• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

I'm about to just break down and buy a G2 at this rate. They're $99 at Best Buy this week and if you order online, you get a $50 gift card bringing the price down to $50 + tax.

Talking about phones though.

that's the point brah... messaging apps have been around and varied forever and continue to do so, doesn't matter if it's by 'phones' or not. 'on a mobile device' is just an obvious extension and people are trying everything.

there are a bunch of apps that are messaging apps that are solely for messaging between just two people, stuff like pair, couple, between, etc...

there are all sorts of new private social messaging apps, path, everyme, etc...

there's stuff like snapchat and the clones...

and despite people listing a bunch of stuff already, there's a ton of others people haven't even mentioned in the last 100 posts... oovoo, glyde, voxer...

catmincer

I know. My fear is just that it'll never see 4.4 officially supported and the development community doesn't seem to be trying to put CM or any sort of AOSP ROM on it even though the source is out.

Pretty much. Thus, I would never consider an LG phone even if the hardware is nice.

Surely they HAVE to roll out KitKat before Halloween for the marketing angle alone. They'd be stupid to miss that obvious play.

Wouldn't announcing/releasing it on the 31st be a better marketing play than doing it before Halloween?

Anyway, Google likes announcing things on Tuesdays, so the 29th could work. We'll find out tomorrow, if invites go out.

Threi

notag
aaand the official BBM app gets removed from the play store (most likely because the developer name is different and it got flagged as a fake app)

great going there googy.

its back now...sort of

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All this waiting for the announcement of the announcement. We all know it'll still be a pain to buy it from the Play Store.

panda21

knowing googy they are going to wait until Nestle stops making android branded kitkats and everyone has forgotten about it, and apple has announced the based godphone 6 featuring reese cups, before they release kitkat.

then the internet will be all like 'why does my nexus 4 think its chocolate bar?'

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Google buys FlexyCore to help with Project Butter.
Their product was called DroidBooster and claimed to improve app performance without hitting the battery life.
FlexyCore’s droidBooster is an Android accelerator that makes ten times faster the performance of an Android device. Its principle relies on improving the performance of an Android handset at build-time by generating highly optimized ARM binary from Dalvik code. droidBooster can be applied to any ARM based platform, any Smartphone range (high/low/mid) and is compatible with any Android system. Note that it can also be used to improve consumer devices.

Malvingt2

BlackBerry Manages 5 Million BBM App Downloads In 8 Hours

BlackBerry finally rolled out its BBM messenger for iOS and Android earlier today, using a unique reservation system presumably designed to prevent its servers crashing out again, and the company claims that five million users have downloaded the app already.

@BBM
Next 5 million in line - your turn! Open up BBM and click "I got the email" to get started on #BBM right away!

It’s not clear how many others are waiting for access but the initial figure — racked up eight hours after launch — is pretty impressive. BlackBerry said earlier that six million people had signed up to get updates about the app in ahead of its launch, while an apparent one million Android owners were “using the unreleased version of BBM for Android” following the partial launch in September.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/10/...ownloaded-bbm-for-android-and-ios-in-8-hours/

kharma45

Lol Instagram coming to WP. I bet it'll look 10x better than the Gingerbread Frankenstein version on Android.

Doesn't look too bad

O4t0Nns.jpg

Still think that 6tag looks better

SimleuqiR

Dat persistent notification icon!
Why BBM isn't using push notifications?

I will wait until they fix that.

Google buys FlexyCore to help with Project Butter.
Their product was called DroidBooster and claimed to improve app performance without hitting the battery life.

Well that's interesting. Wonder when we will see the effects of this? 5.0?

In fact, the startup’s team has already been integrated with Google’s Android team, while the acquisition has been a year in the making, having been concluded in October this year, apparently.

So, they have been working together for a year? Maybe?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Surprised Google didn't announce yesterday. These companies usually try to throw wrenches before competitor announcements.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Can somebody help me with rooting my SGS3

I'm a total noob with this shit and with my last device I somehow cocked it up, I'm in the UK if that matters

Totally destroyed my Note 2's glass in a drop the the other day. What are my repair options aside from sending it to Samsung and paying $200? Screen functions fine, just shattered. No, I don't have insurance.

I'd almost rather pay $350 for a Nexus 5 then bother fixing the Note 2.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Just saw what the competitor had. Looking at my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition tablet, it's safe to say that The Next Big Thing is already here.

jokkir

Totally destroyed my Note 2's glass in a drop the the other day. What are my repair options aside from sending it to Samsung and paying $200? Screen functions fine, just shattered. No, I don't have insurance.

I'd almost rather pay $350 for a Nexus 5 then bother fixing the Note 2.

You can try those small mobile repair shops and ask them if they can fix it for you. If not, I say wait for Nexus 5

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nexus 7 still the hawtness post iPad announcements. Props to Google and ASUS for that.

Nexus 10 is some hot street trash though. Google you need to get on that ASAP.

Malvingt2

BBM – the first 24 hours are an amazing success

It’s been 24 hours since we resumed the launch of BBM for Android and iPhone. And what a day it’s been! We’ve already had more than 10 million downloads of BBM. I want to thank our customers – old and new – our employees, and our partners for their enthusiasm and commitment. BBM is looking great on iPhone, Android and BlackBerry, and the team here is very excited about the success of this launch.

I’m also pleased to say that BBM rose very quickly in the Apple App Store free app rankings in the first 24 hours, taking the number one slot in more than 75 countries, including the US, Canada, the UK, Indonesia and most of the Middle East. We have also seen overwhelmingly positive reviews on Google Play and the App Store. In fact, BBM has earned 60,000 five-star reviews on Google Play from about 87,000 reviews.

When we saw almost one million people install an unreleased version of the Android version, another million use workarounds to download BBM onto their iPhones and another six million people pre-register to know when BBM became available for iPhone and Android, we knew we were on to something huge. I’ve seen reports of apps that launched with one million downloads in a day, but over 10 million? Amazing.

I have said this before, but the team here has been working incredibly hard to bring #BBM4All and I am very proud of their work. In fact, when we resumed the launch of BBM, we were able to update both the iOS and Android versions of BBM. The BBM app for iPhone has been optimized for iOS7. We also added a new BBM chat widget in the BBM app for Android. This new feature lets you stay engaged in chats without even having to open the app. It’s a great new feature.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2013/10/bbm-24-hours-later/?CPID=SOC_C_NA_Other1382469983

My Facebook time line is full of BBM pins!

gutshot

Remember that time, some 2 weeks ago, where we were all sure the Nexus 5 would be announced at any moment? Those were the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom