• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Android still isn't as smooth as iOS? I'm contemplating on leaving iOS (for now), but the overall smoothness of the OS is what keeps me on an iPhone.

Smoothness was one of the reasons I didn't switch to Android for a long time. The HTC One is the first phone I've tried that felt as smooth as an iPhone experience and I'm pretty frame sensitive. Even an iPhone 5S with iOS7 still has slight micro stutters. I'm sure most Android phones aren't as smooth, but there's at least one that stacks up IMO.

thespot84

Smoothness was one of the reasons I didn't switch to Android for a long time. The HTC One is the first phone I've tried that felt as smooth as an iPhone experience and I'm pretty frame sensitive. Even an iPhone 5S with iOS7 still has slight micro stutters. I'm sure most Android phones aren't as smooth, but there's at least one that stacks up IMO.

Is it really that upsetting to see a frame skip while using your phone?

3phemeral

image.php
image.php

lol

Is it really that upsetting to see a frame skip while using your phone?

Yes. Nothing more pathetic than seeing choppy ass scrolling when your phone has top of the line specs. In fact, it still pisses me off seeing featured apps like Flipboard that stutters like shit when using the in-app browser.

-PXG-

If you don't use Apex, you don't know what the fuck you're doing. Nova? pfffft. Trebuchet? pffft. ADW? Pfffft? Go? Double pfffft.

SS Launcher if you're a weirdo.

Toki767

These days it's relatively easy, yeah. Most phones have unlockable bootloaders now (no need for hacks) so it's pretty easy to just follow a step-by-step guide on XDA.
Unless you're on AT&T or Verizon. They lock the bootloader on all their new phones now.

mturco

Unless you're on AT&T or Verizon. They lock the bootloader on all their new phones now.

I was able to unlock my AT&T HTC One through HTC's website without any problems. I think it's mostly Verizon that requires devices to have locked bootloaders these days.

No problem, Lashley.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Yes. Nothing more pathetic than seeing choppy ass scrolling when your phone has top of the line specs. In fact, it still pisses me off seeing featured apps like Flipboard that stutters like shit when using the in-app browser.
People who get worked up over a skipped frame need better things to worry about. Jesus.

I'm in Hong Kong and I've never seen so many Galaxy Notes in my life. The only people using iPhones seem to be mainlanders.

Must be sweet when everyone pretty much has cheap, unlimited data and reception everywhere - including all underground trains.

wilflare

If you don't use Apex, you don't know what the fuck you're doing. Nova? pfffft. Trebuchet? pffft. ADW? Pfffft? Go? Double pfffft.

SS Launcher if you're a weirdo.

what can Apex do that Nova can't?
I'm under the impression that both are pretty much the same.

-PXG-

exactly. Apex is a solid B launcher, maybe a B plus max.

What hell is n A then?

This man knows what's up.

Damn straight. Apex Pro all day.

what can Apex do that Nova can't?
I'm under the impression that both are pretty much the same.

They are essentially the same. Apex has more intricate homescreen, app drawer and behavioural settings. A lot more. And for me at least, Apex is more stable.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The only reason a white front makes sense is if the UI was lightened up. For example, all pre-iOS 7 white iDevices looked like shit. iOS 7 really lightened up the UI. Now the white ones actually look nice.

For Android to have a white front, Holo Light would need to dominate. There's still plenty of Dark, as far as I know, so the front of the white phone still needs to be black. I like the oreo look, anyway. The white N4 looks nice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Submarino Conversível;86735443 said:

Oh crap, I might have to get that if it's real.

I've heard white phones are for girls though, so I dunno...

I don't see how they could make the rubbery back white, though. Maybe they'll surprise me.

The only reason a white front makes sense is if the UI was lightened up. For example, all pre-iOS 7 white iDevices looked like shit. iOS 7 really lightened up the UI. Now the white ones actually look nice.

For Android to have a white front, Holo Light would need to dominate. There's still plenty of Dark, as far as I know, so the front of the white phone still needs to be black. I like the oreo look, anyway. The white N4 looks nice.

Well, getting rid of the black backgrounds on the status and nav bars (on the home screen) at least helps. The OS already looks a lot lighter thanks to that, and as you said, Holo Dark is being faded out (think about it, when Android 5.0 DOES hit in 2030, this might be the first device to actually get it, or one of the first.)

Zeppu

I really dislike the white front frame. Nexus phones have always had black fronts and they're superior.

Besides that is obviously just an invert colours for the black model leaks.

-PXG-

Oh crap, I might have to get that if it's real.

I've heard white phones are for girls though, so I dunno...

I don't see how they could make the rubbery back white, though. Maybe they'll surprise me.

Well, getting rid of the black backgrounds on the status and nav bars (on the home screen) at least helps. The OS already looks a lot lighter thanks to that, and as you said, Holo Dark is being faded out (think about it, when Android 5.0 DOES hit in 2030, this might be the first device to actually get it, or one of the first.)

I have a white GS4. Got a white Vita too. Hate all day if you want :p

Iacobellis

That's good to hear. I'm just waiting for the official announcement of the N5 to see if I want to jump ship. Android has definitely improved in the past few years. I remember the sluggish mess of a phone the first HTC EVO was. My friend stood by it and its very poor skin, but we both know that the iPhone 4 was superior in almost every sense.

Fatalah

Likely a mistake, CNET's Nexus 5 news page (updated on Friday) still lists Verizon as a carrier. I'm grabbing at straws.

Carrier support
FCC documents indicate that the Nexus 5 is equipped for penta-band HSPA+ and multiple LTE bands and should support all four major carriers in the US: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. This could mark the first time that Google is able to offer one device across all top-tier carriers.

Why the hell does CNET sound so confident? Jerks, stop toying with me!

Likely a mistake, CNET's Nexus 5 news page (updated on Friday) still lists Verizon as a carrier. I'm grabbing at straws.

Why the hell does CNET sound so confident? Jerks, stop toying with me!

No.

It has one of the LTE bands that Verizon plans to eventually roll out, but they don't use it right now -- and they probably won't in enough markets for years.

The main band that Verizon uses right now is NOT in the phone.

It isn't coming to Verizon.

It won't be supported.

Get a G2.

vdlow

Came here to say that Chrome is force closing for anyone in Brazil. The reason: daylight saving time. It started yesterday, and since the clock changed, no one can use Chrome anymore, it force closes before opening any site.

Thanks, Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom