they are slow.

However I bought this 32GB phone for $399+Tax in Canada, thanks to a pricing error by Bell. I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger and I am not regretting my decision at all. Very happy customer.

Razdek

Banned
Is there a date for the Nexus 5 announcement? I want to ditch my Nexus 4 because I've been getting shitty battery life with it. They should announce and start sales on October 22nd just to mess with the Apple iPAD announcement and Surface release.

mturco

Is there a date for the Nexus 5 announcement? I want to ditch my Nexus 4 because I've been getting shitty battery life with it. They should announce and start sales on October 22nd just to mess with the Apple iPAD announcement and Surface release.

Nope, not yet. Almost definitely some time in October though.

Here is the update of the battery life on my LG G2. Keep in mind, I haven't used the phone as much as I used to the last few days. Hasn't been turned off at all but just using Wifi most of the time rather than the LTE. I did make few calls, used it for browsing and a lot of texting over Viber/WhatsApp.

10162760063_a4a31844b9_z.jpg

10162762123_d0f9bc9442.jpg
10162521894_b2c58e013e.jpg

I don't know why it is better than the Note 3 because I haven't looked into the Note just for the reason because it has a AMOLED screen which I am not a fan of.

The LG G2 however is a stunning phone. Great piece of hardware and I am very much used to the rear buttons and they are quite comfy to be honest. The double tap feature to wake up or lock the screen is very convenient.

Coming from an iPhone 5, the battery life is stunning. Never has a smartphone lasted me all day and this one surprisingly does.

The only gripe I have is how long it would take to update the Android software, never owned an LG phone and I heard they are slow.

However I bought this 32GB phone for $399+Tax in Canada, thanks to a pricing error by Bell. I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger and I am not regretting my decision at all. Very happy customer.

hahaha and some people are worried about "only" having 3/4 of that battery capacity?!?!?

yeah... lol

VoxPop

The Nexus 5 is looking pretty dope. Especially with that 3000mAh battery. Hopefully Android 4.4 and the camera delivers to make it a compelling product.

iavi

Nexus 5 Checklist

Battery - check
Speaker - ??
Camera - ?? (but promising with the mems/ois talk)

1/3 so far. C'mon Google.

Fatalah

While Verizon may not get the Nexus 5 day 1, I'm hoping for something like,"Available for Verizon 3 weeks after everyone else".

:-(

Toki767

The LG + Verizon logos everywhere and the LG skin are pretty annoying though.

That's true, but I would imagine the Verizon G2 will end up having more dev support for custom ROMs due to them probably not getting the Nexus 5. So if you're fine with flashing, you're probably good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom