• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Downloaded the Nova beta just for the transparency, looks damn good but using Nova is a chore. KitKat is great so far and haven't run into any problems yet using ART.

Hmmmm I really shouldn't spend time fiddling with this cos I'd need to sort it out and I should go to bed and my laptop doesn't have the SDK...

(unzips ADT Bundle)

SUPREME1

Banned
Android ‏@Android
Starting today, Nexus 7 (2012 and 2013) and Nexus 10 will be getting a tasty update to Android 4.4, KitKat

Android ‏@Android
Stay tuned, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 versions with mobile data will be getting the update soon!

images

Nexus 10...

Fuck. Yes.

Still best tablet.

SUPREME1

Banned
Android ‏@Android
Starting today, Nexus 7 (2012 and 2013) and Nexus 10 will be getting a tasty update to Android 4.4, KitKat

Android ‏@Android
Stay tuned, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 versions with mobile data will be getting the update soon!

images

Nexus 10...

Fuck. Yes.

Still best tablet.

Got the new Google Now (search) update. This shit is seriously getting to information overload territory. There's no reason for it to pick up every single search and website I go to.

I searched for one rap album on Google and now I keep getting articles about rap artists. If I set the topic to no more updates, it gets permanently placed into the "everything else" section of Google Now. Fuck.

I'm going to have to disable all this frequent website and research topics shit before my Google Now settings get filled with 100s of websites I have no interest getting updates from.

gcubed

Got the new Google Now (search) update. This shit is seriously getting to information overload territory. There's no reason for it to pick up every single search and website I go to.

I searched for one rap album on Google and now I keep getting articles about rap artists. If I set the topic to no more updates, it gets permanently placed into the "everything else" section of Google Now. Fuck.

I'm going to have to disable all this frequent website and research topics shit before my Google Now settings get filled with 100s of websites I have no interest getting updates from.

... just swipe it away and it goes away?

zbeeb

speaking of...

Massive Google Search 3.1.8 Update Rolling Out, Brings Google Experience Launcher To All 4.1+ Devices, New Cards, Completely Fixes GEL On Tablets, And More [APK Download]

vdlow

I've made a difficult decision with my 2012 Nexus 7: installed the 4.3 factory image and then flashed the KitKat zip. Everything clean. A new tablet again. Let's see how performance will be.

... just swipe it away and it goes away?

It doesn't go away. It just dismisses that single story and comes back when there are updates. Besides why would I do that when I can just disable it altogether. I get more garbage than useful info from the website updates and research topic cards.

Now this Vancouver clubbing website is going to be stuck in my Google Now settings forever.

gcubed

It doesn't go away. It just dismisses that single story and comes back when there are updates. Besides why would I do that when I can just disable it altogether. I get more garbage than useful info from the website updates and research topic cards.

Now this Vancouver clubbing website is going to be stuck in my Google Now settings forever.

when i swipe away my search results, they never come back

gblues

Banned
What's the difference between odexed and deodexed?

Odexing is the process of extracting the class file and making it execute-ready for Dalvik, which speeds up app launching.

If you don't plan on doing any fancy themes or modding, get the odexed version.

bjscott05

I hate that Twitter changed their design back to the iOS(ish) design with the black bar toward the top. I'm in their beta testing program...I wonder if I need to be in the alpha group now?

Why do you say that? I'm using it right now and it's working just fine. In fact that's what I came to post about in this thread. Haven't noticed any issues at all so far.
It's pretty hitchy for me so far, not sure if I can take it. However, I'll give it a fair shake and try it out for a couple of days. Aviate is boring me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's pretty hitchy for me so far, not sure if I can take it. However, I'll give it a fair shake and try it out for a couple of days. Aviate is boring me.
I noticed that when I installed it first. I was using Nova prior to this one, so I made the Google launcher the default one, restarted my phone and haven't had any issues. Try restarting it to see if you notice a difference because I did!

What I like about GEL most is that it doesnt try and stretch smaller resolution wallpapers (and make them look low-res and zoomed in in the process) but rather crops them iOS style, without scrolling.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What I like about GEL most is that it doesnt try and stretch smaller resolution wallpapers (and make them look low-res and zoomed in in the process) but rather crops them iOS style, without scrolling.

Except it does that to the icons.

I can't have horizontal pages i. My app drawer either. Icon size and app drawer style are deal breakers for me when it comes to GEL. Back to Nova for me.

Except it does that to the icons.

I can't have horizontal pages i. My app drawer either. Icon size and app drawer style are deal breakers for me when it comes to GEL. Back to Nova for me.

Most apps have hi res icons so it's not that bad. I had so many wallpapers that looked good when downloaded, but simply looked bad when applied, because of the scaling on the stock launcher.

But yeah, it is a bit hard to get used to. Looks iOS-ed.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People who say there are no benefits of a 1080P mobile screen are off their rockers. The Nexus 5 screen is much sharper than the 4's 720P screen. And that's with the washed out factory color calibrations.

The Moto G is a really big deal, why is nobody talking about it? It's much more disruptive than the Nexus 5.

I talked to some people about it and they seemed unbothered by it. It's not really the kind of thing that affects anyone who is tech-savvy, I think, as they will probably want to go for a flagship anyway.

But yeah, it's a huge deal. Will be recommending it solidly to anyone who asks about cheap phones.

Threi

notag
The Moto G is a really big deal, why is nobody talking about it? It's much more disruptive than the Nexus 5.
People don't give a shit about non-flagships meant for "dirty poors"

...I say fuck those people. I hope it does disrupt the market like the OG Nexus 7 did. I would love to see more competition and focus on the lower to mid range market for phones.

Nokia was eating their lunch with the Lumia 520 and 521, but the Moto G is going kick that guy down the cliff. It's just a fantastic phone for the price.

They won't be selling it in the eastern/northern europe, so that's a problem.

They'll sell it in Europe, but they won't launch it everywhere on the same day.

"Motorola is launching the Moto G in Brazil and parts of Europe today, with availability expected in the coming weeks for the rest of Latin America, Europe, and Canada. "

That should be enough to kill the 520.

With Google's recent design overhaul and changes, I welcome my new smartphone overlord.

uJm6AXp.png

Mindwipe

4.4 seems like a bust to me. I'm reading that it still doesn't fix the rampant bluetooth keyboard bugs, and you loose App Ops.

I am very, very unhappy that the bluetooth issues have been ignored again. Very.

bob page

I hate that Twitter changed their design back to the iOS(ish) design with the black bar toward the top. I'm in their beta testing program...I wonder if I need to be in the alpha group now?

Isn't this how it used to be (except without the bar being black)? I vastly prefer that style to their more recent navigation bar efforts.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
People who say there are no benefits of a 1080P mobile screen are off their rockers. The Nexus 5 screen is much sharper than the 4's 720P screen. And that's with the washed out factory color calibrations.

I don't disagree. Plus it allows native 1080p playback without and scaling.

I'm just not sure if we need more than this right now though. I was a proponent of the jump from 720p to 1080p. I'm just not sure if we need 4k on phones quite yet despite that being on the near future roadmap.

I don't disagree. Plus it allows native 1080p playback without and scaling.

I'm just not sure if we need more than this right now though. I was a proponent of the jump from 720p to 1080p. I'm just not sure if we need 4k on phones quite yet despite that being on the near future roadmap.

I hope that battery tech is the next big thing.

Unfortunately it won't be, it's just not as marketable as 4k screens or 50mp ultrapixel cameras.... Or coloured plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom