• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not hallucinating. There are gradients.

Gotcha. I like it, at least based on that screen. It beats solid black bars, IMO. I'm interested to see what happens within apps, though.

So does this further Hangouts integration indicate that Google Voice's days are numbered? I can't wait to get rid of that shitty GV app.

mturco

Gotcha. I like it, at least based on that screen. It beats solid black bars, IMO. I'm interested to see what happens within apps, though.

So does this further Hangouts integration indicate that Google Voice's days are numbered? I can't wait to get rid of that shitty GV app.

You're talking about how it gets darker at the top and bottom, right? I'm pretty sure it's been like that on stock Android since maybe 4.1.

Nexus-7-2013_9898.jpg

WlJkGX3uAirKXVMMyPGQVc42xgj6oNfNZbhSACQ9R7kbVDfci4S4vV0KqybKA3ng0Co=h900-rw

It's very subtle.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
4.4's home screen makes 4.3's look so outdated. The black nav button background and status bar make the screen look so small. Thankfully, the new style fixed that. The new phone icon is hideous and so is the camera one, though I get the circular theme on that one. It's easy to change the icons, though.

Ugh... if I buy a Nexus 5, I know I'm going to want the 2014 model because it'll be a much more substantial upgrade. Fortunately, I can see myself owning the 4 for another year. But will I be able to hold out? Hmm.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So it still hasn't been announced. If they were putting it on the store it has to be REALLY soon.

Yeah. Sounds like it'll be available for sale immediately after the press event. The best kind.

Yeah. Sounds like it'll be available for sale immediately after the press event. The best kind.
all I know is it better be announced during the day then because I work every night except thursday and friday :/

Today would be nice. Assuming there's no event and it's just a press release.

Could be a good idea, but I'd suggest looking into coverage maps and seeing if the change is good for you.

AT&T coverage is very good my area, for work and also for where my college is located (where I went to, I still have friends up there) and really good in cities. I'm near Philly.

Funny, when I bitch about how Verizon is so fucking broken and draconian about what phones it allows and updates and so on, my dad just goes... "not this again."

SimleuqiR

4.4's home screen makes 4.3's look so outdated. The black nav button background and status bar make the screen look so small. Thankfully, the new style fixed that. The new phone icon is hideous and so is the camera one, though I get the circular theme on that one. It's easy to change the icons, though.

Ugh... if I buy a Nexus 5, I know I'm going to want the 2014 model because it'll be a much more substantial upgrade. Fortunately, I can see myself owning the 4 for another year. But will I be able to hold out? Hmm.

I'm getting it. Just recently got a T-Mobile no contract plan with unlimited data (including 2.5 gigs of tethering /month), and their LTE network has mature since the Nexus 4 came out. So that's one thing I want to take advantage of.

If the 4 had full LTE support it would be a lot easier to pass on the 5.

jokkir

OCcLWMO.gif

Bboy AJ

http://i.imgur.com/OCcLWMO.gif[/MG][/QUOTE]
I guess. I feel like I'm wasting money, though. What will my near mint 16GB N4 sell for? $250? Gazelle offered an insulting $115 for a mint one.

tino

Banned
won another $5 Play credit.

edit: each person who participate in kitkat can only win once, but the codes can be redeem on the same google play account.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So was this not posted in this thread? Nexus 5 retail packaging? White one too.

ZypSz3L.png

First image looks too shitty to be actual packaging

Second image has weird perspective issues. Probably fake too. Also why would they put the profle of the phone on the front of the box too.

dengatron

so after 2 charge cycles on my G2, first one lasted me 61 hours, second 82, both with around 7 hours screen on time... now my battery use is showing 1500 hours remaining till empty.. wat is this sorcery?!

thespot84

so after 2 charge cycles on my G2, first one lasted me 61 hours, second 82, both with around 7 hours screen on time... now my battery use is showing 1500 hours remaining till empty.. wat is this sorcery?!

If your next one is ~11,000 hours i'd call it a consistent trend!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yup. That's all it is. I'm not ashamed to say so. There are little things I don't like but nothing I care about... And they are very nitpicky

That's what I figured, lol. I don't blame you, my phone cycles have gotten shorter and shorter. I'm trying to hold the line with 1/year but it's tough man.

Hi guys,

I've already asked this on the Xperia Z1 topic but I figured I'd ask here anyway to get more insight onto my question. I'm rather new with phone tech terminology so I was wondering what's the difference between T-Mobile HSPA+ and T-Mobile 4G LTE?

I'm looking to upgrade from my iPhone 4 to the newly released Sony Xperia Z1 but the model that they have released in the USA so far is a HSPA+ model that looks like there's no 4G LTE support, and it seems like the T-Mobile variant which will support 4G LTE has not been designated a set release date. HSPA+ is a completely new term to me so I was wondering if it is significantly inferior to 4G LTE speeds? Should I just suck it up and wait for T-Mobile to release their variant instead?

jokkir

Hi guys,

I've already asked this on the Xperia Z1 topic but I figured I'd ask here anyway to get more insight onto my question. I'm rather new with phone tech terminology so I was wondering what's the difference between T-Mobile HSPA+ and T-Mobile 4G LTE?

I'm looking to upgrade from my iPhone 4 to the newly released Sony Xperia Z1 but the model that they have released in the USA so far is a HSPA+ model that looks like there's no 4G LTE support, and it seems like the T-Mobile variant which will support 4G LTE has not been designated a set release date. HSPA+ is a completely new term to me so I was wondering if it is significantly inferior to 4G LTE speeds? Should I just suck it up and wait for T-Mobile to release their variant instead?

I'm not quite sure about T-Mobile since I live in Canada but LTE should be considerably faster than HSPA+. But with that said, LTE is offered in smaller areas compared to HSPA+ so depending on where you live, you may or may not get the advertised LTE speeds. It also depends how T-Mobile is and their coverage of the area to determine how fast internet speeds you get.

I'm not sure about Z1 since I haven't really looked into that phone though.

Someone can probably tell you more information about this :p

tino

Banned
Hi guys,

HSPA+ is slower than LTE but not by much,

For the traditional definition, HSPA+ is sub 4G speed but T-Mobile was the first to call its HSPA+ "4G speed", so when T-Mobile finally got "real 4G" LTE antenna up and running they could not call it "better 4G" anymore, they just call it "4G LTE"

They are about the same in daily usage in T-Mobile's case.

Hi guys,

the upload speed and latency are significantly better on T-Mobile LTE vs T-Mobile HSPA+ but the download speeds are similar because T-Mobile supports dual channel 42mbps downstream on theur HSPA+

wait for their LTE version

gcubed

That's what I figured, lol. I don't blame you, my phone cycles have gotten shorter and shorter. I'm trying to hold the line with 1/year but it's tough man.

i really like the shape of the phone also. My nitpicky things on the One is that I dont like how it feels in my hand, it has sharp-ish edges, compounded by the fact that the power button is up top. If thats the worst complaints have about it, its doing something really really right.

The nexus 5 is just technolust. My wife is sporting the Gnex, so i'll just give her the One and take the 5 because... well... i'm paying for it anyway! She'll probably have a better phone experience for the first month anyway since there is always something wrong with the initial android release on their nexus line (yes, thats what i tell myself to sleep at night)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom