• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, FOr sUre, Google would neveR release a version of AnDrOid ThaT WOuld totally mess up the phone experience.

I don't own an iPhone 4 or iPad 2. So I don't know what iOS 7 is working out for me there. Just like I won't know how 4.4 will work on my Galaxy Nexus.

I think it has more to do with Google not giving a fuck.

Why do iOS users feel the need to shit up this thread constantly?

Cipherr

Submarino Conversível;88220647 said:
So the transparency is only on the N5? :(

Possibly? I have the APK's installed on my old Nexus and I have black bars instead of transparency.

But jesus the new launcher and GNow is MUCH faster on a Gnex. Or it seems to be at least. I havent used the GNex as a daily driver for a while, but it certainly feels a lot faster a lighter with a much more stable high framerate on all the actions. Accessing google now on the swipe is instant and smooth with no loading just like on the N4.

Why do iOS users feel the need to shit up this thread constantly?

They are just here to see the features they will be getting in a few years. The thread shitting is a reflex of their frustrated anticipation.

Wow, I'm still on my old HTC Incredible and the Google Experience app is so smooth! Plus it takes over everything! Sense and TouchWiz are DONE.

I missed your post, yep I feel the same. The launcher is incredible.

iavi

Just got my first auto-awesome gif made up by Google + in my notification pane...that...is actually pretty fucking awesome. I like this.

So I'm using the new launcher and I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to be loving about it. Seems like much hasn't changed other than being able to swipe left for Google now. Which I typically have turned off, but I turned it on again to see if it actually does anything now other than give me weather updates.

I know I'm missing a lot, I must be, just don't see it immediately.

jokkir

I finally got Kitkat working on my phone:

0jFMNKm.jpg
iB4zHIr.jpg

Any questions? I'll be staying a little bit late today doing my homework

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The new G+ update has done some weird stuff with photo management. And the new windmill-shaped icon is ugly. AND now I have an app called Gallery and an app called Photos. Brilliant stuff.

jokkir

Some quick impressions of Kitkat so far:
+ The no black bars in the status bar and nav bar when in the homescreen is pretty nice looking
+ Homescreen with the Google Now stuff looks pretty good too
+ The clock doesn't look ugly anymore now that Google got rid of the bolded font
+ I like showing more information about battery drain from apps that use location
+ Bigger focus on Google Now.
+ It looks like more control on Google Now too like adding reminders and easier to modify preferences.
+ Easier and more apparent way to open Google Now and Camera from the lockscreen
+ Easier to choose a default Launcher now that it's in the Settings

- The white font when not in the homescreen (the black bars return) make apps look really plain and bland.
- Moving to neutral colours for other apps like the Keyboard make it looks plain as well
- I'm not really liking the changed Roboto font
- Tougher to add screens and widgets
- Dialer's design is all over the place. It has a new interface but then it looks the same when calling someone. Can't comment on the Yellow Pages thing since I think it's not working on this build.

I can't comment on the NFC part because it doesnt seem to work on this build.

Anyway, yeah, the bland, grey colours are really bothering me. It looks very soul-less. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

EDIT - It also looks like Google got rid of lockscreen widgets in 4.4

3phemeral

I like how they finally made it easy to modify Google Now notification reminders and Google Now preference setups. When they first implemented it and I made a reminder, I made a mistake and it took me a while to realize that they weren't saved on my calendar, but were built int Google Now's settings interface. I also like how they made Google Now the default left-screen for the launcher.

Cipherr

I use dashclock, but Im not mad about lockscreen widgets dying. Dashclock was the only one I really used and it was of minimal impact.

I like how they finally made it easy to modify Google Now notification reminders and Google Now preference setups. When they first implemented it and I made a reminder, I made a mistake and it took me a while to realize that they weren't saved on my calendar, but were built int Google Now's settings interface. I also like how they made Google Now the default left-screen for the launcher.

Yeah I like the left most screen being GNow. It gives the OS an even more completely different feel from all the other operating systems.

Cipherr

Oh wait, I just found out you can toggle the lockscreen widgets off and on after all!

Nice, I noticed you can turn off Google Now being the left most screen also. Its under the launcher options. Long press on any screen and touch options. You can disable GNow as the left most screen.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Some quick impressions of Kitkat so far:
+ The no black bars in the status bar and nav bar when in the homescreen is pretty nice looking
+ Homescreen with the Google Now stuff looks pretty good too
+ The clock doesn't look ugly anymore now that Google got rid of the bolded font
+ I like showing more information about battery drain from apps that use location
+ Bigger focus on Google Now.
+ It looks like more control on Google Now too like adding reminders and easier to modify preferences.
+ Easier and more apparent way to open Google Now and Camera from the lockscreen
+ Easier to choose a default Launcher now that it's in the Settings

- The white font when not in the homescreen (the black bars return) make apps look really plain and bland.
- Moving to neutral colours for other apps like the Keyboard make it looks plain as well
- I'm not really liking the changed Roboto font
- Tougher to add screens and widgets
- Dialer's design is all over the place. It has a new interface but then it looks the same when calling someone. Can't comment on the Yellow Pages thing since I think it's not working on this build.

I can't comment on the NFC part because it doesnt seem to work on this build.

Anyway, yeah, the bland, grey colours are really bothering me. It looks very soul-less. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

EDIT - It also looks like Google got rid of lockscreen widgets in 4.4
What? No way.

Edit: Thought so.

JonnyBrad

Installed new launcher on n4. The scaling on 4*2 widgets is messed up. Only covers 3 icons.

Guessing the apk has settings specifically for n5.

thespot84

is the n5 available at tmobile yet? The nexus 5 website points to tmobile stores when you click "find a retailer". My gnex USB port is completely fucked as of today and I'm thinking of just jumping ship to tmo with an n5 tomorrow.

Nicktendo86

Just installed the new Google now/launcher on my n4. I'm sorry but the new icon sizes will take some getting used to, they are huge.

I've got Email and Hangouts working so far on my phone, without root and any fiddling. There's a few more out but don't know how well working they are.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Google Now says I walked 120 miles (about 195km) in the month of October. Not sure how accurate but 6.5km a day seems about right. Kind of a cool card I had never noticed before.

This is cool and all, but don't go and think it's terribly accurate.

It's telling me that in October I walked 165 miles and biked 9 miles. In reality I did walk about 165-170 miles or so, but I biked nearly 50. I use Runtastic Pro whenever I walk or bike anywhere and, while I'm lazy and just pulling rough numbers from it, the numbers in Now are definitely less than accurate.

Cool card regardless, though. It's a start. Love to see it become daily.

Milpool

Just got a dispatch email and tracking number for my Nexus 5. They sent mine with Parcel Force so I imagine I'll get it on Monday at the earliest.

I'm in the UK btw.

Just got a dispatch email and tracking number for my Nexus 5. They sent mine with Parcel Force so I imagine I'll get it on Monday at the earliest.

I'm in the UK btw.

Well, that's me on email watch for the rest of the day then!

Come on Googy, give me a reason to look forward to Monday.

Dropping support for the Galaxy Nexus is the biggest bullshit ever. They still sold that fucking phone last year on the fucking Play Store!

Fuck Google, seriously.

Threi

notag
Im pretty irritated by it and I don't even own a GNex.

Hopfully the reason is that its because of the SoC (texas instruments doesn't make it anymore) and not "oh its just too old please buy our nexus 5 lol"

Im pretty irritated by it and I don't even own a GNex.

Hopfully the reason is that its because of the SoC (texus instruments doesn't make it anymore) and not "oh its just too old please buy our nexus 5 lol"

Well, that is supposed to be the reason, but it won't be valid as soon as someone releases a custom 4.4 ROM for it. Again, it was only a little over a year ago since they stopped selling the device (The Verge wrote the news on Oct 29th, 2012).

And even if it's the SoC, then be honest and say it and don't pull a shitty "everyone else only supports their devices for 18 months, so we're doing the same", because it's simply not true.

JoeFu

Banned
It really is dumb. They tout the 4.4 lower memory specs and how lower end devices can get 4.4, but don't do anything about it to show that it is possible. Show people that Kit Kat is awesome by improving the GN with 4.4. Oh well, I got a Nexus 5 ordered so whatevs.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well the good news for my G2 is that most of the 4.4 features seem to work fine from reading XDA. Including the always on voice search.

O just wish the nav/status bars were transparent with live wallpapers and not just static.

It really is dumb. They tout the 4.4 lower memory specs and how lower end devices can get 4.4, but don't do anything about it to show that it is possible. Show people that Kit Kat is awesome by improving the GN with 4.4. Oh well, I got a Nexus 5 ordered so whatevs.

I wouldn't be as mad if the user experience didn't get worse with 4.2 and 4.3.

I guess I'll have no choice than going to that shithole that ROM city is. Great.

JoeFu

Banned
I wouldn't be as mad if the user experience didn't get worse with 4.2 and 4.3.

I guess I'll have no choice than going to that shithole that ROM city is. Great.

Yeah I can't believe how much worse the GN got as it got more updates.

ROM city sucks, but at least you get a chance to get KitKat on your phone through it.

Threi

notag
Oh you mean the joyful experience of installing unstable roms that tout useless features and gaudy themes over anything else, and dealing with devs who call you ungrateful and threaten to pull roms if you ever dare to point out any potential bugs in their build?

Yeah...not going through that again.

I agree with this point. They should've backported KitKat to Nexus One, just as a proof of concept.

DagsJT

I actually quite like the large icons on 4.4 myself. Performance isn't too great but then it's an early port for the N4 and I imagine the proper Google version will be smooth as expected.

Swiping to the left screen for Google Now is nice too.

JoeFu

Banned
What's with the lack of Nexus 5 videos? Did the press not get the phone early? That awful verge quick look is the only video I've seen of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom