• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Does the job, but I have to drag my music like some animal. There has to be an easier way?

I use the GMusic app on my pc. No dragging. Automatically uploads in the background and matches all music thats on the Play Store so it doesn't have to upload every track. You can still drag and drop if you want, but the syncing is how I got my 15k or so tracks online with it in the beginning.

zedge

Oh I will laugh. I've seen more broken screens on Galaxy phones than any other phone I've seen. By a BIG margin.

Well when theres millions of Galaxy S owners and 10 HTC owners thats bound to happen. :)

Themer is pretty neat, wasnt too crazy for the themes when it started, will have to check it out again.

there's that new Sprint 4GLTE logo i was talking about in the notification bar...

@evleaks Samsung Galaxy S 4 mini, in black mist and white frost, for Sprint pic.twitter.com/oNP1wKvyDE

zrHty4s.png

Threi

notag
The front isn't glass?
Yes the front is still glass. If you drop it from anywhere except face-down however it is less likely to break. I like my nexus 4 and think the glass back is pretty but it's a stupid design decision. That extra bit of "style" is not worth the added fragility (which ironically is alleviated by using a case that hides the glass back)

Okay but aluminum/metal != glass.
Yes but that material is far more slippery in your hands and thus make the phone more prone to accidental drops.

That is my issue with modern phones. They are being designed more to look good in press photos than to actually be used.

tr4656

Yes but that material is far more slippery in your hands and thus make the phone more prone to accidental drops.

That is my issue with modern phones. They are being designed more to look good in press photos than to actually be used.

I've used a HTC One and an iPhone 5 without a case and it feels really solid. I've never felt that it would actually slip out at all.

Okay but aluminum/metal != glass.

materials only tell half the story... some devices, like the HTC One series, have build quality and straight up design issues making it riskier, stuff like the boomsound speakers popping out and not being able to be properly re-seated once popped out, and just not being built well in general, gaps in their 'zerogap' construction, etc... plus the metals used in most phones are very susceptible to denting... honestly, metal is a good material for an internal structure for rigidity, but terrible for the exterior of a phone.

looks great on the shelf and makes for great PR though!

Guys, there's a right way and a wrong way to do plastic. Right = HTC One X, Moto X, Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 7 (2013), Sony Xperia ZL, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, Lumia 920. Wrong = Samsung Galaxy everything after the S2.

Threi

notag
Well note that when i say plastic i always refer to the nexus 7. That is the ideal material for me (and it looks like nexus 5 is following suit)

DXPett1

Bestskinsever front and rear skin plus official bumper = my nexus 4 is like brand new AND I get to admire the pretty back (just not the svelte shape :( )

wilflare

Well note that when i say plastic i always refer to the nexus 7. That is the ideal material for me (and it looks like nexus 5 is following suit)

Nokia Lumia line's "plastic" seems pretty good and solid too

I am honestly quite pleased with how my Note 3 looks

tino

Banned
Yes the front is still glass. If you drop it from anywhere except face-down however it is less likely to break. I like my nexus 4 and think the glass back is pretty but it's a stupid design decision. That extra bit of "style" is not worth the added fragility (which ironically is alleviated by using a case that hides the glass back)

It probably caused more by improper and cheap design. I don't remember seeing any Xperia Z cracking.

AMUSIX

OK, so for the past year or so, my wife has always found people's shattered iphones to be entertaining. Mostly because she's managed to drop her GalaxyS3 countless times, without the screen ever breaking.

Well, karma has caught up to her, and now she's got a shattered screen. Which means new phone. So, what's the consensus these days. Do we just move her to the S4 (though I don't think she likes the constant size increases, or the S4's little flap) or should I get her a Nexus? Or is there another option?

I know she wants to stay with Android, and that's about it.

No suggestions for a good music player?

By far the best one I've used in terms of interface is DoubleTwist, but the sound lacks grunt. Best one I've used in terms of sound quality is PowerAmp, but the interface is pretty horrible. The best compromise is Google Music, which is what I tend to use.

Nicktendo86

he only issue I have with the iPhone 5, build quality wise, is that aluminium is a very soft metal and as the phone is quite tall and thin is is very easy to bend if sat on.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, themer is disappointingly crashy if you want to do such things as change the wallpapers of the current theme. Might wait for them to fix that first.

Husker86

OK, so for the past year or so, my wife has always found people's shattered iphones to be entertaining. Mostly because she's managed to drop her GalaxyS3 countless times, without the screen ever breaking.

Well, karma has caught up to her, and now she's got a shattered screen. Which means new phone. So, what's the consensus these days. Do we just move her to the S4 (though I don't think she likes the constant size increases, or the S4's little flap) or should I get her a Nexus? Or is there another option?

What little flap?

snacknuts

we all knew her

The S4 is smaller than the S3. The only thing that's bigger is the screen.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So the G2 battery is amazing. First day of use when buying it, 4:15 screen time, 24 hour battery. And that's with a few gb of downloads for all the app/updates and all the fiddling of a first day.

Great first impression after the first 24 hours.

gutshot

If that's real, I really like it.
The new launcher design is great, love the transparent background and new phone icon design.

Yeah, it looks very nice. Also this is cool, if true:

You can start Google Search by saying "Ok Google" directly from the homescreen. Android 4.4 KitKat should be in "always listening" mode, just like the Moto X.

panda21

wow that looks awesome. i like the new location settings thing too.

little disappointed by the screens of the settings though because it looks like its still holo dark.

gutshot

No currents or gallery or messenger apps? Fonts look a bit odd too? I'm saying fake

Messaging is being replaced by Hangouts. Gallery replaced by Google Photos, I'm guessing? Not sure about Currents. Maybe Google isn't pre-installing that on Nexus devices any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom