• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Best part of leaving out the secure element is to take more power from the carriers. Google wanted to play ball but the carriers didn't. Now they're worse off. So good.

It will make the mobile payment systems more chaotic than it was. and I won't be bother with any of them unless I can get at lease 5% off. Credit card work just fine.

tino

Banned
Because Google are trying to have their cake and eat it by detatching so much of Android's core featureset from AOSP.

Preach it brother. If your phone is rooted, here is no reason not to ditch Chrome and install AOSP browser. Chrome for Android still has low refresh rate during scrolling on Nexus 5, it's unpolished crap. Nexus 5 owners just pretend they don't see it.

Also Google Maps 7 is crippled compare to 6.

Yup, from the second I saw the new Photos app I knew the old Gallery app as we know it would be phased out. The fact that it didn't even get updated at all in 4.4 further cemented that fact.

I'm ok with this. I don't want to have duplicate everything especially AOSP and Google. Makes Android feel so detached from the company that made it. They can kill the default sms app if they want when everyone gets Hangouts.

Also the G+ Photos app made some Auto awesome slideshows/pictures for me in the background, and it is really awesome. I was quite surprised when it took 3 of my identical pictures taken in quick succession, and made a animated gif out of it.

Groof

I'm ok with this. I don't want to have duplicate everything especially AOSP and Google. Makes Android feel so detached from the company that made it. They can kill the default sms app if they want when everyone gets Hangouts.

Also the G+ Photos app made some Auto awesome slideshows/pictures for me in the background, and it is really awesome. I was quite surprised when it took 3 of my identical pictures taken in quick succession, and made a animated gif out of it.

Yeah I really like the Photos app. It's set up nicely and easy to use and manage, not to mention it's Holo light.

Also the SMS app is already gone on the N5.

kinggroin

Banned
Preach it brother. If your phone is rooted, here is no reason not to ditch Chrome and install AOSP browser. Chrome for Android still has low refresh rate during scrolling on Nexus 5, it's unpolished crap. Nexus 5 owners just pretend they don't see it.

Chrome on an N5 scrolls at a near locked 60fps. The only frame rate interruption coming in the form of very slight micro stutters every so often in kinetic long scrolls.

This is coming from someone who not only owns the N5, but absolutely hates on almost all mobile Chrome iterations.

This is a rare case where it behaves for the most part and provides a useable experience for a change.

That said, I'd still go AOSP for its lightweight.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Chrome on the N5. Pages load quickly, no issues with scrolling, even animated gifs work fine (within reason, I'm not going to test it on the Antonio Banderas thread over on the Insane part of gaf).

Although I'd happily trade it for AOSP if/when it becomes available. Can't help but feel that Chrome is more of a resource hog.

deroli

Should get a screen protector to lessen that effect. I forget which ones prevent that 'rainbow smudge' effect, but there are some.

Look for a matte screen protector. Don't cheap out with the cheapy £/$1 stuff on ebay, if anything they make things worse with smudginess.

Thanks for your responses! Will take a look at screen protectors.

BTW, for the first time in my life, it feels like I'm living in the future. I got a Synology Diskstation NAS that offers a few "cloud" features like calendar syncing or a music server/ client system. So, in theory, I can choose from my entire music library on the go. Or add an event on my phone that will automatically be synced to iCal. I don't know if I will ever use these features, but the fact that I could If I wanted to makes me kind of excited in a nerdy way. Of course just using one of the many cloud web services would be more comfortable, but I love tinkering with things like this... IF it eventually works as intended :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The only thing I don't like about the new G+ Photos app is that the share menu is inconsistent from every other single application and paradigm in Android. Which is OK if they plan on making it the standard going forward, but it sticks out now.

Oh and the folder structure for local files still seems a bit weird to me, but not in a way that hampers the use of the app.

I've chosen to always open it instead of Gallery whenever presented with the option, just to be prepared for the switchover. Thinking of outright disabling the gallery too, although, that might mess with the camera... hmm. That's probably why they didn't remove Gallery in KitKat, the integration with the Camera app isn't there yet (swiping to the right to view photos, etc.)

The only thing I don't like about the new G+ Photos app is that the share menu is inconsistent from every other single application and paradigm in Android. Which is OK if they plan on making it the standard going forward, but it sticks out now.

Oh and the folder structure for local files still seems a bit weird to me, but not in a way that hampers the use of the app.

I've chosen to always open it instead of Gallery whenever presented with the option, just to be prepared for the switchover. Thinking of outright disabling the gallery too, although, that might mess with the camera... hmm. That's probably why they didn't remove Gallery in KitKat, the integration with the Camera app isn't there yet (swiping to the right to view photos, etc.)

yeah, you don't want to remove/disable the Gallery...

Tomas Haley-Ohrt
If you disable the gallery, go to the camera, swipe right to see your photos, and then click the upper-left corner, what happens?

Ron Amadeo
+Tomas Haley-Ohrt excellent question. The app closes. That's probably the last thing they need to work out.

Edit: the app closes AND IT DELETES YOUR LAST PHOTO! damn.
https://plus.google.com/+RonAmadeo/posts/WXmHm3DhQsf

-PXG-

The most horrible thing happened this morning....

A super, teeny tiny thin crack is now running across the screen of my Galaxy S4. I dropped it outside on grass. Some how, it was enough force to crack the fucker. It's not really noticeable, but shit. I take REALLY good care of my stuff. This is a real bummer. I'm don't want to use it, in fear I will make it worse.

I have all sorts of custom shit installed. I don't want a new phone, especially one that has a locked bootloader and such. UGH!

is AOSP really all that? i know nothing of it, but ive heard plenty of good things about it. i mainly use chrome because i also use chrome on my pc and the sync is preferred for me.

is AOSP really all that? i know nothing of it, but ive heard plenty of good things about it. i mainly use chrome because i also use chrome on my pc and the sync is preferred for me.

AOSP has quick controls which gives you the benefit of full screen browsing, and it makes things so much easier on large screen phones.

In my experience, I had better battery life when browsing on AOSP rather than Chrome on my N4.

Might not be the case regarding battery life in 4.4 and up since every app that uses the webview rendering engine (like AOSP) now uses a chrome based one.

tino

Banned

Chrome on PC is a lot better than Chrome on android. I don't why they share the same name. Its not like Chrome on Android can use all the extensions I love. On desktop Chrome, I can do global resizing; designate short keywords to search specific search engines etc etc. Tons of features thats not on Android Chrome.

AOSP browser OTOH, has a lay out engine thats much friendlier to view forums. It is very similar to the Android 4.0 browser, and its very smooth. And yes Quick Control is the most ergonomic control scheme on large-screen phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Man I've been rolling with the Chrome beta channel for forever.

I've said this before though. I don't think I'm as anal in terms of battery life as some of you are though.

I've honestly never had a problem with Chrome mobile. It has always worked fine to me.

Chome Beta will occasionally do some wacky things, but it's a beta, so I use it pretty sparingly.

Futureman

Just started the Opinion Rewards... decided to get all 5 seasons of Tim and Eric through this.

total is $79.95... wonder how long it'll take ha.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Google seems to have added hundreds of photos that I've never seen before to my G+ collection... A lot of them with upload dates in the 90s. This is weird.

Edit: Looks like they're coming over from my Drive files, but no idea what the source is.

RoKKeR

I'm about to snap my phone in half. HTC One, and it has randomly called my home phone probably 30 times over the past 2 or 3 days. I think it has something to do with playing music but I have no idea what the source is. I'll be listening to something and then it will stop, and it'll make a random call that instantly gets dropped - always to my home phone number.

Have no idea what it is. Sometimes happens when it's in my pocket, sometimes when I'm sleeping, (sleep w/headphones in) and I can't find a pattern of when it happens. It happens when using HTC's default music app and when using Play Music. Any thoughts? It's rage inducing and has woken my family up even a few times during the middle of the night.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Using Firefox but I'm disappointed LastPass requires a subscription, been using that on my PC for a while. Looking at the eponymous Mobile Password Manager but I'm curious if there are any good free or one time payment alternatives.

mturco

I'm about to snap my phone in half. HTC One, and it has randomly called my home phone probably 30 times over the past 2 or 3 days. I think it has something to do with playing music but I have no idea what the source is. I'll be listening to something and then it will stop, and it'll make a random call that instantly gets dropped - always to my home phone number.

Have no idea what it is. Sometimes happens when it's in my pocket, sometimes when I'm sleeping, (sleep w/headphones in) and I can't find a pattern of when it happens. It happens when using HTC's default music app and when using Play Music. Any thoughts? It's rage inducing and has woken my family up even a few times during the middle of the night.

I don't know how much of a "solution" this is, but doing a factory reset would almost definitely get rid of the issue. That's very odd though.

Try using a different music app and see if it still does it.

gcubed

It will make the mobile payment systems more chaotic than it was. and I won't be bother with any of them unless I can get at lease 5% off. Credit card work just fine.

These are the strangest and most ass backwards posts I've ever seen back to back.

tino

Banned
Look, a bunch of google shills. If you don't want to bring a valid argument to the table, don't make passive aggressive comment about me personally.

I would tell you who I put in my ignore list but last time I did that I was banned for a few days. So I will just roll eyes and move on.

Husker86

These are the strangest and most ass backwards posts I've ever seen back to back.

Speaking of the rewards, though...it has been a while since I used Google Wallet NFC. If I use it, does the charge show up from Google or from the store? Since rewards depend on merchant, this is important.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Using Firefox but I'm disappointed LastPass requires a subscription, been using that on my PC for a while. Looking at the eponymous Mobile Password Manager but I'm curious if there are any good free or one time payment alternatives.
I researched password managers. The good ones all require a subscription for sync purposes. I prefer Dashlane.

Look, a bunch of google shills. If you don't want to bring a valid argument to the table, don't make passive aggressive comment about me personally.

I would tell you who I put in my ignore list but last time I did that I was banned for a few days. So I will just roll eyes and move on.
Come on, brother, we're just having a laugh. This is a Community thread and we're all a part of it. Everyone thinks everything I say is with tremendous anger, Andrex is a cheap, Google shill, gcubed bought a Xoom, Brett works for every company out there, and Faceless should buy an iPhone.

Google really has trouble with auto-brightness don't they. My N4 always had insanely low brightness when I left it on auto and now with the N5 it's always insanely bright and it's destroying my battery.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google really has trouble with auto-brightness don't they. My N4 always had insanely low brightness when I left it on auto and now with the N5 it's always insanely bright and it's destroying my battery.
Buy Lux.

Cipherr

Eh, no need to get all angry about it. Just the wallet post is kind of strange. GWallet was chaotic prior to this change. Available on Nexus phones from Google, but blocked by all carriers except Sprint and I think T-Mobile.

Now it cannot be blocked at all, so its there if you want it. I don't know if wallet services are ever going to try to do something crazy like give you 5% off of all purchases though. That's a bit much. I just like it for the handy digital receipts, ease of use (since I'm on my phone while waiting in line at the register anyway) and hopefully soon (if not now) the ability to store all of my membership cards from all the different stores in it, and the way I can store all of my debit cards and ccards all in the one app and switch between them easily.

If they or any other pay system (Square etc) can manage that, while having wide enough spread locations where it can be used, Ill be happy.

Oh, shut the fuck up with the Google shills thing. You don't like their opinions, so you dismiss them with a straw man? Get out of here.

Eanan

I just installed aosp browser and after rebooting it just has "aosp browser installer" in the app drawer. Where do I actually go to run this app or what's it called in the app drawer?

Doopliss

Have you tried using bookmarklets with Lastpass? They make website logins easy, at least. Apps will still be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom