• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Sorry if I am late with this must just noticed my Google settings app on my nexus 7 has turned grey, compared the version number against the leaked n5 apk I side loaded on my n4 and it matches. Same in my wife's n7, so Google have updated play services. Must be getting ready to push KitKat soon!

Still the same green on my N7, but it starting to hit is kind of telling. Hope to hear of KitKat getting pushed this week.

Sorry if I am late with this must just noticed my Google settings app on my nexus 7 has turned grey, compared the version number against the leaked n5 apk I side loaded on my n4 and it matches. Same in my wife's n7, so Google have updated play services. Must be getting ready to push KitKat soon!

Mine too, only noticed now.

The new Photos app came with Google Plus, right? Just noticed it now too.

Husker86

Got the free SIM from T-Mobile. Was going to setup an account on my Nexus 4 to check how coverage is...I can't even make an account because I can't select a city in Nebraska (I assume because they don't officially support the area).

God dammit T-Mobile...

MattDoza

Got the free SIM from T-Mobile. Was going to setup an account on my Nexus 4 to check how coverage is...I can't even make an account because I can't select a city in Nebraska (I assume because they don't officially support the area).

God dammit T-Mobile...

image.php

XenoRaven

Got my Nexus 5 today and I'm loving it so far. No SIM card yet, but I've been messing around on my home WiFi network.

Two questions. One, is it possible to have alerts show up on the main screen when the phone is locked like on the iPhone? For like text messages and stuff? Two, what's a good podcasting app?

MattDoza

Got my Nexus 5 today and I'm loving it so far. No SIM card yet, but I've been messing around on my home WiFi network.

Two questions. One, is it possible to have alerts show up on the main screen when the phone is locked like on the iPhone? For like text messages and stuff? Two, what's a good podcasting app?

Free? Podcast Addict. Paid? Pocketcasts. Not sure about the screen wake. Maybe in a third party app.

Try Dynamic Notifications. I can't live without it now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Dashclock does lock screen notifications.

Threi

notag
One, is it possible to have alerts show up on the main screen when the phone is locked like on the iPhone?
Android and IOS handle notifications fundamentally different. For android you have to remember that all notifications go through the status bar and notification pane, so anything you need to see will be up there/expanded when you slide it down.

That being said because it's android you will still have apps that can display it on the screen, like dashclock + dash notifier.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Antennapod has been and always will be the best free podcasting app.

terrier

Does anybody know if sendig pictures via Hangouts sends the full pic uncompressed or , like Whatsapp does, compresses it to save data ?

Does it still work with 4.4. Aren't lot lock screen widgets dead?
It still works. Lock screen widgets aren't dead on kitkat, you now get the option to turn them on or off.

- - - -

Im using Hangouts a lot more now that it's my SMS app. Is there a way to not show Google+ contacts/followers/whatever in the app, and only on the phone contracts?

Phoneblet is even worse than Phablet. But you do have to give them credit for proving it could be done successfully. People laughed at the first Note. Now other OEM's are copying the shit.

And they're not even copying it right. None of them have a fucking stylus, so what's the point?

Nicktendo86

Hey at least there will be the
buggy
AOSP releases and 3rd party knock offs.
That's the thing, I have sideloaded the new launcher on my n4 and it just isn't as smooth as the old one or it running on the n5, side loading isn't a solution in my eyes. I thought 4.4 was supposed to be a 'great experience for everyone', except it won't be coming to the galaxy nexus at all and the great new launcher (as Duarte says, the best part of the new experience) won't be coming for any older nexus devices. INCLUDING the CURRENT gen nexus 7! I thought this release was about defragmentation but they are fragmenting the launcher experience on their own nexus devices! WTF Google?

That's the thing, I have sideloaded the new launcher on my n4 and it just isn't as smooth as the old one or it running on the n5, side loading isn't a solution in my eyes. I thought 4.4 was supposed to be a 'great experience for everyone', except it won't be coming to the galaxy nexus at all and the great new launcher (as Duarte says, the best part of the new experience) won't be coming for any older nexus devices. INCLUDING the CURRENT gen nexus 7! I thought this release was about defragmentation but they are fragmenting the launcher experience on their own nexus devices! WTF Google?
Well lets just hope the info is wrong or doesnt include nexus devices. Otherwise, what is the point of a Nexus device? I can understand if some features dont make the cut for older devices, but the launcher is the thing you look at first, its the theme of the phone OS, and Google might fragment it now.

I downloaded the APK onto my S4 and it works just fine. Not a big deal to download and install it.
Its not the same apparently. Its still a Nexus 5 app and requires more apks to run. Besides I dont want to bother with these things anymore, that is why I bought a Nexus device.

Cipherr

And they're not even copying it right. None of them have a fucking stylus, so what's the point?

I don't get it either. Seems so obvious.

Well lets just hope the info is wrong or doesnt include nexus devices. Otherwise, what is the point of a Nexus device? I can understand if some features dont make the cut for older devices, but the launcher is the thing you look at first, its the theme of the phone OS, and Google might fragment it now.

Im personally not buying it. It reeks of them 'feeling' things out with the OEM's before they move forward. If they wanted to make it a launcher, why not make it a launcher? Why make it a part of Google Search that goes through GPS where no OEM's can really block it?

The Home APK is definitely coming to the playstore. It seems incredibly obvious what they are doing. I think its all going to happen in this 'early 2014' period they keep talking about, where the Phone App will get Google profile integration, and GVoice will be integrated with Hangouts and all of that.

Nicktendo86

Im personally not buying it. It reeks of them 'feeling' things out with the OEM's before they move forward. If they wanted to make it a launcher, why not make it a launcher? Why make it a part of Google Search that goes through GPS where no OEM's can really block it?

The Home APK is definitely coming to the playstore. It seems incredibly obvious what they are doing. I think its all going to happen in this 'early 2014' period they keep talking about, where the Phone App will get Google profile integration, and GVoice will be integrated with Hangouts and all of that.
You are probably right but it is still frustrating. If Google stick to their 18 month update plan the nexus 4, by the time it gets the new launcher in spring, would be on the latest version of android with all new components for what, about 6 months?

ajpw

You are probably right but it is still frustrating. If Google stick to their 18 month update plan the nexus 4, by the time it gets the new launcher in spring, would be on the latest version of android with all new components for what, about 6 months?

the nexus 4 will receive updates way after 18 months

Groof

Dashclock if you want to see notifications when you power on the screen. Also remember that if you only have slide to unlock you can still pull down the notification bar to see all your notifications.
If you want it to light up when you get a notification, I'd say LightFlow is your best bet. Not only can you use it to customise the colour of the notification LED for specific notifications, but you can also make it light up the display when they're received.

As for podcasts, AntennaPod as a free alternative and PocketCasts if you feel like paying.

Nicktendo86

the nexus 4 will receive updates way after 18 months
I am not holding my breath tbh. I know there were problems with the galaxy nexus, chip maker longer around etc but if Google were were not willing to go the extra mile to demonstrate how well 4.4 runs on one of their older devices why would they bother with the n4?

I got an update to the Google music app this morning and it seems like it broke the artist info when playing music through Bluetooth in my car, I just get a generic message that it's connected now. Anyone know if something got changed or if it's just my phone that's not working properly?

ajpw

I am not holding my breath tbh. I know there were problems with the galaxy nexus, chip maker longer around etc but if Google were were not willing to go the extra mile to demonstrate how well 4.4 runs on one of their older devices why would they bother with the n4?

yeah but this whole 4.4 runs on 512mb ram is designed for new devices going forward - not old devices

This was something that I suspected since they started to quetly push system apk's as Apps on the play store (stock keyboard for example). It became more obvious with all the Kitkat leaks.

However, this doesn't apply to the Nexus line. There is no OEM to feel things out with. If the 'old' Nexus line doesn't get (compatible) features from the Nexus 5/KitKat then this pretty much makes Google another OEM. (obviously I'm not expecting things like HDR+ or always listening, these are hardware specific things)

I always felt as Nexus being 'the AOSP device'. What we are getting is 'the Google device'.

AOSP might be left to the mercy of XDA and Cyanogenmod.

Moff

Is dolphin really still the only browser that allows you to disable images?
I really wanted to change my browser but I simply dont find a better one.

tapatalk doesnt have the option either, but apparently I am the only one who wants to limit mobile traffic

Akito

Is dolphin really still the only browser that allows you to disable images?
I really wanted to change my browser but I simply dont find a better one.

tapatalk doesnt have the option either, but apparently I am the only one who wants to limit mobile traffic
Next Browser and Habit Browser allow it and I imagine they're not the only ones either. HB is my browser of choice, it doesn't support extensions but is more customizable than anything else I've seen so far.

terrier

Opera mini is the browser i use if i plan to preserve data, or avoid heavy gifs on neogaf mobile for instance. You can disable images as well as load them with lower quality which saves bandwith but also allows to see them

tino

Banned

I just got the LG OG Pro, it gets alot of small things right compare to the Note 2. It has full color configuable LED notificatiimon light; SD slot that you can take out the card without turnning off the phone; slightly larger battery and IR blaster.

And it got completely ignored in the market because it has no pen. You can get a new one 100-150 cheaper than a Note 2.

I don't think LG will make a Pro2. Looking forward to HTC One Max fail just as badly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can whoever is a mod for this thread PM me? I wanna clear it that I can make an OT for our Android site a bunch of us in this thread write for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom