• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
You can use the 4G LTE function on Verizon. You just have to wait for the verification process which will take about 1 year.

tr4656

That's true, but I would imagine the Verizon G2 will end up having more dev support for custom ROMs due to them probably not getting the Nexus 5. So if you're fine with flashing, you're probably good to go.

Hopefully. I'm on Verizon and my contract is pretty much up. Not sure what I'm going to do just yet if the the Nexus 5 doesn't hit Verizon.

Fatalah

My Verizon plan has unlimited data, so I'm in a tough spot.

1.) Buy a phone full price and stick with the bastards and their wonderful network coverage...

2.) Or switch to T-Mobile, who I'm really rooting for these days.

I get all excited about switching carriers, but then I read stories of people selling their VZ unlimited plans for $1,000. Ugh.

My Verizon plan has unlimited data, so I'm in a tough spot.

1.) Buy a phone full price and stick with the bastards and their wonderful network coverage...

2.) Or switch to T-Mobile, who I'm really rooting for these days.

I get all excited about switching carriers, but then I read stories of people selling their VZ unlimited plans for $1,000. Ugh.
Yeah, I wouldn't switch. What phones are you looking at? I've kept my unlimited lines on my family plan so far, and I've gotten a GS3, a Note 2, and a Galaxy Nexus all on Craig's List in fantastic condition for great prices. That would be my first recommendation. I'm not happy with Verizon's anti-consumer practices either, but I feel like at least I'm sending them a message, and getting superb unlimited LTE service in the meantime.

tr4656

Yeah, I wouldn't switch. What phones are you looking at? I've kept my unlimited lines on my family plan so far, and I've gotten a GS3, a Note 2, and a Galaxy Nexus all on Craig's List in fantastic condition for great prices. That would be my first recommendation. I'm not happy with Verizon's anti-consumer practices either, but I feel like at least I'm sending them a message, and getting superb unlimited LTE service in the meantime.

I feel that Verizon's phone selection is not as good though. Right now, the HTC One or the G2 are pretty much the only thing good on VZW right?

reKon

Banned
If this $400 Nexus 5 with a 3,000 mAh battery rumor ends up being true... I might have to hop on that. That may be nearly THE perfect phone for me if the camera delivers. I love the look of the HTC One though and I've have no reason legitimate reason that I'd need to switch. One of the most disappointing things about the HTC ONe though was going back to a non Nexus phone because Android updates take forever, especially with T-Mobile. I'm still on the 4.1.2 rom because the 4.2.2 international rom does not support T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling. That's something I must have because T-Mobile gives me shitty reception at my place, which is North of Loop (Chicago), but Wi-Fi Calling/Texting resolves all that.

If this ends up being the super phone at a great price, maybe I'll get it and to get AT&T.

RM8

So after some weeks of owning my second device with gorilla glass.

Why on Earth is gorilla glass not an industry standard? This thing is amazing. Just like with my old Lumia 800, I can drop my Xperia SP on my backpack, clean the screen with my shirt and overall never be scared of potential scratches. When I look at the screen of my Xperia P and compare it to the perfect, scratch-free screens on my SP and Lumia 800... man, no phone out there should lack gorilla glass. Or is there any other similar screen that I'm not aware of and my Xperia P just had a particularly bad "scratch-resistant" screen?

So after some weeks of owning my second device with gorilla glass.

Why on Earth is gorilla glass not an industry standard? This thing is amazing. Just like with my old Lumia 800, I can drop my Xperia SP on my backpack, clean the screen with my shirt and overall never be scared of potential scratches. When I look at the screen of my Xperia P and compare it to the perfect, scratch-free screens on my SP and Lumia 800... man, no phone out there should lack gorilla glass. Or is there any other similar screen that I'm not aware of and my Xperia P just had a particularly bad "scratch-resistant" screen?

it costs more.

Fatalah

Any chances of sweet talking someone at the Verizon Store to extend my contract, and keep my unlimited? I need a new phone goddamnit, I'm an Incredible user.

tr4656

Any chances of sweet talking someone at the Verizon Store to extend my contract, and keep my unlimited? I need a new phone goddamnit, I'm an Incredible user.

Maybe you can try social engineering but I'm guessing you would need to get a unsubsidized phone to switch.

Galaxy Round? Wow. Do they literally just use the first word that comes to mind?

Also who told them this was a good idea or that anyone wants this? Or is this just to prove we can make screens bend now. If so, cool?

i still remember when Samsung made a 5.3" phone with a wacom stylus and digitizer just because they could... yeah, i don't think this will be the same...

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, I'm running a Nexus 4. It's completely stock, unrooted and running most recent version and all that. I've had it for a bit over a month and just today it seemed the battery was dying quite fast and I noticed that Android OS was using up 40% of my battery whereas my screen was using a relatively little, like 6% or something like that.

I've checked around and from other forums I've read other people have had this experience as well. All the threads were from late spring/early summer through August. Here it is nearly half-way through October, is there any way I couldn't find to fix this on a stock, unrooted device? It seems like Android OS using 40+% of my battery is a bit excessive!

I even checked my OG Nexus 7 and Android OS is using 4% of it's battery. I'd love an explanation, or help, or both. Mostly I just want my beautiful phone to have it's long, luscious battery life back :(

Here is the update of the battery life on my LG G2. Keep in mind, I haven't used the phone as much as I used to the last few days. Hasn't been turned off at all but just using Wifi most of the time rather than the LTE. I did make few calls, used it for browsing and a lot of texting over Viber/WhatsApp.

10162760063_a4a31844b9_z.jpg

10162762123_d0f9bc9442.jpg
10162521894_b2c58e013e.jpg

52hrs on battery and 5hrs of screen on...... :O

Damnit, I want one, but I need to hold fire to see what the N5 brings to the table.

Thanks for the update.

DXPett1

Galaxy Round? Wow. Do they literally just use the first word that comes to mind?

Also who told them this was a good idea or that anyone wants this? Or is this just to prove we can make screens bend now. If so, cool?

Samsung are the new Nokia. Flush in funds and make fuck loads of different and weird phones. I'm okay with this

Groof

Here is the update of the battery life on my LG G2. Keep in mind, I haven't used the phone as much as I used to the last few days. Hasn't been turned off at all but just using Wifi most of the time rather than the LTE. I did make few calls, used it for browsing and a lot of texting over Viber/WhatsApp.

10162760063_a4a31844b9_z.jpg

10162762123_d0f9bc9442.jpg
10162521894_b2c58e013e.jpg

I don't know why it is better than the Note 3 because I haven't looked into the Note just for the reason because it has a AMOLED screen which I am not a fan of.

The LG G2 however is a stunning phone. Great piece of hardware and I am very much used to the rear buttons and they are quite comfy to be honest. The double tap feature to wake up or lock the screen is very convenient.

Coming from an iPhone 5, the battery life is stunning. Never has a smartphone lasted me all day and this one surprisingly does.

The only gripe I have is how long it would take to update the Android software, never owned an LG phone and I heard they are slow.

However I bought this 32GB phone for $399+Tax in Canada, thanks to a pricing error by Bell. I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger and I am not regretting my decision at all. Very happy customer.
This is absolutely godlike. It's crazy how enticing the G2 is, it seems like such a well rounded device. Too bad I'm far too deep in the nexus swamp.

No way. Your only hope is that they do another weekend of "accidental" unlimited upgrades like a week and a half ago, but that's not at all likely. So I suggest Craigslist or ebay. Or if you have an older friend or relative on Verizon who only uses the same clam shell phone she's had for 6 years for making the odd phone call here or there, use her upgrade to get a phone and activate it on your line. :p

coldfoot

Banned
Just posting here to thank The Faceless Master who stuck by me and didn't insult me like most other people in this thread when I tried the worst phone I've ever used in the last 10 years, a Verizon S4, here last month. Got rid of that piece of shit, got a 5S and I'm very happy with my purchase. Especially since I bought 5 of them and sold 4 to get mine for free + 200 bucks in my pocket. Can't do that with any other phone really, plus I really can't leave the best in the world services of iMessage and FaceTime.

Anyway Android simply does not exist for me from this point onwards and if Apple folds, I'd just move to Windows Phone. I'm glad to be leaving this despicable, rude community on GAF (they don't get banned when they insult me, but I do when I reply back, but that's in the past) and unsubbing from this thread, some people excepted, most others on ignore forever.

Anyways, thanks The Faceless Master, and goodbye.

Just posting here to thank The Faceless Master who stuck by me and didn't insult me like most other people in this thread when I tried the worst phone I've ever used in the last 10 years, a Verizon S4, here last month. Got rid of that piece of shit, got a 5S and I'm very happy with my purchase. Especially since I bought 5 of them and sold 4 to get mine for free + 200 bucks in my pocket. Can't do that with any other phone really, plus I really can't leave the best in the world services of iMessage and FaceTime.

Anyway Android simply does not exist for me from this point onwards and if Apple folds, I'd just move to Windows Phone. I'm glad to be leaving this despicable, rude community on GAF (they don't get banned when they insult me, but I do when I reply back, but that's in the past) and unsubbing from this thread, some people excepted, most others on ignore forever.

If the only piece of good advice you were able to glean from this thread is, "get an iPhone instead," why are you surprised that more people didn't offer it here? Don't you think there's a chance that an Android community might not have the experience with iOS you're looking for? Wouldn't it have been better to post in the iPhone thread and ask how you might be able to switch? If you needed iMessage and FaceTime, wouldn't it have been a better idea to stick to iOS in the first place? I'm sorry for being so rude.

Nicktendo86

Wow

ajpw

not surprised youre so angry after using an s4

zbeeb

Dat touchwiz effect.

Fatalah

No way. Your only hope is that they do another weekend of "accidental" unlimited upgrades like a week and a half ago, but that's not at all likely. So I suggest Craigslist or ebay. Or if you have an older friend or relative on Verizon who only uses the same clam shell phone she's had for 6 years for making the odd phone call here or there, use her upgrade to get a phone and activate it on your line. :p

Maybe you can try social engineering but I'm guessing you would need to get a unsubsidized phone to switch.

Thanks for your thoughts. Craigslist has a few VZ MotoX's at $450. I don't have an LTE card, do I just ask Verizon for one?

Hey guys, I'm currently stuck on whether to buy the Nexus 4 or the Sony Xperia ZR. They're both in the same price range for me here (India) but I'm leaning more towards the ZR since it has a much better battery life, better camera and a micro-SD slot. However the Nexus 4 is a darling among lots of people and I'm pretty wary of Sony's customer support (I own a Xperia U which did not get the Jellybean update despite meeting requirements)

Battery life is very important to me, which is one major advantage for the Xperia ZR against the Nexus 4, but if a custom ROM or method exists to extend the Nexus 4's battery then I'm all for it.

reKon

Banned

Damn...lol.

Talk about hyberbole.

Nicktendo86

Guess you could say he got cold feet

Damn why did I miss this lol

Anyways, not sure why we are feeding him. Someone who gets banned for sending insulting PMs only to go back into that thread when unbanned to insult everyone is clearly just looking for attention.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I don't have an LTE card, do I just ask Verizon for one?

Yes, you can get one for free at a Verizon store. If you try to go to a Verizon reseller, they'll try to charge you $15-20 for the card. You also have the option of calling Verizon (or going online) and requesting an LTE card that has NFC built into the card. I don't see them unlocking Google Wallet for NFC purchases, but it gives access to the "secure element" and allows you to make NFC payments with Isis. The NFC/LTE card is also free.

Also, WTF @ coldfoot's post. What did you guys do to him?

this_guy

Read your post - who's despicable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom