• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

I use Contacts+ as my main app for contacts, and Disa.im (now in beta) for SMS while that Hangouts integration doesn`t come.

I ended up going with Sliding Messaging Pro.. lol

hmm I kinda want to try Contacts+... hmm do they have a way of backing up your contacts? does it take up much space/wakelock, etc?

Man, picking an Android phone is so difficult.

I checked out the Z1 in person for the first time and was highly disappointed that the screen did not seem significantly improved from the Z and that the whites from the Z UI have now turned into a beige-ish offwhite. I love the look of the Z and I thought the Z1 would be identical, which for the most part it is, but the subtle change really bothered me :(

Now I played with the LG G2 and the HTC One and I can't believe I've never noticed how gorgeous the HTC One was.Too bad T-Mobile doesn't get the black one but this phone looks great. I tried the LG G2 too and I'm starting to fall in love with it too but I hate how it retains the kiddish messaging themes that the Samsung S4 has and the dialer looks ugly.

wilflare

I checked out the Z1 in person for the first time and was highly disappointed that the screen did not seem significantly improved from the Z and that the whites from the Z UI have now turned into a beige-ish offwhite. I love the look of the Z and I thought the Z1 would be identical, which for the most part it is, but the subtle change really bothered me :(

Now I played with the LG G2 and the HTC One and I can't believe I've never noticed how gorgeous the HTC One was.Too bad T-Mobile doesn't get the black one but this phone looks great. I tried the LG G2 too and I'm starting to fall in love with it too but I hate how it retains the kiddish messaging themes that the Samsung S4 has and the dialer looks ugly.

try the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I'm loving it more and more each day hehe

vdlow

I ended up going with Sliding Messaging Pro.. lol

hmm I kinda want to try Contacts+... hmm do they have a way of backing up your contacts? does it take up much space/wakelock, etc?

15.21MB from the app + 1.12MB of data + 708KB of cache. Total is 16.33MB. And no way to back up contacts. =/

try the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I'm loving it more and more each day hehe

Haha yeah I tried that one too, the screen quality and colors were out of this world but alas it's a bit too big for me and I just really hate the the blue/black interface and the messaging app that the Note 3 and the S4 use. I'm sure it's an amazing top tier phone, it's just not the right one for me.

Groof

Haha yeah I tried that one too, the screen quality and colors were out of this world but alas it's a bit too big for me and I just really hate the the blue/black interface and the messaging app that the Note 3 and the S4 use. I'm sure it's an amazing top tier phone, it's just not the right one for me.

There are plenty of 3rd party SMS apps you can use to replace the default ones though. I for example use Sliding Messaging, a full featured app with a bunch of customisability, MMS & Google Voice support, constant updates etc. And Google Hangouts will probably get SMS integration soon enough so you can even replace it with that.

wilflare

if the blue/black interface is the only thing holding you back, you can always get a launcher. I'm using it and it is awesome hehe

yyzjohn

Banned
Google releasing updates for iOS first again. Hangouts has voice calls added to the iOS version lol. Smh.

Google is cross platform, they just want as many users as possible. I'm sure the Hangouts update with KitKat has the same features, so you basically have to wait a week to 10 days.

get a Nokia Lumia

gcubed

I want Google to ramp up their Project Butter to make Android insanely smooth. Like iOS smooth.

Do it, googy

It'll never get that smooth, they have a different operating philosophy than Apple. Apple prioritizes touch and screen draw over any other CPU usage

It can get closer by throwing more power at it but it won't ever match it completely.

Iacobellis

I want Google to ramp up their Project Butter to make Android insanely smooth. Like iOS smooth.

Do it, googy

Android still isn't as smooth as iOS? I'm contemplating on leaving iOS (for now), but the overall smoothness of the OS is what keeps me on an iPhone.

jokkir

It'll never get that smooth, they have a different operating philosophy than Apple. Apple prioritizes touch and screen draw over any other CPU usage

It can get closer by throwing more power at it but it won't ever match it completely.

True but I think they can improve on it a bit more especially since announcing Project Butter

Android still isn't as smooth as iOS? I'm contemplating on leaving iOS (for now), but the overall smoothness of the OS is what keeps me on an iPhone.

Not quite on the same level but it's still pretty smooth. I was on a Nexus S using Android 4.3 and had no complaints about speed (until it ran out of RAM and just started slowing down). But modern devices shouldnt have that problem especially have 2GB of ram nowadays

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You don't know whether Android is smooth yet iOS's smoothness keeps you on the device? Huh.

Iacobellis

You don't know whether Android is smooth yet iOS's smoothness keeps you on the device? Huh.

Well, the post I replied to confirms that Android isn't as smooth as iOS. I've used a friend's GS3 before and it was good, but third party apps like Pandora are miles behind the iOS versions.

Well, the post I replied to confirms that Android isn't as smooth as iOS. I've used a friend's GS3 before and it was good, but third party apps like Pandora are miles behind the iOS versions.

from what i've used of iOS7, Android is definitely smoother. and one thing that has always bugged me about iOS was the scrolling speed of ... EVERYTHING, it's this molasses pace, so so so slow.

Husker86

iOS 7 isn't as smooth as iOS 6, I'll agree with that. But the scrolling runs like molasses?

Scrolling is smooth, but it's SLOW on iOS. I have both a 5s (and have had previous iPhones) and an S4 at the moment. Android momentum scrolling is much faster. iOS gets a slight pass for this since it's easy to return to the top of a scrollable interface by tapping the status bar, but it's still very annoying if you're used to Android. Another way to put it, iOS's "top speed" of scrolling is very low.

Vyer

iOS 7 isn't as smooth as iOS 6, I'll agree with that. But the scrolling runs like molasses?

Android tends to lack the ability to snap to top of pages by tapping, for example, though some apps add this ( I love the way Boat Browser does it for example). Seems like flying through stuff is the alternative. I've never been a fan of that though, I find iOS scrolling much more precise.

bob page

iOS 7 runs like ass on my iPad Mini. Scrolling is most definitely worse than recent Android builds. And don't even get me started on the terribly slow animations.

iOS 6 definitely had superior performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom