• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My god finally playing with the Nexus 5. Thought the Kit Kat changes were meh but when you see the new fonts and the changes here and there, it really makes Android so much more pleasant to use. I'm impressed.

The Nexus 5 is a great little phone. I felt like it was worth the upgrade from my 4. Would never have done it though if they charged full price, $600 or whatever. Bless you googy.
haven't been this satisfied with a phone in a while

only downside to the nex5 is more of a software thing to me, the camera takes too long to snap a pic.

Nexus 5 is absolutely fantastic. Feels like a much better upgrade than the Nexus 4 was. I did struggle to use the phone with one hand today while I was holding a cake.

It will be interesting to see what the Nexus 4 looks like with 4.4. Nexus 5 exclusive features worry me slightly.

bjscott05

Ugh the stock launcher on the G2 doesn't sort apps alphabetically. Seems to group stock apps together then its just the order of download. Kinda sucks. I guess I'll go back to apex launcher, but I like the transparent nav bars of stock. :(

Ugh the stock launcher on the G2 doesn't sort apps alphabetically. Seems to group stock apps together then its just the order of download. Kinda sucks. I guess I'll go back to apex launcher, but I like the transparent nav bars of stock. :(

Huh you sure? The original Optimus G had that option. Sounds weird to take that away.

gcubed

Nexus 5 is absolutely fantastic. Feels like a much better upgrade than the Nexus 4 was. I did struggle to use the phone with one hand today while I was holding a cake.

It will be interesting to see what the Nexus 4 looks like with 4.4. Nexus 5 exclusive features worry me slightly.

They definitely need to fix the camera. It takes to long to start up and it takes to long to grab focus.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Press the Menu button with the app drawer open and select View Apps By > alphabetical order.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
If anyone is interested I have one N5 32GB for sale. Looking to make a little profit on this...just giving a heads up. If interested PM me.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm not really enjoying hangouts as the new messaging app. Mostly because of the hairy heart. It's creepy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just realized 4.4 on my N7 means it can use Google Wallet tap & pay. (HTC One will also be able to use it.)

Not really useful but it's nice to see Wallet automatically gain more of a potential install base.

GatorBait

Just realized 4.4 on my N7 means it can use Google Wallet tap & pay. (HTC One will also be able to use it.)

Not really useful but it's nice to see Wallet automatically gain more of a potential install base.

Wait...don't you still actually need an NFC chip in the device to make it work, which I thought the N7 was lacking (unless you are talking about the 2012 edition)? Maybe I'm not remembering the details correctly, but I thought Google's solution was to basically emulate the secure element of the NFC chip. You'd still need an actual NFC chip in the phone to tap-and-pay, right?

malfcn

Question, because I didn't notice this until recently.

If I want to install a wallpaper I have some options now.
e7TQGc0.jpg

What is the last option? I don't remember seeing it before.
And if I need to crop the image..

What happened?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I actually used the tap and pay today to buy coffee. First time I every used an NFC payment.

I used it when the GN first came out. It was cool. I hope tap to pay becomes standard. I could do without a wallet. And Bluetooth LE could work. It doesn't have to be NFC.

Cipherr

No kidding? I guess I never realized you could have an NFC chip without the secure element. I guess the 4.4 update explains why Google chose to leave the secure element out of the N7 then.

Probably explains why Verizon is salty and won't activate them also, among other things.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Probably explains why Verizon is salty and won't activate them also, among other things.

Best part of leaving out the secure element is to take more power from the carriers. Google wanted to play ball but the carriers didn't. Now they're worse off. So good.

gcubed

I used it when the GN first came out. It was cool. I hope tap to pay becomes standard. I could do without a wallet. And Bluetooth LE could work. It doesn't have to be NFC.

I never had phone to do it... The vzw gnex was of course crippled. I went to buy my snooty coffee and saw the Google wallet sign so decided to try it, worked fine. I think it works better then before. You don't need to open the wallet app anymore once you set it up as tap to pay

wilflare

Question, because I didn't notice this until recently.

If I want to install a wallpaper I have some options now.

What is the last option? I don't remember seeing it before.
And if I need to crop the image..

What happened?

do you have Google+ installed?
that's the Google+ Photo App (comes together with it)

jokkir

Carbon Rom is very impressive. So much customizability in this ROM and coupled with it being a linaro build + a linaro kernel, it just flies.

Might be hard to switch back to 4.4 at this rate

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I actually used the tap and pay today to buy coffee. First time I every used an NFC payment.

I used it at McD's and to pay for taxis.

Hell, there's a beverage dispenser at the local gym with a credit card reader and Pay Pass support, that I kinda can't wait to use my N5 on lol. Fumbling for my CC just for a drink is kinda lame, and I don't really carry bills anymore...

I wish Play Music would update album art to higher resolution images, seeing tiny jpegs stretched to 1080p isn't the best way to show off 'dat N5 screen.

deroli

Hey Android-GAF! I'm a Xperia SP owner since yesterday and played around with the device a little bit. I like what I've seen so far, the phone is a pretty big upgrade from my little Galaxy Ace. Everything runs much smoother, the display is so much crisper, the battery seems to last longer, it can run apps the Galaxy couldn't etc. BUT there is one thing that annoys me: Whenever I swipe on the screen, my finger leaves a mark which which leads to some weird "pixel distortion". See this pic:

I just realized that the same happens on my Galaxy Ace but it is MUCH less noticable. So my question: Will something like a screen protection film reduce these effects or do I have to live with this screen behaviour? I know I have pretty greasy hands but I can't wash them everytime I pull out my smartphone.

Cipherr

Hey Android-GAF! I'm a Xperia SP owner since yesterday and played around with the device a little bit. I like what I've seen so far, the phone is a pretty big upgrade from my little Galaxy Ace. Everything runs much smoother, the display is so much crisper, the battery seems to last longer, it can run apps the Galaxy couldn't etc. BUT there is one thing that annoys me: Whenever I swipe on the screen, my finger leaves a mark which which leads to some weird "pixel distortion". See this pic:

I just realized that the same happens on my Galaxy Ace but it is MUCH less noticable. So my question: Will something like a screen protection film reduce these effects or do I have to live with this screen behaviour? I know I have pretty greasy hands but I can't wash them everytime I pull out my smartphone.

Should get a screen protector to lessen that effect. I forget which ones prevent that 'rainbow smudge' effect, but there are some.

Look for a matte screen protector. Don't cheap out with the cheapy £/$1 stuff on ebay, if anything they make things worse with smudginess.

Besides the arguably weak camera, what does he exactly think is wrong with the Nexus 5? It seems to be perfectly fine in just about every way though that's possibly a bad thing for some people.

Besides the arguably weak camera, what does he exactly think is wrong with the Nexus 5? It seems to be perfectly fine in just about every way though that's possibly a bad thing for some people.

He was mostly complaining about the camera and how Google said they fixed it, but didn't and how they should've just taken the Nexus 4, put a better camera and LTE in it and everyone would've gone crazy. He also complained about the cheap feel of the device and how it looks and feels like those generic reference designs you see at trade shows from the chip manufacturers, when the demo a new SoC. He agreed with Durate, who said the Nexus 5 is "hardcore plastic", but not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom