• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys heard anything about Google's next Nexus phone? The last one was Nexus 4, so are they going to call this one the Nexus 5? I can't wait for it. I hope it comes soon.
i heard it may be exclusive to Verizon.

G2 is currently $99 at Best Buy and you get a $50 gift card if you order it online.

^^^ this. ^^^

So today confirms that Nexus 7 is still the best value in tablet I guess?
today? as if it were anything but a mere formality...

I want to upgrade but I am with Boost Mobile.. Limited cellphones. I am using right now a Samsung Galaxy 2

i heard the iPhone 5s and 5c are coming on the 8th! just a little over two weeks!!!

Threi

notag
aGIjWo3.jpg

Goddamn smug son of a bitch

mturco

Yeah I don't get the Nexus 10 hate. Take a look at any tablet benchmark charts from Anandtech. The Nexus 10 is still very competitive in terms of performance and is $100 cheaper than the competition. I never had any of the stability issues on mine though, so there's that.

Unrelated: I can't believe Apple is still selling the iPad 2 for $400. How is that not a typo?

Kwixotik

G2 is currently $99 at Best Buy and you get a $50 gift card if you order it online.

Damn, that's what I'm upgrading from lol. My cat knocked water on it a couple days ago and killed the battery, or something. I was just like "screw it, i'm due for an upgrade anyway." Guess I'monna have to spend more money if I want an actual upgrade.

edit: nvm, I thought you meant Galaxy S2

edit 2: seems like a good phone, but it's kind of ugly

Toki767

Damn, that's what I'm upgrading from lol. My cat knocked water on it a couple days ago and killed the battery, or something. I was just like "screw it, i'm due for an upgrade anyway." Guess I'monna have to spend more money if I want an actual upgrade.

I'd say to go to the store and try it out yourself. It actually feels pretty good in the hand. It's not as stylish as something like the HTC One, but it's incredibly light and the screen is really something.

HoodWinked

there are alot of good phones out there

MotoX is also $100 on contract (at least on amazon). very solid well rounded phone and even has voice activation. its even assembled in Texas.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sit down, you're obviously having a stroke.

Nexus 10 is still king of all tablets.

Let's see over shot the resolution compared to the chipset. Shit aspect ratio and trying to be landscape. Fuck all kinds of kernel problems and hard locks. Meh industrial design and feel. Crappy battery life.

Hopefully ASUS can come in and do what Samsung didn't and give us some godlike Nexus 10 like they did with the current 7.

mturco

Let's see over shot the resolution compared to the chipset. Shit aspect ratio and trying to be landscape. Fuck all kinds of kernel problems and hard locks. Meh industrial design and feel. Crappy battery life.

Hopefully ASUS can come in and do what Samsung didn't and give us some godlike Nexus 10 like they did with the current 7.

I'll give you all of those except "overshot the resolution compared to the chipset." I had it for 8 months and never once noticed so much as a stutter. That thing flew. The screen is incredible too.

Toki767

Looks like CM is starting to roll out nightlies for CM on the G2. I feel a lot more confident in picking up this phone and not missing out on 4.4 and future updates now.

SUPREME1

Banned

I'll give you all of those except "overshot the resolution compared to the chipset." I had it for 8 months and never once noticed so much as a stutter. That thing flew. The screen is incredible too.

I'll go one further and add that my N10 never suffered any hard locks. Kernel issues? What would be the symptoms of "kernel issues"? If it's developer related, I wouldn't care.

My N10 beasts. Granted I mostly use it on the weekends for listening to music while I surf the net. Check emails too. Landscape is perfect for this. Screen is amazing. Not sure what the beef is with the screen, nicest I've ever seen.

The one thing I could bitch about is the battery. But again, I use it once a week on the couch... So I just plug it when it gets low.

Oh yeah, I also use it to view pics taken on my DSLR via a media import app and an otg cable and microSD card reader.

I like the feel of the rubbery plastic on the back. It's grippy enough to feel secure in hand.

Also, best speakers around.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Kernel problems are causing the hardlocks, and surprisingly or unsurprisingly Google hasn't updated the bitch. I think some have had luck with custom Roms and kernels on xda, but it is a symptom of the device.

gcubed

I for some reason can't get my location sharing to work anymore, had anyone else had this problem? It was working for a long time and I have no idea when it stopped.

aFIGurANT

It looks like someone got a tip that the S5 is not going to be a metal chassis after all: BGR.com

According to a report from GalaxyS5Info, Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S5 handset will not feature a metal case as had been previously rumored. Instead, the site says Samsung will continue to use plastics for the device’s housing. Specifically, Samsung will supposedly carry the leather-look plastic from the Galaxy Note 3′s case over to the new Galaxy S5.

vivftp

My source at SMC says Friday. Also said that 4.4 brings finally brings features worth talking about to the public rather than the background changes that 4.2 and 4.3 brought.

Devices that got updated to 4.3 will all be able to update to 4.4 as they have the same baseline requirements apparently. 4.4 changes top layer stuff leaving most of the behind the scenes stuff unchanged.

Also got an updated schedule for the 4.3 rollout for Xperia:

Z/ZL - end October
Z1, Z Ultra - middle November
Tablet Z, ZR - end November
SP - middle December

L, M - Jan to Feb (EOL)

T, TX, TL, V - Spring 2014 (EOL)

There is a secondary team working in parallel with the 4.4 PDK for Z1, ZU and a couple of other S800 devices that are released in early 2014, this is the same method Samsung use to get their flagships updated quicker. The secondary team will get the framework ported to S800 and get the devices feature complete, by that time the main team for flagships will be freed up to port the extras and optimise the builds. They also told me that the Z1 went through 7 major milestone builds before they got 4.2.2 running to an acceptable level which is what held up development, that was is the reason 4.3 is currently running late, usually it only takes the team two or three milestones to get to consumer grade builds, but with the Z1 it took them much longer. The source said 4.3 is better though, they are close to consumer grade software on their second build and the third "version" will start from scratch soon so they will be able to iron out the remaining bugs and hopefully make it by the middle of November and stick to their internal timetable.

Good read, thanks for the info.

Question, do you know if the "big" camera update is going to be rolling out with 4.3, or is that a seperate update? Or, was the "big" camera update the recently released one... 257 IIRC?

Still having an internal debate about the Z1 and Z Ultra, but now leaning more towards the Z1 as I can get it discounted via my carrier and I could probably use that extra $$$ going into xmas.

tino

Banned

Meh. I have been doing background audio and popup youtube in a while.

Get pop up video working and I ll be impressed.

Apple has the 5S and Samsung will have the S5. Apple has touch id Samsung will have feel id.

My conspiracy regarding the S5 is that Samsung release it early so they can fight with 5S directly. And then use S6 to rub it in iPhone 6's face.

Nicktendo86

So, see you all at 12-2pm EST for another session of 'Invite Watch'.

Lol. I still think the best guess is Android Police's prediction of the 31st, which would mean invites have to go out tomorrow. Really wouldn't be suprised if it turns out there has been a delay into November though :(

Yoshiya

guessing the devices are out there with major newspapers and the Verge and we're going to find out on friday. media events have been falling flat lately and i'd bet google knows that getting out in front can make their communication more effective.

GatorBait

Lol. I still think the best guess is Android Police's prediction of the 31st, which would mean invites have to go out tomorrow. Really wouldn't be suprised if it turns out there has been a delay into November though :(

Halloween announcement date with the candy tie-in makes a lot of sense. I just hope they put the units on the Play Store soon after the announcement because my Galaxy Nexus is on its last legs. I dropped it this past weekend and now it has a few nice cracks right through the center of the screen. :(

Blackhead

Redarse
It looks like someone got a tip that the S5 is not going to be a metal chassis after all: BGR.com
According to a report from GalaxyS5Info

The irony is that if you had linked directly to 'GalaxyS5Info' I would have accepted the rumor, no questions asked. But now that I know BGR has picked up this tale I'm more inclined to believe that the S5 will be made of sapphire and machined aluminium, with a free matching cashmere case.

panda21

wouldn't everyone prefer this to another dull pr event that wishes it was an apple keynote? it's actually communicative and compelling for the people that matter here - consumers.

i'd prefer something like that, from what I remember it generated far more articles on the verge than it would have for a traditional press event, and they were actually interesting things about the design of the OS rather than just a summary of the press event.

but its google so they will do this in the worst way possible. i'd guess a press conference on a monday evening where they spend 95% of the time talking about cloud printing in google glass or something equally boring and then go 'oh by the way 4.4, nexus 5, enjoy'.

Fatalah

Just curious, does anyone else know more HTC One owners than Galaxy S4?

Many of my HTC One friends switched from iPhone and are really satisfied. Sure, it's a small sample size of people, but I always scratch my head when reading of HTC's financial woes.

kharma45

Just curious, am I the only one who knows more HTC One owners than Galaxy S4?

Many of my HTC One friends switched from iPhone and are really satisfied. Sure, it's a small sample size of people, but I always scratch my head when reading of HTC's financial woes.

I don't, going by what it's like here in the UK everyone goes for the Galaxy range. I've seen one HTC One in the wild, one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom