• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone not getting notifications for sms through hangouts? 4 times now I opened it up and saw unread text messages from hours ago. Really frustrating.

GatorBait

It makes sense to combine them into one. Hate having two contact chats for the same person but one says "SMS" on it. Combine that shit Google!

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I understand that it stamps SMS messages with a "sent via SMS" type of label, even though you can't view your past SMS messages alongside Hangouts messages? That being the case, I'm hopeful they eventually give you the option to integrate all messages into one single thread. Could be as simple as a "single-thread view" checkbox in Hangout settings, and then potentially just use an action bar spinner to select which method to send from/to.

mturco

Anyone not getting notifications for sms through hangouts? 4 times now I opened it up and saw unread text messages from hours ago. Really frustrating.

Nope, not yet but I remember having this problem when Hangouts first launched (of course that was with Hangouts messages and not SMS). Another weird thing is that I sometimes open Hangouts on my Nexus 7 and it hasn't updated the conversation. Like it won't show a message I just sent using Hangouts on my phone. I usually have to swipe it away and open it again to get it to refresh.

jokkir

After using 4.4 on my Nexus 4 for two days, I think I'm going to flash back 4.3. The battery hit is way too great and is noticeably slower than 4.3 too.

Of course I'll update whenever it's ready since in starting to like 4.4 the more I use it

Fatalah

So I visited a T-Mobile store yesterday, picked up a few pamphlets, and spoke to a sales rep for a bit.

When I came home, I polled friends and colleagues about T-Mobile via Facebook. The results were split, on both sides of the spectrum. Gah!

I have two grandfathered VZ unlimited plans, and I'm unsure whether to sign another 2-year VZ contract to get new phones, or move to another carrier.

To keep VZ's unlimited data, I need another website glitch, or to buy the devices full price. My wife wants an iPhone, and we can't just accept paying $700 for it. Hanging onto VZ's unlimited data is starting to feel degrading.

I'm hearing that the AOSP browser in 4.4 is fucked-poor scrolling and no text reflow now that its using chrome's rendering engine and to top it all off the interface is broken too.

Thanks google.

Husker86

I'm hearing that the AOSP browser in 4.4 is fucked-poor scrolling and no text reflow now that its using chrome's rendering engine and to top it all off the interface is broken too.

Thanks google.
I've been using Chrome beta as my main browser for a while but I really miss text reflow. I don't understand why it's not an option.

I've been using Chrome beta as my main browser for a while but I really miss text reflow. I don't understand why it's not an option.
Chrome was the first thing I uninstalled when I got my Nexus 7. Can't stand its performance on android devices.

No idea what to switch to. What are good browsers aside from older ones like opera and dolphin?

quaere

UC Browser still has text reflow and uses its own Webkit based layout engine (completely independent from whatever the stock engine is on your phone).

Quasar

The thing is there isn't really anything to announce. Google just has to get off their shit and approve apps, but everything else is already out there. The APIs and the hardware are in the wild already.

Are the apis and sdk finalised? I didnt think so even with huluplus and pandora finally getting chromecast support.

wilflare

Chrome was the first thing I uninstalled when I got my Nexus 7. Can't stand its performance on android devices.

No idea what to switch to. What are good browsers aside from older ones like opera and dolphin?

you can try boat browser. heard pretty good things about it.
I personally use naked browser for its lightweight and fast browsing experience. I get to disable images while on data too so it's really pretty awesome.

Anyone has a Facebook app alternative?

JonnyBrad

you can try boat browser. heard pretty good things about it.
I personally use naked browser for its lightweight and fast browsing experience. I get to disable images while on data too so it's really pretty awesome.

Anyone has a Facebook app alternative?

Boat is a wrapper of the built in browser so any poor performance on the new chromium engine will still show. Same with Dolphin (unless they have changed over to a new engine)

wilflare

Boat is a wrapper of the built in browser so any poor performance on the new chromium engine will still show. Same with Dolphin (unless they have changed over to a new engine)

that sucks..
hmm.. Naked Browser is based on WebView..
but WebView on 4.4 is switching over to Chromium as well..

tino

Banned
I flashed CM 10.2 (android 4.3) on my phone, discovered it comes with a browser thats very similar to the ICS broswer. It has motherfucking quick control too. This is awesome, I don't have to put up with the POS Chrome anymore.

kinggroin

Banned

Next browser

And yes, they ruined the aosp browser. Thankfully bits easy to install the old one.

Emwitus

After using 4.4 on my Nexus 4 for two days, I think I'm going to flash back 4.3. The battery hit is way too great and is noticeably slower than 4.3 too.

Of course I'll update whenever it's ready since in starting to like 4.4 the more I use it
I had to reboot my phone a bunch of times.

Anyone have experience changing your default Android account to a new Gmail address? I kind of want to dump my gmail account that I've had for like 8 years dating back to high school while keeping my Android account and apps.

Is that even possible?

Doopliss

Anyone have experience changing your default Android account to a new Gmail address? I kind of want to dump my gmail account that I've had for like 8 years dating back to high school while keeping my Android account and apps.

Is that even possible?
Is it only the email address you don't like? If so you should just set up a new gmail account and have it forward all email to your current address.

Blackhead

Redarse
Are the smileys/emojis from Hangouts now system wide in 4.4 (e.g. in a Twitter app) or are the black android faces still being used?

Is it only the email address you don't like? If so you should just set up a new gmail account and have it forward all email to your current address.
Yeah part of it just the name. It's unprofessional. And even though I use other addresses for professional affairs, it would still be nice to change it. Plus just the trash accumulated over nearly 10 years. Looking for a fresh start, you know? But then again that may not be worth all the hassle I guess.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah part of it just the name. It's unprofessional. And even though I use other addresses for professional affairs, it would still be nice to change it. Plus just the trash accumulated over nearly 10 years. Looking for a fresh start, you know? But then again that may not be worth all the hassle I guess.
Start a new account and have both accounts on your phone.

This is pretty much what I ended up having to do.

Hm I see. And it would stand to reason that the smartest thing to do is to create any new services (such as porting my mobile number to GV) under the new Gmail account.

I think at least in the Play Store you can switch between accounts I guess.

Groof

Hm I see. And it would stand to reason that the smartest thing to do is to create any new services (such as porting my mobile number to GV) would be to port it under the new Gmail account.

I think at least in the Play Store you can switch between accounts I guess.

Yeah, switching between accounts has become easier now as well, with the pull out side menu. But I don't think you need to change account to access apps you've bought on another account, for me they usually appear as purchased, which is really convenient.

Marco1

I am looking to jump over to android and the nexus5 from ios as I don't see the value in apples HW vs their SW anymore. I just find it all to over-priced for what they offer.
I know Google want all of my info in exchange for free services but that doesn't bother me in this age.
Also I have had enough of waiting for apple maps to catch up even though their fly-over is miles ahead of 3D Google Earth but I like the idea of their sharing panoramics and photosphere.
I agree that the play store will never catch up to the app store but my main concern is what does google services offer over pages, numbers etc?
Thanks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I am looking to jump over to android and the nexus5 from ios as I don't see the value in apples HW vs their SW anymore. I just find it all to over-priced for what they offer.
I know Google want all of my info in exchange for free services but that doesn't bother me in this age.
Also I have had enough of waiting for apple maps to catch up even though their fly-over is miles ahead of 3D Google Earth but I like the idea of their sharing panoramics and photosphere.
I agree that the play store will never catch up to the app store but my main concern is what does google services offer over pages, numbers etc?
Thanks.

Google's Core Apps

YouTube
Chrome
GDocs
Maps
Google+
Calander
Drive
Keep
Photos
Music

Google also bought the Quick Office team so you can use that to open MS Office stuff.

In terms of core apps I'd argue Android is better than iOS in this regard. Only area iOS is still ahead is video and music creation. Something like Apple's Garageband is still king. Google lacks in core apps centered on content creation.

Google's web based office apps are miles ahead of what Apple has traditionally offered too.

Thanks.

you don't have to catch up when you're in the lead.

when will the other app stores catch up to top Play Store apps like SwiftKey, Nova, Tasker, LightFlow, etc?

get a 5s. you'll be happier with it.

Marco1

you don't have to catch up when you're in the lead.

when will the other app stores catch up to top Play Store apps like SwiftKey, Nova, Tasker, LightFlow, etc?

get a 5s. you'll be happier with it.

Thanks for the help. My wife and I love the new web icloud pages features so does google docs better this?
Also if I get a nexus7 instead of the new retina mini how easy is it to install my sons original DVDs as I thought we could but can't with his ipad mini?

Marco1

How comes all the good and new trendy apps always start on iOS first? I don't get that.

I agree, this is the ONLY thing that hesitates me in jumping over. If Google had this I would be gone.
Also is it true that Samsung the major android user is dumping android for it's own OS?

I agree, this is the ONLY thing that hesitates me in jumping over. If Google had this I would be gone.
Also is it true that Samsung the major android user is dumping android for it's own OS?

Samsung is not going to dump Android like that. However, they are paying for time exclusivity of some apps for their devices.

that was sarcasm lol.

more proof that you should stick to iOS.

and Samsung is dumping Android right after Apple cuts them out of their hardware supply chain.

Are you kidding me? WHYYYYY. Why the hell would it be noticeably slower if they optimized it for phones with way less ram? Doesn't the N5 and N4 both have 2GB of ram? I'm sad by your post. I hope my N4 isn't slowed down by this. Maybe I won't update.

mturco

Are you kidding me? WHYYYYY. Why the hell would it be noticeably slower if they optimized it for phones with way less ram? Doesn't the N5 and N4 both have 2GB of ram? I'm sad by your post. I hope my N4 isn't slowed down by this. Maybe I won't update.

These 4.4 Nexus 4 roms are made using 4.3 binaries right now. i.e., this shit is hacked together right now. Wait for the real deal.

Zeppu

multipane_stretch.png

Nexus 10?

jokkir

These 4.4 Nexus 4 roms are made using 4.3 binaries right now. i.e., this shit is hacked together right now. Wait for the real deal.

Hahahah yeah, that's why I reverted back :p I wonder when it will be officially released. It was fun saying "Ok, Google"

If I send back my old S2 to samsung, will the phone's memory be wiped out ?

I lost the backups I had of hundreds of photos I took with that phone, and I'd like to get them back (and be able to use something that is not my current LG L5II piece of shit).

Threi

notag

Thanks google.
Well to be fair the AOSP browser UI has been a bit buggy on tablets for a while now.

But yeah they are trying to push those users to chrome...not too surprised.

Malvingt2

Hello guys, I need help because I am little bit confused.

Anyway my Samsung Galaxy 2 got lost and Boost Mobile upgraded me to the Samsung Galaxy S3. Now according to them and their coverage map I should be getting 4G LTE and such icon should pop on my G3 but it is just showing 4G. they don't know why. I live in New York.

Maybe something is wrong with my phone? should I a take it to a Boost Mobile store? for them to check it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom