• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another bomb? HTC One X and One V and One have done really well.

Max is just some weird giant turd because they were bored or some Shit.
Define "really well"? Because I get the feeling that your definition has a very low barrier.

FWIW on a global basis the HTC One doesn't crack the top 10 shipped phones for 2013 and it has a much lower margin than the Galaxy S4 and Xperia Z/ZL.

HTC wasted too much effort on pleasing US based bloggers and forgot that Europe and Asia are (were) bigger markets for them.

Honestly HTC are in serious trouble right now and I fear for their material survival heading into 2014 and beyond.

And people think Tasker is complicated...

Dessin Is Like Tasker With Visual 'Mind-Maps' Of Actions And Rules

nexusae0_7_thumb2.png

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So android gaf. Im in a bind Im rocking the GS3 and thinking it maybe time for an upgrade.... But on the flip side I also need a Tablet. So should I just get the nexus 7 or hold off and get a gs5 or nexus 5?

Since you're already in the TouchWiz boat and need a tablet as well, a Note 3 is a good compromise

gcubed

Define "really well"? Because I get the feeling that your definition has a very low barrier.

FWIW on a global basis the HTC One doesn't crack the top 10 shipped phones for 2013 and it has a much lower margin than the Galaxy S4 and Xperia Z/ZL.

HTC wasted too much effort on pleasing US based bloggers and forgot that Europe and Asia are (were) bigger markets for them.

Honestly HTC are in serious trouble right now and I fear for their material survival heading into 2014 and beyond.

Chou is a one man wrecking machine. No one wants the company with him attached. He either needs to leave and they get bought out or they go down in flames

Where's the new rumor of the 28th?

Here's the summary.

In short: KitKat posted a picture yesterday with the caption "Everybody dance now!" Those words are from a very popular song by C+C Music Factory. That song came out October 18th, so people initially thought they were hinting at Friday. However...

Today, they posted one that said "Sometimes you have to look for the signs..." and the picture was KitKat bars spelling out the words "This is it." 'This is it' is the name of Michael Jackson's last concert film that premiered on October 28th.

This made people go back and look at the "hint" from day 1, and they discovered that the founders of C+C Music Factory had a different band named the "28th Street Crew."

See where I'm going with this?

However, on day 1, there was a very popular thread on Reddit that said the words "this is it" in the title. So, some people just think they're trolling Reddit, which is possible.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I literally just came to ask if the G2 would be a worthy alternative to the N5, since I'll be taking advantage of $250 in Best Buy credit. Then I saw the N5 Best Buy kiosk. Please be true!

Knight77

Ok GAF need your advice. I guess is something simple...

I'd like to make a backup of the pictures taken with my HTC One. First I don't want to use memory space for photos that I can see in gallery but in the same time can be stored somewhere else, second I don't want to risk to lose them in case of hardware/software problems.

For what I got until now, between all the services that could do the job, the main two are: Flickr and the G+ backup.

Which one and why? I did not checked all the specs of the two services but looks like Flickr gives a lot of free space, let you save pics in original resolution while G+ doesn't. Was it correct? What else?

Thank you GAF! :)

Talon

Here's the summary.

In short: KitKat posted a picture yesterday with the caption "Everybody dance now!" Those words are from a very popular song by C+C Music Factory. That song came out October 18th, so people initially thought they were hinting at Friday. However...

Today, they posted one that said "Sometimes you have to look for the signs..." and the picture was KitKat bars spelling out the words "This is it." 'This is it' is the name of Michael Jackson's last concert film that premiered on October 28th.

This made people go back and look at the "hint" from day 1, and they discovered that the founders of C+C Music Factory had a different band named the "28th Street Crew."

However, on day 1, there was a very popular thread on Reddit that said the words "this is it" in the title. So, some people just think they're trolling Reddit, which is possible.

This is the lamest shit.
Another bomb? HTC One X and One V and One have done really well.

Max is just some weird giant turd because they were bored or some Shit.
Uh, no. The One series has not done "really well."

tino

Banned

I'd like to make a backup of the pictures taken with my HTC One. First I don't want to use memory space for photos that I can see in gallery but in the same time can be stored somewhere else, second I don't want to risk to lose them in case of hardware/software problems.

For what I got until now, between all the services that could do the job, the main two are: Flickr and the G+ backup.

Which one and why? I did not checked all the specs of the two services but looks like Flickr gives a lot of free space, let you save pics in original resolution while G+ doesn't. Was it correct? What else?

Dropbox also offer photo backup.

Getting a whole set of photos back is a hell lot easier than getting them back from flickr and G+.

Talon

Well the One sold 5 million in a very short span of time and is still selling now.
Revenue dropped 37% YOY. HTC will say that the One did better than the One X, which isn't saying much because that was a tremendous disappointment sales wise.

The fact that 5 million in an opening month is the only thing they could tout is pretty telling. This was supposed to be the premier flagship that carried HTC back to prominence.

Knight77

Dropbox also offer photo backup.

Getting a whole set of photos back is a hell lot easier than getting them back from flickr and G+.

Well yes but I am already using Box (for other files) and I don't wanna use another similar. Plus I don't think Dropbox pics can appear in Gallery (Flickr and G+ yes).

So mainly is between G+ and Flickr for me...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Here's the summary.

It's like got damn National Treasure here.

yyzjohn

Banned
It's like got damn National Treasure here.

People may think it's stupid and all but it's doing wonders for raising interest, and more importantly google searches and advertising hits. If they just announced a date there'd be no drama and no reason to "search for clues". Pretty smart of Google to drag it out like this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does anyone in Android-GAF want/need an Aviate beta code? If so PM your e-mail and I'll send you one. I got 3 of my 5 codes left!

Wish me luck AndroidGAF

Maybe it'll sway me to stock...

Well yes but I am already using Box (for other files) and I don't wanna use another similar. Plus I don't think Dropbox pics can appear in Gallery (Flickr and G+ yes).

So mainly is between G+ and Flickr for me...
Dropbox pics appear in the gallery on my phone...

yea might be the best plan still have a year left on my phone with att lol
Get the tablet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So android gaf. Im in a bind Im rocking the GS3 and thinking it maybe time for an upgrade.... But on the flip side I also need a Tablet. So should I just get the nexus 7 or hold off and get a gs5 or nexus 5?

I can't recommend the Nexus 7 enough. It's so far and away the best Android device I've ever used it isn't funny.

Popnbake

Hello everyone, first post on NeoGaf.

I have been looking into getting my first android smartphone.

As of right now I have a saved budget of around $300 and would like to know if any of my selected phones are recommended for purchase after some research:

LG Optimus G E970 (AT&T)

Pros - SD card slot, LTE, conserved battery use through Eco Mode

Cons - LG lack of updates after Android 4.1.2

Google Nexus 4

Pros - Continued Android updates through Google, slightly better camera

Cons - No SD card slot for expanded storage, apparent poor battery life, lack of LTE, reported poor call quality in reviews

Those seem to be great quad core phones with good specs for my price range.

However the LG Optimus G does not offer continued Android support while the Nexus 4 would not be compatible with my microSD cards.

How important is it for an android smartphone to stay updated with the latest OS version?

AndyD

aka andydumi

G+ does allow full size upload. And also easy download of albums. But if you just want storage/backup Dropbox also works very well.

gutshot

Hello everyone, first post on NeoGaf.

I have been looking into getting my first android smartphone.

As of right now I have a saved budget of around $300 and would like to know if any of my selected phones are recommended for purchase after some research:

LG Optimus G E970 (AT&T)

Pros - SD card slot, LTE, conserved battery use through Eco Mode

Cons - LG lack of updates after Android 4.1.2

Google Nexus 4

Pros - Continued Android updates through Google, slightly better camera

Cons - No SD card slot for expanded storage, apparent poor battery life, lack of LTE, reported poor call quality in reviews

Those seem to be great quad core phones with good specs for my price range.

However the LG Optimus G does not offer continued Android support while the Nexus 4 would not be compatible with my microSD cards.

How important is it for an android smartphone to stay updated with the latest OS version?

To answer your last question, it's becoming less and less important. Google seems to be decoupling more and more of the OS's features and packaging them into apps that any one can download.

That being said, there is always the chance that certain features remain tied to the latest OS version. Just as it would be wise to wait to see what Google announces with regards to the Nexus 5 or Nexus 4 LTE, it might be worth it to wait to see what 4.4 holds, before making a decision.

Popnbake

there are also rumors of updates to the n4 (like LTE) upon the n5's release, so it may pay to wait.

To answer your last question, it's becoming less and less important. Google seems to be decoupling more and more of the OS's features and packaging them into apps that any one can download.

That being said, there is always the chance that certain features remain tied to the latest OS version. Just as it would be wise to wait to see what Google announces with regards to the Nexus 5 or Nexus 4 LTE, it might be worth it to wait to see what 4.4 holds, before making a decision.

Alright then.

I can wait one more paycheck interval but I'll have to pass on the new devices if they have a November release since that would cut into my budget for the PS4.

Thank you for the replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Alright then.

I can wait one more paycheck interval but I'll have to pass on the new devices if they have a November release since that would cut into my budget for the PS4.

That doesn't make any sense. Unless the funds disappear.

catmincer

Revenue dropped 37% YOY. HTC will say that the One did better than the One X, which isn't saying much because that was a tremendous disappointment sales wise.

The fact that 5 million in an opening month is the only thing they could tout is pretty telling. This was supposed to be the premier flagship that carried HTC back to prominence.

I maintain the One would have been the best phone of the year if they just added a bloody MicroSD slot. 32GB is decent but not enough if you can record 1080p video at decent quality like you can with the One. Also, the camera was ridiculous, I liked the low light photo ability of it but Lumia 920 was just as good and also took good day light photos. To me, the lack of removeable battery isn't a worry as I am always near a PC and the battery life was surprisingly good.

It saddens me to see HTC do so badly as their phones are so nice but there's always just a few silly niggly things they do to stop them being 9/10 phones. Same with their Windows Phones. 8X and 8S are nice devices but again, limited storage (Inexcusible as WP8 supports microSD card) makes them less attactive vs the (Nokia) competition.

I maintain the One would have been the best phone of the year if they just added a bloody MicroSD slot. 32GB is decent but not enough if you can record 1080p video at decent quality like you can with the One. Also, the camera was ridiculous, I liked the low light photo ability of it but Lumia 920 was just as good and also took good day light photos. To me, the lack of removeable battery isn't a worry as I am always near a PC and the battery life was surprisingly good.

It saddens me to see HTC do so badly as their phones are so nice but there's always just a few silly niggly things they do to stop them being 9/10 phones. Same with their Windows Phones. 8X and 8S are nice devices but again, limited storage (Inexcusible as WP8 supports microSD card) makes them less attactive vs the (Nokia) competition.

Nope it got the main feature of the year wrong, it had a 4.7" screen in the body of a 5" phone. Seriously, the One is the same size as the X-Z and larger than the S4, but it has a smaller screen. It also has a shit camera like you pointed out, plus most people I know have an absolute aversion to Sense. Removable batteries are not a big deal, it's a nice to have, so are microSD slots tbh, plenty of phones sell well without having either and the way Android works at the moment it's clear that Google are doing whatever they can to marginalise the use of sd cards and push internal storage.

They need to rebrand their software, stick to the script when it comes to screen size and cameras and market their phones better, people having a party around a phone speaker is not a good advert neither is RDJ standing around at a car wash.

A HTC One with a 5" screen with the same panel type and a 13MP camera or even the 8MP 1/3" that Apple are using for the 5S would have been a shit load better than the ultrapixel crap. Honestly, they must have read US based blogs complaining about plastic, too many megapixels and screens getting too big then decided that the HTC One would satisfy those needs, even though the most successful OEMs use plastic, pump up the MP count whenever possible and use larger and larger screens. I don't think anyone in the history of phones cares so much about the sound quality of the speakers enough to actually increase the size of their device by 1cm on the top and bottom, so that is definitely a "High Tech Computer" moment.

The One X was a solid phone, it got some stuff right, but it also got a load of stuff wrong, that it got outsold by the massively inferior Xperia S is just tragic as well. The One should have fixed everything that the One X didn't get right. That has been Samsung, Apple and now Sony's major strength, each iteration of their flagship device fixes shit from the previous one, none of them really reinvent the wheel. Take the S4 and S3 as an example, people complained about PenTile, Samsung fixed it with S-Stripe which is good enough, people complained about shitty battery life, Samsung stuck in a mega battery, people complained that phones were getting too unweildy, Samsung made the S4 fit into the same size envelope as the S3. The same is true for Apple when they shift to the S version of their phones, and Sony now with the Z and Z1.

HTC felt the need to reinvent the wheel with the One, but it has, in fact, led to lower shipments YoY. If they had got the One and One Mini both out at the same time in April and then got the Max out in July (like the ZU) with S800, they may have had a competitive year, but as it was, the One was dominated by the S4 and undercut by the Z. The Mini is a complete and utter joke and the Max is about to get destroyed by the Note 3 and ZU (the latter is selling out stock as soon as it comes in apparently).

Not to mention that Peter Chou vacated the low end in SE-Asia/China/India which Sony were only too happy to fill with the L, M and C (all of which are doing well). Plus a bunch of Chinese mainland companies have muscled them out of the mid-high end in HK while their market share in Japan is basically zero, though that's mostly due to a resurgent Sony with the Xperia Z and A on NTT and UL on KDDI.

The lesson in all of this is that HTC made a lot of mistakes, most of them they went into with their eyes wide open too, which is just insane. Any phone market analyst could have told them that going into a 5" screen battle with a 4.7" screen is like taking a knife to a shootout. HTC were outgunned by Samsung and outmanoeuvred by Sony. The latter should be particularly painful for them because there was a point in time (just after the Xperia X1 released) that Sony offered to sell their 50% stake in Sony Ericsson to Ericsson and use the proceeds to buy HTC but Peter Chou basically said no, we will beat you in the marketplace, why should we sell to you, from that decision HTC as a brand was born and they stopped being an ODM to larger companies like SE.

Anyway, enough of my rambling...

Edit: Honourable mention for LG who kicked the shit out of them with the Nexus 4 and opened up the US market for the G2. HTC declining the third Nexus still haunts them to this day.

AColdDay

I just bought a used Sprint Galaxy S3 from swappa.com and when I turn it on, I get a "No SIM - Insert SIM Card" error. I want to use it with Ting when my Verizon contract expires at the end of the month.

I turned it on to see what it all looked like, but that is when I got the error. From what I understand, this phone doesn't even have a slot for a SIM card, so I'm at a loss of what to do.

Does anyone know what I should do?

I just bought a used Sprint Galaxy S3 from swappa.com and when I turn it on, I get a "No SIM - Insert SIM Card" error. I want to use it with Ting when my Verizon contract expires at the end of the month.

I turned it on to see what it all looked like, but that is when I got the error. From what I understand, this phone doesn't even have a slot for a SIM card, so I'm at a loss of what to do.

Not really familiar with US phones but Sprint is cdma only?

If it doesn't take a SIM how were you going to use it with Ting? Are they cdma too?

gcubed

HTC should have just shipped rectangle phones with shit screens and forgot everything else. It worked for Sony (and still does apparently)

they should get a clue and should be ashamed of putting the power button on top. Ashamed.

It took them 5 years to learn that Sense sucked, so i have no doubt that if they are still around in some shape, they will have it fixed by 2018

Honestly, HTC took way too long to remedy Sense, and I think they are still trying to dig their way out of that hole.

catmincer

they should get a clue and should be ashamed of putting the power button on top. Ashamed.

It took them 5 years to learn that Sense sucked, so i have no doubt that if they are still around in some shape, they will have it fixed by 2018

Honestly, HTC took way too long to remedy Sense, and I think they are still trying to dig their way out of that hole.

The thing is Sense 5 is actually very good and with 5.5 it's even better. But yeah, too late really.

gcubed

The thing is Sense 5 is actually very good and with 5.5 it's even better. But yeah, too late really.

yeah, its definitely gotten better, and is better then touchwiz, but it wasn't fast enough. Sense became the biggest joke a few years ago, and it damaged them. For how ugly touchwiz was/is it never radically affected performance of the phone like Sense did... or take good design decisions by Android and completely ruin them for no reason.

HTC should have just shipped rectangle phones with shit screens and forgot everything else. It worked for Sony (and still does apparently)
or maybe they should have a good brand name with a good reputation!

open the battery compartment... does it have a SIM slot?

real talk. the HTC One was deeply flawed. it was an Android Mobile handset designed to get great reviews from tech bloggers who either want or think their audience wants an iPhone that runs Android. they should have designed a great Android Mobile handset for consumers instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom