• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
What if the massive ring around the camera on the Nexus 5 is magnetic so you can attach different lenses to it kinda like this?

uTCIWVR.jpg

I just can't understand why they would put a massive ring around the lens.

I had a generic one of these. Complete useless. Everything is blurry. Blurry everywhere!

catmincer

I hope this is the right thread to ask, but I'm looking for a new phone to replace my galaxy s2, most likely one of the flagship phone from many smartphone maker in the market. I've only been looking at Xperia Z1 since I really like the look of it, just found out the official price in my country and it is pretty expensive, I can afford it, but I want to look for some alternatives. sleek design, good camera and nice screen is preferred compared to battery life, weight or some other category.

any suggestion is appreciated. thanks

HTC One has an excellent screen, decent camera and looks nice. Original Xperia Z is quite cheap now too.

Zapages

ARGH!!! ATT's insurance company just told me that I will have pay 200 dollars to replace my old Galaxy S2.

My Galaxy S2 keeps on restarting for some odd reason and it keeps on draining the battery. I did not root the phone.

So what should I do?! :( I really did not want to upgrade my phone because I don't like any of the new phones. I want to wait for 64 bit Android phones or something that has a good battery life and is not phone tablet aka Note 3 or LG G2. :|

What can I do guys?

Groof

It looks like the stock Launcher will come to the play store as the Google Experience: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...re-some-things-we-are-expecting-to-see-in-it/
THAT DIALER ICON IS SO FUCKING UUUUUUUUUUUHG-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ARGH!!! ATT's insurance company just told me that I will have pay 200 dollars to replace my old Galaxy S2.

My Galaxy S2 keeps on restarting for some odd reason and it keeps on draining the battery. I did not root the phone.

So what should I do?! :( I really did not want to upgrade my phone because I don't like any of the new phones. I want to wait for 64 bit Android phones or something that has a good battery life and is not phone tablet aka Note 3 or LG G2. :|

What can I do guys?

lol the G2 isn't even that big. Go try it out, and trust me when I say that this isn't too bad of a place to jump in.

Zapages

How good is LG in updating their Android versions. Also the back rocker for sound seems weird.

Do any of you guys own LG G2?

Also I have seen ATT version has battery drain issues... :(

Groof

How good is LG in updating their Android versions. Also the back rocker for sound seems weird.

From what I've gathered LG has been rather weak in the updating department. Don't know however as I have never owned an LG phone other than the N4, and that's handled by Google.
There's this one dude in the thread that has a G2 and he posted some of the most amazing battery stats I've ever seen a couple of pages back.

tino

Banned

What can I do guys?

Buy an used S2 for about 100?

dengatron

i got my lg g2 yesterday and it started at 78% and is now at 60% with 2.5 hours screen on time and 35 hours remaining batery life. i came from a galaxy nexus, so i'm pleased.

verizon, if it matters.

wilflare

i got my lg g2 yesterday and it started at 78% and is now at 60% with 2.5 hours screen on time and 35 hours remaining batery life. i came from a galaxy nexus, so i'm pleased.

verizon, if it matters.

I'm really curious how the LG G2 achieves such insane battery life :O

What can I do guys?

THAT DIALER ICON IS SO FUCKING UUUUUUUUUUUHG-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

lol the G2 isn't even that big. Go try it out, and trust me when I say that this isn't too bad of a place to jump in.

I'm coming from an iPhone 5, it isn't small but definitely not tablet big I think. Then again I have big hands, so makes it easier cuz of that? Here is a comparison picture.

ku-xlarge.jpg

LG G2 is my first LG phone. I did hear they are rather slow in getting them updated.

verizon, if it matters.

I've had my G2 for a little over a week and the battery on this thing is a beast. Coming from an iPhone 5, I am very pleased. Easily lasts me a day and half where as I had to put my iPhone on charge almost twice a day. Runs out of juice by the evening.

G2 still surprises me.

wilflare

the more I think about it...
how did LG get the KnockOn functionality implemented on their phones (tap to wake) and still maintain such great battery life

mturco

I'm really curious how the LG G2 achieves such insane battery life :O

Anandtech went in to pretty good detail in their review.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7251/lg-g2-and-msm8974-snapdragon-800-a-quick-look/3

One of the things Qualcomm promised would come with Snapdragon 800 (8974) (and by extension the process improvement with 28nm HPM) was lower power consumption, especially versus Snapdragon 600 (8064). There are improvements throughout the overall Snapdragon 800 platform which help as well, newer PMIC (PM8941) and that newer modem block onboard as well, but overall platform power goes down in the lower performance states for Snapdragon 800. In addition the G2 has a few unique power saving features of its own, including display GRAM (Graphics RAM) which enables the equivalent of panel self refresh for the display. When the display is static, the G2 can run parts of the display subsystem and AP off and save power, which they purport increases the mixed use battery life case by 10 percent overall, and 26 percent compared to the actively refreshing display equivalent. In addition the G2 has a fairly sizable 3000 mAh 3.8V (11.4 watt-hour) battery which is stacked to get the most out of the rounded shape of the device, and utilizes LG's new SiO+ anode for increased energy density compared to the conventional graphite anode.

Nicktendo86

at this point, I'm kinda convinced the the G2 bests my Note 3 in battery life/optimization.
that Anandtech article is great! wonder if Samsung can implement any of that in an update
the question for me is will the nexus 5 implement these things! If so battery life will be great, even with a 2300mah battery.

zatara

I can vouch for the battery life on the g2 it's downright amazing. Also here are already some rom's for it on xda and someone is already making decent progress with cm on the verizon variant. I have a rom on mine and already some of the ui changes make it look better.

9YLtz2h.jpg

wilflare

I can vouch for the battery life on the g2 it's downright amazing. Also here are already some rom's for it on xda and someone is already making decent progress with cm on the verizon variant. I have a rom on mine and already some of the ui changes make it look better.

9YLtz2h.jpg

G2 was right there among the phones I was considering... but dang I decided to give it a pass due to LG's tendency for slow updates... I'm kinda regretting it now

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

What can I do guys?

Root the phone then and custom ROM it while you wait for a Nexus 5 announcement. Not worth the $200 to replace.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
AP say the new launcher is called the Google Experience and they say with high probability that it will be released the Play Store.
If that is true, it will give a Nexus "lite" look and feel to any compatible Android device.

Android Police

nexusae0_image_thumb35.png

Toki767

Google making their own launcher available on the Play Store sounds cool, but it wouldn't be able to fix things like clogged up notification drawers.

Nicktendo86

I just don't understand some of the changes. Why do we need a permenant Google now screen? Why have on empty screen all the time, why not do it like iOS and have it so if you move an app to the right a new screen will be made? Why take widgets out of the app draw? We need to see it for it all to make sense of course but I am a little baffled at the moment.

kinggroin

Banned
LG G2 has been a fantastic phone for the 3 days ive owned it.

I recommend everyone stop into their nearest candy shop, pick up a kitkat bar. Then, if budget permits, head to your local carrier's brick and mortar store and check out all the available devices before settling on the G2.

Groof

Doopliss

http://i.imgur.com/9YLtz2h.jpg
Multitasking button! Good job!

Azerty keyboard confirmed. Down with Qwerty!

reKon

Banned
I recently learned about Mightytext from the Android App thread I believe. I love this app and it works better than AirDroid for texting. I guess the only thing it doesn't include is ability to text over WiFi? It sucks for this company because hangouts is going to kill this.

tino

Banned
I recently learned about Mightytext from the Android App thread I believe. I love this app and it works better than AirDroid for texting. I guess the only thing it doesn't include is ability to text over WiFi? It sucks for this company because hangouts is going to kill this.

Google Voice is better.

tino

Banned
How? Doesn't that require you to use a different number? or is that just for the voice mail portion?

You can port your number to google. You can text in a browser. You have text conversation in a browser even if you forget to bring your phone.

reKon

Banned
You can port your number to google. You can text in a browser. You have text conversation in a browser even if you forget to bring your phone.

I would have to port my number to Google, teminate my mobile plan, and then create a new plan under a different number..

Cipherr

I would have to port my number to Google, teminate my mobile plan, and then create a new plan under a different number..

Yeah, I like GVoice and all, but its some sloppy shit unless you are.. like with Sprint or something. Its really fucking raggedy. I have noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo idea how they are going to complete the final merger of GVoice into Hangouts now that SMS/MMS is completed.

Toki767

I played around with a G2 today and damn at that screen. The phone itself feels very nice in the hand and everything goes super fast. I now understand what Aaron from Phone Dog meant when he said sometimes the phone is too fast.

Eanan

Carbon ROM is hands down the best rom I've used. It's so damn stable and smooth. Its as lag free as stock android that was on my nexus 4.

Talon

Yeah, I like GVoice and all, but its some sloppy shit unless you are.. like with Sprint or something. Its really fucking raggedy. I have noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo idea how they are going to complete the final merger of GVoice into Hangouts now that SMS/MMS is completed.
I find it more likely that they just slit Google Voice's throat.

Cipherr

Update #2: It's possible that the Google Experience brand is going to include other components that you can install to get the Google experience on your device. That would certainly make sense, but at this time I have no evidence to back that up, so it's just speculation on my part

I wonder if there will be anything else. They are breaking apart so many components of the OS and putting them on the Play Store. The launcher being done the same way is pretty huge. If they did something with the settings menu somehow, and notifications, that would be insane. At that points nearly all of vanilla Android would be available piecemeal and could be loaded on any phone.

And don't even get me started on the way they can be updated bypassing the carriers. Damn man, I really really really like where they are going with this.

New phone icon is still ugly though.

iavi

I wonder if there will be anything else. They are breaking apart so many components of the OS and putting them on the Play Store. The launcher being done the same way is pretty huge. If they did something with the settings menu somehow, and notifications, that would be insane. At that points nearly all of vanilla Android would be available piecemeal and could be loaded on any phone.

And don't even get me started on the way they can be updated bypassing the carriers. Damn man, I really really really like where they are going with this.

New phone icon is still ugly though.

If google's able to replace the notification pane, any phone become game to me. Galaxies, Xperias, Gs, you name it. The homescreen can already be dealt with, but I'll never be able to actually use a stock galaxy with that abomination of a notification pane. Samsung's still rocking that same bold button, putrid green bullshit they've been doing since what feels like pre-android, the instinct etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom