• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soodanim

I just updated Hangouts (Nexus 4) and tried out the SMS feature. I'm not a fan of it thanks to the swipe to archive feature (that you can't disable), especially not after using Chomp, but it got me thinking: is there a way to pull contact pictures from Facebook en masse? The lack of customisation in Hangouts (and the other stock messaging app) means not having pictures makes the message threads look so bad, and manually doing the whole Facebook > picture > crop thing is painful.

JonnyBrad

I just updated Hangouts (Nexus 4) and tried out the SMS feature. I'm not a fan of it thanks to the swipe to archive feature (that you can't disable), especially not after using Chomp, but it got me thinking: is there a way to pull contact pictures from Facebook en masse? The lack of customisation in Hangouts (and the other stock messaging app) means not having pictures makes the message threads look so bad, and manually doing the whole Facebook > picture > crop thing is painful.

Google Haxsync

this_guy

Try ubersync or sync.me in the Play Store.

jokkir

What are your guys top 5 apps? I'm trying to see what I can get using my credit I won from the Kitkat Contest. And yes, I checked the App thread already :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What are your guys top 5 apps? I'm trying to see what I can get using my credit I won from the Kitkat Contest. And yes, I checked the App thread already :p

Chrome
Hangouts
Gmail
Comixology
Rise of the Blobs

Not including Google's apps?

Comixology
Vine
Rise of the Blobs
Wind-Up Knight
Uber

n5uxDFO.jpg

If its paid apps that you look for I'm mostly using:

Timely full version
Unified remote full version
Smart tools

Or let's say the only frequent paid apps I use right now. Most of the good and popular stuff is free anyway unless you have specific needs.

this_guy

Putting this question out there to all of Android-GAF on 4G LTE...

On average, how much data do you use every month?

I use about 1.5gb/month, but I don't stream video or music. I have a spotify account and only listen to music that I've downloaded or when I'm at home on wifi. Mainly browse the web during my lunch break, Facebook, and Pulse newsreader.

Cipherr

Do any of you guys use Google Play Music for streaming? I'm considering switching to it from Spotify as album covers are still borked on KitKat.

100% these days. Once they put in the "If you feel lucky" recommendation thing that plays music based on your library and listening habits + improved their radio stations suggestion I have stopped using everything else. Its really really good.

vivftp

Just jumped off the ios bandwagon due to being fed up of small screens and high-priced ipad minis.
I am deciding between xperia Z1, SGS4 or HTC one.
Which should I pick?
Thanks.

Xperia Z Ultra!

Go insanely big, or go home :) I'll be getting my own Z ultra very soon and I can't wait!

Wait hangouts doesn't replace stock messages app? Why both? I just noticed this Google photos app out of nowhere on my apps list. Did it somehow push it self to my device? I hate duplicate apps. Please tell me this is fixed in 4.4. I haven't been following this shit.

Also where the fnfnekwiwneneje is my 4.4?

Wait hangouts doesn't replace stock messages app? Why both? I just noticed this Google photos app out of nowhere on my apps list. Did it somehow push it self to my device? I hate duplicate apps. Please tell me this is fixed in 4.4. I haven't been following this shit.

Also where the fnfnekwiwneneje is my 4.4?
On 4.4 you have both Hangouts and Messages, at least I do on my N4. Hangouts for me does everything so Messages is hidden via Apex, in a future Android update Messages will probably go away. And Google Photos is part of the Google+ app and in the future will replace the built in Galleries app.

So lots of duplication:
  • Hangouts/Messages
  • Gallery/Google Photos
  • Quickoffice/Drive
  • Maps/Earth (wish they would merge)

I guess I'll ask this here also:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the built in encryption tool? When you start it, does the encryption get to 100% then reboot to ask for a password then reboot again into the lock screen? I am trying to figure out if it was a successful encryption. If it failed, would it have shown an error?

I used it on my Nexus 7.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OS updates will never delete an app that was part of the initial device ROM. So even after Chrome came out and became the default browser in 4.1, 4.0 devices still had the stock "Browser" in addition to Chrome even after getting updated to 4.1. My Galaxy Nexus still has the stock Browser to this day. Only on new phones coming out will you see only Hangouts and not "Messages," and even then it might be added back in by OEM ROMs. But stock Google-version Android? It's only Hangouts from here on out.

Google Photos is an interesting case. From the 4.4 leaks it seems like it was indeed intended to completely replace "Gallery," the same way Hangouts did with Messages. However it seems like they weren't able to get the "Camera -> Swipe to Right -> View Photos" functionality working in time for 4.4's release. And in fact, if you disable the Gallery and try to just use Google Photos, it will delete the last picture you took if you do Swipe to Right!

Quick Office and Drive will likely remain separate for a while longer, they do kind of serve two different use cases even if it would make sense for Quick Office's features to be built into Drive. They seem to be positioning it as its own app, maybe try and convince die-hard MS Office holdouts who hate even the term "Google Docs/Drive" to use it.

Maps/Earth should never have been different apps in the first place.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't want shitty Earth on my phone, period.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have my Nexus 4 and 5 still. Scrolling on Chrome Beta on the 5 is incredibly smooth. Not as smooth on the 4. I have ART enabled, fwiw.

shamo42

I don't want shitty Earth on my phone, period.

I have my Nexus 4 and 5 still. Scrolling on Chrome Beta on the 5 is incredibly smooth. Not as smooth on the 4. I have ART enabled, fwiw.

The 4.4 update makes non-chrome browsers as slow as chrome because of the new Chrome WebView.

Dolphin Browser on 4.3 >>>> Dophin Browser on 4.4 / Google Chrome

What a shame... I miss the original WebKit webview already. No more smooth scrolling on theverge.com :-/ (except for people with a Nexus 5 or similar fast devices)

jokkir

is CyanogenMod based off 4.4? I want to do something with my stock Verizon GNex but I'm not sure what!

Cyanogenmod is based off AOSP. The number that follows "Cyanogenmod" dictates which Android version it is. For example, CM9 was based off Ice Cream Sandwich or Android 4.0, and CM10 was based off "Jellybean" or Android 4.1.

Cyanogenmod jumps to whole numbers for every major Android version (or if it's Google says there's a new name). That's why there was Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Android 4.2 Jellybean and Cyanogenmod 10.2 for Android 4.3.

Anyway, with that said, there is a Cyanogenmod for Kitkat and it's Cyanogenmod 11. Just go to their site and see if it's released on your specific device. But chances are, since Kitkat is new, you're going to be on an Alpha build that may or may not be buggy and will definitely be missing a lot of additional features to a more fleshed out and mature build from CM10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom