• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posting here to thank The Faceless Master who stuck by me and didn't insult me like most other people in this thread when I tried the worst phone I've ever used in the last 10 years, a Verizon S4, here last month. Got rid of that piece of shit, got a 5S and I'm very happy with my purchase. Especially since I bought 5 of them and sold 4 to get mine for free + 200 bucks in my pocket. Can't do that with any other phone really, plus I really can't leave the best in the world services of iMessage and FaceTime.

Anyway Android simply does not exist for me from this point onwards and if Apple folds, I'd just move to Windows Phone. I'm glad to be leaving this despicable, rude community on GAF (they don't get banned when they insult me, but I do when I reply back, but that's in the past) and unsubbing from this thread, some people excepted, most others on ignore forever.

Anyways, thanks The Faceless Master, and goodbye.

We'll miss you buddy

bob page

I message ting here to thank The Faceless Master who stuck by me and didn't insult me like most other people in this thread when I tried the worst phone I've ever used in the last 10 years, a Verizon S4, here last month. Got rid of that piece of shit, got a 5S and I'm very happy with my purchase. Especially since I bought 5 of them and sold 4 to get mine for free + 200 bucks in my pocket. Can't do that with any other phone really, plus I really can't leave the best in the world services of iMessage and FaceTime.

Anyway Android simply does not exist for me from this point onwards and if Apple folds, I'd just move to Windows Phone. I'm glad to be leaving this despicable, rude community on GAF (they don't get banned when they insult me, but I do when I reply back, but that's in the past) and unsubbing from this thread, some people excepted, most others on ignore forever.

Best in world services + iMessage in the same sentence? Baffling. The service only works properly like 30% of the time. As someone who owned iPhones for 6 years, I definitely don't see services as one of Apples strong suits.

It seems like the 3000mAh rumor started, because the FCC filing for the Verizon LG G2 that accidentally leaked pictures of the Nexus 5 also had a picture of a BL-T7 battery (3000mAh) in it. Unfortunately, the BL-T7 battery is the one in the G2, and it also appears to be slightly longer than the BL-T9 (the 2300 seen inside the Nexus 5).

So, don't expect it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It seems like the 3000mAh rumor started, because the FCC filing for the Verizon LG G2 that accidentally leaked pictures of the Nexus 5 also had a picture of a BL-T7 battery (3000mAh) in it. Unfortunately, the BL-T7 battery is the one in the G2, and it also appears to be slightly longer than the BL-T9 (the 2300 seen inside the Nexus 5).

So, don't expect it.

But the rumors aren't based on the FCC leak. One is from a guy hearing it from a source, and another is from a Japanese site offering N5 preorders. I find it unlikely that two independent sources can be handwaved away. It might not be true, but it's not an insubstantial rumor.

But the rumors aren't based on the FCC leak. One is from a guy hearing it from a source, and another is from a Japanese site offering N5 preorders. I find it unlikely that two independent sources can be handwaved away. It might not be true, but it's not an insubstantial rumor.

As far as I am aware, the 3000mAh/32gb rumor came from PhoneArena, which got an "anonymous" tip.

Doing some Googling today, PhoneArena posted an article earlier this morning saying they've now confirmed the 3000mAh battery, and they used the FCC picture of the BL-T7 battery, which they found on a French blog, GamerDen, that wrote a misleading story about the Nexus 5 FCC leak and included the G2 battery image in their gallery. That blog post was dated Sept. 17th, yet PhoneArena ran with it. They've since deleted their news story, presumably because they realized that they were tricked.

The "anonymous" tip that PhoneArena originally received could have come from the owners of GamerDen or someone who saw that false report. There's no telling either way, but PhoneArena is clearly not trustworthy.

As for the Japanese site, they're very clearly just pooling together the leaks, and trying to make an accurate picture of the Nexus 5. Unfortunately, they got some things wrong, such as the phone's dimensions, which they took from the leaked, typo-riddled service manual that used the Nexus 4's dimensions.

Fatalah

Goddamn Google, opening Google Music in Mexico

Bring it to Canada you assholes

Canada obviously didn't do enough palm greasing.

enchiladas-verdes-a.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I agree with Vyse. I don't see a 3000 mAh version coming.

Just posting here to thank The Faceless Master who stuck by me and didn't insult me like most other people in this thread when I tried the worst phone I've ever used in the last 10 years, a Verizon S4, here last month. Got rid of that piece of shit, got a 5S and I'm very happy with my purchase. Especially since I bought 5 of them and sold 4 to get mine for free + 200 bucks in my pocket. Can't do that with any other phone really, plus I really can't leave the best in the world services of iMessage and FaceTime.

... but which color did you get?

enjoy!

Hey guys, I'm currently stuck on whether to buy the Nexus 4 or the Sony Xperia ZR. They're both in the same price range for me here (India) but I'm leaning more towards the ZR since it has a much better battery life, better camera and a micro-SD slot. However the Nexus 4 is a darling among lots of people and I'm pretty wary of Sony's customer support (I own a Xperia U which did not get the Jellybean update despite meeting requirements)

Battery life is very important to me, which is one major advantage for the Xperia ZR against the Nexus 4, but if a custom ROM or method exists to extend the Nexus 4's battery then I'm all for it.
well, you know what people are going to say... "Nexus 4 is pure Google and gets the latest version right away"

if you find that having a decent camera, good battery life, a microSD slot, good build quality and the waterproofing, etc are more important than DAY ONE TO SEVEN KITKAT ZOMG, get the ZR.

Shambles

Goddamn Google, opening Google Music in Mexico

Bring it to Canada you assholes

We had all those announcement a month or so back saying it was coming, but nothing ever came of it. I'm sure it's being held up by some legal wrangling up here if Mexico is getting it. I have my account faked as american but couldn't rig it up for the wife. It would be nice to get her collection online as well. She has a Nexus S right now which is a pretty pitiful experience so she'll be picking up the Nexus 5 when it comes out and actually start to use the services on the phone a lot more often.

And on that note bring google wallet up here too already!

Threi

notag
^^ /rolleyes

both are good devices and have similar internals (outside of sd, camera and a slightly better battery in favor of the sony)

and yes the nexus is better supported. It's a fact, and not just some stupid feature people jizz over like s-beam.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one (unless you are like some guys here who think anything less than a flagship is unusable garbage) though but if they are the same price (which you didn't note - nexus 4 is sold out everywhere, how would you be getting one?) I'd go with the Sony phone.

Gannd

Banned
After dumping my iPhone I'm so glad to be back with Android. It's such a clean and function OS compared to iOS. I am able to look at my home screens without my eyes bleeding. One thing I always hated about iOS is that it felt like whenever I'd come home from school to my parents house and use their computer. They'd save everything to their desktop.

I picked up the Moto X for T-Mobile and it comes with no junkware but also it doesn't have wifi calling which a little bit of a shame. Buttery smoothe.

kinggroin

Banned

You're in here reading all the replies, aren't you?

That's fine. I'd do the same thing too.

Talon

So you've got to think the Nexus launch event will be either next week or the last week of October.

Please be next week.

Also, poor Nokia. Going to wind up sandwiched between a new Nexus and iPads.

the battery life sure is impressive... hmm. wonder if I can tweak my note 3 to be something like that..

and I like its double tap to screen on and double tap to screen off features

Yeah I keep playing with our demo and love it. Volume on back is weird but I can get used to it.

Milchjon

And here I thought that ban would've given coldfoot the time necessary to mellow out and approach phones in a reasonable way.

Also, if it means he'll end up in the WP thread, I can only hope Apple never kicks the bucket.

And here I thought that ban would've given coldfoot the time necessary to mellow out and approach phones in a reasonable way.

Also, if it means he'll end up in the WP thread, I can only hope Apple never kicks the bucket.

I'd send coldfoot a Lumia 520 just to see the havoc he'd cause in that thread.

"How do I get notification center on my phone"
"How do I sync it with iTunes"
"How do I send an iMessage"

Cipherr

SMH at dude getting banned and still not getting any perspective. And then making sure to return to tell us he ditched "our" phone.

17 years old. Tops.

Google just updated QuickOffice to make it a little less embarrassing. Still needs work but it's progress.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...dling-performance-improvements-and-bug-fixes/

Shouldnt they merge these two? Probably will happen soon. Everythings getting merged on their end these days. Cant wait until GVoice is gone

CronoShot

Finally got my HTC One Dev Edition in today. Although I suppose it's not really a Dev Edition anymore. Had to relock the bootloader (and spend an hour figuring out how the fuck to do that) to get Google Play Movies to work. I want my Pacific Rim, damn it.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far. Lots to learn coming from nothing but iPhones.

the popular series continues.

The device, which looks a lot like earlier Samsung forays into the world of "smart" flip phones, packs the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU, 2GB of RAM and dual 3.67-inch, WVGA (480x800) SuperAMOLED screens. There's also a 13-megapixel rear camera and 2-megapixel front-facer, and interestingly it's reportedly running the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.

GEImvyB.jpg

Finally got my HTC One Dev Edition in today. Although I suppose it's not really a Dev Edition anymore. Had to relock the bootloader (and spend an hour figuring out how the fuck to do that) to get Google Play Movies to work. I want my Pacific Rim, damn it.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far. Lots to learn coming from nothing but iPhones.

Welcome to team HTC.

Best in world services + iMessage in the same sentence? Baffling. The service only works properly like 30% of the time. As someone who owned iPhones for 6 years, I definitely don't see services as one of Apples strong suits.

Come iMessage is still one of the pros that iOS has over Android. It's one of the things I miss from switching.

tr4656

the popular series continues.
Why do they keep doing these weird devices, although it has a chance of working in Japan since people there still like their keitais even as most people shift to smartphones.

More people would probably buy Sony phones if they fixed up their display. Everything else seems to be well done but their screens are total shit. :/

Husker86

Come iMessage is still one of the pros that iOS has over Android. It's one of the things I miss from switching.
Being iOS only makes it behind from the start. And as someone who switches between a 5s and GS4 regularly, it's kinda annoying. I don't get texts from some friends when I'm on my GS4 because iMessage eats it even though I have my iPhone disconnected from the internet. It isn't 100% reliable as some messages will come as SMS during a conversation, but that at least seems to have gotten better.

It's fine if everyone you know has an iPhone I guess, but start a group message with one non iPhone user and you're back to MMS anyway.

I don't know, it just doesn't impress me since it's platform dependent.

wilflare

hmm any of you guys using

Dynamic Notifications? It is similar to Moto X Active Display.. pretty cool!
liking it on my Note 3 thus far

just some questions on anyone using Samsung Galaxy Note 3
what's your brightness/screen settings

(1) Screen Mode
I'm on Professional Photo mode with Adapt Display OFF
(2) Reading Mode ON
for Chrome, Press and Pocket
(3) Auto Brightness ON
(4) Adjust Screen Tone ON
(5) Power Saving Mode for Screen ON

... iVerge ...

Android phone manufacturers have demonstrated little desire to cease one-upping each other with bigger and bigger devices over the past few years, and it's refreshing to see Sony produce something more usable.

pretty sure this year has been all about keeping the phones the same size as last year while also making the screens bigger via smaller bezels... kind of why that 4.3" screened phone is the same size as another 4" phone..

Being iOS only makes it behind from the start. And as someone who switches between a 5s and GS4 regularly, it's kinda annoying. I don't get texts from some friends when I'm on my GS4 because iMessage eats it even though I have my iPhone disconnected from the internet. It isn't 100% reliable as some messages will come as SMS during a conversation, but that at least seems to have gotten better.

It's fine if everyone you know has an iPhone I guess, but start a group message with one non iPhone user and you're back to MMS anyway.

that's Samsung's fault. they should have copied iMessage.

It's my understanding that you just can't shut off your device, but you have to go into the settings and actively turn off iMessage in order for you not to lose it. I think the problem you're having is the fact that you keep going back and forth. Most people don't do that. I've never lost an iMessage since it was released.

Being behind iOS isn't completely a bad thing either though because what's the alternative out there? With iMessage, I get iMessages sent to everyone who has an iPhone automatically without me knowing they have one and if they don't a SMS is sent. It's all seamless and I don't have to think about it. In a weird stalking way, you can easily find out who has an iPhone and who doesn't from this. There's nothing like this on Android. On Android if I want to SMS, I have to go to a SMS app. If I want something else, I have to find one of the many dozen services out there and hope the other person at the end has it. I have to actively think which app I want to use because some people may have one service, while others may have a different one. It just reminds me of the IM days where some people were on GChat, some on AIM, some on MSN and it's just a fragmented mess. It amazes me how none of the services out there will let you default to SMS.

It's my understanding that you just can't shut off your device, but you have to go into the settings and actively turn off iMessage in order for you not to lose it. I think the problem you're having is the fact that you keep going back and forth. Most people don't do that. I've never lost an iMessage since it was released.

Being behind iOS isn't completely a bad thing either though because what's the alternative out there? With iMessage, I get iMessages sent to everyone who has an iPhone automatically without me knowing they have one and if they don't a SMS is sent. It's all seamless and I don't have to think about it. In a weird stalking way, you can easily find out who has an iPhone and who doesn't from this. There's nothing like this on Android. On Android if I want to SMS, I have to go to a SMS app. If I want something else, I have to find one of the many dozen services out there and hope the other person at the end has it. I have to actively think which app I want to use because some people may have one service, while others may have a different one. It just reminds me of the IM days where some people were on GChat, some on AIM, some on MSN and it's just a fragmented mess. It amazes me how none of the services out there will let you default to SMS.

the answer is simple. no other userbase is okay with the situation where messages they send and receive just disappear.

the answer is simple. no other userbase is okay with the situation where messages they send and receive just disappear.

And I've never heard of it being an issue until I switched. Nobody I know of has ever missed a message from me sent either through iMessage or SMS and I've never failed to receive one. The only cases I seem to hear where they get lost is going between platforms. That's a niche scenario. Most people don't constantly swap. I know anecdotal but if it truly was such a problem, I would think it would have been a much more well known problem since Apple gets put under a magnify glass. That all said, the situation is still shitty on Android.

tzare

there is no fragmentation as you seem to point, since sms is standard on all platforms. The fragmentation may come from the service you use to chat via internet: whatsapp, line, chaton....

So using an iOS exclusive service , as it was BBM, will always lead to fragmentation but that is its own fault, not other's. As if hangaouts wasn't available for iOS. That would be weird.
Plus this 'seamless' way of merging internet messaging and sms is kinda stupid, since not all operators include 'free ' sms anymore. So that may affect your monthly bill if not aware. I'd rather know when i am sending an sms and when i am not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom