• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Wow awesome!

Do you own another tablet yet?

Either way you'll be presently surprised on how good the hardware is IMO.
I don't and I had it on my Christmas list lol. My wife has the 2012 n7 and she loves it, can't wait for my one to arrive. Will have to put a nexus 5 on my Christmas list instead lol

Does Google Now keep removing the selected sports teams for anyone else? Almost every week, my teams are removed with the exception of two. It's pretty annoying.

This hasn't happened to me, no.

I have the opposite problem: Every single time I search for a sports team, they get automatically added to my list of teams. Kinda annoying. I'd think Google would be able to distinguish between teams I actually follow and teams I'm just randomly searching for.

Zeppu

So Vodafone Malta has 'rolled out' 4G. 'Rolled out' means it'll be available at some indeterminate time in the future. 4G means fuck all because they didn't even specify if it's LTE/LTE-A/WiMax etc, and it costs an indeterminate price which will be revealed in the future.

It'll probably come with 1GB limit as well. FFS.

Talon

lol HTC in full effect.

Though HTC would prefer that you think of the One max as an extension of the One’s design, what you’re looking at with the new phone is an enlargement of the slightly less classy One mini. That means a plastic wraparound encasing the display, though you still get plenty of aluminum and a nice little bonus: the back cover is now removable. Don’t let that fool you into thinking you’ll be able to swap batteries; you won’t. HTC has built the 3,300mAh battery right into the One max and only opens up the rear to let you insert a Micro SIM (or two, with the dual-SIM model destined for China) or a microSD memory card.

Using the One max in the recommended way — as a very generously proportioned phone — is an exercise in frustration, and nothing exemplifies that better than its major new feature, the fingerprint scanner. Firstly, it’s placed in exactly the wrong place. Sitting immediately below the camera lens and requiring a swipe, it pretty much compels you to touch the lens every time you want to identify yourself. The need for a vertical swipe is also problematic, since your hand’s natural position is at an angle to the sensor, demanding an unnatural and uncomfortable motion to activate it. Inevitably, that leads to regular failures to recognize your epidermic signature.

Equally enervating is the fact that you have to wake the One max from sleep before swiping to unlock it. The whole point of these fingerprint sensors is to speed up security processes, not make them more finicky, and that’s exactly where the HTC One max fails. There’s plenty of potential here, as you can enroll up to three different fingers and assign each an app to launch, but that only works from the lock screen — why not universally? As it is, the fingerprint scanner implementation here is clumsy, awkward, and comfortably in line with the long history of failed attempts at making this technology work.
HTC’s 4-megapixel UltraPixel camera makes a reappearance on the One max, however it discards one rather important feature from the original One: optical image stabilization (OIS). That’ll have an impact when you’re shooting from a less than perfectly still position or in lower light, though let’s not forget that even with OIS the One’s camera is not exactly a world beater. What you get from the One max is quick operation and decent image quality, the latter being enhanced somewhat by its excellent display. There are still software foibles, such as the automatic white balance jumping wildly between a golden sunlit scene and a cool blue hue in two successive photos of the same landscape. That might not sound like a huge deal, but it leaves you with albums of rather inconsistent-looking pictures.
At least the power button is on the side.

Groof

onemaxoneminione_2040_verge_super_wide.jpg
The fact that the One Mini isn't that much smaller than the regular One is still extremely hilarious to me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Likely getting my first Android phone soon. With the Z1 out of contention I'm down to the G2 and Nexus 5 now.

Like the battery in the G2, but I don't know how LG software support is. How long could one reasonably expect patches and updates from them on a flagship phone? After HTC dumped support for my WP7 phone immediately after releasing it that's kind of a concern. Looking at some of the recent posts here, I'm not feeling any better about it.

Like that the Nexus 5 should have good support, and hopefully be fairly cheap off contract but that's yet to be seen. Wireless charging sounds pretty cool, I'd take advantage of that. And I like that it's at least slightly smaller. Wonder what the battery life will be like.

Some city guy who does the analyst work for the phone industry just confirmed with me that HTC are indeed a tier two customer for Qualcomm and other suppliers. The volumes are too low to merit tier one status.

S600 in the One Max = DOA.

The Note 3 and Z Ultra will absolutely wipe the floor with the One Max.

He says HTC are wobbling a lot right now and he thinks they are secretly looking for a buyer or investor to shore up the business, but Peter Chou is not willing to step down which is apparently a deal-breaker for any would be investors.

I really think there is a threat to the material existence of HTC in 2014/15 if Peter Chou doesn't fuck off. The Formosa group have already indicated they won't bail out HTC and the Taiwanese government are apparently unwilling to risk tensions with mainland China by giving HTC a leg up over mainland companies with a bailout.

Honestly, it will be a sad day when HTC shut down, but I don't see where they go from here. Sony have basically taken all of their market share in Europe and Asia, Samsung have destroyed them in the US and in China their offering is too expensive or too crap to be worth buying.

I also don't see where a recovery comes from, not while they remain in Taiwan, the analyst I was talking to said they need to restructure the company and move out of Taiwan and into London or California so they are closer to their potential consumers. Sony have had a lot of success with this tactic being primarily based in London and Sweden with only the hardware design being done in Japan. Again, he said that Peter Chou is the stumbling block to any wider restructuring of HTC.

Likely getting my first Android phone soon. With the Z1 out of contention I'm down to the G2 and Nexus 5 now.

Like the battery in the G2, but I don't know how LG software support is. How long could one reasonably expect patches and updates from them on a flagship phone? After HTC dumped support for my WP7 phone immediately after releasing it that's kind of a concern. Looking at some of the recent posts here, I'm not feeling any better about it.

Like that the Nexus 5 should have good support, and hopefully be fairly cheap off contract but that's yet to be seen. Wireless charging sounds pretty cool, I'd take advantage of that. And I like that it's at least slightly smaller. Wonder what the battery life will be like.

Dude, get the Nexus 5. Great software support, guaranteed ROM support. Easy to unlock (fastboot oem unlock) and it should have better build quality than the N4. The G2 will have LG's hit and miss update policy and the skin is basically a copy of TouchWiz so you may not want to go down that road if you are coming from WP.

RoKKeR

Wow, no ATT for the HTC One Max? My brother is going to be pissed haha. Also only a 600? Cmon now HTC, at least give yourself a chance.

I'm a One owner and it's probably the best phone I've ever used, but I'm not very confident in HTC going forward.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, get the Nexus 5. Great software support, guaranteed ROM support. Easy to unlock (fastboot oem unlock) and it should have better build quality than the N4. The G2 will have LG's hit and miss update policy and the skin is basically a copy of TouchWiz so you may not want to go down that road if you are coming from WP.

That's where I've been leaning. As long as the battery life is solid I shouldn't have any complaints. I don't really care about the supposedly weak camera.

Wow, no ATT for the HTC One Max? My brother is going to be kissed haha. Also only a 600? Cmon now HTC, at least give yourself a chance.

I'm a One owner and it's probably the best phone I've ever used, but I'm not very confident in HTC going forward.

It's S600 because HTC weren't able to procure a large enough allocation of S800. Samsung, Sony and LG are ahead of them in the chain and both have more shipping devices with S800 which will bring a much larger volume for Qualcomm. The Z1 and Note 3 will sell more than the whole of HTC's portfolio this year so there is no incentive for Qualcomm to make Sony or Samsung's life more difficult by having possible shortages of S800 by supplying a lesser partner.

Doopliss

HTC’s 4-megapixel UltraPixel camera makes a reappearance on the One max, however it discards one rather important feature from the original One: optical image stabilization (OIS). That’ll have an impact when you’re shooting from a less than perfectly still position or in lower light, though let’s not forget that even with OIS the One’s camera is not exactly a world beater. What you get from the One max is quick operation and decent image quality, the latter being enhanced somewhat by its excellent display. There are still software foibles, such as the automatic white balance jumping wildly between a golden sunlit scene and a cool blue hue in two successive photos of the same landscape. That might not sound like a huge deal, but it leaves you with albums of rather inconsistent-looking pictures.
That's bollocks. A good display is only going to more clearly expose flaws in a photo if they're there, not make it look better.

I would also like to know how many people he thinks use the myriad features crammed into TouchWiz and LGWiz if he's saying that 70% use of Blinkfeed is bad.

Talon

That's bollocks. A good display is only going to more clearly expose flaws in a photo if they're there, not make it look better.

I would also like to know how many people he thinks use the myriad features crammed into TouchWiz and LGWiz if he's saying that 70% use of Blinkfeed is bad.
Vlad hates on TouchWiz as ardently as anyone on that site.

Vlad hates on TouchWiz as ardently as anyone on that site.

Yup, but he is a bit inconsistent there. He does hate on TW which is fair, but then he also hates on Xperia for being barebones. He doesn't seem to be happy with either kind of experience tbh which doesn't make sense. He seems to want a WP type situation where hardware is customised but the software is all stock, but then he hates on WP plenty so again, there just seems to be no pleasing him...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Could tomorrow be the day? Another week, another test of our collective patience.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Trying out Next Browser, and so far I like it. Only thing missing is a bandwidth saving tool.

Also speaking of browsers I hate how certain browsers look on the N7. Take Opera for example. Looks fine on my phone, but just feels really off on my tablet. I have a feeling Next would be similar.

Only Chrome and FireFox seem to feel right on the N7.

Could tomorrow be the day? Another week, another test of our collective patience.

Maybe invites might go out tomorrow, but I can't see Google revealing the N5/N10/4.4 without a big song and dance about it. I'm sure that Nestle/KitKat feel the same way, and are pushing for a big reveal.

It's rumoured Apple have an event on the 22nd Oct. If that's true I guess it depends if Google want to go first or second with their announcements. :/

Either way, I hope its soon, all I want to see from the N5 are battery benchmarks. I think that will be the deciding factor in what my next phone will be.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I doubt with HW to announce along with a new Android version not just being called JB again that they won't want a hype train rolling as others have said.

So the best hope is everyone gets invited this week to the reveal next week.

Talon

Yup, but he is a bit inconsistent there. He does hate on TW which is fair, but then he also hates on Xperia for being barebones. He doesn't seem to be happy with either kind of experience tbh which doesn't make sense. He seems to want a WP type situation where hardware is customised but the software is all stock, but then he hates on WP plenty so again, there just seems to be no pleasing him...
The email and notifications situation on WP are worth kvetching about.

He's another Stock fanboy.

Another day, another N5 leak. Some Russian guy on G+ posted pictures of the near-retail N5 (has the Nexus logo on the back). There's nothing new, just the physical phone. No pictures of the software.

I doubt with HW to announce along with a new Android version not just being called JB again that they won't want a hype train rolling as others have said.

So the best hope is everyone gets invited this week to the reveal next week.

Maybe invites might go out tomorrow, but I can't see Google revealing the N5/N10/4.4 without a big song and dance about it. I'm sure that Nestle/KitKat feel the same way, and are pushing for a big reveal.

It's rumoured Apple have an event on the 22nd Oct. If that's true I guess it depends if Google want to go first or second with their announcements. :/

Either way, I hope its soon, all I want to see from the N5 are battery benchmarks. I think that will be the deciding factor in what my next phone will be.

Yeah, there's little chance that the event will be next week. I doubt Google wants to share the news cycle with Apple. So, the last week of October is looking likely.

SimleuqiR

Is it me or this phone does not look to be on thin side:

14.10.13+-+3

The N4 is kind of tapered on the sides. This phones seems to have straight sides

Blackhead

Redarse
He says HTC are wobbling a lot right now...

Honestly, it will be a sad day when HTC shut down, but I don't see where they go from here...

I also don't see where a recovery comes from...

Nexus 6 (and Nexus 6 mini). Simultaneous worldwide release Fall 14. $300/$250. beLIEvie

Nicktendo86

Is it me or this phone does not look to be on thin side:

14.10.13+-+3

The N4 is kind of tapered on the sides. This phones seems to have straight sides
I think that pic is deceiving, in the leaked video it looks quite thin to me. The thing that bugs me though it why does the camera need to jut out? Its only a 8mp sensor ffs! I could understand if Google release an official case which has a backup battery inside and makes the camera flush...

There must be a reason they have left it like that. The g nexus was similar but I put that down to witty Samsung...

3phemeral

Uh... I just opened my second Android KitKat and it's saying I've already one a prize, so I'm ineligible to receive one with the current code...only I didn't win a prize with the previous code.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sim, what'd you get for your N4? I should sell mine to get a 5. I just don't want to be without it for a few days, after the N4 ordering fiasco.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Figured out the battery issue I was having with the G2. Now, I kind if want to keep this phone and forego the Nexus 5. Bravo LG, bravo.

Yep, 38 hours on with 15% or so left. It's a beast for sure.

I wish I could edit the slide up options to replace Q Voice with Voice Search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom