• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Samsung is ruining Android.

First they butcher the UI and any semblance of UI design
Then they convince millions of people that Android = laggy, ugly, plastic
Now they are moneyhatting devs and hardware manufacturers to go exclusive

I'm only half joking but if the Nexus program ever disappeared I would be back on the iPhone so fast.

Agreed. Either that or it's a trip to ROM City.

52% of the country has Android phones. That's a market that’s been dominated by OEM ROMs. Let's take some of that market. I call it "ROM City."

It's, like, "Hey, you want to go to XDA?" "Yeah, I don’t have an iPhone." I call it "Root City."

How do we filter out the iPhone users? We don’t let them in.

This goes for the WP7 users, too. Because sometimes the ROM makers are tapped out. But check your lease, man. Because you're living in **** City.

Samsung is ruining Android.

First they butcher the UI and any semblance of UI design
Then they convince millions of people that Android = laggy, ugly, plastic
Now they are moneyhatting devs and hardware manufacturers to go exclusive

I'm only half joking but if the Nexus program ever disappeared I would be back on the iPhone so fast.
Google is ruining Android by being open.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google is ruining Android by being open.

YGzDPPi.gif
YGzDPPi.gif
YGzDPPi.gif

best Korea firing on all cylinders today.

Pantech Vega Secret Note includes fingerprint reader, stylus and the kitchen sink

jJrBc12.jpg

Don't look now, but Pantech just managed to combine five hot smartphone trends in one device. Its new, 5.9-inch Vega Secret Note centers on a fingerprint reader that hides personal info. However, that's just the start of a feature list that includes seemingly every major trick we've seen in the past few months -- there's also pen input, a rear touch sensor, LTE-Advanced data and an optional windowed front cover. It's no slouch in the performance department, either. On top of its big 1080p screen, the Vega Secret Note packs a Snapdragon 800 chip, 3GB of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera, a 2-megapixel front shooter and 32GB of storage with USB host support. Pantech hasn't said when its new flagship arrives, although it should reach all three major South Korean carriers for an estimated 900,000 won ($839) off-contract.
3GB RAM and 32GB storage the new normal? will we hit 4GB in the Note 4 or before...

Eanan

Been using pacman rom for the past couple of days on my nexus 4 and am pleasantly surprised at how well it runs. Haven't noticed any hit on battery life also. Shame it cant run with franco kernel, but I assume thats because of the CM portion of the rom.

For those that dont know; its a rom that takes the best features and aspects of all the 3 major roms; PA, CM & AOKP.

Cipherr

Agreed. Either that or it's a trip to ROM City.

Id buy Motorola. I have used an X, and its pretty much the only time I have used a skin since discovering vanilla Android that didn't offend me. It felt ALOT like stock all around, and I like the software.

Gannd

Banned
Id buy Motorola. I have used an X, and its pretty much the only time I have used a skin since discovering vanilla Android that didn't offend me. It felt ALOT like stock all around, and I like the software.

It isn't a skin. It is stock except for some small enhancements but they didn't skin the OS.

wilflare

Personally, I don't like plastic, touchwiz, and SAMOLED.

Yes, several manufactures cheat on benchmarks but they do it the most. For example, HTC cheats on 4 out of the 7 Anandtech tests while Samsung tends to cheat on 6 of them with newer devices.

the Note 3 does look pretty okay though... doesnt have the plasticky feel of the Note 2, etc

Threi

notag
I like plastic and wish more phones had it tbh (especially the soft rubbery grippy plastic like on the nexus 7)

I'll take a little durability over superficial "sleekness" anyday.

tino

Banned
why is there such a hate for Samsung here
-hugs his Note 3- :(

I think it has to do with Samsung doesn't market its strength (light, replacement back, large battery, SD card etc etc) but focus on its weakness (launcher, gimmick features, copycat antic, I-can't-believe-its-not-leather etc etc).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gotta say, after using it for awhile, the xperia SP is not bad at all for a mid-tier phone. Not bad at all.

Certainly a step up from my 3GS.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well yeah. :p Still worked fine though, other than an incredibly loose audio jack. The SP was nearly an impulse purchase after getting sick of it.

Also while I don't mind iOS it's nice to finally make the switch to Android for my phone instead of just using it on my tablet. Love the flexibility.

I think it has to do with Samsung doesn't market its strength (light, replacement back, large battery, SD card etc etc) but focus on its weakness (launcher, gimmick features, copycat antic, I-can't-believe-its-not-leather etc etc).

they always focus on what's new. new features, new back texture, etc... with the Note 3 they didn't even go over the new in GS4 stuff...

tr4656

Well yeah. :p Still worked fine though, other than an incredibly loose audio jack. The SP was nearly an impulse purchase after getting sick of it.

Also while I don't mind iOS it's nice to finally make the switch to Android for my phone instead of just using it on my tablet. Love the flexibility.
Yeah, the flexibility is nice although I still do enjoy using iOS as well. Some of the app feels better built there.

Oh I will laugh. I've seen more broken screens on Galaxy phones than any other phone I've seen. By a BIG margin.
Agreed.

tino

Banned
Hey guys, I have a quick question and I wonder if someone here might be able to advise: can anyone recommend a good volume increase app from Google Play? I've tried trials for a half dozen or so and none of them make any difference at all. It's to use on my first gen Nexus 7, as I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube in the evening when I'm cleaning the kitchen, but the volume is a little too low. My Galaxy S3 is much better in this regard. I'll gladly pay a few pounds if it does the job.

You are better of getting a bluetooth stereo earphones. I got a Lenovo for 25 recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom