• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is no fragmentation as you seem to point, since sms is standard on all platforms. The fragmentation may come from the service you use to chat via internet: whatsapp, line, chaton....

So using an iOS exclusive service , as it was BBM, will always lead to fragmentation but that is its own fault, not other's. As if hangaouts wasn't available for iOS. That would be weird.
Plus this 'seamless' way of merging internet messaging and sms is kinda stupid, since not all operators include 'free ' sms anymore. So that may affect your monthly bill if not aware. I'd rather know when i am sending an sms and when i am not.

Yes there is fragmentation just as you pointed out. There are a number of services out there that you can pick from to get free messaging, but not everyone is on those services. On top of that, none of those services integrate SMS as a default option. So if you want to message someone, you have to go through a free service, see if that person is on there, if not, exit that app and then go send a sms. That's fragmentation when iMessage is an all in one don't have to worry about it solution. I know when I'm sending an SMS or when I'm sending an iMessage too since it indicates to you what you're doing if you want to pay attention to it. Green is SMS, iMessage is Blue. It's pretty simple.

tzare

Yes there is fragmentation just as you pointed out. There are a number of services out there that you can pick from to get free messaging, but not everyone is on those services. On top of that, none of those services integrate SMS as a default option. So if you want to message someone, you have to go through a free service, see if that person is on there, if not, exit that app and then go send a sms. That's fragmentation when iMessage is an all in one don't have to worry about it solution. I know when I'm sending an SMS or when I'm sending an iMessage too since it indicates to you what you're doing if you want to pay attention to it. Green is SMS, iMessage is Blue. It's pretty simple.

You may know how imessage works but not everyone in the world is aware of that, my mother for example would never understand that subtle difference, however she is fine with using two different apps , the sms one, and the internet messaging (whatsapp) one, it is not a big deal and in fact i see more benefits of those being differentiated since are different services. And at least whatsapp is multiplatform, so your friends and contacts can have any phone, android, ios, bb... and you just do not need to worry, just works.
However if i had to chat with someone like you i'd had to go via sms since i do not plan to buy an iphone, which is weird, considering internet messaging is more popular than sms these days (plus sms mean an extra cost in many carriers).

In fact i could see these sms integration thing a plus for some multiplatform apps like whatsapp , instead of ones locked to a system

Blackhead

Redarse
And I've never heard of it being an issue until I switched. Nobody I know of has ever missed a message from me sent either through iMessage or SMS and I've never failed to receive one. The only cases I seem to hear where they get lost is going between platforms. That's a niche scenario. Most people don't constantly swap. I know anecdotal but if it truly was such a problem, I would think it would have been a much more well known problem since Apple gets put under a magnify glass. That all said, the situation is still shitty on Android.

Complaints about missed messages, and confusion about how it works, from the iOS7 thread in only the past week:

Is there a way to turn off iMessage just for a specific contact? My friend has an iphone but she rarely has internet access on it, so she doesn't receive my texts for ages as they send as an iMessage instead of a text message
iMessage has stopped working three times in one week for my iPhone. IPad has been fine. Ugh.
Finally been hit with the iOS 7 iMessage bug on friday night, did not notice until I saw a few messages were still trying to send about an hour after sending them, bah.

You can fix this by resetting the clock or something right?
Dear god fix your iMessage bug already apple you bastards
Just came in here to say that I really hate the imessage bug.
Who else is having their messages not being delivered? So annoying.

Nicktendo86

Just read another android police rumour on google+, apparently Google are getting ready to launch the devices section of the play store in Denmark, Norway and some other unspecified countries. Groof I should imagine that if they are expanding to Nordic countries Sweden will be included!

Groof

Just read another android police rumour on google+, apparently Google are getting ready to launch the devices section of the play store in Denmark, Norway and some other unspecified countries. Groof I should imagine that if they are expanding to Nordic countries Sweden will be included!
Hoooooolyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiiittttttt I could kiss you on the mouth right now BRING IT TO MY VEINS

Zeppu

Hoooooolyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiiittttttt I could kiss you on the mouth right now BRING IT TO MY VEINS

image.php

Mindwipe

That's fragmentation when iMessage is an all in one don't have to worry about it solution. I know when I'm sending an SMS or when I'm sending an iMessage too since it indicates to you what you're doing if you want to pay attention to it. Green is SMS, iMessage is Blue. It's pretty simple.

You have to worry about it all the time unless you disable iMessage entirely, since it's junk.

snacknuts

we all knew her

What in the world are you talking about? iMessage is certainly not an "all in one don't have to worry about it solution." It lets you send free SMS/MMS messages to other iOS users when it decides to work properly, which it very often does not. It's an SMS app, plain and simple, and in that regard, it is no different from the default SMS app on any other platform. If you are like me and unwilling to spend one red cent on a messaging plan with your carrier, iMessage becomes almost unusable because it so often doesn't work the way it's supposed to and will end up getting you charged for individual messages.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goddamnit, apparently the Walkman app can't play gapless. :(

Is it software specific, so I can get a good gapless player on the market, or is it hardware specific? I have the sony xperia SP.

edit: hmm, searched for a topic about it and apparently it's gapless in the update. Gonna update it now and see if it works.

Nicktendo86

I love Groof's avatar, so many applications in which it is quotable lol.

As for imessage, i don’t really get the argument. It is an sms app that sends sms messages to all phone but sends a message via the internet to other people who have iphone, and it seems to fail a lot more often than it should. Hangouts seems to me like a superior solution, when sms has been implemented, as you can turn off the sms part if you wish AND is multiplatform. I'm not sure how anyone could argue it is not the better solution.

tino

Banned
Guys, my theory is the google is not going to do anything to unify the message system.

Why do I say that? they didn't do anything after they brought Gizmo5 and basically lessen its functionality and stop pushing Google Voice outside of US.

There are too much money to be made in the txt and mms business by the carriers. My theory is Google doesn't want to piss off the carriers and encourage a fork. There is absolutely no reason why there can't be a unified message system technically, even 5 years ago. Its trivia for google to flip a switch, but they haven't.

Zeppu

Guys, my theory is the google is not going to do anything to unify the message system.

Why do I say that? they didn't do anything after they brought Gizmo5 and basically lessen its functionality and stop pushing Google Voice outside of US.

There are too much money to be made in the txt and mms business by the carriers. My theory is Google doesn't want to piss off the carriers and encourage a fork. There is absolutely no reason why there can't be a unified message system technically, even 5 years ago. Its trivia for google to flip a switch, but they haven't.

I think it's more because Google is trying to take away as much power from carriers as they can rather than that they are scared of pissing them off.

But then again I'm anti-SMS. I hate them. I find it to be an archaic system and if it were integrated into Hangouts I wouldn't enable it anyway.

mturco

Wait, the majority of people in this thread don't want an integrated Hangouts/SMS app that works like iMessage? I'm seriously shocked. I thought everyone was on board with this idea. iMessage (when it works) is amazing. What exactly are the downsides again?

Also, I don't think Google is at all trying to protect the carrier's profits and not piss them off. By selling the Nexus 4 on the Play store unlocked and at a super low cost they're essentially giving carriers the finger, right?

tino

Banned
Wait, the majority of people in this thread don't want an integrated Hangouts/SMS app that works like iMessage? I'm seriously shocked. I thought everyone was on board with this idea. iMessage (when it works) is amazing. What exactly are the downsides again?

Also, I don't think Google is at all trying to protect the carrier's profits and not piss them off. By selling the Nexus 4 on the Play store unlocked and at a super low cost they're essentially giving carriers the finger, right?

Whats the down side? Its not an open standard. Its like BBM. Its not universal. Its like betamax vs VHS. You can't be sure the other guys have it.

IMO all the people who don't want to pay TXT has already found an alternative. Me I have ported to Google Voice, my friends mostly use Whatsapp. My cousin only use email. She gets angry if I text her.

.well, you know what people are going to say... "Nexus 4 is pure Google and gets the latest version right away"

if you find that having a decent camera, good battery life, a microSD slot, good build quality and the waterproofing, etc are more important than DAY ONE TO SEVEN KITKAT ZOMG, get the ZR.

both are good devices and have similar internals (outside of sd, camera and a slightly better battery in favor of the sony)

and yes the nexus is better supported. It's a fact, and not just some stupid feature people jizz over like s-beam.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one (unless you are like some guys here who think anything less than a flagship is unusable garbage) though but if they are the same price (which you didn't note - nexus 4 is sold out everywhere, how would you be getting one?) I'd go with the Sony phone.

Thanks guys. Xperia ZR it is. Also, the Nexus 4 just started being sold in India officially by LG and Google.

So, Google Launchpad, an event for start-up developers, started today.

It is a place for sharing ideas, so naturally there are peeps from Mountain View over there. Some developers have apparently been told around the workshops and networking events that the release date of Android 4.4 KitKat and, respectively, the Google Nexus 5 (or Nexus 4 2013) phone will be October 15th, not the 14th date the folks from Down Under speculated on before. We can't vouch for the validity of these claims, but there's been enough smoke around an eventual next week release to conclude there might be fire soon.

As for the actual retail release date of the Nexus 5, the devs say nothing was discussed in that regard, so we'd have to stick with the rumor pegging October 31st as the date the phone will pop up in the Play Store, if it gets announced next week indeed. That's when some case makers like Spigen say you can order your Nexus 5 wrapper as well.

The developers did overhear the pricing scheme, though, and were told Google's handset won't be budging over € 300, which in the US will translate to the $300 price of last year's edition we all know and love.

No press invites yet, so I sincerely doubt this, unless Google just plans to announce it like the Nexus 4.

mturco

Whats the down side? Its not an open standard. Its like BBM. Its not universal. Its like betamax vs VHS. You can't be sure the other guys have it.

IMO all the people who don't want to pay TXT has already found an alternative. Me I have ported to Google Voice, my friends mostly use Whatsapp. My cousin only use email. She gets angry if I text her.

Ok well that's a good point. However, everyone has been building proprietary messaging platforms for a while now (BBM, iMessage) so they're only playing catch up. It's not like Apple and Microsoft are going to jump on board with the open messaging standard either. Remember Google Talk? That was based on an open standard (XMPP) and Google eventually abandoned it because no one supported it. So they said screw it and made Hangouts proprietary because XMPP was limiting what they could do anyway.

It'd be nice if it was an open standard, but I don't see it happening any time soon. In the mean time, it'd be great to have something like iMessage on Android in my opinion.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I won't be happy until Hangouts integrates Google Voice and I can send MMS messages through Hangouts to non-Hangouts users from my Google Voice number without paying for it.

tino

Banned
I won't be happy until Hangouts integrates Google Voice and I can send MMS messages through Hangouts to non-Hangouts users from my Google Voice number without paying for it.

You can already send the txt from Google Voice to that guy for free.

Oh you want MMS. Receiving MMS cost a lot of money though. Don't be a dick.

Mindwipe

It's an awful idea.

SMS is a better protocol than any 3G/LTE data based one. There is no theoretical way around this - because by the time a data connection is established to send a message then an SMS would have already gone.

All you're getting is a messaging system that isn't an openly implementable standard across all handsets and is intrinsically less reliable.

The few instances where a 3G/LTE data based messaging system would be worthwhile (which is texting abroad, basically) would be better handled by a seperate application that didn't also screw up messaging locally.

mturco

It's an awful idea.

SMS is a better protocol than any 3G/LTE data based one. There is no theoretical way around this - because by the time a data connection is established to send a message then an SMS would have already gone.

All you're getting is a messaging system that isn't an openly implementable standard across all handsets and is intrinsically less reliable.

The few instances where a 3G/LTE data based messaging system would be worthwhile (which is texting abroad, basically) would be better handled by a seperate application that didn't also screw up messaging locally.

SMS does have its advantages but so does an internet-based messaging service. Why would it be intrinsically less reliable? It's no less reliable than any other internet service (email). Some advantages are: it works on wifi (for when you're in an area without service), it can sync across devices (phone/tablet/web), and it's free (no texting charges).

Those are all huge advantages.

Zeppu

So, Google Launchpad, an event for start-up developers, started today.

No press invites yet, so I sincerely doubt this, unless Google just plans to announce it like the Nexus 4.

I kind of liked the way the N4 was announced. The press having all the facts before and then they can compile their articles properly and then setting the internet ablaze once the embargo stops.

Honestly, if there are no killer new features in the phone (which I doubt there will be) which require explanation it's a much better way to do it than the trickling of information during a conference.

Also, it kind of explains why major sites have been shying away from covering the several rumours which keep popping up.

It's an awful idea.

Funny how you described the exact opposite of my typical use-case scenario. Internet based messaging is used exclusively when I'm at home and I switch to SMS when I'm abroad due to limited internet service.

I kind of liked the way the N4 was announced. The press having all the facts before and then they can compile their articles properly and then setting the internet ablaze once the embargo stops.

Honestly, if there are no killer new features in the phone (which I doubt there will be) which require explanation it's a much better way to do it than the trickling of information during a conference.

Also, it kind of explains why major sites have been shying away from covering the several rumours which keep popping up.

I agree, but the Nexus 7 and 4.3 got a formal press event, and those definitely didn't warrant one (especially 4.3).

The Nexus 5 and 4.4 are much bigger deals.

mturco

I kind of liked it too but there's no way Google isn't going to do an event for it. The only reason they didn't do one for the Nexus 4 was because of the hurricane and they had to cancel the event.

You may know how imessage works but not everyone in the world is aware of that, my mother for example would never understand that subtle difference, however she is fine with using two different apps , the sms one, and the internet messaging (whatsapp) one, it is not a big deal and in fact i see more benefits of those being differentiated since are different services. And at least whatsapp is multiplatform, so your friends and contacts can have any phone, android, ios, bb... and you just do not need to worry, just works.
However if i had to chat with someone like you i'd had to go via sms since i do not plan to buy an iphone, which is weird, considering internet messaging is more popular than sms these days (plus sms mean an extra cost in many carriers).

In fact i could see these sms integration thing a plus for some multiplatform apps like whatsapp , instead of ones locked to a system

If your mother is worried about sending a SMS message, you can turn that off in the settings of iMessage if she's not willing or doesn't understand the color coding of what will be sent before you send it. Whatsapp may be multi platform, but it is not standard and that's a problem. I look through my Whatsapp list and I can't tell who is using it currently versus signed up for it, didn't like it and never used it again on top of not everyone in my contact list using it. So I have to hop in, see if they might use it, hope that they get the message and then if they're not on the list, find another app where they can get a message. It's clunky. The other problem is NONE of the multiplatform apps default to SMS. So right now there is no viable solution on Android.

Complaints about missed messages, and confusion about how it works, from the iOS7 thread in only the past week:

I heard there was an iMesssage problem with iOS7 but wasn't that a server issue? I really have no experience with iMessage since iOS7 was released, but prior to that it was ace and I have no reason to think that Apple won't fix whatever problem it was and it'll go back to being normal. Any of these third party services can experience server issues for bugs too.

What in the world are you talking about? iMessage is certainly not an "all in one don't have to worry about it solution." It lets you send free SMS/MMS messages to other iOS users when it decides to work properly, which it very often does not. It's an SMS app, plain and simple, and in that regard, it is no different from the default SMS app on any other platform. If you are like me and unwilling to spend one red cent on a messaging plan with your carrier, iMessage becomes almost unusable because it so often doesn't work the way it's supposed to and will end up getting you charged for individual messages.

But it is an all in one solution app. I use one app, and I know everyone on my contact list is going to receive my message one way or another and I don't have to think about what they're using. It's guaranteed that every iPhone user on my contact list has iMessage and anyone who doesn't gets a SMS. With Android, there is no solution that every Android user has, so I'm either now sending SMS to all Android users and all iPhone users, or I'm jumping around between apps hoping that the other person is on that third party service. That's worse. The notion that iMessage is constantly broken is silly too. As said above, you can turn off SMS in iMessage if you don't want to use SMS.

Got the Z1 in today. Not very exciting. I thought this guy was waterproof but I guess not as it has a standard headphone jack. Looks pretty much identical to the Z. Screen hasn't improved much over the Z but I heard it's a panal lottery again. Turning it to the side has the blacks turn grey fairly quickly.

mturco

Got the Z1 in today. Not very exciting. I thought this guy was waterproof but I guess not as it has a standard headphone jack. Looks pretty much identical to the Z. Screen hasn't improved much over the Z but I heard it's a panal lottery again. Turning it to the side has the blacks turn grey fairly quickly.

It is waterproof despite the exposed jack. Multiple phones have done this and I have no idea how haha.

That's a shame about the screen though. You'd think they would have read a few Z reviews.

It is waterproof despite the exposed jack. Multiple phones have done this and I have no idea how haha.

That's a shame about the screen though. You'd think they would have read a few Z reviews.

Well ours is just a specific store demo so I think we got the shit end of the stick, I'm sure retail versions will be better.

Interesting about it still being waterproof.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've never paid for a text message plan for years. Google Voice has made that possible. I can text, people can text me, I pay nothing. That integrated with Hangouts would be ideal. It would be open, seamless, and easy.

I doubt that October 15 date. We need two weeks of a lead time for a press event.

mturco

Well ours is just a specific store demo so I think we got the shit end of the stick, I'm sure retail versions will be better.

Interesting about it still being waterproof.

Yeah it's cool. The other phone that does it is the Galaxy S4 Active I believe. Must be some kind of coating they apply. It'd be awesome if this eventually became a standard feature of all phones.

I agree, but the Nexus 7 and 4.3 got a formal press event, and those definitely didn't warrant one (especially 4.3).

The Nexus 5 and 4.4 are much bigger deals.

I think press events for yearly updates are becoming a chore, unless they got something truly revolutionary to announce. Lets be honest, who was truly excited for the last Google, HTC, Samsung, Microsoft or Sony conference? When you listen to some podcasts, you can hear bloggers from big media outlets basically fight not to cover some particular event. Even Apple events feel like a press conference for the latest Call of Duty. It's just nothing special anymore. Then you have stupid shit like Nokia having everyone fly to Dubai for devices that leaked way ahead of the event (and again, aren't anything special).

Just send out press kits, some money bags, give the press a week or two and lift an embargo.

snacknuts

we all knew her
But it is an all in one solution app. I use one app, and I know everyone on my contact list is going to receive my message one way or another and I don't have to think about what they're using. It's guaranteed that every iPhone user on my contact list has iMessage and anyone who doesn't gets a SMS.

I fail to see how your description of iMessage is any different than if I were using the default messaging app on my Galaxy Nexus, except that some of your messages are sent as SMS and some are not.

With Android, there is no solution that every Android user has, so I'm either now sending SMS to all Android users and all iPhone users, or I'm jumping around between apps hoping that the other person is on that third party service. That's worse.

Almost every Android user has Hangouts, which you can also use on your iPhone. And EVERY Android user has some sort of default messaging app for SMS/MMS. They can use that to send messages to users of phones on all platforms. Why do you have to jump around from app to app? I'm not trying to be combative or difficult; I genuinely don't understand what you're saying.

The notion that iMessage is constantly broken is silly too. As said above, you can turn off SMS in iMessage if you don't want to use SMS.

And the notion that iMessage fails a lot is not silly. I had a 4S for eight months and it failed very often. I'm glad that it apparently works better for you, maybe they've improved the reliability. I eventually stopped using it altogether in favor of Google Voice because it was so prone to failure.

mturco

I think press events for yearly updates are becoming a chore, unless they got something truly revolutionary to announce. Lets be honest, who was truly excited for the last Google, HTC, Samsung, Microsoft or Sony conference? When you listen to some podcasts, you can hear bloggers from big media outlets basically fight not to cover some particular event. Even Apple events feel like a press conference for the latest Call of Duty. It's just nothing special anymore. Then you have stupid shit like Nokia having everyone fly to Dubai for devices that leaked way ahead of the event (and again, aren't anything special).

Just send out press kits, some money bags, give the press a week or two and lift an embargo.
Yeah this year's press events have all been extremely boring. I/O 2012 was pretty incredible though. We got 4.1 (including slow motion videos of Project Butter), the original Nexus 7, and Google Glass demoed in an insane way. Not a bad press event. This year has just been lame. I don't think we need to do away with events altogether though.

I fail to see how your description of iMessage is any different than if I were using the default messaging app on my Galaxy Nexus, except that some of your messages are sent as SMS and some are not.

And the notion that iMessage fails a lot is not silly. I had a 4S for eight months and it failed very often. I'm glad that it apparently works better for you, maybe they've improved the reliability. I eventually stopped using it altogether in favor of Google Voice because it was so prone to failure.
Google is way better at cloud services than Apple though. There's no reason to believe a similar solution by Google would fail like iMessage does at all.

Blackhead

Redarse
I am. I really, really, really want a hardware option for scrolling and Pressy might be a solution. Perhaps 'click for scroll to top of page' and 'double click for scroll to bottom of page' will be implemented

I heard there was an iMesssage problem with iOS7 but wasn't that a server issue? I really have no experience with iMessage since iOS7 was released, but prior to that it was ace and I have no reason to think that Apple won't fix whatever problem it was and it'll go back to being normal. Any of these third party services can experience server issues for bugs too.
I only picked those examples from the past week. I'm just surprised to hear that you've never had problems when there is an iMessage outage every other month. Apple isn't very good at online services.

Talon

I am. I really, really, really want a hardware option for scrolling and Pressy might be a solution. Perhaps 'click for scroll to top of page' and 'double click for scroll to bottom of page' will be implemented
It's pretty silly that Android doesn't have this built-in. I double tap the top of the screen out of instinct when I'm switching between platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom