• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a particular thread I could post in about just tablets?

I'm looking to buy one and trying to find one that would have all of the applications I'm looking for. I don't know much about tablets, obviously. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Nokia was eating their lunch with the Lumia 520 and 521, but the Moto G is going kick that guy down the cliff. It's just a fantastic phone for the price.

Isn't the 520 still just half the price? The moto g will be successful, more than the X for sure, but not sure if it'll disrupt the market as some are hoping...

Isn't the 520 still just half the price? The moto g will be successful, more than the X for sure, but not sure if it'll disrupt the market as some are hoping...

It will. If Google/Mot advertise it properly they will destroy whatever share Nokia had with the 520. Especially once Nokia Lumia becomes Microsoft Lumia. So much of the WP gain is based on the 520 (and a bit on the 620). The Moto G is a defence of the low end market in Europe by Google because Samsung mate absolute shit for that price range and Sony don't make anything in that price range. It will also help Moto build up their brand in parts of the world where it has been a non-factor for a few years.

Is there a particular thread I could post in about just tablets?

I'm looking to buy one and trying to find one that would have all of the applications I'm looking for. I don't know much about tablets, obviously. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
There are specific tablet OT's but I'm not sure about a general thread. What kind of apps are you looking for?

Android wise the Nexus line is still the best choice.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 520 is closer to 150 than 99 in European markets.

The price will likely drop some more on the 520, it'll still be cheaper. I'm more worried that the loss of the Nokia brand next year may actually hurt the Lumia brand, but we will see. It was only a matter of time before low end android phones ceased to suck. I don't think MS/Nokia are surprised by the G, last year's high end tech is more than good enough for the average consumer, and that's what's been pushed down to the lower end pretty rapidly.

kharma45

The price will likely drop some more on the 520, it'll still be cheaper. I'm more worried that the loss of the Nokia brand next year may actually hurt the Lumia brand, but we will see. It was only a matter of time before low end android phones ceased to suck. I don't think MS/Nokia are surprised by the G, last year's high end tech is more than good enough for the average consumer, and that's what's been pushed down to the lower end pretty rapidly.

I'd argue Nokia has been a bit complacent with the 525. They've upped the RAM in it from the leaks but that's it. It's a pretty disappointing effort and whilst the G has its own negatives against it when the 525 launches it'll not be far off the price of the G and I can see most choosing it.

There are specific tablet OT's but I'm not sure about a general thread. What kind of apps are you looking for?

Android wise the Nexus line is still the best choice.

Thanks. I basically need something that will allow me to pull up information from my online school. So, I would need something that has the ability to read PDF and preferably can use Flash. I would like the screen to be at least 10 inches, and do some websites (namely academic types) require you to have Word to view certain files? I realize that is a really stupid question, but I really don't know much about it.

Any netflix stuff/games would just be an added bonus.

Thank you. I'll look into this one as well.

Flashed the 4.4 OTA to the Mrs' N7 (2012) and also installed GEL.

Swiping across the home screens seems fine, and it looks so much nicer with the transparent system bars, but swiping left to the Now page causes a definite drop in the fps.

yyzjohn

Banned

Swiping across the home screens seems fine, and it looks so much nicer with the transparent system bars, but swiping left to the Now page causes a definite drop in the fps.

Do you get that error where the keyboard pops up after you press the home button?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks. I basically need something that will allow me to pull up information from my online school. So, I would need something that has the ability to read PDF and preferably can use Flash. I would like the screen to be at least 10 inches, and do some websites (namely academic types) require you to have Word to view certain files? I realize that is a really stupid question, but I really don't know much about it.

Any netflix stuff/games would just be an added bonus.

Thank you. I'll look into this one as well.

You don't need flash.

All tablets have PDF reader apps available.

All tablets have programs that can open office files.

Sounds like you need something more for school so I'd just get either a cheap non rt Win 8 device or a Chromebook.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just switched over to ART and wow, it is noticeably faster. None of the patented Android lag. And I'm pretty sensitive to lag and hesitation.

This is great. I suspect ART will headline Android 5.0

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I installed a SWF player since I need to watch the things my animator pal makes for me. Otherwise I don't need it in a browser, unless I wanted to go to Newgrounds which is perhaps the only worthwhile exception.

I just switched over to ART and wow, it is noticeably faster. None of the patented Android lag. And I'm pretty sensitive to lag and hesitation.

This is great. I suspect ART will headline Android 5.0

I always wondered if Android would catch up to iOS smoothness first or if iOS would catch up to Android functionality (default apps, inter-app sharing) first.

Same here on my GS3, been trying it today, but don't think I'm going to sick to it.

Zeppu

4shQdix.png

See the bit at the end there. I, erm, didn't charge my phone...

Brb buying geiger meter.

So I got charged for the Nexus 5 I ordered. On the google play site it says you will be charged when your order ships. I went on the site and it says my order will ship on the 22nd. Is it shipping early or did i get charged early?

I tried calling their support but when I dialed an option they would hang up on me.

yyzjohn

Banned
Nexus 4 Kit Kat factory images are out.

After I just went through the pain of the ADB sideload of the 4.4. update file for my 2012 nexus 7. This would have been far easier with fastboot. Oh well. I'll download it for future use.

Edit: nakasi 4.4. image not downloading, something wrong with their link.

yyzjohn

Banned
4shQdix.png

See the bit at the end there. I, erm, didn't charge my phone...

Brb buying geiger meter.

I actually noticed that too one day. There was a little spike in my battery level when I never plugged the phone in..made no sense other than the app has a bug.

Marco1

Just jumped off the ios bandwagon due to being fed up of small screens and high-priced ipad minis.
I am deciding between xperia Z1, SGS4 or HTC one.
Which should I pick?
Thanks.

DagsJT

So I've gone from the Nexus 5 binaries that were released and ported to the N4 and just flashed the KitKat factory image ... and I kinda miss the hacked version. GEL just isn't there? Still got five homescreens and no swipe left for Google Now ... isn't that standard in KitKat?

Groof

I suppose the launcher needs to be "transparency-compatible". Action Launcher in the latest beta is compatible, Nova and GEL also are.
It supports the APIs, but it's not there on the lock screen. You can enable it in whatever launcher you want, but that won't change the lock screen.

Groof

So buggy stuff I've found in 4.4:

If your launcher supports transparency on notification bar and soft keys and you pull down the notification shade it should turn black. However if you try to expand a notification, the bar will go invisible again.

On GEL, if you swipe up for Google now and swipe back left, the launcher will have gone back to its original layout. Pressing the home button will return it to your customised state.

In GEL app drawer, my notification bar turned a darker shade than the rest of the background. Don't know what caused this though.

No transparency on the N7 and N4 lock screen. Fix this shit, Googs.

Edit: for the record this is all on a 2013 Nexus 7.

Aldebaran

Just jumped off the ios bandwagon due to being fed up of small screens and high-priced ipad minis.
I am deciding between xperia Z1, SGS4 or HTC one.
Which should I pick?
Thanks.
If you are in the US the Moto X is an excellent choice. Nexus 5 and HTC One are good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom