• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emwitus

I'm getting worried guys. THe play store says it's updated the hangout app and my phone hasn't updated? Should i be worried.

EDIT: And does sideloading an apk break warranty? I did that before and had to factory reset my phone due to bugs.

EDIT:Nvm mind. I just rebooted the phone.

EDIT: Yup, my nexus 4 won't update the hangouts app. FUCK. Never been rooted but i sideloaded the apk for the app before and did a factory reset. Is my phone messed up? Am i over reacting?

tino

Banned
I'd say around 250 euros.

I don't get why lower end android phones are garbage though. Aren't this years 250 phones last year's 450 phones?

Just for some context:

What I don't really need: gaming, music playback, video playback, amazing pictures, giant screen.

What I do want
: no hickups during normal use of messaging and phoning, smooth browsing, possibility to take a decent picture, a bunch of functional apps (weather, mail, social, ...), and I'll probably use a launcher over the standard UI, and decent battery life.

Get a used flagship phone, don't get a new low end phone. You will hate yourself. I am sure you can get a flagship LG or HTC for very cheap.

Get a used Nexus 4. Hell, I'll sell you mine.

Get a used flagship phone, don't get a new low end phone. You will hate yourself. I am sure you can get a flagship LG or HTC for very cheap.

I'm... I'm distrustful towards second hand electronics... I'm sure it's just a prejudice, but I feel like I don't have enough "control" over the sell.

Bboy AJ, where are you from? How much would you sell your Nexus 4 for?

i dunno what it's like elsewhere, but in the USA you can get an LG Optimus F3 for $150, and it's far from garbage.

Thanks for the responses.

I already got a feeling that my noob "quad core > dual core" kneejerk reaction was bound to be wrong. I was leaning towards the HTC, but now you guys made me second guess.

I'm salivating over the Lumia 520, but WP is not an option for me.

If Android gaf has found some kind of consensus over what the best phone is in the Desire 500 / Xperia L price range, please do tell. There are too many phones and I know too little of them to make an informed decision alone. :-/

yeah core count is one factor. it's like having 4 thimbles instead of 2 big cups.

I'm getting worried guys. THe play store says it's updated the hangout app and my phone hasn't updated? Should i be worried.

EDIT: And does sideloading an apk break warranty? I did that before and had to factory reset my phone due to bugs.

EDIT:Nvm mind. I just rebooted the phone.

EDIT: Yup, my nexus 4 won't update the hangouts app. FUCK. Never been rooted but i sideloaded the apk for the app before and did a factory reset. Is my phone messed up? Am i over reacting?
Can you get into the app info of hangouts? Uninstall any updates it should revert the app to the factory settings.

Sideloading apks shouldn't do any harm. It's just another way to install apps outside of Google Play. Think of it as an exe installer on a PC.

Nexus 10 continuing to drop in price, it's on a Groupon deal in the UK for £249/289. (3rd party seller)

If it gets down to £199 then I'll be tempted. Unless the new N10 is smaller, lighter and with better battery life.

dubq

GAF, HALP! I just got my N5, am setting it up, installed the sim, updated the contacts, etc... and all of my friends SMSing me are coming through on my old iPhone as iMessages (I have it up on wifi due to it not having a sim). I confirmed with them that they are sending it to my phone number and not my email address.

I unregistered my iPhone with Apple as well.. but SMS keep getting converted to iMessages when they send them. Can anyone help me resolve this?

tino

Banned
I'm... I'm distrustful towards second hand electronics... I'm sure it's just a prejudice, but I feel like I don't have enough "control" over the sell.

Bboy AJ, where are you from? How much would you sell your Nexus 4 for?

I am sure you can get a HTC One X or LG Optimus G for 250 new. You won't see me recommending any midtier phone.

GAF, HALP! I just got my N5, am setting it up, installed the sim, updated the contacts, etc... and all of my friends SMSing me are coming through on my old iPhone as iMessages (I have it up on wifi due to it not having a sim). I confirmed with them that they are sending it to my phone number and not my email address.

I unregistered my iPhone with Apple as well.. but SMS keep getting converted to iMessages when they send them. Can anyone help me resolve this?
did you turn off iMessage before unregistering your iPhone?

Emwitus

Can you get into the app info of hangouts? Uninstall any updates it should revert the app to the factory settings.

Sideloading apks shouldn't do any harm. It's just another way to install apps outside of Google Play. Think of it as an exe installer on a PC.
Thanks for the tips Hellblazer. I tried uninstalling the app and updating but still no SMS option in settings :-( is there any way I can check the version of hangouts I have?

Edit:
This is how Google's staged roll outs work. Even though the update is technically there, not everyone will be getting it straight away. A lot of us (me included) will have to wait a couple of more days for the update.

Okay this might explain it. I wonder how Google determined who gets the update first

catmincer

I don't get why lower end android phones are garbage though. Aren't this years 250 phones last year's 450 phones?

Just for some context:

What I don't really need: gaming, music playback, video playback, amazing pictures, giant screen.

What I do want
: no hickups during normal use of messaging and phoning, smooth browsing, possibility to take a decent picture, a bunch of functional apps (weather, mail, social, ...), and I'll probably use a launcher over the standard UI, and decent battery life.

Xperia T/V is a good option. T has bigger screen and V is waterproof. They're reasonably cheap now and will get 4.3 next month. Both have microSD card slots.

You could also look at the Galaxy Mega 5.8 too. Not great hardware but cheap and 5.8" screen is insane.

gutshot

Thanks for the tips Hellblazer. I tried uninstalling the app and updating but still no SMS option in settings :-( is there any way I can check the version of hangouts I have?

Edit:

Okay this might explain it. I wonder how Google determined who gets the update first

This happened to me too. Uninstalled the Hangouts apk so I could get the official update but Google hasn't pushed the update to me yet. Just have to wait it out. Back to the default messaging app for now.

yyzjohn

Banned
Nope. Says its up to date, even though the store version is 2.0 and my installed version is 1.2.xx

That sucks. I got mine this afternoon after I was playing around with the ported Nexus 5 kitkat rom for the nexus 4. I decided to go back to default, so I wiped my phone, got back to 4.3, and then as it was updating all the apps it gave me the Hangouts and keyboard update.

Just for some context:

What I do want

You may want until after the moto g is announced on the 13th in order to make your decision. It's supposed to be just a tad worse than the X spec wise, but expected to be £135 off contract (or probably around $199/EU199).

If you can't wait, I would go with the Xperia L, based on the choices you gave.

Quasar

no idea. i just know that is one of the things people suggest. so many people have problems with iMessage and even more have problems when they leave.

What sort of problems? I never tried it as I feel vendor specific messaging apps are pretty useless. Of course messaging fragmentation is one of my big bugbears. We're going from universal email and sms to a total clusterfuck.

SimleuqiR

Fuck continuing to get carriers to support that workaround...make it work like it should!

I guess it's better than nothing though.

I'm going to quote Faceless:

honestly, iMessage seems more like a Google product than an Apple product. pushed out in beta status and continues to not work properly for years...

I think the reason It's taking so long for Voice to be integrated into Hangouts is because Google wants to do it right.

I have a question, how does iMessage handle SMS? Does Apple use a "forwarding" # ala Gvoice? Seeing as how people can get SMSs intended for you when you switch devices, is iMessage using the IMEI # to forward texts?

How are the carriers involved in the delivery of these SMSs?

Husker86

Ancient shit like MMS in the smartphone age should be banned.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? Unfortunately too many people still use MMS (mostly by "accident" from group messaging) and my conversion powers can't hit them all.

I'm going to quote Faceless:

I think the reason It's taking so long for Voice to be integrated into Hangouts is because Google wants to do it right.

I have a question, how does iMessage handle SMS? Does Apple use a "forwarding" # ala Gvoice? Seeing as how people can get SMSs intended for you when you switch devices, is iMessage using the IMEI # to forward texts?

How are the carriers involved in the delivery of these SMSs?

The iPhone checks the phone number and if it is registered to receive iMessage. If it is, the message bypasses the carriers completely and sends through iMessage.

The pain of this is, for people like me who switch between phones (I have a 5s and a couple Android phones), you need to explicitly unregister your number from iMessage on your iPhone before you switch phones. You say "Seeing as how people can get SMSs intended for you when you switch devices", but that's not always true. It's a clusterfuck. I haven't received texts from one of my iPhone friends for weeks. Since I'm selling my GS4 and waiting for my Nexus 5, I've been using my iPhone recently...I'm going to have to remember to disable iMessage before I switch back to Android.

jokkir

Here's my battery stats on my Nexus 4 using a 4.4 Kitkat port:
Dy9Zy9S.jpg
mGJDu9u.jpg

There was still around 15% left so I could have reached to 4 hours screen on time, I think.

Anyone with a Nexus 5 want to compare?

Laekon

I got 1 day 10 hrs with 3 hrs of screen time on my Nexus 5. Had wifi on and a crappy cell connection most of that time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
you could say the same thing about email....

Nah, email can be made good (see Gmail.) The format is kind of horrid (ever view a raw email message? It's essentially bytecode, practically unreadable) but it's been wrangled into something pleasant that will always have a place on the internet. And it's kind of the last open messaging system left (XMPP seems to be dying a slow death.)

MMS is just decrepit. Anything that's tied so closely tocarriers should be tossed on the fire.

Doopliss

It seems like there's no way now to use voice input unless you have the key shown on the main keyboard, replacing the comma. What was wrong with letting it be placed on the symbols keyboard?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Returned my Note 3 for a G2 last night. The KnockOn feature is a stroke of goddamn genius. Chrome is smoother and faster on the G2, and the battery life seems impossibly good, even though I have had it less than 24 hrs. Early impressions are extremely positive. Biggest complaint at this point is that LG's skin makes TouchWiz look like a work of art, but it's mostly customizable.

terrier

Returned my Note 3 for a G2 last night. The KnockOn feature is a stroke of goddamn genius.

do you mean the double tap to turn on screen? yup it is really convenient, i wish could do that on my nexus 5.
As i said in the n5 thread, whilo stock android is nice, it is a bit barebones in options and launchers from LG/Samsung/sony, while a bit bloated and memory hungry, sometimes do have a few options that are really nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom