• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my entire company uses hangouts, for thiings from chat to web meetings. I use hangouts for chat and video callings to almost all of my friends and family, across platforms (well, the two that matter).

I have one person i use whatsapp for. Whatsapp is a huge waste of time, they need to just let it die

see how stupid you sound?

It's not about being stupid, it's over saturation of these things. Whatsapp, BBM, viber, Kik, have all been around for a long time, and are always in the top 20 used apps. Having another one just doesn't make sense. Especially when it's taking them so long to actually add features people have been asking for, for years.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm pretty sure Google Talk was around for a while before WhatsApp.

Guess no one can make chat clients anymore cause innovation is dead. *shrugs*

im surprised whatsapp.inc hasnt been bought by anyone

has there even been offers?
there were rumors of a Google buyout, but they denied it, and they were also pretty adamant about not having ads and sticking to the paying customer model.

It's not about being stupid, it's over saturation of these things. Whatsapp, BBM, viber, Kik, have all been around for a long time, and are always in the top 20 used apps. Having another one just doesn't make sense. Especially when it's taking them so long to actually add features people have been asking for, for years.
it makes sense to Google. and anyone with a Google account...

Groof

You're also forgetting LINE (huge in Japan) and KakaoTalk (huge in Korea). There's also TikTok that's quite niche, ChatOn for S Heads and a whole lot more. But there's always someone using something.

I currently have Whatsapp, Hangouts, KakaoTalk and FB messanger that I use on a regular basis. I used to have LINE as well but decided to trash it because it's stuck in the Gingerbread days. The problem with these apps however is that you have to install them. Hangouts will already be there. Moving forward, it'll be default for many devices. If people get a whim that it's going to be the iMessage of Android and notice that it already exists on their device, they'll probably migrate. However, install base will never be 100%. Same as Whatsapp isn't 100%, or any of the other thousand chat apps. None will ever be. People will always have preferences and people will always use more than one.

edit: Four more I found from a quick search: WeChat, Pinger, Tango and fring.

I actually decided to load it up again after my recent phone wipe and it keeps sending me a text then saying it can't confirm my phone number :/

Hangouts has got to be a US thing more than anything or some shit.

Groof

I actually decided to load it up again after my recent phone wipe and it keeps sending me a text then saying it can't confirm my phone number :/

Hangouts has got to be a US thing more than anything or some shit.

Every time I've had to do it, it auto detects the SMS. I live in Sweden, a real 3rd class Google citizen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No way. Hangouts is shit.

TadkV.gif

Troll hard or go home, I suppose.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't know a single person here in Canada or the UK that uses or even knows what Hangouts is.

Whatsapp however is used by everyone.

Hangouts just seems like a huge waste of time, they need to just let it die.
I'm in Canada and every one of my friends uses hangouts. My company uses hangouts as well.

Salsa

I like this mindless talk cause I have no interest in getting a new phone (still on S3)

also today I found out not everyone in the world uses Quickpic

is the gallery on 4.3 good or something

SimleuqiR

I like this mindless talk cause I have no interest in getting a new phone (still on S3)

Not if you want to view GIFs on your phone. Quickpic is the photo gallery app I used when opening files from Reddit and or Imgur.

Anyone deal with android calendar never syncing? Tried looking online but could never find a fix. stock calendar and google calendar both never finish loading calendar when I try to create events/reminders. I remember stopping the calendar syncing process a bit ago while on a trip because it was showing high power usage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
did they leak the next gen battery yet?

i'm bored by processors. I want battery

To be fair if you are on a device from the GNexus on, but don't have a S800 then you are getting a worse battery experience. BIG little chip design does wonders for the battery.

Groof

Agreed. Stronger processors mean more battery load meaning more battery consumption which is very bad. If a new processor is going to be announced, announce a more battery efficient version of the S800 or something.
Also bigger batteries.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Agreed. Stronger processors mean more battery load meaning more battery consumption which is very bad. If a new processor is going to be announced, announce a more battery efficient version of the S800 or something.
Also bigger batteries.

S800 is more battery efficient than the S600 though despite being the more powerful chipset.

Agreed, for the most part.

Battery tech is lagging way, way behind right now, and LG is the only company making any attempt to change that fact. The stepped battery that they created for and use in the G2 allows for about 16-20% more battery in the same space as the existing technology, which is impressive. But, other companies likely won't adopt it, since they'd have to source them from LG directly.

Thankfully, PC processors like Haswell show that optimized chipsets can make a huge impact on battery life. Hopefully, such tremendous gains come to ARM chipsets in the future. The SD800 is a big first step in that direction, thankfully.

Threi

notag

Quickpic is superior for everything except viewing photosphere pics.

Groof

From what I can tell, the Google+ integration is the same as it has been for a long time now. The slide-out navigation just shows the currently used account.
Yup, and that will probably keep making itself into many more apps to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom