• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Returned my Note 3 for a G2 last night. The KnockOn feature is a stroke of goddamn genius. Chrome is smoother and faster on the G2, and the battery life seems impossibly good, even though I have had it less than 24 hrs. Early impressions are extremely positive. Biggest complaint at this point is that LG's skin makes TouchWiz look like a work of art, but it's mostly customizable.

Does it still have the qslide crap in the notification screen you can not turn off?

Groof

Got my N4 back

im8ny0ajejTN4.gif

rdy 4 kitkatzzz

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I got my first Google Opinions Survey. Shit took like maybe 30 seconds and then Google threw me a $1 in play store credit.

Man give me some more of that Google!

wilflare

Returned my Note 3 for a G2 last night. The KnockOn feature is a stroke of goddamn genius. Chrome is smoother and faster on the G2, and the battery life seems impossibly good, even though I have had it less than 24 hrs. Early impressions are extremely positive. Biggest complaint at this point is that LG's skin makes TouchWiz look like a work of art, but it's mostly customizable.

don't tempt me to return my Note 3. ahhh

Got a Pebble a couple days ago.

Damn, I love this thing. Don't know how I survived without it.Hopefully can be updated to Bluetoothj 4.0 in the future because with a bit less battery hit this thing would be essential.

tino

Banned
I got 2 opinion survey so far and made 2 easy bux. Too bad I have tons of credit on Play store from the KitKat bars and nothing I want to buy.

I'd say around 250 euros.

I don't get why lower end android phones are garbage though. Aren't this years 250 phones last year's 450 phones?

Just for some context:

What I don't really need: gaming, music playback, video playback, amazing pictures, giant screen.

What I do want
: no hickups during normal use of messaging and phoning, smooth browsing, possibility to take a decent picture, a bunch of functional apps (weather, mail, social, ...), and I'll probably use a launcher over the standard UI, and decent battery life.

You can get the Xperia SP on ebay.de for that price. It's better than either of those phones and will get updated to 4.3 in about a month.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sony-Xperia-...81255036832?pt=DE_Handy_s&hash=item2a33a45fa0

snacknuts

we all knew her
don't tempt me to return my Note 3. ahhh

I was on the fence between the two when I was phone shopping. Then Verizon dropped the off contract price of the G2 to $49 until 11/11, and I decided that the Note 3 was not $250 better. New phone and extra money in my pocket. I went ahead and got a wireless charger for the G2 and I'm still way ahead.

One more complaint, though. This thing is a fingerprint magnet the likes of which I have never seen before.

Any recommendations for the best Android tablet under $350 USD? I'm attracted to the Galaxy Tab 3 10" model due to the sylus but I don't hear any good things about it. Is the Nexus 7 the best one under the $350 budget? Any opinions on the Kindle Fire HDX 7" model?

Beezy

What are the positives of the Moto X over the G2? I'm also slumming it up on Verizon and missing out in the Nexus 5 obviously.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What are the positives of the Moto X over the G2? I'm also slumming it up on Verizon and missing out in the Nexus 5 obviously.

Smaller form factor, OS closer to stock, and the always on listening stuff.

Cons are you don't get the 1080p screen nor the S800 chipset nor the larger screen if any of that really matters to you.

FYI GAF is really divided on whether that matters or not.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Cons are you don't get the 1080p screen nor the S800 chipset nor the larger screen if any of that really matters to you.

G2 camera also has OIS.

Aldebaran

The Motorola is the only OEM that enhanced stock Android.
The G2 is fast and has good battery life, but its design is awkward and the skin is so bad it's ridiculous, it looks horrible, they botched the software buttons and they even changed the default font.

SimleuqiR

Well, pricing is a factor. I mean if the Moto X was $250.00 off contract and had the customization available from their website (not through AT&T only) it wouldn't be much of a debate.

The pricing and the exclusivity to the customization is what killed it for me. Specially in a world where the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 exist.

Nicktendo86

So I set up a RMA for my nexus 7 today with Asus as I posted earlier, got home started browsing on my n7. Literally got up to go to the toilet, came back, and suddenly two more dead pixels in roughly the same vertical line have appeared. Wtf?

thespot84

Well, pricing is a factor. I mean if the Moto X was $250.00 off contract and had the customization available from their website (not through AT&T only) it wouldn't be much of a debate.

The pricing and the exclusivity to the customization is what killed it for me. Specially in a world where the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 exist.

I think moto maker is going to other carriers on the 11th (Monday)

Beezy

Thanks guys. What I like about the G2 the most is the screen and the amazing battery, but that's about it. I've only used stock android so far or as close as you can get to it (Motorola Droid & Galaxy Nexus) on Verizon. I'll continue on that route if I don't jump ship to T-Mobile.

tino

Banned

Even if Motox is same price as N5 off contract is still a decent deal but not for the current price.

bjscott05

Got my G2 today. Still pretty shocked amazon honored the $199 off contract price mistake. Heard tons of other people got their order canceled.

Received a notification for that Google rewards app, finally. Got a dollar. I hope I start getting them more often.

Edit: Oh, I see brettison did too. Awesome.

this_guy

I think the Moto X is the perfect size. The G2 also has better specs, screen, and probably the best battery life of any phone right now.

You know what I wish for? Google to remake the G1 with newer hardware. I miss that sliding keyboard and the sound it made every time you swiveled it up and back down.

I'd still be using too if it weren't for unresponsive cupcake or gingerbread or whatever the last update for it was. Way too old at this point.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nexus 7 (2013)

I like mine, feels very premium for the price (I got the 32gb). Only cons are the sucky tablet apps compared to iPad, and the little annoyances like crashing programs. Why such a huge platform like Android can't command the best from developers is mind boggling. Ugly, low res icons and assets on big time brand apps, buggy crash-prone apps, apps that scale horribly to tablet size, etc. I don't get it, because when a developer cares, you can clearly get good apps with good functionality on the platform, but too many apps feel unpolished and unstable.

wilflare

I was on the fence between the two when I was phone shopping. Then Verizon dropped the off contract price of the G2 to $49 until 11/11, and I decided that the Note 3 was not $250 better. New phone and extra money in my pocket. I went ahead and got a wireless charger for the G2 and I'm still way ahead.

One more complaint, though. This thing is a fingerprint magnet the likes of which I have never seen before.

hmm. not having these fabulous deals on the G2 from my part of the world :/
I like the Note 3 hardware.. the battery life is good

but I sure hope to have the G2 KnockOn features and those tasty battery optimizations :/

hmm and LG has announced 4.4 is coming to G2 right?
no news from Samsung yet T_T

vdlow

Who would be the best person in the world and extract the apk from the Google Opinion Rewards app?

I can't install it from Play Store because I live outside the US, but maybe if I sideload it I can try to use it, who knows?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just noticed they aren't selling the wireless charging orb on the Play store anymore. I would have still bought one for my 4. :(

My god finally playing with the Nexus 5. Thought the Kit Kat changes were meh but when you see the new fonts and the changes here and there, it really makes Android so much more pleasant to use. I'm impressed.

The Nexus 5 is a great little phone. I felt like it was worth the upgrade from my 4. Would never have done it though if they charged full price, $600 or whatever. Bless you googy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom