• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Finally received my custom URL for Google+. Seems you can't change it, as they reserve it based on your actual name. So for those of you who want to make sure you custom name is what you want it to be, I suspect you'll have to change your user details. I was only given the option to claim my +name, not to choose it.

zatara

For anyone who bought a note 3 or whenever you were a first time note user....you got used to the weight eventually right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Biggest disappointment? No Chromecast love.

tzare

can't wait for my n5 :)
btw, does hangouts send full pictures or compressed ones like like whatsapp?
As for for animated gifs, does hangouts have any option option to make them or you need a separate app. Any good one on play store?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest disappointment? No Chromecast love.

The thing is there isn't really anything to announce. Google just has to get off their shit and approve apps, but everything else is already out there. The APIs and the hardware are in the wild already.

So the new home launcher for Kitkat is Google Search.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...e-kitkats-primary-interface-is-google-search/

Layout files do exactly what you think they do: they determine what goes where in an Android app. As the image shows, the layout files from the 4.3 launcher have all migrated over to the Google Search app. All the necessary assets and image files have made the jump, too. I would show the GoogleHome.apk layout files for comparison, but there aren't any. The launcher has been gutted and is now just a helper app that registers Google Search as the home screen. In fact, if you install GoogleHome.apk without the 4.4 Search app, it won't work at all. It just displays a message saying it requires the Google Search app to function.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google going to have another event this year?

Nexus 10/Smartwatch/GoogleTV (or whatever they're calling it these days)

Nobody knows, but all signs point to at least a N10 releasing sometime soon. We might not actually see that rumored Smartwatch stuff till next year.

IceIpor

I'm hoping/thinking they only did this to mitigate fragmentation of devices/updates.
If your HW manufacturer is too lazy to update their devices to the latest version, just download it from the play store instead!

Another step in their plan to decouple the google .apks from the OS and installed separately for future updates.

wilflare

the best would be actually allowing us to download the OS level updates from Google Play Store.. :/ (rather than the OEM)

any OEM specific software (like SPen, etc)
would have to be downloaded separately

in other words, stock ROM for everyone.
Touchwiz, Sense etc are all APKs on top of it

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
the best would be actually allowing us to download the OS level updates from Google Play Store.. :/ (rather than the OEM)

Nah. Who cares. If people want the latest, get a Nexus. If they like the other phones, cool. A new OS doesn't affect that.

i think that bloggers have used this whole "on top of" talk too much and people don't seem to get that these framework extensions are just another layer when they aren't another layer, they're more like chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting than plain cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

Bboy AJ

i think that bloggers have used this whole "on top of" talk too much and people don't seem to get that these framework extensions are just another layer when they aren't another layer, they're more like chocolate cupcakes than plain cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

Get a Lumia 1020.

I'm hoping/thinking they only did this to mitigate fragmentation of devices/updates.
If your HW manufacturer is too lazy to update their devices to the latest version, just download it from the play store instead!

Another step in their plan to decouple the google .apks from the OS and installed separately for future updates.
Google's strategy has been pretty brilliant.

1) Give away the OS to OEMs and give them a great deal of control over skinning/customizing the OS
2) Let the customers of OEMs get deeply invested in the Google/Android ecosystem
3) Gradually yank control of the OS away from OEMs

1) Give away the OS to OEMs and give them a great deal of control over skinning/customizing the OS
2) Let the customers of OEMs get deeply invested in the Google/Android ecosystem

4) "controlling? what are you talking about? it's open source. look at Amazon!"

Bboy AJ

Brilliant, yeah. But it sucks for us. There will be ads everywhere if they could. Like on screen buttons, there would be a section just for ads. All the time.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Has the google search problem (4.4) been fixed? Or a solution that would fix it? I tried that language switching thing posted a page or two back.

3phemeral

Has the google search problem (4.4) been fixed? Or a solution that would fix it? I tried that language switching thing posted a page or two back.

You have to add a library to your systems/lib folder. I can't remember where I found it, but it was in the comments section of a site that listed that useless language switch that never worked.

tino

Banned
i'm still betting on Verizon to brand the OS with a software Verizon button...

Now that you mention it, Verizon is probably the first company to officially part way with Google.

They will try to do it with Samsung, or worse with HTC. So all the future Droid phones will run "DroidOS". The map would be a Nokia map solution and there might be a couple appstores on the phone. I think Amazon appstore and another no name store. All the other Google app you can replace easily. You probably won't be able to get Gmail unless the user manually install gmail.apk or playstore.apk. Mmmh Verizon need more collaboration besides a couple hardware OEM. They need maybe Yahoo to provide alternate Google cloud services.

On the flip side, mobile payment probably will work right off the bat.

I am calling now, the great Android Schism of 2015.

Bboy AJ

ZhEvuF5.jpg

That's a bigger screen than I thought.

Brilliant, yeah. But it sucks for us. There will be ads everywhere if they could. Like on screen buttons, there would be a section just for ads. All the time.

I think Google is content, as least for the time being, using the mobile space to mine user data rather than to push advertising.

wilflare

Nah. Who cares. If people want the latest, get a Nexus. If they like the other phones, cool. A new OS doesn't affect that.

I really like my Note 3 though... :/

it would be really nice if Google could centralize OS updates the way Apple does it (lol.. can't believe I'm saying this) without any of the draconian baggage..

a new OS isn't just about the updated software (apks etc) but what matters more for me are those under-the-hood improvements (new apis, better memory management, etc) that I think really should get to all users of Android as soon as possible...

hmm. didn't read about how the OEM extras are more than just "on-top-of" features.. bleh. if only there's a better way to go around this.

(I was set on getting a Nexus for my next tablet until I went to try the iPad Air out.. arghhh)

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
On iPhone's Safari there is a button you press to get an easy to read online article. Does Chrome or Android App have same ability?

Also is there a good alternative to Feedly? It sucks.

thespot84

The cool kid Android-GAF Hangout is still open. There is a small cover charge of $10 which can be sent to me via paypal, and if all checks out you'll get your Hangout invite!

PM with your info and I'll send you my paypal e-mail to get things started. :p

I will be selling entrance fees to the android-gaf hangout for $9. PM me for details.

On seriously note, I kind of got my hands on a moto x today (it had a giant security thing stuck on the back). Even with the security thing it felt good to hold.

What are people's thoughts on the x vs the n5? I'm leaning towards the n5 only because of quad vs dual core, but the always listening and active notifications seem worth considering. Plus moto maker is rumored to go to other carriers on nov. 11....so torn.

Sky Chief

Can anyone recommend a good quality car charger? I have had a few but they all are shitty quality and break or just don't work at all on one of my phones (Galaxy Nexus soon to be Nexus 5 and work Blackberry). Bonus points if it has an extra USB port that is powerful enough to charge an iPad.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a good quality, inexpensive external battery to keep my Nexus, Blackberry, Vita, 3DS XL, and iPad charged while I'm away from home? My guess is that two USB ports should be sufficient but if there are ones with more that would obviously be preferred.

Thanks!

vdlow

On iPhone's Safari there is a button you press to get an easy to read online article. Does Chrome or Android App have same ability?

Also is there a good alternative to Feedly? It sucks.

Press is the most loved alternative, but personally, I prefer gReader. There's also Reader HD and now Flyne also supports Feedly, but it's still in early stages of development, so it may lack features from other apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom