• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Because multiple accounts are handled at the system level?

I could have sworn they used to allow this, only it would kick you into the system account creation menu when you did it, but that the option appeared in general settings after tapping the menu button again.

wilflare

You guys really need to give Naked Browser a try. The UI is really minimal but it has everything you need from gestures (2 fingers swipe etc), security and speed.

Set it to not load images when not on WiFi! Mobile GAF is sure speedy hehe

So Netflix finally made a Holo app, hamburger menu and all. It's so so so so much smoother. Still no profiles though, from what I can tell.

2013-10-15%2003.52.24.png

Screenshot_2013-10-15-03-46-12.png

tino

Banned
You guys really need to give Naked Browser a try. The UI is really minimal but it has everything you need from gestures (2 fingers swipe etc), security and speed.

Set it to not load images when not on WiFi! Mobile GAF is sure speedy hehe

The UI is completely broken on my Galaxy Note. The app is only 112kb. It has to be a reskin of a current browser.

panda21

so on KK day (today) i'm expecting we will get:

New google launcher on play store
Email app new version on play store
Based new holo light based UI throughout 4.4
New settings icon
New flat icons for everything
Android OS completely decoupled from Vendor`s skinz/firmwarez, core OS must be updatable over play store independent of vendor

not much so i reckon they will deliver

so on KK day (today) i'm expecting we will get:

New google launcher on play store
Email app new version on play store
Based new holo light based UI throughout 4.4
New settings icon
New flat icons for everything
Android OS completely decoupled from Vendor`s skinz/firmwarez, core OS must be updatable over play store independent of vendor

not much so i reckon they will deliver

Today is just October 15th. Nothing more.

No press invites were ever sent. They could just do an info dump on the Verge, but they held an event for 4.3 and Nexus 7. So, I doubt it.

Nicktendo86

Today is just October 15th. Nothing more.

No press invites were ever sent. They could just do an info dump on the Verge, but they held an event for 4.3 and Nexus 7. So, I doubt it.

Android Police are speculating that they might release the SDK to developers today as on the SMS blog post they said they would release it 'soon;. AP think this may be the source of the 15th rumour.

Android Police are speculating that they might release the SDK to developers today as on the SMS blog post they said they would release it 'soon;. AP think this may be the source of the 15th rumour.

That's very possible, and it makes some sense given the murmurings at Google Launchpad.

However, that won't give us the Nexus 5 or a look at final 4.4, just a sneak peak.

Nicktendo86

More rumours about the Nexus Watch too.
Its meant to launch at the same KitKat unveil and will be based on the Google Now cards system to give the user quick notifications and reminders.

http://9to5google.com/2013/10/14/go...n-heavy-into-kit-katgoogle-now-functionality/

Makes sense to me, in my mind they have struggled with smart watches to condense relevent info down to that small device, google now is the perfect answer imho. Man can't wait for this event!!!!

wilflare

The UI is completely broken on my Galaxy Note. The app is only 112kb. It has to be a reskin of a current browser.

It works fine on my Galaxy Note 3. hmm it is based on the stock android browser with the non-essentials totally taken out.

It sure looks barebones but it gets the job done

gutshot

Aviate: an always-changing, intelligent home screen for Android

aviate-2040-1_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

"We want to connect people to personalized information at the moment it’s useful," reads the mission statement of Aviate, a replacement launcher for Android available today in private beta. It sounds almost exactly like the tagline of Google Now, and that’s no coincidence — Aviate co-founders Paul Montoy-Wilson and William Choi used to work for Google. While Montoy-Wilson worked for Google Play and Choi worked on search, the two had of course heard of Google Now, their employer’s best effort at predicting what information you’ll need next. But, the duo thought they could do a better job at it.

To the founders of Aviate, you shouldn’t even need to open Google Now. The apps and information you need should already be sitting on your home screen as soon as you need them. "What is the right product to bring contextual info to users?" asks Montoy-Wilson. "We decided it’s not an app with push notifications. It needs to live and breathe within the context of your phone — within the context of the experience where you access all of your content."

Aviate uses a variety of factors including the time of day and your location to determine what you’re likely doing, and provide the appropriate apps, buttons, and links for that moment. For example, when you wake up and unlock your phone, Aviate provides a widget filled with your next few appointments, the weather, and even an icon for Twitter, since you like to scan news headlines in the morning. On the way to work, Aviate pops up Waze, Pandora, and Gas Buddy. When you head out to lunch, your home screen adapts itself to the restaurant you’re in, providing photos and tips from Foursquare, as well as the option to check in. As you walk to your car after happy hour that evening, Aviate pops up quick links to get directions home and check on traffic. When you plug in your headphones for an evening walk, your music apps appear. And finally, as you slump into bed after a long day, your home screen includes a new "Set Alarm" button, and a link to your Kindle app.

Whereas Google Now provides the raw information you might need at any given moment, such as the weather or a boarding pass, Aviate hopes to also provide the apps you need. Google may envision a future where the world runs on Chrome apps inside a web browser, but today, apps are the way we do everything on our phones. And don’t worry, you can pick up to 10 apps to stick to the bottom of your home screen — and Aviate expects the scheme to work for most people. Where virtually every other launcher replacement for Android skews towards power users, Aviate is meant to be used by everyone.

This sounds really cool. I'm dubious that independent developers could create something that would live up to the promise, but I could see it becoming the future of Google Now. It wouldn't be the first time Google has stolen an idea from an independent dev and improved upon it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ha Groof is in our hangout and just got a N7. He is setting it up still, but said hyperbole redeemed on me talking up the screen! LoL

Will it support Nexus only, 4.4+ only, any Android device with Google Now (4.1+ only), or iOS devices as well?

The chances of it being limited to 4.4 or just Android are pretty much slim-to-none. Glass works on both platforms.

Will it have more features on Android, like Glass? Yes.

Will it work better with a Nexus 5? Yes, but only because the N5 will have Bluetooth 4 (low energy). Any device with BT4 will benefit.

Conan-san

Isn't the fact the upgrade anoucement is in one language and the system UI is set to anotuher something of a dead giveaway?

I mean I could be totally wrong but that does look kinda dodgey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom