• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

not sure if this is the place to ask...

but what happens when you flash a new ROM/Firmware update?
do your frozen/uninstalled system apps get reinstated?

can someone point me to a good way to backup my Android phone?
I have exported my Contacts to extSD... I don't use Google Contacts Sync
How do I backup my WhatsApp, LINE, BBM Chat History and SMS?
How do I backup my Downloads, Photos, etc?
How does Titanium Backup factor in the whole equation? I've been using it only to freeze and debloat... lol (do I use it to just save app data?)

What do you guys use for Custom Recovery? TWRP or CWM?

Husker86

4.4 looks like it supports MAP (messaging bluetooth protocol). Google finally getting their bluetooth stack up to speed over the last two releases.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got the one where google sticks its middle finger at me because im not from the US

Google can't quite figure out where I'm supposed to be from. Music works, play store is the us version, but books doesn't work, movies don't work, and it looks like rewards doesn't work. I can't order the nexus devices either, but I bought my n7 from office max down the street. In that regard, only Apple has gotten everything right in terms of allowing me access to everything. Microsoft allows me to buy everything, but I have to lie about my billing address for it to work.

I live in Virgin Islands by the way.

I'm really liking the new Facebook messenger app. Finally doesn't look like complete shit. I don't even mind that it looks more like iOS 7 than Android.

Received another survey from the Google Rewards app. Only received $0.36 for a survey about going to the movies/theatres. $0.36!?? It's going to take way more than 350 surveys to get a free Nexus 5 at this rate.

I got one earlier today for $0.25. And while I wait for 4.4, the new 4.4 inspired beta of Nova does nicely.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I refuse to participate in the surveys. I'm going to let Google make judgments about me for $5 total, probably.

Wag

I just got my Nexus 5 and I'm a total newbie as far as Android is concerned. Anyone offer some tips or some good websites as to where to start?

jokkir

Depends if it's an official or unofficial update. On an official update, you usually don't have to worry about backing up your apps and the likes. You can just update and everything should be smooth.

When flashing a custom ROM however, there are a few things you need to watch out for.
For an Android update like x.1.x update, a 1.x.x or even a x.x.1, it is advised that you do a clean install to avoid problems with the update. For the x.x.1 update, you might not have to worry but let others test it for you and see what their experience is to see if there's any problems.

Another thing is Nightly builds. You should be fine flashing the nightly builds every night without doing a clean install but it has to be the same ROM. For example, if you're installing CM10, you should not install a CM10.2 nightly. This could cause problems and is better if you just do a clean install.

Nope, but if you're using a custom kernel or any app that was placed into system like the Cerberus (root), they will be reset and you need to reflash them. Uninstalled system apps would probably be reinstated.

Titanium Backup if you're rooted and SMS Backup & Restore for texts. Why use SMS Backup & Restore? Because Titanium's SMS restore might fail when going to a newer version of Android and SMS Backup & Restore seems to handle that quite well.

Not too sure about contacts and stuff but I think ROM Toolbox and Titanium Backup can do that.

Use Titanium Backup. SMS I mentioned above.

Anything in external/internal storage, just plug your phone in the computer and copy and paste the contents from your phone to your computer.

How does Titanium Backup factor in the whole equation? I've been using it only to freeze and debloat... lol (do I use it to just save app data?)

It takes the .apk and the data file and backs it up for you and restores it whenever you want it to be restored.

I use TWRP because it's opened source so some apps that do auto flashing can work. I know there's a open source CWM but I'm too lazy to bother finding it.

thespot84

I have exported my Contacts to extSD... I don't use Google Contacts Sync

Most all of this was addressed above. Two additions:

1. I use TWRP except for recently as some roms (specifically 4.4 on my galaxy nexus) require clockworkmod.

2. XDA forums are you friend. Go there. Find your device. Read. A lot. They're a little course around the edges but can be really helpful if you ask informed questions.

wilflare

I use TWRP because it's opened source so some apps that do auto flashing can work. I know there's a open source CWM but I'm too lazy to bother finding it.

2. XDA forums are you friend. Go there. Find your device. Read. A lot. They're a little course around the edges but can be really helpful if you ask informed questions.

thanks guys for your replies! really helped in clarifying my doubts. on my very first Android device ever!

I'm on XDA too... but yes, the community isn't as friendly as GAF :/ been searching hi and lo and I can get different answers to one question. but thanks guys!

preparing my note 3 for a "reformat" gonna install a custom ROM/Kernel

THRILLH0

Banned
Has anyone ever had an issue not being able to see files when connected to Windows?

ie I downloaded a video file which I can find and play on my phone but when I connect to my PC and go to the folder in Windows Explorer, the file is not there.

Zeppu

So I finally got my Nexus 5 in hand in Malta! Woo!!

Erm... I don't have google now. What?

Does it need to be enabled from somewhere?

I added the widget and:

Y48QCpJ.png

mitheor

So I finally got my Nexus 5 in hand in Malta! Woo!!

Erm... I don't have google now. What?

Does it need to be enabled from somewhere?

I added the widget and:

Search for something in google search. Open the settings (inside that app) and enable Google Now.

Zeppu

Search for something in google search. Open the settings (inside that app) and enable Google Now.

Nope. Not possible. Even long press on launcher settings.

Google Now appears briefly with a loading bar at the top then vanishes.

Looks like they disabled it for most countries.

FUCK. YOU. GOOGLE.

FUCK. YOU.

zbeeb

Nope. Not possible. Even long press on launcher settings.

Google Now appears briefly with a loading bar at the top then vanishes.

Looks like they disabled it for most countries.

FUCK. YOU. GOOGLE.

FUCK. YOU.

What if you swipe up from the home button? Does it open Google Now with the intro cards asking you to switch it on?

Zeppu

What if you swipe up from the home button? Does it open Google Now with the intro cards asking you to switch it on?

Nope. Stays on whichever screen you are in and gives you the last 5 search queries.

Seriously. It's not here. I've cleared data/cache/reset whatever. They removed it.

This is the search settings screen.

hzqgsYXl.png

First time I loaded Google Now appeared briefly and then disappeared.

mturco

Nope. Stays on whichever screen you are in and gives you the last 5 search queries.

Seriously. It's not here. I've cleared data/cache/reset whatever. They removed it.

Weird. Maybe try loading a custom ROM?

mitheor

hzqgsYXl.png

That´s weird. It should be right there

Zeppu

what language are you using? Try setting it to us English and see if that works

My default language has always been UK English, but I am aware that a lot of features are only available to US English so I tend to switch to and fro.

Hell, "OK Google" works. Blah. This sucks. I've never felt so disheartened after getting a gadget.

Google doesn't give a shit about anyone except the US.

Even as a Canadian, a ton of Google services are crippled. We still can't even BUY music here let alone subscribe to Google's streaming service.

My dialer also randomly loses the ability to use the nearby places feature which I suspect is because I'm in Canada.

I'm sure the Google search app that ships with the N5 is exclusive to that model at the moment, since its also tied into the new homescreen launcher as well, so chances are that Google Now on the N5 only support countries where it officially launched.

As the new Launcher/Google Search app is released to the market one would assume that support for all other countries will follow. Unfortunately you might have to play the waiting game for full Google Now support to hit Malta. :(

jokkir

thanks guys for your replies! really helped in clarifying my doubts. on my very first Android device ever!

I'm on XDA too... but yes, the community isn't as friendly as GAF :/ been searching hi and lo and I can get different answers to one question. but thanks guys!

preparing my note 3 for a "reformat" gonna install a custom ROM/Kernel

No problem. And yeah, a lot of people on XDA are really annoying lol. But lots are very helpful just try reading around first before asking because you'll get get blasted.

I'm sure the Google search app that ships with the N5 is exclusive to that model at the moment, since its also tied into the new homescreen launcher as well, so chances are that Google Now on the N5 only support countries where it officially launched.

As the new Launcher/Google Search app is released to the market one would assume that support for all other countries will follow. Unfortunately you might have to play the waiting game for full Google Now support to hit Malta. :(

This is extremely stupid though, especially as it's not a US only feature (Google Now works almost anywhere and everywhere), yet Google still acts like US is Pangea.

Zeppu

Thank you XDA, you have made me a happier man

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47350361&postcount=26

Finally managed to solve the problem. here is what i did:
1. uninstall using titanium backup the google search that comes with android 4.4
2. install google search v2.6 manually.
3. set google now by using v2.6
4. update google search to the latest available through play store.
5. manually install google home launcher.

after this select the google launcher and google now should be working. i have done these and i can access is without any problem. can swipe left from home screen to see google now card and all. hope this helps to those who are having the problem still.

Zeppu

wow, that's crazy, WTF Google!?

This is the most backwards ass shit I've read in a long time.

Tell me about it. Nothing dampens the excitement of a new device like some of this shit. Made me hate the phone already. This stupid issue made me look at it in such a negative light that all the ignorant stupid decisions are pissing me off, like the upside down usb charger port, the headphone at the top and the fact that when you put it flat on a table it wobbles when you tab the top left corner because of the stupid camera ring.

Blah.

Tell me about it. Nothing dampens the excitement of a new device like some of this shit. Made me hate the phone already. This stupid issue made me look at it in such a negative light that all the ignorant stupid decisions are pissing me off, like the upside down usb charger port, the headphone at the top and the fact that when you put it flat on a table it wobbles when you tab the top left corner because of the stupid camera ring.

Blah.

I feel the same way because the search nearby places thing in the dialer no longer works for me with no indication as to why. I see some posts about it on XDA and Google's forums but no one else knows why either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom