• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung has their own shitty ecosystem because it's their backup plan in case google pulls the rug from under them. For a company of that size and dependency on Android, it'd be kind of stupid of them not to have some kind of contingency plan. Nevermind how shitty the implementation is.

Even sony has their own back up solution, just in case. HTC and others probably do too.

Samsung ditching android and going to tizen 100% would go against their ethos and would hurt them a lot more than it would hurt google. Google would still have the ecosystem and the current android that it has developed and plenty of people like. HTC was never as big as samsung is now, but in the beginning, HTC had pretty much a monopoly on Android and then they just fell off the face off. I'm pretty sure Sony, HTC, Motorola, and others are hoping, praying that Samsung ditches android because one or more of them will rise up to get that marketshare that Samsung leaves behind. People are really used to Galaxies now and it's unlikely for people to change unless something happens. Xperias, Motos, HTCs, and LGs produce and are capable of producing powerhouse phones to replace the Galaxies if Sammy were to go that route.

Not saying it would be good for Google and Google would definitely want the android marketshare to be more evenly divided among various OEMS, but Google has been protecting and closing up Android since Amazon forked it and created a successful alternative.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That wallpaper looks straight out of windows 95

Not that it's a bad thing though.

http://jonyiveredesignsthings.tumblr.com

tumblr_mq1j015b5q1svn1xeo1_500.jpg

Hylian7

So maybe I'm late to the party on this, but HOLY BALLS, THE LASTPASS UPDATE IS AMAZING! If you use Last pass, it's worth getting premium for the Android app. It includes a full Chrome-like browser.

thespot84

So maybe I'm late to the party on this, but HOLY BALLS, THE LASTPASS UPDATE IS AMAZING! If you use Last pass, it's worth getting premium for the Android app. It includes a full Chrome-like browser.

the browser extension is vastly improved as well. now if you could only log into two accoutns at the same time!

Quasar

Hopefully someone here is upgrading from a N4 to a N5. Curious to know if they improved headphone audio and battery life.

3phemeral

I apparently bought LastPass a long time ago and didn't know about it. Must have been on sale. MSecure has been really crappy lately. Other devices can't decrypt any of my synced databases, regardless of which device I'm on, whether it's another Android device or Windows 8 app. Maybe I should have been using this all along.

JonnyBrad

"In a few weeks"

It was "in the coming weeks" which could mean the rollout will start at anytime. As it takes the rollout a a couple of weeks to complete.

HTC has said 2 weeks for the GE One. And there would be hell to pay if nexus devices got it after that.

Could someone on T-Mobile confirm whether or not Google Voice's voicemail works properly with T-Mobile's service?

From what I remember, T-Mobile doesn't support conditional call forwarding. And I believe this would fuck up GV's ability to forward missed calls to voicemail. And that's a deal breaker because I hate old school voicemail. VVM is a must for me.

I'm currently on a T-Mobile MVNO - Solavei - but they still don't have LTE because T-Mobile are being dicks to their MVNOs. And I badly want LTE on my Nexus 5.

Arkanius

I actually enjoy using Hangouts for SMS.
But I would have prefered if the SMS messages were threaded with the Hangouts messages.

SimleuqiR

Could someone on T-Mobile confirm whether or not Google Voice's voicemail works properly with T-Mobile's service?

From what I remember, T-Mobile doesn't support conditional call forwarding. And I believe this would fuck up GV's ability to forward missed calls to voicemail. And that's a deal breaker because I hate old school voicemail. VVM is a must for me.

I'm currently on a T-Mobile MVNO - Solavei - but they still don't have LTE because T-Mobile are being dicks to their MVNOs. And I badly want LTE on my Nexus 5.

It works for me. All my missed calls go to the Gvoice voicemail service. I think T-mobile gives you like 500 minutes worth of call forwarding a month or something like that. But the Google Voice app handles the whole change set up for you.

this_guy

Have you taken a look at Metropcs? You get T-Mobile's network and LTE. $50 for unlimited talk and text with 2.5gb of data, or $60 for unlimited data (similar to T-Mobile's $70 plan). Plus these are the prices you pay - there's no additional taxes on top. I looked at Solavei, it sounds good at $49.99/month with 4gb of data, but with taxes and fees you're paying right about the same amount as the Metropcs $60 plan.

I'm back on AT&T GoPhone because I only use about 1gb data/month and I prefer their coverage over T-Mobile's coverage, but it is nice that I can switch between any of the carriers now because I'm not under contract.

tino

Banned

It works. Just ask TMo turn off voice mail. GV will handle the voice mail.

Cool, thanks for the replies! Very helpful.

MetroPCS sounds intriguing. I hadn't considered them.

Another question regarding the popular T-Mobile $30 plan: If you go over $100 minutes, is your voice service completely cut off? Can you go over and then get charged a certain amount the next month? I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Most months, I'd say I don't go over 100 minutes, but one lengthy phone conversation with Mom or Dad can put me over.

this_guy

Cool, thanks for the replies! Very helpful.

MetroPCS sounds intriguing. I hadn't considered them.

Another question regarding the popular T-Mobile $30 plan: If you go over $100 minutes, is your voice service completely cut off? Can you go over and then get charged a certain amount the next month? I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Most months, I'd say I don't go over 100 minutes, but one lengthy phone conversation with Mom or Dad can put me over.

I haven't used that plan, but from what I hear you can go online and purchase additional minutes for 10 cents a minute. So I'm assuming if you're running low you can do a $10 payment for an additional 100 minutes. If you're using T-Mobile and you don't talk much this seems like the way to go, but if you do talk then I think the Metropcs plans should be your next option.

redlemon

What's a good choice for a roughly 10 inch android tablet? I'm looking for something with external storage and mainly want it for reading manga, comics and looking at PDF's. HDMI out would be nice too. The only decent looking one at the moment seems to be sony's but it seems quite pricey for stuff I'm not interested in. (waterproof etc.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's a good choice for a roughly 10 inch android tablet? I'm looking for something with external storage and mainly want it for reading manga, comics and looking at PDF's. HDMI out would be nice too. The only decent looking one at the moment seems to be sony's but it seems quite pricey for stuff I'm not interested in. (waterproof etc.)

Wait and see if we get a Nexus 10 refresh sometime soon.

Also I read comics fine on my N7.

Zeppu

The outside shots (both with and without HDR) are pretty bad. Inside shots are pretty good.

Also, I had no idea the One was so, um, terrible.

One for the UK folks: Bought my mum a Hudl for an early Xmas present, spent this evening setting it up for her. Gotta say for the price it's a great tablet. Performance is pretty snappy, screen looks good and build quality is decent too, feels solid in the hand and the back feels like it's the same material off the N5. Runs 4.2.2 and it feels and looks like stock, other than the Tesco shortcut on the bottom menu. The Tesco software is unobtrusive though, you don't have to worry about being pestered every 5mins to do some grocery shopping. Only downside for me was the weight of it, 390g is a lot for a 7" tablet. Couldn't comment on battery life either.

Definitely impressed, it's miles better than other budget tablets I've had the misfortune of trying (and purchased....)

Where's my 4.3 Sony? :( Everyone else is waiting for KitKat and i'm still waiting for Jellybean *cry*

My Mrs is still waiting for 4.2 on her Xperia T. James Bond would not be impressed.

Nicktendo86

Sorry if I am late with this must just noticed my Google settings app on my nexus 7 has turned grey, compared the version number against the leaked n5 apk I side loaded on my n4 and it matches. Same in my wife's n7, so Google have updated play services. Must be getting ready to push KitKat soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom