• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

I am. I really, really, really want a hardware option for scrolling and Pressy might be a solution. Perhaps 'click for scroll to top of page' and 'double click for scroll to bottom of page' will be implemented

Has there been any indication that this is possible on Android without specifically coding support for it into each app? Have there been any custom ROMs which have this feature? I feel that if this were possible then someone would have done it by now, but I don't recall seeing anything like it.

Talon

Has there been any indication that this is possible on Android without specifically coding support for it into each app? Have there been any custom ROMs which have this feature? I feel that if this were possible then someone would have done it by now, but I don't recall seeing anything like it.
There's probably some Apple patent that's hindering them from doing a similar solution.

I actually just now found a pretty nerdy read on it.
By default, the framework provides basic support for Views that wish to internally scroll their content and draw scrollbars. For instance, you can scrollTo(int, int)). While this works perfectly with ScrollView it doesn’t with ListView nor WebView nor my beloved MapView. Another example of this confusion is the ViewTreeObserver.OnScrollListener that works perfectly on all kinds of scrollable content but doesn’t provide you with the container that scrolled. Once again, Google Maps Android API v2 MapView is an exception and won’t fire the callback when being scrolled or zoomed. Finally, there are some inconsistencies. For instance, AbsListView.OnScrollListener lets you listen to AbsListView scrolls but there is no View.OnScrollListener counterpart. If you want to listen to scrolls at the View level, you’ll need to override the onScrollChanged(int, int, int, int) method.

Put simply, Android offers several scroll containers, but no consistent way to formalize scrolling and notify the developer. Even if you can determine if a View is a scroll container by using View.setScrollContainer(boolean)1, there is absolutely no way to develop a unified algorithm that would scroll your container to its top with a single call to View.scrollTo(0, 0).

On the other side, iOS simplified the problem by making sure all scrollable containers are unified via a UIScrollView - the base class containing the “scrolling” and “scroll-to-top” implementation. The framework offers a bunch of scrollable containers: UITextView, UITableView, UIWebView, MKMapView, etc. that all inherit or encapsulate a UIScrollView. By factorizing the scrolling behavior, iOS ensure that the scrolling physics (velocity, friction, bouncing, etc.) are consistent throughout iOS apps and guarantee all scrollable content can be scrolled back to the top.

It appears that not being able to implement a global scroll-to-top gesture is not really a problem. Indeed, most issues can be solved at the application level using components that are generally way more specific to the data displayed by your app. It obviously requires more work than relying on the default system’s behavior and doesn’t provide a consistent and coherent gesture throughout the platform. But, why would I need a scroll-to-top gesture in the Contacts iOS app if it also offers an index on the right?

Ultimately, the scroll content issue Android suffers from at the API level has no impact on the UI. If you are complaining about the feature missing, you should probably notify the developer his/her app needs some enhancements. The framework includes out-of-the-box workarounds and components that prevent the user from flinging for eternity trying to reach the top of your scrollable container:
MOAR CONTAINERS

I find the scrolling acceleration to be so fast on Android that you can usually get to the top in something like 3 fast swipes. Still not ideal but for one handed use, I'm not going to be able to reach the top on my Nexus 4 anyways lol.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MKBHD is claiming the the October 15th date is true. It looks like it may just be a news dump.

LtNDbKz.png

Husker86

But it is an all in one solution app. I use one app, and I know everyone on my contact list is going to receive my message one way or another and I don't have to think about what they're using. It's guaranteed that every iPhone user on my contact list has iMessage and anyone who doesn't gets a SMS.

And this has been my "issue" with iMessage. Yeah, the concept works fine and is seamless (let's just assume that as fact, even though it has gone down frequently since it has launched). If you are paying for texts anyway, who gives a shit if it sends through iMessage instead of SMS? What benefit are you receiving from iMessage? Slightly better quality photos?

Hangouts is great because I can reply to people from any computer I'm at, as well as any portable device I will ever have. Platform ubiquity is absolutely essential.

The downside...well, not everyone is using it. The people I message most are using it now though, after I showed them the benefits.

Groof

A tesco express near St Paul's. Funny enough I only went there tonight as my train line is delayed and had to walk to another station lol

Alright I'll tell her to look around. I might be going to London by the end of the month, reckon they'd still be sold?

Yes there is fragmentation just as you pointed out. There are a number of services out there that you can pick from to get free messaging, but not everyone is on those services. On top of that, none of those services integrate SMS as a default option. So if you want to message someone, you have to go through a free service, see if that person is on there, if not, exit that app and then go send a sms. That's fragmentation when iMessage is an all in one don't have to worry about it solution. I know when I'm sending an SMS or when I'm sending an iMessage too since it indicates to you what you're doing if you want to pay attention to it. Green is SMS, iMessage is Blue. It's pretty simple.

yeah, it's the biggest non-issue i've ever seen. people are always complaining about it everywhere, but it never actually gains any wide level of traction. people are basically okay with the inconvenience because they have an iPhone. any other userbase would just not be okay with that...

tzare

SMS plans? Aren't unlimited SMS built into most plans nowadays? Mine is.
i have 1000 free sms a month, but most carriers here in Spain do not include sms in their plans, some do but many don't so it it is an issue for many, that may be different depending on which countries of carriers people have. And mms are expensive as fuck, 1.20€ each for Vodafone Spain. So I'd rather have total control of what I send. Whatsapp has the fouble check thing to be sure the message has been delivered, so if someone is without data for whatever reason, I can text if I wish.

It's an awful idea.

SMS is a better protocol than any 3G/LTE data based one. There is no theoretical way around this - because by the time a data connection is established to send a message then an SMS would have already gone.

All you're getting is a messaging system that isn't an openly implementable standard across all handsets and is intrinsically less reliable.

The few instances where a 3G/LTE data based messaging system would be worthwhile (which is texting abroad, basically) would be better handled by a seperate application that didn't also screw up messaging locally.

sure, if you live in the middle of nowhere with Satellite internet, you would often be faced with scenarios of no cellular service and ample internet service, but that is the opposite of normal.

SimleuqiR

Nope. He just tweeted that he doesn't know anything, official or otherwise. It was just based on the Google Launchpad rumors.

Nothing to see here, sadly.

My Google wallet has been ready since they leaked the phone on the kitkat lawn video.

I know the phone will be officially announced this month. But I have a feeling we'll have to wait until November to actually own it.

Nicktendo86

Alright I'll tell her to look around. I might be going to London by the end of the month, reckon they'd still be sold?
Yeah I think so, the competition is going on until April I think and stores are just getting the android stock in so you should be safe!

more mobile moneyhats, Tablet version of Twitter is a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition exclusive for now

Other non-Samsung tablets to receive the updated UI 'by the end of the year'

Twitter has finally announced that it has developed a tablet-optimized version of its Android app, but there's a big caveat if you're wanting to get your hands on it now. Taking to its official blog, Twitter explained all of the great benefits of its new design that takes advantage of larger tablet screens ... but here's the catch, it is exclusive to the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.
Samsung gonna samsung.

Toki767

At least the year is almost over I guess. It's ridiculous how long it's taken Twitter to even make anything Android related. They made a Windows Phone version with all their design language before even coming close to Android's design.

On the bright side, at least they aren't Facebook.

Lite's Good!

or something like that
Don't let the name fool you - the LG G Pro Lite isn't a small phone. This handset has a 5.5-inch screen, a 3,140mAh battery, dual SIM slots, and its own stylus. That means the G Pro Lite is just as large as the Optimus G Pro itself. What makes it "lite" then? The specs. The new handset drops from a quad-core processor to a dual-core processor, and with a 960 x 540 resolution, you can forget watching the 1080p content the original device could handle. 32GB of internal storage has changed into 8GB, and the 2GB of RAM has been sliced in half. So the G Pro isn't slimmer, just slower and less pleasant to look at.

xmuDzJ4.jpg

yeah, it's the biggest non-issue i've ever seen. people are always complaining about it everywhere, but it never actually gains any wide level of traction. people are basically okay with the inconvenience because they have an iPhone. any other userbase would just not be okay with that...

Whatsapp users don't seem to complain about never knowing if the message got to the other end. So no, even if what you claim is true, which honestly I don't think it's nearly as unreliable as you claim, then it's not true that no other userbase doesn't tolerate it. My first experience with Whatsapp was a lost message.

And this has been my "issue" with iMessage. Yeah, the concept works fine and is seamless (let's just assume that as fact, even though it has gone down frequently since it has launched). If you are paying for texts anyway, who gives a shit if it sends through iMessage instead of SMS? What benefit are you receiving from iMessage? Slightly better quality photos?

Hangouts is great because I can reply to people from any computer I'm at, as well as any portable device I will ever have. Platform ubiquity is absolutely essential.

The downside...well, not everyone is using it. The people I message most are using it now though, after I showed them the benefits.

I have a set limit on the number of texts that I pay for in my texting plan. I pay for a texting plan because it's useful but anything that helps me avoid using up one of my prepaid texts is helpful. So I give a shit about how it's being sent. The benefit I get out of iMessage is I use one app to do all my messaging, and it all seamlessly works. I don't have to know what the other person has at the other end as iMessage takes cares of it for me. Hangouts is nice in concept, but it's still a work in progress. Honest question, does everyone using an Android phone automatically have Hangouts running? Because if it's not active in the background by default, that is then one step behind iMessage. The second thing would be phone number association which it does not do now, so that's another step behind. Platform ubiquity is great if most people are using it, but the fact is the only thing that is standard among phones is SMS, otherwise everything else is fragmented. That downside you list is a pretty damn big downside.

Talon

iMessage is a lock-in feature. If you use an iPhone, iPad and Mac, it's fantastic because your iMessages are synced.

Apple wants to make it painful for you to leave the platform at any of those three points and rewarding to stay within the ecosystem. Frankly, it's clever. It seems super minor, but it's a pretty enticing feature.

Hangouts would be the absolute opposite; however, Apple won't allow Hangouts to "own" SMS because that's a device layer process in iOS.

Google and Apple come to features from different positions. Apple is all about tight vertical integration. Google is all about getting you to use their services...but also dabbling in vertical integration. Microsoft presumably is going to try to leverage Skype as a ubiquitous Windows-native feature...although Skype hasn't done anything other than suck ass since Microsoft bought them (hooray bitching about free services that work great 99% of the time, allowing you to call anyone in the world for free...he said without a hint of irony).

Weird times we live in.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'll give MS kudos for keeping the Skype Linux client going, but yeah, otherwise Skype's been pretty meh to bad since they got bought. Well, they've been redesigning the Windows UI to be flatter, which has been nice I guess. Still kind of overcomplicated, though.

I'll give MS kudos for keeping the Skype Linux client going, but yeah, otherwise Skype's been pretty meh to bad since they got bought. Well, they've been redesigning the Windows UI to be flatter, which has been nice I guess. Still kind of overcomplicated, though.

why give kudos to something they have to do because the EU made them agree to it as a condition of purchase?

Talon

The app is split into Metro and Desktop editions.

The latter hasn't been updated other than to include ads and 4K calling.

The Metro app...doesn't show you notifications in Desktop mode at all - last I used it.

Hey guys, I have a quick question and I wonder if someone here might be able to advise: can anyone recommend a good volume increase app from Google Play? I've tried trials for a half dozen or so and none of them make any difference at all. It's to use on my first gen Nexus 7, as I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube in the evening when I'm cleaning the kitchen, but the volume is a little too low. My Galaxy S3 is much better in this regard. I'll gladly pay a few pounds if it does the job.

Samsung is ruining Android.

First they butcher the UI and any semblance of UI design
Then they convince millions of people that Android = laggy, ugly, plastic
Now they are moneyhatting devs and hardware manufacturers to go exclusive

I'm only half joking but if the Nexus program ever disappeared I would be back on the iPhone so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom