• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

Next Browser and Habit Browser allow it and I imagine they're not the only ones either. HB is my browser of choice, it doesn't support extensions but is more customizable than anything else I've seen so far.

thank you, I just downloaded Habit and will give it a try.
Dolphin is just so comfortable, I wish it hadnt that many bugs.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
guys s4 keeps turning itself off and is a bitch to turn back on, what gives?

had it less than a month on contract

longdi

Banned
I got a LG G2 for my dad birthday. I think it is pretty impressive. 5.2" feels like a 4.7", it must have the best ratio of size and handling.

Not a fan of LG design, but the G2 is some good engineering shit.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Holy crap.

I'm getting SMS messages to and from my Voice number through Hangouts.

Holy crap.

7218823442_7fbc71f835.jpg

I got a text message to my GV number from a friend about a half hour ago on my N5, and it popped up on Hangouts.

To test it out, I've been sending texts between my work cell (a shitty old HTC Incredible 2) and Hangouts on my N5. And it works!

The only snag is that the SMS thread on Hangouts shows it being from some random number (which I'm guessing is the GV relay number), but within the conversation, each message is labeled with the correct number.

I'm on my lunch break, but I'll try to post some screenshots when I get back to the office.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got a text message to my GV number from a friend about a half hour ago on my N5, and it popped up on Hangouts.

To test it out, I've been sending texts between my work cell (a shitty old HTC Incredible 2) and Hangouts on my N5. And it works!

The only snag is that the SMS thread on Hangouts shows it being from some random number (which I'm guessing is the GV relay number), but within the conversation, each message is labeled with the correct number.

I'm on my lunch break, but I'll try to post some screenshots when I get back to the office.

Have you tried sending messages out of Hangouts? I assume it will use your carrier number.

Have you tried sending messages out of Hangouts? I assume it will use your carrier number.
Yes, I actually just tried this, and if I initiate an SMS conversation through Hangouts, it comes from my carrier number. (Damn.)

But if I respond to an SMS that I've received through my GV number, my response is shown as being from my GV number.

snacknuts

we all knew her
That's bizarre. I just tested it with messages from carrier numbers and GV numbers with no luck. I don't suppose you're on Sprint?

rc213

This is simple just open up Google Voice and you can change where you receive your txt messages (Inside GV/Messaging App which is now Hangouts).

This is simple just open up Google Voice and you can change where you receive your txt messages (Inside GV/Messaging App which is now Hangouts).

Yeah, but what surprised me is that I can actually send back text messages through Hangouts using my GV number, provided I'm not originating the conversation by starting a brand new Hangout. I assumed that any SMS sent from Hangouts would show up as being from my carrier number.

Meaning that to some degree, I can use Hangouts to send and receive texts from my GV number.

You are correct, though - when setting up GV for the first time on my N5 on Monday, I neglected to switch the text message setting. I have the "Receive text messages" setting set as "Via the messaging app" instead of "Via Google Voice."

snacknuts

we all knew her

That took care of it, thanks. Also, trying to send an MMS from my GV number in Hangouts wrecked the app.

SimleuqiR

Yeah, but what surprised me is that I can actually send back text messages through Hangouts using my GV number, provided I'm not originating the conversation by starting a brand new Hangout. I assumed that any SMS sent from Hangouts would show up as being from my carrier number.

Meaning that to some degree, I can use Hangouts to send and receive texts from my GV number.

Google Voice will assign a separate #, when forwarding text messages to your cell#, for each contact sending you an SMS to your GV#. When you reply to this unique #, GV will then send that SMS to the contacts real #.

Google Voice will assign a separate #, when forwarding text messages to your cell#, for each contact sending you an SMS to your GV#. When you reply to this unique #, GV will then send that SMS to the contacts real #.

Gotcha. I had a pretty good understanding of how the relay process works for voice calls in GV, but I was less familiar with the mechanics of SMS in it.

Definitely an interesting surprise. I honestly don't send and receive too many SMS messages these days - I've gotten most of my contacts to use Hangouts directly - so I feel confident that this allows me to manage the scant few that I do receive through Hangouts.

The less I have to use the GV app, the better.

I just got the LG OG Pro, it gets alot of small things right compare to the Note 2. It has full color configuable LED notificatiimon light; SD slot that you can take out the card without turnning off the phone; slightly larger battery and IR blaster.

And it got completely ignored in the market because it has no pen. You can get a new one 100-150 cheaper than a Note 2.

I don't think LG will make a Pro2. Looking forward to HTC One Max fail just as badly.
Bingo. Plus people knew that the Note 3 was mere months away.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gotcha. I had a pretty good understanding of how the relay process works for voice calls in GV, but I was less familiar with the mechanics of SMS in it.

Definitely an interesting surprise. I honestly don't send and receive too many SMS messages these days - I've gotten most of my contacts to use Hangouts directly - so I feel confident that this allows me to manage the scant few that I do receive through Hangouts.

Agreed. Wow, what a welcome surprise!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Hmm! So if I text it back, it'll use SMS, right? I wish it would just use data like GV app or Whatsapp.

Hmm! So if I text it back, it'll use SMS, right? I wish it would just use data like GV app or Whatsapp.

Yes.

Just to recap, you need to change your GV settings so that the SMS app (in this case, Hangouts) receives text messages.

Then, if someone sends an SMS to your GV number, it will pop up in Hangouts. If you respond to it within that new Hangouts conversation, the recipient will receive it from your GV number.

But if you send a text message by starting a brand new Hangout, it will come from your carrier number. So don't do that.

Basically, wait for Mom to text you, and then never delete that Hangout.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Almost there. It's not as helpful for someone like me who has no text plan.

yyzjohn

Banned
Anyone running a 4.4 build on their Nexus 4?

Can you confirm if
a) the Bluetooth audio streaming is fixed and
b) if you can now connect to LEAP wifi? (This used to work in Android 4.1 and was broken since 4.2)

tino

Banned

I wish google voice apk can take over the dialer app completely. When I am on my Note, the dial history was able to show my dial out number correctly. But on my OG Pro, my dial out history shows GV's relay number. And I have to go to voice.google.com to see the number I dial out.

Google should just make the GV app take over the dialer and the contact app.

Is there an AOSP dialer app I can download from some where?

Nicktendo86

Eurgh, just noticed a dead pixel on my nexus 7 last night, but I won this via the KitKat competition. Do you think Google would accept any warranty responsibility for it?

I wish google voice apk can take over the dialer app completely. When I am on my Note, the dial history was able to show my dial out number correctly. But on my OG Pro, my dial out history shows GV's relay number. And I have to go to voice.google.com to see the number I dial out.

Google should just make the GV app take over the dialer and the contact app.

Is there an AOSP dialer app I can download from some where?

This is probably a technical issue with your carrier.

For the longest time on Solavei (the T-Mo MVNO I was on until yesterday), the GV relay number kept showing up as the call recipient instead of the actual recipient.

But about six months or so, Solavei got it sorted out, and it has functioned normally ever since.

tino

Banned
This is probably a technical issue with your carrier.

For the longest time on Solavei (the T-Mo MVNO I was on until yesterday), the GV relay number kept showing up as the call recipient instead of the actual recipient.

But about six months or so, Solavei got it sorted out, and it has functioned normally ever since.

Same carrier just differ phone and dialer.apk.

SimleuqiR

Google opinion reward

Tell google more about yourself than they already know and get some google play credit.

US only for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zpKBS9pL-o

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks

Downloaded earlier. Definitely going to try it out.

SO AP has a great write up on what is ART:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/

ART, which stands for Android Runtime, handles app execution in a fundamentally different way from Dalvik. The current runtime relies on a Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler to interpret bytecode, a generic version of the original application code. In a manner of speaking, apps are only partially compiled by developers, then the resulting code must then go through an interpreter on a user's device each and every time it is run. The process involves a lot of overhead and isn't particularly efficient, but the mechanism makes it easy for apps to run on a variety of hardware and architectures. ART is set to change this process by pre-compiling that bytecode into machine language when apps are first installed, turning them into truly native apps. This process is called Ahead-Of-Time (AOT) compilation. By removing the need to spin up a new virtual machine or run interpreted code, startup times can be cut down immensely and ongoing execution will become faster, as well.

So essentially installed apps on your device will run in native language. This is neat. Hope that by 5.0 this is the way app run on Android.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thinking of getting the Moto X.

Anyone have it? Any issues?

Supposedly they already patched the few issues this phone had. So you should be good to go.

As always check around for the best price. For example if you are okay with just the black version Amazon has it for way under $100 on most carriers.

Supposedly they already patched the few issues this phone had. So you should be good to go.

As always check around for the best price. For example if you are okay with just the black version Amazon has it for way under $100 on most carriers.

Thanks for this. We will be going thru Costco, as they have a good protection plan, and they are matching Best Buy's price this week.

Cruceh

Banned
Eurgh, just noticed a dead pixel on my nexus 7 last night, but I won this via the KitKat competition. Do you think Google would accept any warranty responsibility for it?

I have two dead pixels on my N5 as well. Pretty annoyed with it, will try to get it RMA'd. I talk to them over the phone and they're going to send me one. Few minutes later I get an e-mail.
Just in case we don't need to replace the device, can you first please perform a Factory Data Reset. I have included steps below. If this does not rectify the problem, can you please let me know as soon as possible.
Factory reset? Really? Guess I'll do it anyway just in case they can monitor these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom