• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
True LTE Speed on my One X

10726389143_23dfc106e4_o.png

VPhys

Gotcha. I had a pretty good understanding of how the relay process works for voice calls in GV, but I was less familiar with the mechanics of SMS in it.

Definitely an interesting surprise. I honestly don't send and receive too many SMS messages these days - I've gotten most of my contacts to use Hangouts directly - so I feel confident that this allows me to manage the scant few that I do receive through Hangouts.

The less I have to use the GV app, the better.

Can you explain how you convinced them.

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2013/11/07/on-jelly-bean-4-3-kit-kat-4-4/

"First up, Jelly Bean 4.3

We’re pleased to tell you that we’ll start rolling Android 4.3 for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia SP, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 from next month*.

We also mentioned that a few of our products would be jumping software version – so, we can confirm that Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V* will be upgraded to Android Jelly Bean 4.3… also from next month.

And, to Kit Kat 4.4

We’re also happy to tell you about the first raft of Xperia products that we’ll make Android 4.4 Kit Kat available for – they are: Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1*.

On that, please stay tuned to the social newsroom and @SonyMobileNews, where we’ll update you with specific info on product upgrade timings & software features as things progress."

Confirms the 2014 roll out for 4.4, also confirms that the late 2012 line up will at least get 4.3, I have been told that they should get 4.4 as well (as well as the SP) but they aren't listed yet.

The 4.3 update for the Z and ZL were delayed by 3-4 weeks because of poor performance, they didn't want to release ROMs with slowdown and bugs.

gutshot

My Google keyboard changed to KitKat style, with the grey colors and new smiley menu, but there was no keyboard app update. How is such a thing possible?

My Google keyboard changed to KitKat style, with the grey colors and new smiley menu, but there was no keyboard app update. How is such a thing possible?

Background update, just like Play Services. The app probably isn't visible in your installed apps on the Store, but if you google it on your phone, you can access it directly via the store (and update it manually for example)

gutshot

Background update, just like Play Services. The app probably isn't visible in your installed apps on the Store, but if you google it on your phone, you can access it directly via the store (and update it manually for example)

Ah ok. The app is visible in the My Apps section of the Play Store, but wasn't under recently updated, so that is why I was confused.

tino

Banned
So I picked up the N5 I ordered for my friend. I will root it and maybe unlock the bootloader before I band it to him.

I got to tell you guys. The back look worse in person than on photo. I joked about it looking like a tire in press photo. Know what it kind of feel like that in person. For the record I really like HTC X8's soft back in person. I think the difference is that X8 has a very pleassant pastel purple color, and its very slightly translucent. This, is just the cheapest kind of matt black.

Plus on the X8 the purple is the main character of the back, here the main character is the giant font, the black is just background. And its testureless, so I think it will not age well after 1-2 years.

Is the IMEI code a sticker you can remove? I think most people will not remove it and it will make the back even uglier. Google could have just put the IMEI sticker of the side of the bezel and make it much better on the eyes.

panda21

this cover app is pretty awesome. its a shame ART isn't ready yet because it could really do with near instant app loading. its still usable though

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I could have Nexus 5 internals and camera within a Nexus 4 body, I probably would.

OmegaFax

It looks like the update for Hangouts is live on the Play Store. Had Hangouts disabled because I don't use Google+ but it looks like it's a decent default SMS/MMS messenger in it's own right.

yyzjohn

Banned
My keyboard got updated along the way somehow, the color is now different when using swipe input and showing the suggestions. It's like Google is slowing pushing out KitKat to me piece by piece.

Toki767

They updated the Google Keyboard on the Play Store. Swipe to the space bar to add a space so you don't have to lift your finger when typing a sentence.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They updated the Google Keyboard on the Play Store. Swipe to the space bar to add a space so you don't have to lift your finger when typing a sentence.

I got that yesterday. I like how the swipe trail is no longer blue.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I've got root access on a Droid Razr M running 4.1.2

Is it still possible to unlock the boot loader using something like Motochopper? I've never really messed around with Cyanogen before, want to try it on this device instead messing around with my incoming Nexus 5.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I've got root access on a Droid Razr M running 4.1.2

Is it still possible to unlock the boot loader using something like Motochopper? I've never really messed around with Cyanogen before, want to try it on this device instead messing around with my incoming Nexus 5.

I'm assuming you are on verizon and If you didn't take the latest OTA you can unlock your bootloader using this.

snacknuts

we all knew her
After a great deal of consideration, I am returning my Note 3 to Verizon tonight and getting a G2 instead. With the price drop on the G2 (you can get it for $449 through 11/11) and all the positive stuff I've heard about it (and a glowing review from my friend), I've decided that the Note 3 isn't $250 better. Here's hoping that an N5 ROM finds its way to the G2 in the near future.

Groof

If you open up the play store and go to my apps you don't see it waiting to update?

This is how Google's staged roll outs work. Even though the update is technically there, not everyone will be getting it straight away. A lot of us (me included) will have to wait a couple of more days for the update.

Yes Xperia L. Just got 4.2 as well. Desire series is a steaming pile of shit. Quad A5 is much weaker than the dual Krait in the L.

after a brief look at the spec sheets, Xperia L.

L definitely. If you don't need to go Android I'd suggest a Lumia 520 as another option.

Thanks for the responses.

I already got a feeling that my noob "quad core > dual core" kneejerk reaction was bound to be wrong. I was leaning towards the HTC, but now you guys made me second guess.

I'm salivating over the Lumia 520, but WP is not an option for me.

If Android gaf has found some kind of consensus over what the best phone is in the Desire 500 / Xperia L price range, please do tell. There are too many phones and I know too little of them to make an informed decision alone. :-/

SimleuqiR

Well, thank you base T-mobile:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/07/t-mobile-enables-mms-for-google-voice-users/

We’re happy to announce this week another step towards improving MMS support for Google Voice. T-Mobile has allowed MMS messages from their users to be sent to Google Voice users. Similar to MMS messages from Sprint users, these messages will appear in Gmail, and you can be notified of the message via SMS. We continue to work with other carriers to broaden support for messaging and bring MMS to Hangouts. More good things are coming!

low end Android phones are garbage. What's your budget?

I'd say around 250 euros.

I don't get why lower end android phones are garbage though. Aren't this years 250 phones last year's 450 phones?

Just for some context:

What I don't really need: gaming, music playback, video playback, amazing pictures, giant screen.

What I do want
: no hickups during normal use of messaging and phoning, smooth browsing, possibility to take a decent picture, a bunch of functional apps (weather, mail, social, ...), and I'll probably use a launcher over the standard UI, and decent battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom