• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

n5impostboh.jpg

Okay this screenshot convinces me it's all fake. Unless HTC is now in charge of AOSP. Standalone bottom menu button? Come on.

n5impostboh.jpg

Okay this screenshot convinces me it's all fake. Unless HTC is now in charge of AOSP. Standalone bottom menu button? Come on.

Stock 4.3 still has standalone bottom menu button under bluetooth settings.

Edit: it would follow current design guidelines as there is an on/off toggle on the top of page, so menu button gets relegated to bottom corner of page, ie. Wifi and bluetooth settings.

wilflare

this is good news!
hopefully the next thing they add is a Notification Center of sort... so I can easily manage what notifications to turn on or off (to be honest, iOS does this pretty well)

Those leaked pics look nice, but I'd much prefer the widgets to still be in the drawer. They could just allow a long press on the home screen as well, instead of removing them from the drawer. I don't like the iOS style page indicator either. The line that slid across at the bottom looked better. Settings look fine to me based on those pictures. I've never had a problem with current Holo dark. I'll admit, though, I'd prefer something like a gray background for Holo Dark instead of that gradient. But eh, not a big deal.

Nicktendo86

Calling those screens fake, the downloads icon is the same old one when we have already seen the new one on android police. Also, why only 4x5 app draw grid?

Their redesign looks fine to me.

They made the icons flatter, the background of the app drawer transparent and the icons in the notification bar white. The ugly dark side of Holo is still present throughout the OS, including the blue switches, which don't really match with the rest of the OS and core apps anymore.

But it's Google, they're not under pressure from anymore and can take all the time they need to fix up that design mess.

Nicktendo86

OK so looks like that leak is genuine. There is a LOT there I really do not like. Removal of widgets from app draw? Horrible phone icon?

HOLO LIGHT ON EEEEEEEEEEEVERYTHIIIIIIIIIIIING

I'm not saying it's the best thing in tech and mobile design, but it's definitely the best design Google has right now and if they can execute it well enough, I wouldn't mind using a Nexus phone again.

e: Question for the people in ROM City. Is there any ROM that skins the settings menu to Holo Light?

Doopliss

They made the icons flatter, the background of the app drawer transparent and the icons in the notification bar white. The ugly dark side of Holo is still present throughout the OS, including the blue switches, which don't really match with the rest of the OS and core apps anymore.

But it's Google, they're not under pressure from anymore and can take all the time they need to fix up that design mess.
They got rid of the high contrast blue/black action bar but you still complain about a tiny button. You must really dislike blue.

Edit: Just also want to add that the app drawer and lock screen appear to have their own wallpaper separate from the homescreen's.

Groof

Man I'm really hoping we're getting more than just that in terms of graphical overhaul. From when did they say this build was?

SHIT

Banned
Love the Note 3. Heard rumours around it not selling well.

Disappointed and pretty shocked actually. Note II sold great.

I think most of those people are in contract and are still holding on to their note IIs, just like what I planned to do because the note II is still pretty friggin awesome.

can't justify (side-grading) for 700$ + tax
vs a clear upgrade from my galaxy nexus and current note II with unlimited 4g vzw and even then I'd only paid 299$ using someone elses 2gb data plan upgrade.

Nicktendo86

Man, I'd be sorely disappointed if that's it. Some of these settings and upgrades are great, don't get me wrong. But I don't want to look at dark menus anymore. :(

Also this. It looks real funky. In a bad way.
Taking the widgets out of the app draw and back to long pressing the home screen is a massive backstep as well, I mean why? What's the point? Also those huge app icons on a 4 x 5 grid look horrible compared to the 5 x 5 nexus 4 app draw.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They got rid of the high contrast blue/black action bar but you still complain about a tiny button. You must really dislike blue.

Edit: Just also want to add that the app drawer and lock screen appear to have their own wallpaper separate from the homescreen's.

I love blue, but this is just inconsistent. It stands out because of this, and you figure Google would have noticed.

Talon

Taking the widgets out of the app draw and back to long pressing the home screen is a massive backstep as well, I mean why? What's the point? Also those huge app icons on a 4 x 5 grid look horrible compared to the 5 x 5 nexus 4 app draw.
Let's take a step back on the word "horrible," friendo.

It looks a little goofy on this grainy screenshot, but we'll have to wait until we see it on devices.
I love blue, but this is just inconsistent. It stands out because of this, and you figure Google would have noticed.
If you want to complain about inconsistencies, look at the icon set. This is still Google.

Nicktendo86

Let's take a step back on the word "horrible," friendo.

It looks a little goofy on this grainy screenshot, but we'll have to wait until we see it on devices.

If you want to complain about inconsistencies, look at the icon set. This is still Google.
I know I know, there are supposed to be loads of new animations as well. Need to see HQ video I suppose but still, meh.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Widgets in the drawer were the worst. Was super fun trying to add Zooper widget and having to rescroll every time I fucked up the widget.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
n5-apps.jpg

Looks like circles are going to be the new icon guideline (cribbing from Firefox OS?) Look at Google and Google Settings and compare to Google+ (which it looks like in today's version.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also, I wonder if Motorola was given a heads up about the transparent navbar or if the Android team got inspiration from them.

Moto-X-high-res-640x640.png

Nicktendo86

n5-apps.jpg

Looks like circles are going to be the new icon guideline (cribbing from Firefox OS?) Look at Google and Google Settings and compare to Google+ (which it looks like in today's version.)
Does it bug anyone else that the Google settings and Google search app circles are completely different sizes, and the Google+ icon is a square? My ocd will go of the chart.

Groof

Does it bug anyone else that the Google settings and Google search app circles are completely different sizes, and the Google+ icon is a square? My ocd will go of the chart.

No you're not alone. There's some really strange iconography going on in these screens

Talon

The Google Photo icon too.

Oh, well. This is why we use Android: because we can swap all the icons.

SimleuqiR

I'm so used to the Stark icon pack that in the end it won't matter.

I may use the phone for a bit with the standard icons so I can see what's new, but I will eventually use Novalauncher and the Stark icons by default.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Google to make big changes to tablet apps on Play Store:
The first of two changes affects the top lists in the Play Store app. That means the Top Paid, Top Free, Top Grossing, Top New Paid, Top New Free, and Trending. These lists will now default to showing apps that meet Google's tablet design guidelines. The "Designed for tablets" view is only a suggestion, though. Users can still switch over to see all apps.

The other change will make it easier to tell if the app you're looking at has been developed with tablets in mind. Any app or game that isn't up to snuff will get a "Designed for phones" label slapped on it. You'll still be able to view and install anything, but you'll have an idea if the app has met some basic requirements.
Android Police

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The transparent navigation button area is long overdue. Even though I use pie.

October 15... I'll believe it when I see it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I got my new Nexus 7. 1080p City.
wAvFoG6.png

It's doing like 20 download/installing things at once and isn't slowing down a damn bit. GOTDAAMN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom