• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Boo fucking hoo.

Seeing as most major OEM do whatever they want to Android (skin and replace apps for their own) I just thinks it's fair that Googy decouples everything from the OS. OEMs don't respect or care for the UI vision that Google wants for the OS.

And as for the modding community, just look at what has happened with Cyanogenmod. Now you have devs decoupling their own work from them, as they have become more corporate like in the way they conduct business (i.e. Focal)

As long as all of these key components (calendar, camera, keyboard, etc) can be replace with the app of your choosing I don't see the "closed source" argument. Maybe I'm just not technical enough to understand, but as a consumer I think it's great that Google is replacing these components via the Play store.

You missed the point. Google might break linkage berween google calendar app and other third party calendar apps.

I don't use official calendar app because its terrible compare to Business Calendar. However if Business Calendar can not sync with google cloud then I have to force to use the official app.

This could be Falcon Twitter app situation repeat.

Fox318

lolsamsung-640x406.jpg

This is pretty disgusting.

If google wants to control everything they need to release a Nexus device an all carriers or make Moto devices better.

Hardware wise the Moto X was unimpressive and the MotoMaker locked up with At&T fucked the launch up. Not to mention that on Verizon Google released like 6 Droid phones while the Moto X is on display next to the flip phones.

Zeppu

You missed the point. Google might break linkage berween google calendar app and other third party calendar apps.

I don't use official calendar app because its terrible compare to Business Calendar. However if Business Calendar can not sync with google cloud then I have to force to use the official app.

This could be Falcon Twitter app situation repeat.

It's not even remotely related.
AOSP, by default doesn't have any built in calendar syncing. Google account APIs and public calendar APIs do. Irrespective of what version of Google Calendar is being supplied by Google, Business Calendar will have nothing to do with it. Business Calendar (and other calendars) hooks up with the Google Account Sync on device or through the public Calendar APIs to replicate the functionality. If Google abandoned AOSP calendar tomorrow and even removed it from AOSP source it wouldn't affect third party apps the slightest if they're hooked up correctly. Very simply put the 'account sync' part of Android allows calendars to be synced and stored inside a Calender Provider which is available to all apps. The AOSP calendar app is just a viewer/editor for that. Third party apps are also viewers/editors of that same content provider, and don't depend on any calendar app itself.

Basically, Google, if they wanted to could choose to remove calendar from AOSP and keep third party calendars working. They could also keep AOSP calendar in and break third party calendars by shutting down their APIs. They are completely unrelated things and should be considered as such.

Massa

If google wants to control everything they need to release a Nexus device an all carriers or make Moto devices better.

Well, Google couldn't care less what skin or icons or launchers people use as long as they buy phones that have all their services pre-installed and ready to go, and the Play store of course so they can take their 30%. If letting OEM's fill phones with crap is the price to pay for that then Google is happy to oblige. If you're one of the minority who cares about that kind of stuff then you have plenty of options to choose from.

Fox318

Well, Google couldn't care less what skin or icons or launchers people use as long as they buy phones that have all their services pre-installed and ready to go, and the Play store of course so they can take their 30%. If letting OEM's fill phones with crap is the price to pay for that then Google is happy to oblige. If you're one of the minority who cares about that kind of stuff then you have plenty of options to choose from.

I'm just saying that Google is the person who could change that. OEM's want to make it so people feel trapped in their phone's ecosystem like they do on iOS.

A few things I take away from this outstanding article:

Amazon (more specifically Kindle Fire) is fucked, long-term. There's no way they'll be able to keep pace with Google's app development. Fire will fall farther and farther behind, especially once Amazon launches their smartphone and the deficiencies of Amazon's productivity services become more apparent. Also, I now feel like I have a better understanding of why Amazon still hasn't released an Android app for Instant Video.

Samsung is going to have an incredibly tough time separating itself from Android - far tougher than I previously believed. That Tizen stuff seems like a pipe dream more than a realistic backup plan. Honestly, it seems that the surging popularity of Samsung's products will only make it more difficult for them to rid themselves of Google.

The OEMs can bitch all they want about Google's increasing chokehold over Android, but they never would have been able to mount a legitimate challenge to Apple scattered on their own. Having a dozen different OEMs with a dozen different ecosystems would be a nightmare. You go solo at your own peril. (Ask BlackBerry.)

panda21

Have AOSP programs ever used google services? if google have an API for a service theres nothing to stop OEMs from writing something to interact with it. I don't really see why apps like calendar and email would need to be open source anyway?

the only real casualty would be people wanting to make AOSP android devices that don't use google services, without providing their own alternative calendar/email apps. but why should google make software for them?

the really complicated part of android is the linux kernel/dalvik jvm and that is still open, and people like Xiaomi are using it without google services (and making their own calendar email etc, although its probably based on old AOSP versions).

Zeppu

My predictions:
Annoucement: 28th Oct
Release (UK/EU): 18th Nov
Price: $350/$420
Source: pulled everything straight out of my ass

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've been saying for a couple weeks now I think today will be the day invites go out. I still feel confident about that.

If google wants to control everything they need to release a Nexus device an all carriers...
No they don't. Google caving into Verizon's bullshit wouldn't do anyone any good. That kind of shit needs to stop, not be encouraged.

...or make Moto devices better.

Hardware wise the Moto X was unimpressive and the MotoMaker locked up with At&T fucked the launch up. Not to mention that on Verizon Google released like 6 Droid phones while the Moto X is on display next to the flip phones.

Have you read any reviews of Moto X? It's an excellent phone. It doesn't have bleeding-edge specs, no, but it makes up for it with a bevy of useful features and excellent utilization of the hardware. It is absolutely one of the very best Android phones on the market right now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Moto X is a great phone, it's just a little overpriced. Still, it has quite a few attractive features.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I must have spent all my Moto X money on your Galaxy Nexus breh. http://i.imgur.com/KH8y2c1.png[/MG][/QUOTE]
Who wants to buy my Nexus 4!

Seriously, what are they going for? $250 for a 16GB?

tino

Banned
So far, I have been getting pretty good return in Kitkat codes. According to my calculation, my friends and family have a 21% chance in winning the 5 dollar code. If you see Duane Reade or CVS put Kitkat on sale, definitely don't miss it.

My family has won the jackpot tablet yet, unfortunately.

You're being silly. It's still a quad-core chipset, 2 gb RAM, etc. Camera sucks, though. I'll give you that.

Also, GUYS, it's finally happening after we're all been waiting for weeks:

How am I being silly? It's got crap storage, no LTE, a lower resolution screen, mediocre camera, etc, but somehow it's still top tier? The only thing people keep coming back to is it has a quad core processor.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How am I being silly? It's got crap storage, no LTE, a lower resolution screen, mediocre camera, etc, but somehow it's still top tier? The only thing people keep coming back to is it has a quad core processor.

Well, it's not top tier anymore but to call it "dated" is a bit far.

SimleuqiR

You're being silly. It's still a quad-core chipset, 2 gb RAM, etc. Camera sucks, though. I'll give you that.

Also, GUYS, it's finally happening after we're all been waiting for weeks:

BBM Roll Out Details:
Download BBM – the easiest way is to visit BBM.com from your Android or iPhone browser*
Once you install the app, open it, and enter your email address to hold your spot in line
We will email you as soon as you reach the front of the line and can start using BBM

Why? Why BBM.com? The fuck?
They can't handle the roll out via the play store? Hell Even Googy does stage roll outs.

mturco

You're comparing it to 2013 flapships though. Also, 720p was the standard in 2012 when it came out.

You're all missing the obvious.

Android 4.4 - 4th day of the 4th week of October.

Nexus 5 on the 5th week because you won't be able to get your order in until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom